Options

The Thousand mile club - 2020

Comments

• Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Good morning all,hope you're all safe and well.

Reading all through all your posts and you're all putting in some great runs.I'm managing around 20 miles a week at the moment,so room for improvement.

Has anyone watched the Dragons Back Race doc on Amazon?I want to try and watch it this week.

Harmander,good luck with that challenge!

13.04 - 5.2

15.04 - 5.27

17.04 - 8.29

18.04 - 3.91

335.93 YTD

• Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Dave: love the treadmill records but how do they ensure a standardised treadmill? At the gym I use there's a definate difference in speed and bounce across the rows of machines. 

Harmander: an amazing effort, go for it. My only observation would be to encourage the funds raised to be used for local good causes rather than pooled in larger national ones. 

I asked for advice about speeding up! I'm doing more miles than ever but all that's seemingly happening is I'm getting better at running 5k in 26 mins! I guess it's a form of heart rate training.

When I think back to significant leaps forward with my running / fitness, the two which spring to mind both come from fartlek / intervals. As a tubby teenager we had a rugby coach where the main fitness session was, start at the posts, walk to the 25, jog to the halfway line, sprint to the next 25, ease down to the posts at the far end. Regroup and repeat, regroup and repeat. I hated it. We were the fittest school team for miles around. Might repeat this sometime this week.

The other was when working in York so 1989 or 90 talking with an old boy at work, as old as I am now, and him eulogising about his flatlek sessions. I remember then trying to mimicked them as I run along the country lanes where I then lived. 

Two weekend runs, 5.1 and 5.0 just to ensure the lock down pounds don't creep on making a YTD of 422.9.
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Donnie,intervals will certainly help.Maybe do 6 x 1k at your target pace,with a 90 second recovery between each interval.
  • Options
    Harmander , that sounds like an epic challenge, handy feed stations and loos on that kind of thing.
    Couple of nice (local) runs for me...mostly via chemist and shop getting stuff for in-laws...any excuse to get out.

402 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
    Awaiting endorsement from the London Ambulance Service so I can have the GoFundMe page set up for me (I would not know where to start).
    Have been practicing the right pace and found 12 minutes a Km is too easy but I ramp it up with regular '500 Miles' from The Pretenders to feel better. At this rate I should be able to do it all in under 168 hours (a week of continuous walking).
    To make it interesting< feel instead of 26km a day if I increased it to 17 miles a day (27.3  km) I could actually complete the equivalent of 20 marathons in the month - the total I had planned for the year. 
    Yes Cal, I will be doing it in two or three sessions spread through the day.

Oh, the treadmill miles will not be used to count towards this total.

Yesterday it was 8.08 miles and today it was 8.07 miles making my 
    YTD = 845.62 miles
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Slightly half hearted attempt at intervals. Although over 5.7 miles, which is typically the length I've done for my evening runs, I averaged 5.04 per k rather than 5.15 which is moving in the right direction. 

Ytd: 428.6
  • Options
    Potential success tomorrow - The Daily Mirror want to talk to me about running a full marathon on Sunday to replace the VLM as well as about my other batty ideas.
    8.08 miles today making my
    YTD = 853.70 miles.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice, Harmander.
    Good work, Donnie.
    Monday was a rest day for me but as my shin is tender I've taken yesterday and today off as well. I'd rather lose a few days now than have to take a lot of days off later.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal I do hope you are okay? Is it shin splints?

Harmander enjoy the news exposure!

Donnie2 well done, a 10 second reduction in a km is good progress. 

Anyone know anything about DR? Not seen a post on here for a while, has he been posting on other threads?

I had a crash course in sewing machine maintenance yesterday, half way through a king sized quilt! Normally I would have rung our local sewing machine shop and taken it in, amazing what we now do!

Rest week this week so a short, but beautiful run this morning. Again bunnies everywhere. They have now invaded the local rugby club's pitches!

YTD: 395.18
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TT - I think it's actually a calf problem that is causing some soreness in the shin. I tore the right calf in the same place but this isn't a tear - you definitely know when you've torn your calf because you feel a pop. So I reckon it's a minor strain from the hill work I've been doing (mostly the downhills). It's on the inside just behind the shin but the soreness is definitely in the muscle there. Hopefully it'll resolve quickly.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    David C... well done on your 'respectable' half.
    Hobie... Congrats on passing 400'.
    Donnie2... Soon be sub-5min kms...?
    TT... poised to pass 400'.
    Harmander... Hope all goes well with the Daily Mirror; would certainly do your fund-raising no harm.
    Cal... Sorry to hear about the injury. Get well soon. Glad that you had good options from Tokyo.

Couldn't have asked for better weather for my 76' challenge this week. All going well so far.
    Mon 20th. 12' 
    Tues 21st. 16'
    Wed 22nd. 12'
    So, 40' done, 36' to go. Not sure how I'll split the remaining distance; had thought of doing three more of 12' and allow for a rest day. But feeling good, so might go for another 16' and a couple of shorter runs. 
    Have a sort of routine; leaving the house at 05:30, and settling down to a comfortable 10min/mile pace.
    YTD: 674' .
  • Options
    Cal, Yes hope your leg soon feels better, definitely better to give it few days rest than be out for weeks.

MrM2, Excellent running sir, good luck with the other 36! (Happy Birthday, by the way)

I haven't been out for a couple of days so back out tomorrow before work as the building industry is back up and running, 2 site visits so far this week and I have to say people are trying to keep to the 2m distance, and sites are trying to accommodate the needs of everyone. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Nice work, MrM2 - which day is your birthday?

Felt a lot better today so I was able to take my new Peg Turbos out for a spin. They feel fast - I was expecting a fairly sluggish run after three days off but no, I averaged 9:57 for the six miles. Wasn't pushing, either.
    No problems with the calf/shin - some slight tenderness along the shin but that's the same on the right leg, too, and probably comes from the fast walks I've been doing.

YTD: 654
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks David, glad that work has gone OK so far!
    Thanks Cal...and good to see you out again! Always good to do a test drive in the new shoes!
    Have to wait until next Fri (May 1st) for my birthday, but decided to start the celebrations this week with the 76' challenge. Gave the quads a good stretch and massage last night as they were the only bits talking to me about the extra hours.
    Feeling a bit heavy this morning and thought I'd settle for 12' but a few miles into the run everything was happy and I ran 16'. Expected to settle into 10min/mile pace but was nearer 9:30 for last 5.
    O'all: 9:46/mile. Just 20' to go, over the next three days.
    YTD: 690' .
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Harmander,that'll give you good publicity.

MrM2,well done on your challenge,fantastic running.Happy Birthday as well.

Donnie,well done,you're going in the right direction.

TT,congrats in advance for passing 400.

20.04 - 5.25
    21.04 - 5.25
    23.04 - 9.34
    YTD -  355.77 miles

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great going, MrM2.

Virtual 5K today, with a 2 mile warm-up and same for the cool-down. Ran the 5K in a (for me) blistering 24:35 - I've only done two parkruns faster than that so I'm happy with that as it's hard to hit race pace on your own.

YTD: 661
  • Options
    Morning,

Cal, glad your leg is holding up, and well done on the 5K as you say it isn't easy running at pace when on your own.

I have managed to get out for the past two mornings nice and early, still pretty nippy at 5.45!

23.04.20 - 6.75 (average 5.12 km)
    24.04.20 - 6.75 (average 5.10 km) Felt slower I must admit.

YTD = 219.70

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks JD1 and Cal; never imagined that I'd enjoy this week so much.
    Cal... You certainly bounce back! 24:35 is a great time.

Out again for a 5:30 start. Planned a 10' run but extended it to 12'. (out in 59:05 and back in 59:22)
    So, another comfortable 12' with o'all pace 9:52/mile. Just 8' to go.
    YTD: 702' .
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal well done for the 5km, that is a really good pace for a non race, it will be really interesting to see what you manage to do when races start again!

David I too run early, it's nippy I agree but so clear at the moment.

Thanks JD1, thanks to the run this morning, YTD: 408.73 miles
  • Options
    Congrats on the 700 MrM2 and belated birthday wishes.
    Well done on overcoming whatever it was Cal.
    Early morning are best in the garden I found too TT and the 400 mark is now behind you.

Apologies for not posting for last three days but one elderly member of our running club passed away from COVID 19 - he was 84 and still running - I was interviewed by STV News for their bulletins.  That is three out of the original six elders gone now.  In case you can't find him by googling, here is a tribute in an Asian paper. The Daily Mirror reporter has put me on hold.

http://jknewsline.com/punjab-pays-tribute-to-amrik-singh-who-died-of-covid-19/

On Sunday I will not be running on the treadmill but walking the full marathon in my garden instead to replace the cancelled VLM - I will be dedicating it to Amrik Singh.

I did 8.07 miles since last posting (3 x 8.07 miles - including today's) makes my 
    YTD = 877.91 miles
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear that, Harmander. It does seem so unfair that active elders are still getting taken down by this disease.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander... Sorry to hear your sad news; your garden marathon will be a fitting tribute.
    All the best to anyone else running/walking special events tomorrow (VLM day).

Out at 05:30 again, to complete my 76' challenge, with an 8' run. Wanted to see what was left in the tank so pushed the middle 4' close to mara. pace, but it wasn't quite there. Summary for the week:

Mon 20th   12'   1:58:20  (with 6' splits of 59:25 and 58:55)    pace: 9:52/mile.

Tues 21st   16'   2:38:13  (incl. 6' splits of 59:25 and 59:22)    pace: 9:53/mile.

Wed. 22nd  12'   1:58:53  (with 6' splits of 59:53 and 59:00)    pace: 9:55/mile

Thu. 23rd   16'   2:36:13                                                          pace: 9:46/mile

Fri    24th   12'   1:58:27  (with 6' splits of 59:05 and 59:22)    pace: 9:52/mile

Sat   25th     8'    1:15:58                                                          pace: 9:29/mile  

Total time for the 76' was 12:26:04 giving an o'all pace: 9:49/mile

Rest day tomorrow, then back to a better mixture next week, after all the easy/steady miles.
    YTD: 710' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: I tip my hat to you, I like to think I can run constant miles at a set pace, but those splits are exceptionally. 

Harmander: as Mr MM says, your garden marathon seem a suitable tribute. 

Cal: seems the niggle has been well managed. 

I've run for three consecutive days, and cover 21 miles which for me is a heavy work load. Interestingly I felt I was struggling a little on the first one and the first half of the longer run, but felt good today! Today I was 5.04 per km. Plan to have a more organised attempt at some intervals this week! 

Ytd: 428.6 + 5 + 11.1 + 5.4 = 450.1
  • Options
    Harmander, very sorry to hear that, best of luck tomorrow, as others have already said, a fitting tribute.
    MrM2, what an incredible achievement, with brilliant consistency to boot, now make sure you have an easier week.

Hope Dubai is okay, he never usually misses long periods, let's hope he is still safe and enjoying many laps around the pool.

Rest day today, might have another go at the half in the morning, see if l can shave a few seconds off.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear your sad news Harmander , fitting tribute indeed.
    Great to hear everyone's great efforts to keep moving best you can.
    Wales seems to be closing down a bit more on cycling and sea swimming....I've decided to keep running very local for now...options are hill reps outside the house, beach reps (like this one) or a 1.8 mile loop around the block with 325ft of climb in it.
    Been doing a few of these recently. 
    425 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hills are good, Hobie.
    Yes, hope Dubai is OK...

Rested yesterday so I'd be fresh for the 2.6 challenge today. 2 mile warm-up, stretched a bit, then busted out the 2.6 in 20:27, which was an all-out effort. Average pace was 7:50 so happy with that (especially as it's over a 70 WAVA). Did a further 4.5 miles to cool down (was going to do 4.4 but I couldn't not do that last .1, it was niggling at me).

YTD: 670
  • Options
    Good afternoon all, I’m okay and all caught up.

Harmander sorry to hear about your loss.

MrM2 great mileage and Happy Birthday.

We’ve finally come out of full on lockdown, although with heavy restrictions, you must wear a mask leaving the house and you are only meant to leave for essentials. Malls are starting to reopen as are cafes, although with Ramadan upon us they have there own restrictions, only a few years ago I remember they were closed for Ramadan so it’s something at least. There’s a curfew between 2200-0600 which once again I have clearance to travel in for work as on Tuesday and Wednesday I need to be leaving the house at 0430.

Also now you are allowed to leave the house to exercise alone, although you have to wear a mask and increase distance from anyone as it travels further if running or cycling. Yesterday’s run was with face mask in 38 degrees but was great to be out.

In the end I did 5260 laps to give 147.28k or 91.54 miles.

• Options
    11.4 500 laps = 8.7
    13.4 am 215 laps = 3.74 pm 110 laps = 1.91
    14.4 350 laps = 6.09
    16.4 470 laps = 8.18
    17.4 575 laps = 10
    19.4 520 laps = 9.05
    20.4 330 laps = 5.74
    21.4 260 laps = 4.52
    22.4 am 230 laps = 4.02 pm 320 laps = 5.57
    23.4 200 laps = 3.48
    24.4 back outside 6.02
    25.4 6.05
    26.4 7.03

YTD 626.15 miles 
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    DR good to read an update, sounds as if things are much stricter than here. Then again where we are nearly every one is existing on an amazing independent fruit and veg shop doing online deliveries helped by the local independent removal company and local independent chicken farmer, so a little different to most places in the country. 

Cal some really good running, must be very motivating to run that well outside a race.

Hobie your loops sound like hills to me!

Harmander sorry to hear about your friend. 

End of a much enjoyed drop-down week:

YTD 416.09
  • Options
    DONE IT THIS MORNING

The VLM replacement Garden Marathon dedicated to my friend Amrik Singh from Glasgow report.

Started at midnight, took 50837 steps, covered 42.46 km (just to make sure) in 408 minutes (marathon distance time was 405 minutes 28 seconds.

Am pleased because the average time for the equivalent of four marathons in a week (on the same course lol) was 412:30 minutes and I used to do these in several sessions in a day whereas last night it was one continuous trek.

Was great to see the dawn break and the birds (flying variety) start chirping.

I made two short videos near the end in which I made the appeal for funds from anywhere but made a special mention to criminals saying it might give them a clearer conscience if they donated some of their ill gotten gains.  The second video showed me closing in to the finish with the club's proper Seiko Sports Clock ticking away next to the well stocked feed station.

During the marathon I had a packet of crisps, a small pack of Ritz crackers, two chunky Kit Kats, two Clif Double Expresso Shots (Energy Gel) that had 100mg caffeine and two cans of a cheapo energy drink (three for a quid).

Many would consider the course somewhat uninspiring but thankfully it was almost pitch black save for the light from the street lamp on the other side of the wall - this aspect did not bother me but the total lack of support from spectators was noticeable. 

As soon as I finished, I took a screenshot at 06:49 for verification purposes - the details of which are shared above - there was something about 1919kcal on it but I have no idea what that is about.  All I know is that I had been awake since 6:00 am yesterday and covered 14.20 km in addition to 8.09 miles on the treadmill before the start of the marathon - excuse me if I say I am knackered now having been awake for over 34 hours - my grand kids are wondering why I am making excuses not to push them on the swings - bless them.

YTD = 886 miles

Seriously, I am NOT making an appeal but in case anyone feels they want to, my friend has set up the GoFundMe page and said I can paste the following link - thanks if you do.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/run-500-miles-in-my-garden-for-two-good-causes