Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - i had to do a quick conversion there, 16M, very nice. I have LT 50 to go too, hope to get there Sunday or Monday.
  • Options
    I normally work in miles too TR but the TM is metric so I did a metric marathon.
    You'll be there just before me by the sounds of it. Reckon I'll hit the 3K on Christmas Day or maybe even Boxing Day.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I'll have hopefully done about 10 double digit days in a row by Christmas, so I'm defo having a day off Christmas day, (i never run Christmas day anyway as it's a family day). I havnt had a day off since the few zeros after Abo so it'll be about 2 months by then and long overdue. Im aiming to get nicely over 300 now for December.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    10 more this morning, tried for around the 20%/10% P and D paces, ended up with 5 av 8.23 and 5 av 7.07, so a bit quick in second 5. Took a bit of effort and concentration, will probably do me good to do a bit more of this.
  • Options
    2 hours on the treadmill Jools I know I wouldn't relish that 

I don't recall it raining that much up here, but it turns out it has! Road trainers on muddy fields weren't great this morning, back to back 10s mean I should match last weeks 50. 

Re P&D 

I'm feeling a little bit twitchy that I have a 10 mile race 5 weeks Sunday, and manc is only 10 weeks after that. 
    Usually my nature is to try and break the back of something as early as possible so I was rather hoping to have had a few tempo runs and more 20s under my belt at this point. I guess that 16 weeks is enough, and arguably the festive season is good timing to make me keep a lid on it and get a few more base miles in. 
  • Options
    Been off for a couple of days but note Gobi popping in (hello!).

I've been plodding a lot hoping that I can get away with volume without worsening my slight niggle, which does seem to be clearing up; this week will be 90ish miles of trudging around slowly.

I've entered the Cambs XC champs on ?6 Jan, but mainly to be sociable and try the new spikes I bought on a whim recently, I won't be quick.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    WTG - 15 weeks is ages. You have 13 weeks of decent training time. Either do a block of back to back double digits and mlrs over the break, or just slot into P and D, what scedule are you looking at? You can drop a mile or 2 off the mlrs and long runs for a werk or 2 if it helps you adapt? Are you worried that you havnt been doing enough to start P and D? You mention recent double digit runs? You can get a lot of P and D mlr, long runs and the 10m inc strides or LT in 13 weeks.
  • Options
    I don't really know what I'm wittering on about to be honest TR
    I guess that its a different approach for me from in the past, i.e. I probably won't ever be ahead of schedule 

I was wanting to base it on high mileage P+D, but tailored 
    So my ideal is
    10+ 20 milers,
    10+ 16+milers
    stack of double figures 
    built up to 12 miles TMP
    couple of stone off
    10 mile race close to 60

Probably requires lots of focus, which is no bad thing, and now Ive typed that, its all very doable isn't it (though I won't be able to do the 60min 10 miler in 5 weeks)

• Options
    That certainly looks very doable WTGY - apart maybe from the weight loss unless you're carrying a LOT of extra? You'll need to be careful to fuel enough to do those miles whilst losing the weight.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
     :o 
    Probably a good stone to be in the right shape for a non runner, then a bit more for a runner, then a bit more for being in marathon shape  :#
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    WTGY.. I lost around 4-5lbs from an already 'slim' state without trying earlier this year due to consistent mileage (50-70mpw for me).  I didn't relent at all from my pizza & chocolate consumption and enjoyed a few beers when I felt like it.  If you're aiming higher than that just wait for it to drop off gradually, I don't expect to see you at weight watchers :)
    Charlie.. good news on the niggle and decent miles being racked up.
    Jooligan/TR.. nudging ever closer to the 3000m, it should at least make room for a bit of Xmas over indulgence.
    I passed my 2,500 miles target earlier this week and now realise that another 71m between now and the 31st will take me up to 2,600!  Might give it a shot.  I won't be totally slacking on Xmas day as the local Park Run is on, so me & the Mrs will go and burn a few calories off ready for the onslaught. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Wardi - nice one on the 2500.

WTG - theres a lot of nice to haves in your list, you dont need all of those. You have plenty of time to get enough in. The sub60 is also an even nicer to have. Best thing you can do is get as much of the training on your list in as you can and then see where your fitness is. I will add its very humbling trying to get back to where you once where.

I had a count up and im on 222 for December (36 to go), Richie Benaud would be loving it.
  • Options
    Nice one Wardi. 2,600 is a better goal than 2.5K as it's 50mpw average, 2,620 has a good feel to it too if you get there ahead of schedule ;)
    I'll be running parkrun Xmas day too - it'll be my 7th consecutive year. Not sure whether I'll stay home as it's a total bogfest at the minute & starts at 10am. I can get to a hillier tarmac course for 9 & be home by 10.
    Weight loss can wait til January. I'm about half a stone heavier than I was after the Summer & ideally I'd like to take a stone off but CBA to faff about it so just have to hope the extra mileage sorts things out & maybe go easy on the cake at work.
    That's a very strong month TR.
    I'm 'only' on 182 after just an easy 5 today.
  • Options

Regarding weight loss - I have made my own diet up, the revolutionary 40% diet :)

Well basically I thought of my main 5 vices - Beer, chocolate, crisps ,sweets and cake and thought I'd drop three and keep two. Obviously a very easy choice, stopped eating sweets, Cake and crisps, substituting salted popcorn for crisps. Pretty easy and has worked for me. Meet the new Joe Wicks :)

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I dont eat sweets, or much chocolate or crisps. I drink plenty of beer though.

Felt a bit fevery over night so still got a bit of lurgy, popped a couple of paracetamol and set off for my 10m minimum, started to sweat up too quickly but the tablets obviously kicked in and i did a couple of 4m inner loops to give me 18 in total.
  • Options

TR - Sensible running diet there tbh! Beer is obviously the most important..

Been a few race mornings where I would have loved to pop a couple of Anadin Extra, but have had really bad stomach issues after. So I've had to suffer the consequences of my actions until after the race!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Beer is on of my essential food groups.  As i understand it you can run on paracetamol but not ibuprofen, not sure what annadin contains.

I'll be on the beer later!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭

Cheers TR

Hi Charlie

as always lots happen in here and mainly the usual suspects

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    10m more here, thats 83 for the week and 250 for the month..
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Jooligan - And there I was self-satisfied in passing 2,500 miles for the year, and now I see 2,620 which is a bit of an ask but makes lots of sense, so on we go then. 
    Well done on passing the 2,500 landmark Wardi takes some doing, commitment and a good slice of judgement and luck.
    SC2/ TR - Beer, liquid energy. Great mileage btw TR, hats a very solid base you have now for 2019.  it will all be worth it. Race a few swift half marathons now in Feb/ March and you are primed for Brighton.  
    Joe-  Another great run in the Minc pi.  Your sporting ventures have certaintly been incredibly catholic the past 3/4 months to round-off a cracking 2018 for you.
    Hello Gobi, last saw you 2006 Cardiff marathon!  Looks like your still in good nick. 
    Talking of which, 13 d&d yesterday, with the 2,500th mile symbolically arriving at the Cardiff City Stadium, prior the game to pick up a football shirt for the nipper. Couldn't resist the 30E entry for Malaga marathon in 2019, so thats 5 in the diary now - Las Palmas, Paris, London, Exmoor50 & Malaga - probably enough.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    OO - well done on the 2500, although like jooligan points out 2600 is worth chasing. I guess i should have chased 3120, but its too late now. I have Worthing 1/2 10th Feb (9 weeks out) and Fleet 1/2 17th march (5 weeks out).
    Completed a streak of 10 days of 10m minimum today with another 10m, that takes me to 3002 for the year. The 10 days were 18,10,10,13,10,12,10,18,10,10 so a nice bit of base being layed down. An easy 6 tomorrow, day off Christmas day and then its time to do somthing a bit more structured.

Like OO says it will hopefully pay dividends, im certainly a lot fitter and tougher than a year ago, and im probably in better shape than i was before Abo.

Will have some liquid energy later.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    TR - super solid stuff with that streak. I don't think I could manage that.

Nice to see Gobi drop by.

Superb efforts on the annual mileage front.

I'm on 1,891 for the year. That kinda crept up on me... With Crimbo day and travelling down to see my folks next weekend I don't think it's possible to break 2k. However, if I'm close I reckon I'll try and chase the miles... Inspired by you all as usual.

16 and a bit today rounded out 63 for the week. >60mpw has become my new "big" week since the summer when 55mpw seemed a lot to squeeze in.

Diets, some of you may remember from the summer I tried cutting out chocolate and beer. It didn't really work on the chocolate which is my achilles heel for sure. I did cut down on the beer considerably.

Having lost half a stone since then without really cutting back anymore I'm inclined to let the training take another half a stone off. Although I do like the approach of replacing something rather than getting rid completely.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Very impressive double digit streak TR, Xmas day off will be well earned.
    SJ.. decent 16m today, I assume that was a wet run (mine certainly was!).
    Gobi.. nice to see you making an appearance, I do spot some of your Fetch & FB activity.
    OO.. that's a nice list of marathons + 1x Ultra for next year.  Good work picking up the cheap entry too, I managed to get the early bird price for York next year.
    10.5m yesterday which was Park Run plus extra miles, busy today but managed 7.5m in persistent rain.  I have 8 days to do 50 miles to take me up to the 2600, should be doable.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - good going if you are typically topping 60mpw already. Do yoy have a new date for your op?

Wardi - well done for getting the rainy run done, sounds like 2600 is well within reach.
  • Options
    It was well wet here today too and whilst tomorrow is forecast to be dry I expect it will be wet underfoot.
  • Options
    Wardi - not too bad actually out there today. That misty drizzle stuff that Manchester is famous for rather than pelting it down.

TR - no new date as referral lasts until November so will look to re-book in new year for a date to fit around time off from work.

Today I've mostly refueled on biscuits...
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Top streaking TR & congratulations on reaching the 3K already. I'm a dozen short.
    Glad to hear I've inspired you OO. Hopefully you've taken a chunk off the new target already today.
    Great stuff WardiSJ.
    I had Friday off so 2 zeros this week but still managed 61. Did 7M including parkrun yesterday am then another 5M pm. Got out for another hilly trail 20M today too. Managed to luck out with a dry window, even saw a few glimpses of the sun :) 
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Gobi - good to catch up in Swansea back in the summer.
    TR - super annual mileage; will all be cashed in around Brighton I suspect.

No idea on my totals for this year, but have kept a diet of running once or twice most days and I never skimp on miles.  Should be much quicker really, but I like to have a bit of everything in the calendar.  Got out for a long run along the North Downs today; incredibly muddy but plodded on through for 4.5 hours until I got to somewhere with a station.

Looking forward to Xmas day parkrun.  Will be my 13th year in a row  :)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - soonish hopefully then, or after Manchester?

Jools - well done on the 20, you are kerping your long run delta reduced !

Dan - i bet the other passengers didnt fancy sitting too close!
  • Options
    sj - surely you mean a date that fits around training/racing?  :)

You have built a great base TR.

I will not chase a random mileage target this week though I do hope to have a last reasonable week before a two week taper for Brass, might not be doable around domestic/social commitments but I'm not going to stress if I end up with a few less miles than I have been doing. Marathon training proper can start once I've recovered from Brass.