Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

SG - Plenty of people 'enjoy' a long Sunday run and still race ;) Quite interestingly I've never really seen it as a key part of the training, just some miles to provide the base. So important to do, but not as important to do them at a certain pace. Coach only picked the pace up apparently when they were going to end up with less than 3 hours in the pub!

Bus - the real issue is when at the start of the classic loop, if the tide is in from the ferry along shell bay and Studland beach..makes quite a tiring start, before you have Ballard down and Nine Barrow down to get up once you have gone round past Old Harry.

I will be walking over there Sunday on a flying visit for not very nice reasons, linked to my Facebook post yesterday regarding my mate passing away. We were both in a Venture Scout group in Bournemouth - so their annual Agglestone Rock walk is on Sunday, so we're doing it as a memorial one for him, with all the old guard turning out.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    So much of this game is mental isn't it.
    Hitting paces in training gives you confidence for a race, and going long regularly, say 15 gives you a sense that 13.1 isn't "That" far for a race.

Similarly, if you go into a race knowing it won't be a pb, or isn't going to be fast, it's a self fulfilling prophecy!

As I did the session yesterday, I had a choice of Fri/Sat for a rest day.
    Usually easier to take the saturday I find if possible, as I'm up early for work whether it has a run before or not, whereas Saturday can become a nice leisurely one

A 6 this morn, meaning 4 later and 15 Sunday gives a nice rounded 70.
  • Options
    I had a rest day yesterday but did a two bike ride so not much of a rest.

Today was 9 miles with 6 x 1km reps off 2min recovery jog, did them on the road due to time constraints. Target pace was 3-5k race pace so I nominally targeted 3:20.
    Worked pretty hard to get 3:20 bang-on for the first but I knew it felt too hard. Managed 3:17 for the second one but it went pear shaped after that; 3:27, 3:28, 3:32 & 3:24. Achilles and calf were/are a bit sore. Work to do.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Not looking for me (obvs!), but clubmates and some of you lot would no doubt be well in the mixer, for the masters road race qualification for England.

Minimum standards for V35

10k   33.45
    Half   1.17.30
    Mara   2.50

Looks a fair step up in quality as you go down the distance then!

(disclaimer, i'm sure it's on stats etc as these things always are, just looks clearly easier as you go longer)
    (disclaimer 2 - not saying i'd find a 2.50 marathon easier than a 1.17 half, but i expect most keen types would?)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a few things going on there Reggie, the niggles and being outside of a track for starters.
    Then very possibly you having not done much very sharp paced stuff for a while - that first session back to it certainly feels sharp.

Otherwise, off your 5k race in the summer you definitely have 3.20s 1km reps in your locker, especially off 2mins.

Maybe try it again on a track next week or 2.

Now..trying 6x1km at 3k pace would be an absolute menace of a session. I think even 800s at 3k pace would probably take 3min recoveries.
  • Options
    I'm not too concerned, I was able to bounce back a bit with 3:24 with the last one.
    Next session of this type is in three weeks, 2 sets of 2 x 1200s and 2 x 800s. Before that I have a 38 minute tempo and an 8-10k race scheduled. :#

• Options

The masters V45 standards are pretty lame tbh - without sounding elitist, I just thought they would be harder, its 35.45 for 10k - Just seen Simon Baines (v45) who pipped me at the Southern masters did 32.00 at Hyde Park New Years day!

Good mileage SG and decent session Reg - perhaps get on the stairs for some Heel drops to help the Achilles..

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose the key point is that the standard is a minimum standard, and chances are, it'll take a long way under.
    And that's the way it should be really.

I wouldn't turn a 35.45 10k down now though, let alone at 45! I'll take still being running, as who knows what 7.5 years will bring!
  • Options
    Javelin is 35 metres Simon so if you use all of your three throws and add them up you might just qualify :D
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    those 10k standards are a bit of a joke and makes a bit of mockery of the earning of the vest imo.  those 10k v35 times i could do on any given day im nearly 46. should be higher and if that means some dont get in then good!  it should be elitist.  its for a national vest not a school team   /rant over :)

that all said i already have my selection when i ran telford in dec but at least it was a 32.29 and 7th on the uk rankings in 2018 so worthy of being in the selection mix imo.  the v45 selection standard for an england vest was run by 85 v45's in 2018.  Does that yell international selection standard ? / winge over :)

good session Reg, i have that session @ 5k pace next week.  its tough.  1st couple reps feel ok, but then it bites later on. hope that Achilles heals sharpish

just did a session that had me wincing with heavy legs.   600  (1.42)  , 2*400  (59, 61) , 600 (1.37) , 2*300 (45,45) , 4*200 (29,30,30,29).   all on target except for that middle 600 which should have been 1.32.   went through 400 in 61-62  then suddenly my legs went heavy and although i gave everything i hadn't recovered from the 400's before and felt like i was running in treacle.  ouch!  but got back on track with the later reps.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    It is the "Minimum" standard. No-one's getting in on those times.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps nice session
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    pps, saw a guy jogging the other day round the Slough estate in what looked very similar to the Vaporflys...

I presume there's some very similar cheaper model, as surely noone is lashing 200+ clams to jog at 8-9min miling
    (young ish guy...looked capable of plenty more)
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    There's got to be a starting point I guess. Certainly the 10k time seems like the hardest from where I'm sitting (even if you can do it on one leg Dean :wink: ). Take your point though - an England vest SHOULD be only obtainable by the best in the country, by definition, but as SG stresses, these are minimums and the final qualifying times will be much sharper.

The marathon one does seem relatively easy though. On a cooler day than my PB at VLM, without a pit stop at 10M and a better alignment of the planets, even I could have got close to that and I was a V45!

F-off today. Possible parkrun tomorrow - if I can get up :smile:
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, if I hit a 1.17.30, and sneak into the GB team, I'm not having it that I'm not an absolute legend  o:)

Although I wouldn't even be doing Fleet half, so that might make it trickier ;)

I suppose that's the other "rub" isn't it.
    It's got to be in the small selection of races, so it doesn't really matter that 73,000 people have run the minimum qualifying standard - they need to do it in that exact race.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    PS - not surprising that session hurt Dean!

Reg - agree, no need to be concerned at those 1k reps - work to do as you say, but still pretty good and on track for where you are trying to get to for Wokingham. Just be cautious of those niggles at this point given you are ramping up the milles....

Ric - agree with your summation of on and off-road. I try to get some tarmac in before road races to get accustomed to a constant pace and impact. I also ten to switch to road when the trails turn to never end swamp just for some relief!
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Stevie G said:
    pps, saw a guy jogging the other day round the Slough estate in what looked very similar to the Vaporflys...

I presume there's some very similar cheaper model, as surely noone is lashing 200+ clams to jog at 8-9min miling
    (young ish guy...looked capable of plenty more)

Possibly breaking them in/trying them out ? Or wearing the Zoom Fly which look the same but in different colours.

Regards, standards discussion. I think they have to set the standards practically, on the basis of getting the vests all allocated. So, of those that qualify, half may not even know anything about it (with masters stuff I'd wager this is more than half - it's something I pay zero attention to because, ironically, I don't imagine I qualify) and a good fraction of the remainder could be excluded geographically (travel time impractical), financially (costs too much to attend) or have scheduling issues (e.g. Dachs dilemma from last year). So in practice qualifying is set at top 4 or 5 in county standard.

Or maybe they just take top x% nationally and hope for the best ?

Good luck with the Achilles Reg. But seems reasonable to me to be working a bit harder for the pace today with the wind picking up.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Yep get all that about minimum standards etc but it's too low for the prestige of an international vest imo.  I agree with muddy that its about allocation of vests...making sure they are filled.   Mind you whilst I'm moaning it is a very good thing England athletics are doing so maybe I should wind my neck in! :)

regards the vaporflys a club mate of mine wears his for club runs etc.  Good for recovery he says....plus he is single with no kids so I expect money isn't a concern as he has few vices
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That last bit sounds like me dean!
    Apart from the money not a concern bit 😄😄

These vaporflys are being utterly rationed!

Ps muddy id have to check but youd be close to the v45 10k im sure. Let alone the half and marathon!
  • Options
    Yeah but if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have a clue about the standards Stevie. This is a mixture of publicity and these things not filtering down to small clubs like mine, and me not bothering with masters stuff in general. If I joined Midlands Masters as 2nd claim I'm sure more information would filter through.

Dean - Yeah come to think of it I wear my old pair for post workout outings when I'm sore around the lower legs. They are really protective. The cost per mile doesn't get to me as I got them via a health insurance discount scheme.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Maybe the chap had done his racing miles in this pair already, and now he just easy runs in them,

And take your point Muddy. Hopefully we can get a masters team for the May vets road relays.

Our 12 stage southern team planning has just started. (Prompted by me, as you can imagine - busy, overly keen ass that I am ;) )

I'd hoped it'd be an epic hunger games fight to the death for the 12 coveted spots, but two big boys are out already, so I dare say it'll be more a "who's available" job, which is a shame.

But as long as we get a team there!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 said:
    those 10k standards are a bit of a joke and makes a bit of mockery of the earning of the vest imo.  those 10k v35 times i could do on any given day im nearly 46. should be higher and if that means some dont get in then good!  it should be elitist.  its for a national vest not a school team   /rant over :)

that all said i already have my selection when i ran telford in dec but at least it was a 32.29 and 7th on the uk rankings in 2018 so worthy of being in the selection mix imo.  the v45 selection standard for an england vest was run by 85 v45's in 2018.  Does that yell international selection standard ? / winge over :)

good session Reg, i have that session @ 5k pace next week.  its tough.  1st couple reps feel ok, but then it bites later on. hope that Achilles heals sharpish

just did a session that had me wincing with heavy legs.   600  (1.42)  , 2*400  (59, 61) , 600 (1.37) , 2*300 (45,45) , 4*200 (29,30,30,29).   all on target except for that middle 600 which should have been 1.32.   went through 400 in 61-62  then suddenly my legs went heavy and although i gave everything i hadn't recovered from the 400's before and felt like i was running in treacle.  ouch!  but got back on track with the later reps.

In my age group it's 39:00. Even now I could might manage that, but for this event it won't be nearly enough.

I can see where the elitism angle comes from though. But then again, this is veterans running not the world of Gattaca. The 'hows' and 'whys' of selection may well include factors beyond ability.

In one vets publication I read, the question of qualifying for the 'Worlds' came up and it said there was no minimum standard, it was more a case of having the time and money.

From there, an elitism aspect of participation comes into play, excluding anyone who hasn't enough money for the deal.

The amateur spirit of yesteryear is alive and geriatric.  

🙂

• Options
    Nice sessions Reg and Dean. Shuddering at the thought of heading back to the track soon.

Standards - it becomes even more of a joke in triathlon. In some age groups you just have to turn up to get a GB vest (Reg  ;) ). Kona on the other hand though, is an altogether different story..

Much to people’s annoyance, I’m just off to run parkrun easy as a warm up to XC later. We kick off earlier than usual (1pm) as the mighty Chasers have been relegated to Div 2 but we’re currenty storming the league so should be back up next year. Will give XC a good bash. 
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I did my best to make qualification harder for the rest Joe, winning my age-group by 15 minutes 😉
    Just in front of Dan Anderton, didn’t he finish ahead of you at Kona in your age-group 🤔

#bantz as you kidz say 😄
  • Options
    Haha, very well played Reg. You know I'm only yanking your leg and have spoken before about how much running potential I think you've got.

Yep - Dan's bloody fast, wouldn't get anywhere near him at the moment. Top bloke as well. 

Trotted around parkrun around 8mm smelling the flowers. Nearly stopped to take a picture but I thought that'd be too much for some on here :D 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Way too much.

As i read this still lazily in bed.
    Have done 55miles this week mind. So it's alright.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Casual parkrun as warm-up to xc there Joe :smile:

Unfortunately I woke up in time to go to parkrun this morning :smile:

I say "unfortunately" as I felt hungover, with a raging headache. I hadn't actually drunk much, but think the combination with the lurgy amplified it! Anyway, it was only supposed to be a tempo effort in 'race' conditions (yes SG, really :smile:). Felt OK after the warm-up, headache gone, coughing ended and legs actually felt quite good. Wycombe Rye has possibly the widest start line on the planet, so taking it easy leaves you having to overtake lots of hopefuls fairly early on - hey ho. First mile felt very comfortable, which it should have done as it came out as 6:09. The second, always slower there with steps and a slight incline, was a disappointing 6:29, but a bit of a rally in the third, whilst still trying to keep a lid on the effort came out as 6:04, for a 19:26 finish. I was in 2nd until the final 0.5k, and had to resist the temptation to try and stay with 2 guys who overtook me, as that would no doubt have seen me retching! As it was, I finished 4th, 1st V50 and feel OK now, so will count that as a success! Still aiming to get back to sub 6 miling though and really want to finish Wokingham with a faster average pace than 6:14..... 

• Options
    It’s all good fun Joe 😄 Kona is definitely the toughest to qualify. I’m more likely to go to the 70.3 first and try for Kona as I hit the 45 age-group. IM is all a bit far for me.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Bus - 1st m50, you said you were hoping for some m50 bling. You just need to target yr races. I was 1st m50 at NF 1/2 and 2nd at worthing 1/2 last yr, but in other races such as HRRL events im much lower down.

Im pencilled in for chichester 10k, fleet 1/2 and brighton mara all of which are masters qualifying events (coincidence not planned) and whilst im capable of the qualifying times i bet I'm well down the m50 field, which kind of takes care of the qualifying times being too easy.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Not sure Wycombe parkrun would qualify as bling TR, but I'll take it anyway :smile:

Fair point about the qualifying times, and kinda sobering if you are going to be well down the v50 field! I'll need to plan my pot-hunting very carefully :wink: