Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    3 x 5k - blimey! Good times on each too Joe!

Day off today, but thinking of going out on the bike for a quick spin if I can get motivated!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yes a 5k is one severe "rep" :)

I suppose a lot of it is a mental thing though.

Like when Johnas first set me 3x10mins at threshold, I thought, 10mins! That's ages.

Then a few weeks later, 10mins felt easier, as there was first a 15min and then a 20min spell layered in before hand!!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Good session Joe, probably similar to you, re the ride, weather depending. I am looking for motivation to get out on the bike. Thursday would probably be my best chance, do you drive or would a large part of it be solo out and back for 15-20 mile share portion?

Progression long run for me, thought about finishing at Parkrun too but woke up at 8:40 and felt hungover. Plan asked for the last three miles at LT but I struggled to hit that, in fact from 9 miles I basically stayed about the same effort level. 13.1 in 1:27, 14 miles in total.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Reg.

I see Jill at our club doing a lot of progression runs for her long runs. I presume it's a set way of doing her runs, rather than what can easily happen - you warm up and simply pick the pace up later.

I've never really done these unless it's after a big buildup, right near a target race, and would then be aiming to hit MP or HMP late on.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    There are only three of them over the twelve weeks as they are hard runs and require a bit of recovery. I'll do a recovery run tomorrow and a rest day on Monday. Even the standard long runs are quite hard though and again progress but to around 84% of MHR for the last few miles. Author reckons they provide a powerful training stimulus, who am I to argue.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Have to be, combining the distance and the pace!

I chuckled yesterday on my cool down, trotting around Ealing, clocking the HR on 200. I know we've long established the wrist isn't something to pay too much to, but that was bonkers.

I think to hit 200, would be finishing flat out on one of those humid offroad hilly races in peak heat!

• Options
    Wrist HR is defo a load of shite
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

I have to stop looking at it, as I get irritated by it reckoning i'm in the "Threshold" zone when I'm trotting low 7s out :D

But then suggesting I can do some insane race times.

Which is it! It can't be both!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Great reading through all of the posts. Well done to SG, race and report.

Wrist HR is defo a load of shite  unreliable.

SG, the wrist HR messes up when it locks into your cadence. That's why it suddenly jumps from maybe 130/140bpm to 180/200bpm (check the Garmin connect data).

Ask Google about this flaw. That's how I discovered it.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie, I do it for the good times/memories too but medals and race numbers etc go to the tip. I know from our club attendees that Endure24 was a great experience. I'll give it some thought but may have to be a 50th birthday thing.

Oh and you know it makes sense:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BI9X1QM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tAnmCbQG1X1RE

You won't be short of female admirers  once you're sporting one of those on the top off track sessions come May/June.

Hefty session Joe.

Very fast prog. long Reg. I'm quite questioning about the need for such effort on the standard long runs when the schedule is already plenty tough with the threshold work each week. I don't know who I am to argue either. I would though, probably :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yep, a lot of my 7am Sunday long runs don't exactly leaving me gagging to get out there anyway, without having to layer extra pace in!

Think i'll pass on the "proper" HR kit. Have never used one, so probably am ok to not going forward. Would just get carried away, like with strava ;)

Can't believe you chuck the race memorabilia away! I love that stuff. I'd at worst at least take snaps so I still had the photo evidence :)

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I reckon if my watch starts telling me my cadence is my HR, then it's fair to call it a load of shite. I won't quibble though. I do find the chest strap to be a pain sometimes, when it starts slipping; I would like the wrist thing to prove a success.

Muddy, you may be right, proof will be in the pudding. So if I am sufficiently recovered for the first run of next week, then I am ok with it. If I am struggling I will make adjustments. So far it's seems to be just about managable.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    You can switch of the cadence. You can also make it more reliable by making sure the strap is tight. One thing that works well when it is cold, is wearing a long sleeve top which has thumb loops - these fit nicely over the watch leaving the face free, but sealing the sides to stop any erroneous light affecting the OHRS. 

LSR shortly - was going to be on road, but it's far too nice a day, with firm underfoot conditions to waste it on tarmac :-)

Cracking progression by the way Reg.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    LSR done and dusted. Longest run for a while, as I needed 15 to get to a rolling four week average of 50mpw :smile:

Reasonable pace too. It's the kind of route where a couple of years back I'd have been aiming for 8:30 pace, but these days they are coming out nearer 9:30. Went for 9 and the firm ground helped it to come out at 8:41.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good run Bus.

I did the same (15miles) yesterday with AW who reckoned she'd never run further in her life.

For that audacity, this morning I was pressed into a hill session. And paid for it.

We started together...

My average pace was mid 7's. She did just sub 6! (12 off scant warm up)
    I dropped a couple of reps to get pictures - I was stuffed anyway.

The number one fan gets a grandstand seat  :)

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Nice one bus and ric
    Who is aw Ric? Presume an ex big name runner?
    All black outfit perhaps not the clearest to be seen. Especially not up a hill at pace 😄

15 for me. 7.10 average in the.end which surprised me as the route was a hilly loop all the way round into bus territory.
  • Options
    Good long runs in the bank there Reg, Bus, Ric and SG.
    I'll be very interested to see how your training block goes Reg, as I have a Pfitz and Latter book upstairs with a variety of plans, but not followed any yet. 

I had a small week last week around Christmas etc., but my calf had flared up again - it was no better after my first run this week despite a few days rest. Went to the Fizz, and reckoned it's due to a glute imbalance as there's no tightness etc. in the vicinity or up/down the line. Been told a couple of exercises, one of which is standing on a step (foot parallel to the edge) and essentially squatting until the other foot hits the floor/step below. After a few reps on my left side, I could definitely feel it compared to my right!

Seems to have made a difference as no aches at all with the local hilly runs! Finished the week on 33.6mi.
    Long run for me too today - although barely qualifies, as only just into double digits with 10.3mi (didn't want to go mad after a low week last week and 4 days on the bounce).
    I last ran this out-and-back route on the 18th Nov, which is basically uphill out and downhill back. Best part is that I ran 8:08/mi for 76.2% MaxHR in November, whereas today I ran 7:38/mi for 76.7% MaxHR - all-but the same effort, but 30s/mi faster! It's starting to come back :)

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I did a progressive long run yday too, with each 5 mile section slightly quicker. It came in as 10 av 7.40, 10 av 7.10, rather than my usual 8.XX pace. Found it tough going late on so i won't do it too often in my Brighton build up.
  • Options
    Nice long runs all. Sounds promising Matt, have you considered a second decimal place?

Recovery run for me today, combined it with the clubs annual social XC run, plan had 4 miles recovery, I did 6.2 miles. Oh and 45 miles cycling to get there and back. Not exactly a recovery but I have a full rest day tomorrow.

49.5 miles for the week, highest of the year so far.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    You did that just to upset me Reg didn't you? 49.5 indeed :smile:

Good 15s too Ric and SG! You coulda popped in for a cuppa SG :wink:

TR - not surprising that was tough!

Matt H - sounds positive.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Stevie G said:
    Nice one bus and ric
    Who is aw Ric? Presume an ex big name runner?
    All black outfit perhaps not the clearest to be seen. Especially not up a hill at pace 😄

15 for me. 7.10 average in the.end which surprised me as the route was a hilly loop all the way round into bus territory.
    Good run there SG.
    Yes, I wasn't expecting 'all black', then again, I felt I was lucky that she agreed to the photo shoot.

And who is AW?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Whitcombe

Winning the 1990 National XC, in the days when it seemed I was the only one using a camera.

🙂

• Options
    I had you in my mind when I wrote it, Bus but it wasn't planned. :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Looks decent enough Ric. Surprisingly big field in that Olympic 5k heat, if she's coming 41st! Crowded!

Although these days I'd like to think she's on some random site somewhere marvelling that she's shared a run with "Ric F from RW". We have some big running scene names on this thread don't you know :)

Bus, mileage is a funny old game. Reg is 49.5 and huge for him. 50 is your benchmark of a firm week, and my 56.5m is very much a cutback after 3 big to monster weeks!

Still not back to work tomorrow - one more glorious lay in to enjoy before Tuesday is the comeback day!

Club are doing the same exact same location and session (well, could be 3 in one direction 3 in other, rather than 1-1 x3, but still) on Tuesday.

Feel like I should get a "Proper" tempo in instead though.

Club had an outing at Cliveden today. Usual set of pots all around. Good to see. While it looked fairly solid footing, it's still offroad and the steps (on 2 laps) I'm certain would have been a world of pain - and right now I've certainly had enough of xc / mt stuff!
    Will have to decide if i'm making a crack at doing the club champ this year - as it'll mean doing a few races I wouldn't otherwise fancy, hot mid summer 10ks and suchlike. We'll see. You need 8 events, Wokingham and Marlow will take me up to 3 anyway (Handy Cross the first - albeit it a dreadful 9th home), and there's a couple of 5ks in there...so we'll see.

• Options
    Does that mean you're done for TVXC, SG? I think I am going to do Bracknell as it's a club champs race, not sure on Tadley.
    49.5 is a big week for me. I started on the 31-47 miles plan and having added extra each week, I am now closer to the next plan up. Think I will peak about 58-60 all being well.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    AW looks a quality runner Ric - and still quick by the look of your session today!

Ben Livesey one Cliveden today SG, and it looked like a pretty stacked field up front.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Deffo won't do Bracknell Reggie, that's too deep into the year.

Will see how I'm feeling pre Tadley. That's a long trek, hour or so from me. Last year that was the one I actually started to feel borderline delirious at, it was so freezing cold, and I'd managed to get into a position where I ran solo for about 3miles, despite being fairly high up the field.

Odd course with nonsense like fallen tree trunks you have to completely stop and get under, and the most jumping I've ever done at any race. Normally into thick mud! It's truly amazing how far 5.3miles can feel!

Bus - yep (although won/one?:) )  and most of the stacking was our boys - no doubt 5 of our lot were in the top 10!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Edited - shocking error to make and I blame having just woken from a snooze :blush:

• Options
    Happy new year to all! 

A pretty crazy 2018 for me really with work catapulting me here, there and everywhere round the country to some fantastic events and opportunities, very little time at home and sadly sacrificing a lot of family time which I have found it very difficult to balance and at times cope with. I probably shouldn't disclose the hours and time off I haven't had just incase :)

My previous role having every other weekend off definitely sheds value on "you are here for a good time, not a long time" motto - Stress and demand has been tough to manage but keeping strong with Inesa and having the supportive ex has helped a lot with Lucas and Mia both of whom are healthy (despite a trip to A+E with him late last night) all is well

I have been lurking and reading daily, rarely posting, perhaps selfishly as I have nothing to add, of course jealous but definitely inspired, truly world class by some and heroic by others. 

Running this year has really only fell in with work, some test events or the odd run with some colleagues - Of course lucky to have acquired and tested a ton of kit in the process. The main highlight of Endure 24 saw me run 20+ miles in a day 

My 2018 stats were coming in at 374 miles, and between May - Dec 2017 less than 100 to add. In that time putting on nearly 20KG at one point, so a very poor attempt for nearly 2 years now. 5 years soon when I last ran my PBs.

I can't say I'm even able to run, I still have foot problems and yes, I still have arse problems, mainly just after going to the toilet it's just painful and makes me uncomfortable . Of course very unfit not only missing the running but no gym or cardio to help. Very lazy

I'm not quite sure of my 2019 goals. Get fit? Get racing? 

I ran one 5KM this year in August off the bat with work and ran 18:45 which probably isn't bad considering. 

I would love to start posting more, maybe it'll motivate me! 

You have all been awesome
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You can still get back Scotty - you're still a fairly young fella In the scheme of things. And at least you have an easy 2018 to better next year :)

I was wondering the other day actually, how many south coast races can I do, without getting to meet you. It's been about 6 so far the last 18months!!

Some near misses though.

Will your work be at GSR, Endure 24, any of the Gosport 5ks next year?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hi Scott - good to hear from you.

An 18:46 5k off next-to-no mileage and carrying some timber underlines what a naturally talented runner you are, so I hope at some point in the coming years you can find a way to give it the focus it deserves. You've got youth on your side anyway :smile: