Options

Nutrition and Training.

Iv been running for around a year now and completed my first marathon last year.

I aim to enter a few this year and think I’m hitting a wall with nutrition. I’d previously trained and fuelled for weight loss until it turned into a hobby I enjoyed. Now I think it’s having a detrimental effect on training and don’t think I eat enough.

I run about 40 miles a week and have been sticking to eating 2000 calories a day plus what I expend in running or strength sessions. I do fitness daily for at least an hour and I think I’m fatigued and not hitting my pace etc as a result. Loads of advice out there but how much should I be eating. Let’s put it this way I always want to eat more lol. Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

is your weight going down? if not then I suggest you are eating enough, however perhaps the balance of your calories and nutritional value isn't very good.

• Options
    Anita Bean's books are a good place to start if you want to look at your nutritional needs and how you are meeting them - or not.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Thanks it seems to slowly move around the same range maybe downward in heavy sessions. The drama is if I put more weight on muscle I mean then maybe my performance endurance might be better 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

More muscle requires more blood flow and oxygen and won't make you run faster as having 25 inch quads instead of 20 will make no good difference.

Have a look at elite distance runners and even half decent local runners, you won't see many powerhouses.

• Options
    Good point think I’m just looking for a excuse to eat more :-)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dave - maybe look at what you're eating so that you're getting adequate nutrition for your needs.  

Also check your fluid intake, if you aren't drinking enough that may fool your body into thinking you feel hungry .  If as you say 'downward in heavy sessions' that could easily be dehydration.