Options

Friday 31st January 2020 - It was the night Rod Stewart played

Morning.

Lyrics - It was the night Rod Stewart played

I hope so too chamolk - it feels ok so far this morning but then it hasn't had much of a test yet!

Forecast wet and windy this morning so I'm glad it's just a short run for me though I think even getting out for that may be a challenge.

What:           short and easy
Why:            ran long yesterday
Last hard:    marathon training in winter
Last rest:     26/1

Yesterday's lyrics - Into The Great Wise Open - Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Options
    Morning

Sympathies regarding the trains Dustin. 

Well done WP on the flying legs - made me smile that. 

Enjoy the reflexology Wabo - will check on what that is in a minute..

Cake must have been the most important bit in the list of cures for your knee LMH.  I assume applied externally?  Depending on the variety a bit messy maybe.

What: walk post work
    Why: being sensible
    Last hard: yesterday's attempt at some miles - after little food in 72 hours I did one k ok then my legs started to wobble most wierdly over the next 3 at ever slower pace and I had to stop and walk home. Finally eating well again so things should improve now.
    Last rest: 28.01

Lyrics: no
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Hope you get your run in before the rain comes, LMH

Trust you are fully better, Hazel, ChamolkDustin (and anyone else!)!

What: short run

Why: as Chamolk observed yesterday, it is better than nothing. Glad I didn't enter the Last Friday of the Month race because I missed the cheap(er) rail tickets. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    LMH - well done with the run, is the MiL recovering well? 
    WP - great when a run goes like that!
    chamolk - to be fair, the trains have only got massively unreliable the past 2-3 months. 
    To put some context into it, I was delayed getting into work twice in the first 9 months of last year, it's been over 10 times this January alone. 
    It's the evenings that are stressful: I leave early if I'm coaching but then you get stuck and have to scramble round either getting cover or cancelling a session....

What - Steady lunchtime, comdey night in a brewery this evening (what could possibly go wrong.....??)
    Why - mileage base: chest still a bit heavy but better, even so this is day 8, can't recall being that spluttery for that long before....
    Last Rest - Sunday
    Last hard - Tuesday

• Options
    Dustin - you might actually have a chest infection and need some antibiotics? MiL is taking a long time to recover partly because instead of taking my advice and going to the doctors a couple of weeks in to the illness she decided that the ladies working behind the counter in the chemist had more medical knowledge and bought their recommended cough mixture and told me she didn't need to see the GP as the shop assistants had said that there was 'a lot of it about' <<sigh>>.

Hazel - attempting any kind of speed work when you hadn't eaten properly for a few days was always a bit ambitious. I hope you don't feel bad about the session and are 100% soon.

It's looking unlikely Alehouse though I think the wind is going to be the worst of the weather.

Just back from my walk and my knee is definitely not as happy as it was. I think the sensible thing would probably be to not try a run today but having had a day off on Sunday I'm loathe to take another so I intend to apply some magic cream, head out and see how it feels.
  • Options
    Greetings from Berlin 🙋‍♀️

Sorry to hear your knee is playing up, LMH. Glad your MiL is recovering. Not a nice thing to have,  especially as an elderly person.

Take it easy,  Hazel. When I came down with it in April it took me a week to get back to normal.

Wabo: It was emzap who got new Hokas ;)

Train delays are so annoying,  Dustin. Would second what LMH said about a potential chest infection...

We had a lovely day yesterday with a superb lunch at the Reichstag (the Norman Foster glass dome) and a spectacular evening show.

There's a trailer on here if you're interested:

Amazing acts and costumes were out of this world. Philipp Treacy designed the hats. Just wow :)
  • Options
    Cheese!!  That looks fun.  Can also recommend a visit to the Reichstag to anyone who has a chance to visit Berlin.

Wasn't a speed session at all LMH - thought maximal GA pace (about 8:28 / mile for me) would do the job nicely.  I haven't been sick like that for years and never when running regularly so a bit of a learning experience about what I can do and what I can't I guess.  I am due an LT run but have dropped that for this week altogether. 

Hope the train is on time this evening Dustin - sounds like an important appointment!  Might be a good idea to get yourself checked out regarding the chest infection.
  • Options
    I'm glad you're having a good time chicksta.

Sorry Hazel - it sounded like a session to me as someone who does no speed work. I think you are very sensible to drop the LT run. I'd say you probably need a good 2-3 days of eating normally really.

Unfortunately my run did not go well this morning and it was a long and chilly, though fortunately, dry walk home. I'm hoping that by stopping when I did today it will settle down and allow a run tomorrow.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all
    LMH really sorry to hear about your run, hopefully tomorrow be better
    chick lovely photo looks like  a lovely time you are having!  Oh silly me re the Hokas, I have just ordered my third pair! 
    dustin I hope your chest clears up proper. Take care
    Hazel Hope you pick up in the n ext couple of days
    Alehouse enjoy your short run

WHat: about 3 miles later
    why: early start at work so I couldn't fit it in
    last hard: yesterday
    last rest: 31/12/16
    Reflexology last night was amazing. She picked up on so much.  Mainly it was really relaxing! 
    Race tomorrow, 5 flat and not off road, I will I will I will do this!!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Afternoon!

Not the news we wanted to hear, LMH; nor you! When do you next see the physio?

What: short run. And a very wet one.

Why: whilst I had another uncomfortable night back-wise there is a little improvement when running. I think. Doing a lot of keeping it warm during the day with heat patches; less successful with the new electric heat pad overnight as it keeps slipping off. Not supposed to lie on it, nor sleep in the heat patches. 

Go well tomorrow, Wabo! Viccy Park? And is sending Danny Rose out on loan good business?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Go do your race Wabo!

I have a physio appointment on Thursday Alehouse. I'm beginning to think that my running days may be numbered, or at least my miles and as I don't enjoy the shorter stuff I'll need to find something else to do if that is the case. In the past when one of my knees has gone bang once it's better it's been ok for a good while. I'm pleased your back is improving though I know how frustrating it is when things don't get better as quickly as we'd like. Could you borrow an electric blanket to try?
  • Options
    Fingers crossed, LMH.

Managed a short run as we got back. Calf still tight. Bugger :(
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the run LMH - do you think a few weeks of very little running, but some alternative/cross training might help?

Glad the back is a little easier ale

Good luck for the race tomorrow Wabo

Looks great Chick, I liked Berlin

Glad you got out for a run Hazel

Dustin - if you're getting better it'll probably be OK, but if you've still got significant symptoms, it might be a good idea to see someone to get the chest checked out, just in case. Most likely to be viral, but some are something a bit more.

I got out for a 3 mile run, and managed a 3:21 km in the middle, just to get a challenge on the paris marathon app, though I admit it was a bit downhill. Unfortunately, my key decided that by zipped pocket wasn't a great place to hang around and felt a trip to the ground was in order, leading to a second 3 mile jog to find said key. Luckily I got it, and was able to get in to the house, as my wife wont be back for a few hours yet

Lyrics no