Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    ric - had to google statins...now i know, hope all turns out ok. :
    Simon - thats about 4 yrs worth of xc for me..but then im adverse to mud.  :)  ALso when is the home nations xc ?  have you been bumped up the list yet?
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Cheers Dean.

Meanwhile, welcome to planet insomnia. 03:50 this morning so watching cricket and researching statins to see if I've missed anything. Found this in the details -Co Q10?

Never heard of it. Thought it was some intractable medical reference until I googled it.

Bought some. Probably an item in the world of 'marginal gains'.

Simon, that list of XC fixtures. In Harrow AC there's one Jim Cooper who each year sets his stall out and does every fixture on the list. There's a trophy for this sort of thing.

Of course, I haven't forgotten (maybe forgiven as well) Cooper overtaking me in Harrow Rec, while I was en route to first finisher in the parkrun while he was doing a longer steady! cheek!

🙂

• Options

Ric - Know Jim, saw him and had a chat at Mansfield!

Dean - told them I wasn't doing it, got to save for Poland anyway tbh. It's this weekend.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon in mass racing shocker. Probably the only one on the thread who makes my current all time highest yearly total of 30 look miniscule  :D

Knew I needed a session today, as I prefer a saturday lazy day this week.

Needed something tempo/thresholdy, so adapted one of the previous sessions, and went for

4x1600m Threshold off 1min, and followed by 6x200m off 1min.

Aim 1.28 lap former, and 37 at slowest for 200s.

All 1.28 or quicker, and all 200s 35-36.

Made me think years back I did 8x200 as a session.Quicker reps obviously, but shows how short a session that one was!!

46.5m for the week so far, a 4 later, then flexi on length of long run Sunday, but at least a 13. 
    Chasing that 3,000 yearly total, and I need an average of 61 a week here on in. Monday 31st December is my overflow day to tidy it up if needs be :)
  • Options
    This will be my lowest number of races in a year since 2004 (not counting parkruns of course!) with 1 road race, 1 fell and 1 multi-terrain!

Good session again SG.

Ric - I share your pain with sleeping at the moment. Hopefully you can get the balancing right with the meds in due course. 

Yesterday's morning run was dire - felt more fatigued than the last few miles of a marathon! So, will now take a few days off and try to get out on the bike instead. Not really bike weather today mind, but need's must or I'll end up a lard arse :smiley: ....
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sleep? I find no matter what time you go to bed, 6am always comes too soon :)

That's a shame with the races Bus. Not a vintage year! However, 2019 is another year old son!
    Need to get a few road race trips in the mixer for sure.

Hoping 2019 is going to be an extravaganza Datchet wise. Hopefully the 12 stage relays regional and national, the vets relay, and also Endure 24.
    Could be a good year, and breaking new ground with the latter (hopefully that's all that's broken!!)
  • Options
    I reckon the Rees/Rackman thing is a motivation issue. They would have been very good younger but if they had been very good younger, they would have set times that they'd never be able to match later in life. In turn they would have satisfied their PB ambitions and if they carried on running it would be for enjoyment. I still see my PBs ahead of me but if I'd run properly when I was younger, I'd probably just do fun events/fell races, things that weren't directly comparable to my heyday.

I am still fucking ill. Did a run on Wednesday but it was pretty awful. I managed 8:19 per mile at 142 bpm. I was trying to keep it below 140 but I also didn't want to walk. I checked back for a pre-illness run in October and I ran 7:19 per mile at 141 bpm on exactly the same route. Missed 4 XC already and starting to doubt if I will be well enough for the next one.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's also why runners move up in disto Reggie.  Absolutely extinguish any development there, then keep the pace for longer.
    Much easier that way then trying to go down the distances like most of us!

On my run today I remembered this fat lad from the town on my one real year of being out every weekend, mid 20s. A real arrogant sales person type character. His surname, which was German, would give an accurate description of him if pronounced in an English style (hard K end rather than the ch as a clue)

He was certain he'd be able to race 100metres in 12 seconds!

I reckon he'd have been fortunate to beat 18. Shame we didn't put it to the test

Hope the illness passes soonings.
    Get back fit for the Tadley XC. That's the one the geniuses have left a massive 6 week gap to after HX!
  • Options

Hope the lurgy leaves you alone soon Reggie, what a pain, likewise Bus Nothing the last coupe of days due to work and Parly hill tomorrow - apart from the usual 5m total to and from work.

SG - That german guy reminds me of the classic John Motson..'And there are the German substitutes.....................Kuntz' :) as they cut him off. Bit harsh there john!!

Anyway - who's doing the Aylesbury 5k Boxing day. Be nice if we could have a sneaky pint after too. Don't think I'm rushing off to Spurs - Bmth after..

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Potentially Simon. To see if I can reverse my slow down year on year there!
    Probably didn't help when they put the start line about 80metres further back last year, plus the going in knowing it won't be a fast one. And obviously the time of year!

Ok i'll save other disclaimers for the time!!

ps this guy's name is mild versus that example! Classic Moore commentary, with the big pause beforehand!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Cheers Bus, my GP asked me the other day how I felt about the continual investigations and scans I have?

All I could say is that since I haven't been aware of being ill in any way since the business started around 20 years back, I'll just have to trust the system.

On the other hand it could be a case of not knowing how crap I felt until I started feeling better.

Certainly feeling better at the moment. Already on 45 miles this week, with an 11 miler following on from the brisk 8 miles the previous day. Missed a couple of days on the bike, but that'll keep.

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    On the subject of exercise and burning Kcals.

Over-rated. Eat less, and eat better of what you eat less of.

For instance, the 15 miler I've just knocked off has; according to Garmin, used 1277 Kcals.

Just a one off meal for many.

68 mile week incidentally. Might have a spin on the bike later, after a kip. Been awake since 04:15.

🙂

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Massive mileage Ric; the statins seem to be good for you already🙄

So today was Gosport Half and with the wind forecast at 15mph (so not enough to justify binning it), an early start it was and off to the seaside. No probs with the journey (nor parking SG😁) was there for 9am and plenty time for the prelims. 

Race off bamg on 10am and hard to know how to play it. 1st 5k or so with a tailwind and also 11-16k but the rest of the 2 lapper into the wind. Decided to just run to feel and try and bank some 3'50ish k's which worked to get me through 5k in just over 19 and held on through the 1st tougher part to be 41'15 at the halfway turn. That seemd too good to be true as no way was I on shape for 82'30: so it proved!

Passed by a few now and then after that but most seemed to slow gradually like me. Got to 10 miles or 16k in 64 so still harboured hopes of sub 85. However lack of endurance (and the race measuring 21.2k for me not 21 due to not taking the best racing line) meant I faded a bit more and ended 1'25'37. Still very happy with that time and won £35 and a bandanna for 2nd in my age cat. Overall about 140th of 1675 mostly club runners so ok Oddly an identical time to the second to my only 2017 HM and over 3 mins quicker than my only other this year at Fleet. 

Had a chat after with Scott E, a popular one time regular on here who was there with Alton Sports. Pleased to report he was in good spirits and family situation healthwise seems to be a lot better now.

A HM still feels like a very hard day's effort for me. Glad I can park that sort of distance till at least Spring '19 now🙂 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's always a good achievement racing a half Pete. Shouldn't be overlooked, it's always a long old way! Must feel a huge distance off your mileage and lack of long runs too!

Nice swag too. And sod's law that Scott's there for this one, not the 3 or 4 south coasters I've been at this year :)

Ric, you're suddenly at the peak of mileage! Hope you can keep it nicely up there from here on in.

14 for me today, to complete a 64.5mile week, which has to be the highest for a good 3-4months.

Pretty much covered the old Wycombe half course, but with the start and finish different. Put a different steep hill in near the start instead. Always a right old blower when you climb 200feet or so within the first couple of miles of a long one.

• Options
    Thought you might have wanted to steer clear of that route SG!

BIg miles Ric - I just about got over half of that with today's 10 :smile:

Good work Pete - if the wind today was anything like yesterday's on the bike, that's a good time. Not such much a fast wind, but just felt like really thick air!!!

Good to hear that Scott is in a good place too.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good race there Pete. I assume you had a parkrun as the standard preliminary warm up for what can be a rather tough event.

I've done Gosport before. You cruise along along for miles in one direction, turn a corner and it's into a wall of wind to even things up. 

Cold dry air is about as dense as it gets, which is why it's more difficult to ride a bike at speed in the stuff.
    You would think that damp cold air is denser but apparently not. One for physicists to explain.

Yesterday's 15 miler was a 'see how it goes' job. Just padded along monitoring the situation and went from there. 

If I add cycling as running equivalent mileage, I'm currently averaging a ton plus.

🙂

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Thanks SG, Bus and Ric. How many cycling miles make a running mile Ric?

Yes Gosport is still like that except its more black and white now on the new course. Pretty much just straight 5k tailwind, 5k headwind and repeat. To be fair the wind wasn't bad yesterday at about 15mph so prob little impact on times.  
  • Options
    A shorter than normal week after a complete week of rest following my turned ankle. It is much easier to stop and let things recover when you have an impact injury as opposed to a niggle that gets progressively worse.

Nice run out along the Ridgeway yesterday. I saw lots of cycles with numbers and googled it later and there was a CX Sportive at the same time. I don't really understand sportives at the best of times so adding a CX to the front of it makes less sense so maybe one of the cyclists can explain a bit more?

If I look at running, then I either train or race. A sportive is not a race so is it just an organised training ride with medals and timing and if so why the **** pay £31 for the pleasure of doing so? 
  • Options
    Ah, that explains why I saw a bloke on a CX covered in mud doing something at some kind of checkpoint then!

I reckon it's roughly 2 bike miles effort for 1 running, but it depends on intensity to a certain degree as it's easier to cruise along on a bike than running!
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Few reasons Philip; hubs en route often with mechanics and spare bike parts as well as energy focused sustenance, camaraderie, getting a view of your pace riding more in a larger group, not having to keep stopping to check directions on a long ride and of course bragging to bore your friends afterwards! I did IoW sportive in the summer with my 12 year old, my bro and his lad and was great fun (even if my daughter hasn't wanted to ride since!). Would never take her on a 70k ride just the 2 of us. London 100 is really just a glorified Sportive too isn't it? 

BTW yes Ric of course I did parkrun on Saturday, but I'm getting a bit more sensible in my dotage so only coasted round with my daughter in 26'xx. 
  • Options

Morning all - just briefly de-lurking to report a 10k pb yesterday.

43:27, which is 25 seconds off my previous pb from April and a full 1.25 faster than the same race this time last year. In fact, since last April I've taken 2.29 off my 10k time in 18 months. I appreciate it will get harder to keep knocking off large chunks as I get quicker, but I'm enjoying it while I can! Ultimate goal would be to get down sub40 at some point.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    2 miles on a bike for 1 running Bus? Come on son, that'd be the most generous conversion in the history of the world  :D

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    nice one Andy D. No reason you can't keep smacking that down for a fair while yet.
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

good running there Pete, nice to take a prize and a bold philosophy banking the time like that. Are you planning on more HMs in the spring? Could be worth investing in some longer / easier runs if you are.

AD - sounds like you need to be getting a few more races in so that you can keep chipping away. Nice work!

I'm still trying to keep the focus on Perivale in a couple of weeks' time. 5 * 6 min miles looks straightforward on paper when you've recently run a HM at 6:12s but speed doesn't seem to come easy to me. Got to give it a go though.

• Options
    Congratulations on the Gosport half prizes Pete, though not sure bandanna wearing is something I could get along with. Don't envy you dealing with the wind when you're right on the edge in the last 5k of a half.

Top mileage Ric, Stevie. 55 miles over the last week for me.

Good the ankle held up Philip.

Well done on the pb Andrew. After dipping in and out of the Middle Ground thread, it looks like you've got plenty of scope for improvements, judging from your reported mileage. 

I had a go at that parkrun at the weekend - it was closer to 10k effort though as I'd forgotten my barcode and knowing the result wouldn't get recorded I didn't quite commit. 17.17 on my watch, with a generous allowance over the line. 

Also rediscovered my trail legs with an 8m trail race round a country park which, with a touch of warmth lingering, I have to say was glorious (and even better trotted round at marathon effort within a longer run). Still nearly went flat on my face three times, and dread to think what any photos of me crossing the stream would look like.
  • Options
    The Bus said:
    I reckon it's roughly 2 bike miles effort for 1 running, but it depends on intensity to a certain degree as it's easier to cruise along on a bike than running!
    Depends on what exact conversion you want. I always reckon cyclists go twice as fast for half the effort so mile for mile that is a factor of 4.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    First of all, well done on the pb Andrew. A rarity for many of us around here.

Cycling miles equating to running miles?

I don't use distance, I put it down as a time component.

My experiments with HR monitors seems to indicate that for any given effort, the HR on a bike averages around 20 bpm less than running.

That has led me to run with what feels like less effort, yet cycle with what feels like more effort. That way, the loading comes out as the same.

But that is merely a side issue to how I calculate RE (Running Equivalent) mileage.

Currently for me, 8:30 minutes of cycling equates to one mile of running. And for all the easy miles running, I hardly ever not push the pace on a bike.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    For me, a cycled mile would probably be harder than 60miles of running in fairness  :D
  • Options

2-3 times effort for running than cycling isn't it?

Well done Pete and AD on their races and decent trail and PR Muddy (awaits ML's report on his swift 10 miler too..)

London champs on Saturday at a glorious Parliament Hill - course was supposed to be 10K, but was measured at about 10.6k. Same format as usual - you start by the cross path over the classic Southern start, do one small lap (this was supposed to be 1k - but was obviously about 1.6k) and then three 3k laps, missing out the far back field you do at the Southern. Went out quite conservatively and felt pretty good, not as good as last week.

The course was nice and dry, but then the issue is the ground is quite rutted so I was glad to finish with my ankles intact, apart from the start I don't think anyone overtook me. No real dramas tbf - ended up with 29th place in 37.50 - 2 secs behind the guy I was 2 secs behind last week!..

Did the hilly 17 yesterday and the long commute today. Not helped by getting dead leg this morning as some twat whacked me with a fold up Brompton bike at Euston.

• Options
    Good work AD, and nice going at Parly Hill Simon. That's a stacked 3 days! 

Yes SG, as I say, roughly 2:1 run v cycle miles.  I base this on calories burned, which, for me, is fairly consistent at about 100 cal per mile for running and 50 cal per mile for cycling.  Of course, you need to be able to ride a bike to start with :smiley: