Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone,

Molly, our posts crossed, so I will attempt to reply to yours. 

Wow, those samples are very impressive.

Glad to hear that you are feeling lighter, now that your work load is back to normal. It's always a great relief when targets etc have been met!

A few short runs in a step back week is fine. Helps to recharge the batteries!

No run for me today, I've been shopping and walked back with another 3 heavy shopping bags.

This afternoon there will probably be 17 of us in the street celebrating the 75th Anniversary of VE Day. We will, of course, be keeping the 2 metre distance between us.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Afternoon everyone,

Molly - well done finishing your samples .. those pieces you've been working on look great! Just to clarify - I sorted through my own photo albums years ago. Those crates of photos were Margaret's. She needed them because our grand-daughters needed some photos for a VE Day display. So Margaret found some photos of HER Dad (their great-Grandad) which she sent them. I don't think she has any intention of sorting through the photos or putting them into photo albums. I'm just waiting to be told they can go back into the loft! Re that course I was doing but have now left .. I think the main 'Americanism' that was getting to me was the constant references to 'Math' (which we obviously refer to as Maths). But I just couldn't get on with the dumbed-down way it was being presented, the attempts to be 'jokey' and the slightly amateurish way it was being presented. You'll be pleased to know that the Excel course I have signed up to appears to be much more professionally put together - and no mention of 'Math' yet! :)

HS - I thought I had seen some long goods trains in my youth. But when we were in Canada, we saw some over half a mile long! I'll try and attach a photo taken at the Spiral Tunnels at Kicking Horse Pass. The tunnel in question is 1km long and you can see the front of the train emerging from the far end before the goods wagon at the end has disappeared from view. The U3A meeting on Zoom worked out reasonably well - we had to quickly establish some 'ground rules' though - the organiser muted everyone's microphone and you had to raise your hand if you wished to speak - and that seemed to work well and avoid a cacophony. We've been having a weekly Skype chat with my friend Alan but today their video/audio kept breaking up. So we stopped the Skype call and I sent him a Zoom meeting invitation - and that worked much better without any problems. Well done re your 8ml and 6.6ml runs.

Damien - I can imagine you've been busy at work with lots of people ordering stuff online.

After yesterday's run I had some soreness behind my right knee. But I'm sure that was down to the bending and stretching I was doing in the garden. I've been out doing a bit more gardening today (planted some free dahlias we were given) and my knee wasn't giving me any problems. So the stretching I've been doing must be helping. Hopefully it will be okay and won't stop me running again tomorrow or Sunday.

A photo of the half-mile long goods train that I mentioned follows ..

• Options
    I like that photo.
    :)
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Realised that photo might be difficult to understand in isolation. If I remember correctly, the tunnels were designed and built by Swiss engineers because of their experience in this sort of thing. Here's a photo of the diagram explaining how the two spiral tunnels work to enable the trains to gain height (the previous photo was taken from the 'You Are Here' point on the diagram ..

• Options
    Good Evening Everyone,

And, Happy VE Day (one day late) :smiley: Is 'Happy VE Day' an appropriate greeting?

HS, It is really nice to hear that you are able to continue with your mileage in the forest.  Are you running early in the day, or are there less people out on the paths lately?

I find it very funny that Mr. Motivator is mirroring your life workouts by using grocery bags.  If it catches on, you may start seeing the streets full of people hoisting their food in the air as they walk home.

Apparently Trump's skeptical stance on the virus may be coming home to roost. As of today, one of his staff has the virus, the press secretary for the vice president has the virus, and Trump's daughter's personal assistant has the virus.  It might get interesting in the capital in the near future.

WtnMel, You must be taking really good vitamins! You always seem to have energy for a new challenge. It's very inspiring.

I had no idea that our 'math' is your 'maths'. Though, when I think about it, I can see that shortening mathematics (as in 'majored in mathematics') to maths makes more sense.  We do tend to truncate words in odd places.  The Learn to Learn course does sound as if it was on the painful side of patronizing, I'm glad that you are finding more enjoyment in the new course.  

There is going to be a fairly large Zoom chat/meeting in a couple of weeks that I am supposed to participate in. I'm hoping that there are going to be ground rules such as you described as working for your U3A meeting.  I have to say that I haven't really become comfortable with Zoom, as of yet.  I've been avoiding several zoom offers and opting for phone or email.  

Your train photo is really impressive, and the diagram was very helpful. As you noted, I would never have fully realized what I was looking at without the diagram.  

Damien Nagle, When I saw WtnMel's photo the first thing I thought was that it was a picture of your snake, Noodle, laying in the grass!

Welp, we had a bunch of snow this morning, and the winds have been at gale force level since last night. The high winds are supposed to continue through tomorrow. The good news is that, after next weekend, the weather is forecast to finally behave in a manner appropriate to the season.  

Yesterday was scheduled to be an easy 5 miles. However, after the first mile, I received a phone call that I needed to take, which broke up the run.  After the call, I returned to the treadmill, but I had lost my mojo (so to speak), and every plodding step brought me a little lower on the motivation scale. In order to bring the run to a merciful end, I picked up my pace quite a bit for the last mile and half, and ended up feeling much better for it. I'm beginning to think that 'easy', slow paced runs are really hard on my moods/enjoyment levels. I know that they have an important place in training, but sometimes I just need to move a little more. Today was cross training on the bike, and tomorrow is a pace run.  That should be much more fun!
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Molly - I've not managed to catch Mr Motivator on tv myself .. but given the fact that for an old 'un, he's in the sort of shape I wish I was, there's probably a lesson for me somewhere! It was pleasing to see members of Trump's staff have caught the virus after the way they've been twisting the facts and ignoring the evidence of it's danger - karma is a wonderful thing. Yes, re the L2L course, it was the patronising, stating the obvious, aspects that were the main irritation. I've done some more of that 'Everyday Excel' course and it is far better presented - and I didn't realise how little I knew about Excel (been learning lots of new features and aspects I'd never examined). Having used Zoom a few times now I'm happy with it myself. I'm hoping when my Mum leaves hospital and is back at her flat, my sister will be able to do a quick Zoom or WhatsApp video call so we can see her to say hello. I was surprised to read you've had more snow (I guess I figured it would have stopped by now, regardless of the geography of where you are). I can imagine a phone call in the middle of a treadmill run would interrupt your focus - but regardless of that, perhaps you just need to be in the right mood for a slow, easy run in the first place?

Speaking of which, I got up at 5:30am (and didn't even grumble to myself about being up so early on a Sunday!). I had read a feature in the paper yesterday about getting into the flow when out running, keeping your focus on 50yds ahead rather than just in front of yourself and trying to empty your mind instead of thinking how your breathing was or whether your legs were getting tired. That was what I tried this morning - and apart from keeping a beady eye out for dog-walkers, pedestrians and other runners - it seemed to work. I did my 5.15ml route in 54:39 (avg pace 10:37mm) - according to Fetch, that's my fastest time ever on that route, and Strava said the 'training effect' was 4.0 (highly impacting) so I'll take those two plaudits gratefully. Just 3 bikes, 2 dogs, 10 walkers and 3 runners this morning - so a bit quieter (as you'd probably expect for 6am on a Sunday).

It was lovely when I was out running - cloudy, rather than sunny but a pleasant temperature -  but I notice the wind is now getting up and it looks like the rain we've been promised for later is already on it's way.
  • Options
    Evening all,

WtnMel, thanks for that photo of the goods train. It's amazing to be pulling half a mile worth of wagons.

Good that your U3A Zoom meeting went ok. I'm imagining that this could be the future for meetings, obviating the necessity for miles of travelling, and thus helping the environment. It seems that Zoom is more reliable than Skype. I was never very impressed with it. I haven't tried the WhatsApp video facility.

Sorry to hear about the soreness behind your right knee, but good that it appears to be ok now, as your run this morning was the fastest ever on that route, well done😃

Molly, there was a lot of celebrating the 75th Anniversary of VE Day yesterday, but tinged with a certain amount of sadness for all the loved ones that gave their lives during the war to secure our freedom.

I was only running on the pavements yesterday as I was doing the virtual isolation 5k challenge. My time was 27.00 minutes, which was very frustrating, as without having to dodge on and off the road, I would have been several seconds quicker and met my target of sub 27 minutes. The fetcheveryone WAVA calculator has been updated to reflect current 100%  times, meaning that our WAVAS are lower, even for a quicker time. This will make my target of attaining 70% even harder.

I ran in the forest this morning leaving home about the same time as yesterday, 8.30am, and ran 8.26 miles. this is my furthest run for some while, and was quite tough as my legs were still feeling the effects of yesterdays 5k.

It would be amusing to see the shoppers raising their bags up and down as they walked home😁

Trumps chickens are certainly coming home to roost. Apparently he is having daily tests and so far is clear.

That's a bit of a surprise you having snow, but we have been known to have it in April in the past. 

I'm not surprised that the phone call during your run, made you lose your mojo for the treadmill. That's one reason I very seldom carry my phone whilst running.

I find slow recovery runs harder than shorter but faster runs and with a higher average heart rate. You would think that it would be the other way round. Enjoy your pace run tomorrow.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

HS - glad you liked the photo .. my mind still boggles at half-mile long trains! I'm sure Zoom meetings (or similar) will be what is used in future as apart from important things like meeting up with customers, people have seen that everyday meetings between staff are perfectly feasible without the need to travel long distances. I saw some comments on Fetch about people who had lost their 70% WAVA scores - you've just explained why. Well done re your 8.25ml run.

People in my club are still being very imaginative. They had already been out finding Penfold post-boxes and street-signs of either their name or 60's or 70's groups. The latest thing someone has come up with is a 'bingo card' with a lot of different challenges which people complete while out running - don't think anyone has managed a full house yet. It's definitely helping people keep in touch and stay motivated.

One of the ladies in my Thursday group had been training for the 'Bath Beat' HM before it was cancelled but she has continued with her long runs and this past week, managed to run a total of 60mls.

I'm thinking I'll cut the lawns later on today - then planning to be up and about early again tomorrow to run before it gets too busy.
  • Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

WtnMel, The Everyday Excel course sounds very useful, and probably something that I should look at.  The program that I use to keep my business accounts is very out of date (years out of date), and I don't like the updated versions. I can't install the program, in the same format that I prefer, onto my laptop. As a result, I keep a big clunky computer in my office taking up space that could be better utilized.  I suspect that I could set up Excel to do what I want if I had a better grip on it.  Now, you have me thinking...

For some reason I thought that your mother was leaving the hospital this past weekend? Am I confused, or are they keeping her longer for some reason?  I'm sure that a video chat would be very reassuring for you, and a boost for her.

I think that you are right about having the correct mindset for the slow easy runs. I am an impatient person by nature, and I tend to find the slow runs a little frustrating.  I like your description of minding your mind, so to speak, during your run. Congratulations! on your time.  What a nice accomplishment.  Excellent job :smiley:

HS, Ugh! how frustrating to be so close to your time goal. Still it was an excellent effort, and, now, you know that you will go sub 27 very soon. 

I really hate it when goal posts change. And, the WAVA update sounds like it definitely changed that goal post.  But, I think it is clear from watching your pace improvements over the last year that you will reach the 70% goal this summer.

The 8.26 miles back-to-back with a hard 5k run must have been tough. I hope that today is a rest day :smile: I am sure that your legs will be glad for a break.

Our snow was short lived. Yay! And the winds died down to a reasonable level. We are just having an unseasonably cold spring. I have a bunch of my dye plants that I still haven't been able to plant in my raised beds because of the weather. I am a little worried about how long I can nurse them along in their starter pots.

Yesterday's pace run was much more enjoyable!  Today is a rest day, which my legs are very much appreciating. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out whether I should try to run the nine miles outside tomorrow, or just grit my teeth and stick it out on the treadmill.  I don't fancy darting into the busy roads, but the treadmill is beginning to feel like slow torture.  I'll probably make up my mind just as I'm lacing up my shoes.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, that's an amazing photo and almost unbelievable, an half mile long train!

I sent an fmail to Ian (fetch) asking why the WAVA's had changed and that's how I found out.

Thanks I enjoyed the long forest run, but my legs were starting to ache during the last couple of miles, as that was my longest for several weeks, and the day after my hard 5k.

Those challenges thought up by your club are a good way to motivate everyone and report back with their findings.  The Virtual Isolation 5k challenge which our club has been operating in lieu of the parkruns, is a great success and there are 27 of us who post our times and WAVA's on facebook messenger, which are then inserted into a grid by one of our runners. It's very competitive as most of us are vets, and it's great to get higher WAVA's than some of the younger runners who times may be 10 minutes of more quicker than ours.

That's very impressive, a 60 mile week by one of your lady runners. There aren't many club runners these days that do that sort of mileage.

I hope the weather your way is conducive for gardening? It's been freezing cold all day today, mainly due to the very strong icy winds. I only ran 3.6 miles on roads because it was such hard going, and I was chilled to the bone, despite wearing a long sleeved thermal top under my t shirt. I didn't wear my cap, as the wind would have blown it away.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

Molly - I'd definitely recommend this Everyday Excel course I'm doing. It's presented by Charlie Nuttelman from the University of Colorado Boulder and its available through Coursera .. and best of all, its free! I was using Office 2010 which I had installed for work. But my son and I have purchased Office 365 because we can share the cost of the licence. No - my Mum went into hospital ten days ago and had her hip operation on Sun 3rd. I managed to speak to her today and she's hoping to be able to go home in a day or two. Glad you enjoyed your pace run!

HS - re the WAVA changes, I see some people were saying they would like to keep their old percentages. It struck me they could set Fetch to use the old tables, export their training to Excel, then set Fetch back to the new tables - that way they have a record of their previous WAVA scores. 

Has anyone else heard about the "Ross Barkley 5k" challenge? He's a footballer apparently. And posted a ridiculous, world-beating 5k time. Turned out he was doing sprints, stopping his Garmin after each sprint and recovering, then re-starting his Garmin each time he started sprinting again. One of our lady members posted a brilliant 5k time by sprinting downhill using the Ross Barkley method. 

On Fetch I've started playing Fetchpoint again as it's good for getting me running different routes. So tomorrow's run route has been sorted out and I'm hoping to squish the four bugs on my map which have been losing me points each day.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Back from this morning's run - only did 3mls today but tried to maintain a decent effort and managed an avg pace of 10:35mm. Have quickly decided to give up on Fetchpoint - I had forgotten that because the 'home circle' is 1 mile diameter and where we live isn't that big, I spend most of the time marking things as unreachable as they're on private land!
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning all,

I see I’ve a bit of catching up to do with recent posts. I’ve kept meaning to drop in but have been a bit busy with different things the last few days (nothing exciting, just the usual day to day stuff and housework etc). 

Quickly reading through I see that you’ve all been busy too, Molly with her samples (which look great btw), WtnMel with the Zoom U3A meeting and Everyday Excel (I cringe at the use of Math for Maths too) HS putting us all to shame with his amazing times and mileage, not to mention the shopping bag weight training :p and poor Damien back at work and trying to fit in running as well. 

I'll read through properly later, but for now....

I did a 7 mile run on Saturday and decided to try to keep a tally, a la WtnMel, of dog walkers, cyclists, runners etc. I was an hour later (6.30am) leaving the house than I’d intended, having slept in, so I fully expected to find my route more heavily populated than normal. As it turned out I was pleasantly surprised as I only saw 10 dog walkers, 4 cyclists, 3 walkers, 2 runners and 1 lady on horseback. I stood aside for the horse as it was considerably bigger than me and the path was quite narrow at that point. I usually stop running and stand quite still when someone passes me on a horse as I know some are easily spooked by a person running towards them on a narrow trail. It was a lovely warm morning and I really enjoyed my run.
    In contrast yesterday morning I went out at 5.15am and was found it really cold, so much so I couldn’t open our side gate when I got back because my hands were numb, despite wearing gloves. I think the weather must also have numbed Garmin as I’d run a mile to our local park, then did my first hill repeat before Garmin thawed out and found the satellites. I did my usual 6 sets of hill repeats and when I got home I found the repeats that Garmin did record were slightly quicker than normal, so I was a bit frustrated that I missed the first one. I was glad to finish though because of the cold, and ran back home fairly briskly. Strangely, although it was early, and very cold, I noticed more people out and about than normal for that time of day. Possibly something to do with Boris’s confusing announcement the previous evening  regarding people being allowed to exercise more? I saw a great clip on Facebook yesterday of Matt Lucas as Boris explaining what the latest government advice is. I wish I knew how, or even if, I could post it on here. If you get the chance it’s still available if you do a search for Matt Lucas and select the clip called The Rewind. 

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Aquarius - nice to 'see' you back here after a few days away. Well done re your 7ml run (I forgot to say my run was quieter than other days with just 2 bikes, 1 dog-walker, 5 people and only 1 other runner). That must have been cold yesterday to give you numb fingers. Shame about your Garmin playing up again and not recognising the satellites. I've not seen that clip of Matt Lucas - but I did see a photo of Boris's face superimposed on "Mandy" with the caption "Yeh, but no, but yeh, but no" :)

The early start is obviously taking it's toll. I spent some time working on my 5G presentation this morning. After lunch I had a cup of tea and some cake and was reading the paper on Margaret's ipad and my eyelids closed (momentarily I think!). So I'm heading outside to do some gentle gardening and get some fresh air to keep me awake until bedtime! ;)
  • Options
    Good afternoon all,

Molly, our posts crossed. I'm hoping to go sub 27 minutes on Saturday, and should manage it if I don't have to dodge round pedestrians and dog walkers. The downgrading of our WAVAS is frustrating, but to be accurate, must reflect percentages of current 100% times. The only good thing is that PB's set years ago were based on records set then, so valid. I didn't have a rest day yesterday, but ran a very slow 3.6 miles, as my legs were tired, and I was battling a very strong and icy cold wind. Did you run 9 miles on the road today, or resort to the treadmill? 

WtnMel, I don't see how the fetch tables can be altered, as to get the WAVAS we use the calculator by inserting distance, age, male or female and press enter. The WAVA is then displayed at the top of the calculator. 

I haven't heard of the Ross Barkley 5k challenge, but sprinting down hill for 5k should produce a much faster time than an uphill one.

I've never done the fetchpoint game, which I imagine is similar to the circles, which I pointed out to you quite a while ago. I still look after each run, but have only managed 1,000 in a month once.

Aquarius, a good precis of our posts!

Well done for your runs on Saturday and yesterday. It was very cold and windy here too yesterday as I mentioned above. The increase in people out and about was probably due to Boris's usual waffle. He's as bad as Trump! I imagine the clip to which your refer was Mat Lucas "taking the mickey?"

I didn't run today, but walked home with my usual 3 shopping bags. I must be getting used to it, as they didn't feel as heavy.

I did 6 x 10 second front planks, 21 press ups and the Mr Motivator workout when I got home.

I'm running with Sarah H tomorrow with the 2 metre gap, as that will be allowed. We are concerned that the forest and Lepe Beach will be swamped tomorrow , now that there will be no limit to how far people can drive for recreation, or even sun bathing. Additionally, they have just released stallions into the forest which are fiercely protective of the females and their calves. Dogs running freely off their leads are likely to be trampled, so the owners should beware, as they could be attacked too. 
  • Options
    Hi all,

Wanderer returning here. I sort of got out of the habit of posting. I also tend to flit between this thread and the Over 60s guys and girls. (Whoever will have me!) I recognise some names having been absent for over a year. It's good to see so many regulars still posting and encouraging others.

My running news. Now in the 65 Age Category since Xmas and was looking forward to upping my age grade and getting some parkrun category 1st places. Battling with a dodgy knee. Some form: a 6.24 mile latterly. Am in a kind of virtual running challenge with other guys from a football club (Brighton) forum. All younger than me and some better than me even with Age Grade - two are sub 5 minute milers. Great motivation!

I'm still the least structured runner I know in terms of training, but I have at long last got a Garmin. Have got a 5k and a 3k 'challenge' on at the moment, but after the mile they seem to be very long distances!

All the best,
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

I’ve read back over everyone’s posts in more detail now.

HS: I remember I-Spy books too, I think most children had at least one of the series, but I don’t suppose they would appeal to today’s generation. I’ve never done either Skype or Zoom, only FaceTime occasionally. Steve Skypes a friend in America quite often, but the connection’s not always great, making the images a bit jerky, and sometimes the connection is lost altogether. I’ll suggest Zoom to him, although he’s a bit of a tech-phobe, and will probably be reluctant to try it. I usually have to help him with any IT problems that crop up and I generally do any online ordering he wants. To be fair though, I’m probably not much better, I’ve got to grips with most of the things I need to do, but I’m not keen on learning anything new. I find things evolve too quickly and no sooner have you learned how to do something than that method becomes obsolete, or you need to down load an updated version, or it’s replaced altogether by something new (any probably more complicated). So when IT problems crop up I try all the things I can think of, then phone one of my sons for help.
    On the subject of trains, I was never a train spotter, but I do have a memory of being at our local station on a cold winter day. I was with my mother, and we must have been taking a train to Newcastle, for shopping presumably, although this was a rare occurrence. The train wasn’t due for a while so we waited in the waiting room (now long demolished) where a lovely coal fire was burning. The room was warm and very smokey, and I can still see the wooden benches around the walls where we sat. It seemed like quite an adventure at the time. I think I must only have been about 4 years old.
    I’ve also got loads of black and white photos, long forgotten holidays, lots of people I don’t know, plus many I do know who look so young and different in the photos. 
    Steve’s heart rate monitor is a hand held device. You need to put a finger from each hand on it for 30 seconds, or for a more detailed result the device has to be placed on the leg, just above the knee. An App on Steve’s phone displays the results which can be saved and emailed to a doctor if desired. We haven’t sent any results yet, we’re still trying to decide if the monitor is sufficiently accurate. Sometimes it indicates possible AF, sometimes it says no abnormalities detected and sometimes it says it can’t give a reading due to interference. I suppose all of these outcomes are possible, as Steve’s AF was classed as being intermittent, and he does feel he still has symptoms. I think we’ll have to wait for the NHS monitor and a cardiologist’s diagnosis to be sure. 
    Your continued improvement at the 5k challenge is very impressive, but I fully sympathise with you regarding the change to WAVA. I know it needs to be updated from time to time and it is important that it is accurate and relevant, but to change it just as you were in touching distance of 70% seems cruel. You’ll just have to look at it as a challenge, and keep trying. I hope your run today with Sarah H goes well, it’ll be nice to have some company again on a run.
    WtnMel: How is your mum doing? Is she out of hospital yet? I hope you’ll be able to get that Zoom call set up soon. A technical question - why does Zoom work better than Skype? How do they differ in how they work and what they offer? (I think that’s two questions actually)
    That’s a great photo of the goods train. What part of Canada was that? 
    I see you’ve been doing some good outdoor running, so that work on the treadmill has obviously helped, also the mind emptying system apparently. I find my mind is often empty, and not just when I am running. I hope your knee hasn’t given you any further problems. Pity you’ve had to give up on your Fetchpoint challenge, I’ve never done it myself - is the home circle something that is specified in the challenge?
    I’m also finding these early starts, plus the other exercising I’m doing, leaves me tired in the afternoon. I should have been out early this morning, but opted for a lie in instead. We had a nice walk yesterday (just under 5 miles) and today are planning on taking advantage of the slightly relaxed regulations to drive over to the coast and have a walk there (providing the car parks aren’t completely full). So no running today, but I’ll probably get up early tomorrow and do my interval session.
    Molly: I hadn’t heard of the Great Courses series, but it sounds like a good idea. There seems to be more and more online, or audio, home learning courses these days. I’ve done a couple with Futurelearn one about nutrition, and one on endurance running. Last night we were watching a programme on TV called The Sky at Night. (I’m not sure whether it is also available in the USA, but as the title suggests it’s an astronomy programme and has just celebrated it’s 800th programme.) In last night’s programme they mentioned about Citizen Science, which I hadn’t heard of before, but it seems there are a number of activities that amateurs can take part in to help the scientific community. I looked it up after the programme and found one of the activities they need help with is identifying spirals in galaxies. It seems humans are better at identifying patterns than computers, so images are sent to volunteers to examine and the results are collated and areas for further investigation are identified. I’d like to think I could find the time to have a go at this, but in reality if I took it on i think something else would have to go.
    I hope you have seen the last of the snow and your weather improves soon. Did you manage to get outside for your 9 mile run yesterday? I can’t imagine how mind numbing 9 miles would be on a treadmill. Fingers crossed that you didn’t have to resort to that.  
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    John - welcome back! Our posts obviously crossed (I'm getting good at that). Please keep dropping in whenever you can, we've missed your posts. I'm pleased to see you are still running, and still competitive.
    Welcome to the dodgy knee club :)
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Morning everyone (well, it is as I start writing at 11:30am ..)

HS - I'd not noticed the WAVA calculator on Fetch before but have just seen it. If you want to change your WAVA table on Fetch for all your training .. click on 'Profile' on the top menu, click on 'Settings' on your profile menu, then 3rd from bottom is 'WAVA Factors' - you can click in the box and change it back to 'Use 2010 tables' - hope that helps. That 'Ross Barkley challenge is basically people taking the mickey out of him for posting a 5K time of 16:11 thanks to stopping/starting his watch between sprints .. people are seeing how fast they can pretend to run by doing the same thing. Fetchpoint is the game where you collect gemstones etc. for points while squishing bugs that make you lose points. By way of comparison, my largest number of circles was in March (1071). Reading you are planning to run with Sarah - I can't see me running with a training partner any time soon (and the Thu morning runs are still a long way off). 

JB - welcome back. People do tend to drift off from time to time but you're always welcome to join us, especially as our reach is now international thanks to Molly (aka NikkosRunningPartner joining us). Always good to go up an age category (and be a young 'un in that range). But bad news about your dodgy knee. I know what you mean about anything other than 3k or 5k seeming a long way - my 'long' run at the moment is probably 6mls. I'm still hoping the 10ml Ridgeway Run will happen in October and if it does, I'll be needing to increase my LSR distance at the weekends.

Aquarius - I'd say Zoom is easier to use than some others, which I guess is why it's become so popular. The best thing with Zoom is if you've a friend who's familiar with it, they can send an email with a meeting request and all you have to do is click on the link in the email and you're in a video call. One difference is that Skype only works if you have a Skype account set-up. Apart from that, I'd say they're broadly similar though in my fairly limited experience, Zoom seems to offer better sound and video quality over the same broadband signal. Those Spiral Tunnels are in British Columba in the Rockies, around 60 miles NW of Banff. I'd expect to get more accurate readings on the HRM from fingers rather than behind the knee - as you say, wait and see how accurate it is. Yes, like you my mind doesn't just empty when I run - only yesterday I was chatting while making coffee for Margaret and I and I started spooning the ground coffee into the cups rather than the cafetiere - a proper senior moment! I used to watch The Sky at Night regularly - but I'm afraid I can't get on with Maggie Aderin-Pocock and the way she delivers her lines - so regretfully I give it a miss these days.

Aquarius was asking about my Mum - my sister has sent me a WhatsApp message to say she's been moved to another ward ready to be discharged. Some equipment was delivered to her flat yesterday to help with getting about and managing until her hip is better. We're just waiting for the care package to be put in place (nurses attending etc.) and then she may be back at home as early as today or tomorrow.

I've realised I was probably (a la Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit) 'a bit hasty' giving up on Fetchpoint so quickly. Maybe I'll give it another go. But I'll make sure I choose my home point more carefully as you have to run outside the 1ml diameter circle around your designated home point to get rid off any bugs you have collected.

I pottered in the garden yesterday afternoon - turned over the contents of the compost bin, cut back some more of the laurel and watered some of the new plants. I should be out there again sometime today but I'd also like to spend some more time on my 5G presentation and Excel course on Coursera. I'm already eyeing up other courses Coursera has to offer.

I'm planning to run early again tomorrow morning - must get to bed earlier tonight! :)

(and I've just noticed it's now 12:30pm - doesn't time fly when you're having fun)

• Options
    Many thanks for the warm welcomes of which I am totally unworthy! This thread is so chatty with folk leading full and interesting lives. All I do is run quite fast and very short distances. Talking of which: 3k today in 12.52, aiming at 12.30. I'm not really happy unless I'm hurting which might just might be part of the explanation for the knee.

We have a hedgehog in our suburban garden. This was such a joyous discovery that my wife splashed out n a special hedgehog house (complete with a 25 year mortgage). Since we put it in the garden we've not seen the hedgehog. Bloody snob - obviously not good enough for him/her.
  • Options
    Good morning all,

Welcome back John! It's been a very long time since we last heard from you! 6.24 for the mile is amazing for a 65 year old. I'm 74 and wouldn't be able to get anywhere near that time. My knee injury 3 years ago prevented me from doing any speed work, so I was working on building up a good mileage base, and ran nearly 1,800 miles last year. I'm doing shorter runs now, and participating in virtual 5k solo challenges with other club members.

I hope your dodgy knee soon heals up, but it doesn't seem to have slowed you down. I still remember the Hayling 10 mile a few years ago, where you out sprinted me on the line. Good luck with your attempts to run 12.30 for 3k.

Had to laugh at the hedgehog moving out of your garden, after your wife purchased a house for him/her😃

Aquarius, I'm not keeping up with all the new apps that everyone seems to be using. I don't stream any music, for example, and since my ipod "died" I have run without music.

I remember station waiting rooms, some with coal fires and some with no heating. I can remember shivering in unheated waiting rooms, when I have just missed a train and the next wasn't for another hour. It's many years since now since I have been on a train, or the tube.

Steve's HR Monitor does appear to be rather erratic, a bit like the optical monitor on Garmins. I hope the NHS monitor arrives soon, so that you can get reliable readings.

I think I will stick with the updated WAVA Tables, because as standards improve, we must improve accordingly. The only reservation I have, is whether the new records were set by the runners wearing those Nike shoes, which are supposed to give a 4% increase in performance.

It was really good running yesterday with Sarah in the forest. It was easy to keep 2 metres apart, but more difficult where we had to run on the pavements, especially when other runners or walkers were approaching us. Lots of on and off the pavements.

I hope you were able to have your walk at the coast yesterday ? Hope your interval session went well this morning. I'm taking today and tomorrow as rest days, as I developed an ache on the top of my right foot, towards the end of yesterdays run. I want to be able to do Saturdays 5k, but won't if it still aches.

WtnMel, thanks for your fmail yesterday. I was surprised how straight forward ot would be to make the change. I've passed the info on to Dan, who is maintaining the 5k results table, but he hasn't responded yet. To be fair, we should all be working on the same tables, the new, or the 2010.

I like your senior moment, spooning the ground coffee into the cups, instead of the percolator. I've done similar spooning instant coffee into a mug, instead of Ovaltine.

Good news that your mum may be back home today or tomorrow! A shame that you won't be able to greet her on her return.

Hope you were able to get out for your early morning run this morning.

I ran just over 6 miles yesterday with Sarah, who actually ran further than me, as she ran from home to our meet up point, and had further to run than me to get home.
  • Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

I thought that my schedule would lighten up when the samples were completed. However, new work came in, which is wonderful but exhausting.  I am going to make a spirited attempt to catch on the posts.

WtnMel, Thank you for the information about Coursera. Once I started poking around on the site, I realized that there are a number of courses that I would like to take.  I am very excited by some of the offerings, assuming I ever find the time to take advantage of them. I may have to give up sleeping.

Nice time on your runs!  And, good for you for continuing your early morning times. It sounds like you are a bit of night owl, which makes getting up so early even more impressive.

How nice to hear that your mother is almost ready to be released from the hospital. I hope that the home help care that is put place works out well for her.  

I looked out the window this morning and saw that my asparagus has had a surprising growth spurt. I need to get back on top of my gardening.  Especially as I had a mad moment and purchased a pear tree for our garden, and I'm not sure there is anywhere to put it!

Aquarius, It sounds like you have a really solid running routine developing.  I'm sure it will pay off in some great times when the ParkRuns safely resume.  My fingers are crossed for a safe vaccine in our relatively near future.  

The course on endurance running at FutureLearn sounds really interesting. Thank you for the information. I really need to carve out some time to take advantage of some of the courses. I can completely understand your attraction for the Citizen Science program. It sounds fascinating. However, I can also understand having too much on your plate to take on something else on.  In a way, I suppose that being busy is a luxury problem, but it would be nice to be able to fit everything in.

Your description of the device that Steve is using to monitor his heart sounds very similar to one that Brian was using.  For what it is worth, Brian had a fair amount of faith in that monitor because it was so highly recommended by his heart doctors.  It is definitely unnerving when there are 'off' readings, I feel for you guys. I hate that powerless feeling.

I'm glad that you opted for some extra sleep the other morning.  Trying to balance self care with running, pandemic, worry about AF issues, other interests, and general life activities can be really tough. 

HS, My fingers are crossed that you will have a clear path for your run on Saturday, a strong wind at your back, and super fresh legs :smiley: Maybe brush off those wings?  I can't wait to hear that you've gone sub 27!

The stallions in the forest sound very scary.  I really hate the idea of dogs, or anything else being trampled. Please be careful.  

I am very happy to hear that your pandemic restrictions have eased enough for you to run with Sarah again, even if you have to maintain a distance of 2 meters between you.  I would imagine that it makes your runs feel more enjoyable again.

JohnBateman6, Hello from across the pond. It's very nice to meet you! 

Tomorrow starts week 5 of marathon training.  I ended up running 10 miles, instead of 9, on the treadmill for my long run. Ugh! We have an unfortunate influx of 'summer people' arriving. As the beaches are completely closed, the normal beach congestion has moved to the roads and sidewalks, resulting in a state of chaos.  For the foreseeable future, I am afraid that I am stuck in a treadmill purgatory.  And, because I am not convinced that the miles on the treadmill will translate to the same amount of training outside, I am adding an extra mile onto my treadmill long runs.  At this point, the only thing sustaining the effort is that I have faith that a vaccine will be developed and marathons will be resumed.  If that happens, I will be grateful for the effort I am making now. However, once I can run outside again, I may have a treadmill burning ceremony!
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

Mixed news re my Mum. Before they would discharge her they wanted to do a Covid-19 test and this morning it came back positive :(  However, my Mum has shown no symptoms at all and says she feels fine. So I can only assume she's one of these people who carry the virus but are unaffected (or is it possible to test positive but not have the virus?). :neutral: Anyway, she's been moved to another ward for now and we're waiting to hear from the hospital whether or not she'll be allowed home.

JB - what an ungrateful hedgehog to snub the new home your wife provided :) We've had a hedgehog visiting on and off - but we're assuming ours lives somewhere else nearby.

HS - I'm inclined to stick with the new WAVA tables too .. as you say, as the elite get better, we must try to as well. Glad your run with Sarah went okay apart from dodging other people. Glad my Fmail re changing WAVA tables mught prove useful. 

Molly - I guess although it will keep you busy, getting new work coming in is always good news? Glad you found Coursera useful (yes, I've seen lots of other interesting looking courses too). I'm guessing (hoping!) Coursera will continue to be free after the pandemic. I am a bit of a night-owl .. but I don't help myself by staying up later than I should (ie. when I'm already yawning my head off). Oops re buying a pear tree and now wondering where it's going to go - bit of an impulse buy by the sound of it! 10 miles on a treadmill!? - the mind boggles (5mls was enough for me when mine was still working). Sounds like you have as many covid-iots over there as we seem to have here in the UK :( 

I managed to get out for my #notpub2pub run at 6:15am. I DID sign up for the Fetchpoint game again and having positioned my home point more accurately, I managed to squish the four bugs on my map. Given the fact I was Fetchpoint-ing, my route was more varied than usual (which makes life more interesting!) and I did just over 5mls at 10:47mm pace. However, due to the nature of the game, new bugs spawn daily, so there'll be three more to get rid off by Sunday when I'll probably run again.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

WtnMel, I'm just popping to say how much I hope that your mom continues to be asymptomatic! And, is out of the hospital Covid free very soon. 
    I'll do a real catch up post tomorrow.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all,

WtnMel: thanks for explaining the differences between Skype and Zoom. If this lockdown goes on much longer I will probably suggest a Zoom session to my sister in Torquay, I ring her roughly once a week but neither of us are great at IT so haven’t bothered trying to get to grips with Skype, but possibly Zoom may be better for us. For the present though we’ll probably stick to the phone. 
    That’s really disappointing and worrying news that your mum tested positive for Covid-19, but hopefully the fact that she doesn’t feel unwell means she’ll get off lightly with it. l hope it won't delay her release from hospital. Have you had an update on that yet?
    As regards The Sky at Night I have to agree with you about the female presenter, I find I’m so distracted by her over-enthusiastic manner that I miss what she is saying. 
    Glad to hear you didn’t give up with your Fetchpoint activities. Get those bugs squished!
    JB - any sign of that hedgehog taking up residence yet? Now the housing market is reopening I suppose you could always put the hedgehog house up for sale if he/she doesn’t move in soon. I agree with HS, 6.24 miling is very impressive, I hope your knee doesn’t prevent you achieving your goal of 12.30 for your 3k. 
    HS: We decided not to attempt a trip to the coast as it is busy there at the best of times, and I suspected that as North Tyneside were opening their car parks again it would be inundated with visitors. Instead we went for a walk locally and the following day had a drive out to Hadrian’s Wall. We’d intended parking up and going for a walk but when we got there we found that Northumberland Council had decided to keep their car parks closed to discourage visitors, so we just drove home again. It’s been reported on the local news (also national news I think) that the North East has the highest R number for Covid infection rates. One of the local councils (Gateshead) has advised residents to ignore the government’s Stay Alert advice and told them to keep to the Stay Home message as there are still high rates of new cases and deaths in this area. I tend to agree with Gateshead, it seems far too soon for any change of policy here. I worry about my eldest son who works in retail and will probably be returning to work in a few weeks where he will be in contact with customers, also his 5 year old daughter will be expected to return to school in a couple of weeks. How on earth the poor teachers will cope with that situation heaven knows. 
    How is your right foot? I hope the ache cleared up and you were able to get out today for your 5k.
    Molly: I suppose there will always be this difficult balance of work and running for you to deal with, on the plus side though it’s good that you are getting these commissions, it would be very demoralising and concerning if they stopped coming in. By the way did anything come of the idea that galleries had of holding online viewings?
    I don’t think I’ll be taking on any courses at the moment, life is quite busy enough just now. Steve did consider volunteering to help on a Spiral Galaxies research project, but like me he feels he has enough on his plate at the moment. He managed to speak to the AF specialist nurse at the hospital to find out where he is on the waiting list for a heart monitor. Unfortunately it turns out the hospital have decided to stop fitting any more monitors at the moment due to Covid, but the nurse offered to take a look at the readings Steve has on his monitor (the one we bought). So Steve emailed one of the ECG recordings which had suggested possible AF, and unfortunately the nurse agrees it may indicate that, but also said the recording was not “clean” enough to be sure. He said there was too much interference on it and asked Steve to send through some further recordings and he’ll look at them. He's now done that and is waiting to hear back from the nurse.
    I’m very impressed that you not only did a 9 mile session on the treadmill, but you even added on a further mile! A round of applause is due for that amazing achievement (and maybe a square or two of chocolate?) 

Yesterday I did my intervals again, but Garmin is nothing if not consistent, and just like on Monday's hill repeats it refused to look for satellites until I’d done my warm up and my first interval. I decided to do an extra interval so that I'd have the same number for comparison with last week's results. I needn’t have bothered as I was slightly slower this week. :/ By chance however I noticed that my interval average pace readings didn’t make much sense when I looked at the time taken for each one. For example I had a pace of 8.18 with a time of 1min 40, the next interval was slower at 8.30 but the time taken was quicker at 1 min 39, a further interval took 1 min 38 with a pace of 8.05. Is it just me or do those stats look a bit odd? The distance was exactly the same for each interval (0.20 mile). 
    I managed to fit in an hour of circuit training on Wednesday, and an hour of yoga yesterday. I think I’ll do a bit of Pilates before going to bed, and hopefully I’ll wake up in time to get out early for my long run tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Evening all,

Molly, I spent yesterday afternoon in the front garden trimming the bushes. I don't have an electric strimmer, so do it with shears. Slow but I prefer it to the strimmers that just rip through the foliage and are noisy.

I didn't do the 5k challenge today, as I didn't want to risk my foot, so instead I walked 3.5 miles. I don't walk very much, except to and from the supermarket, so it was quite a nice change. I walked into the village and around the Marina which is now open to the public. I took a couple of photos, which  I will post later. I hope to do the 5k tomorrow, all being well. Thanks for reminding me about the wings, which I think may make all the difference. They are now mark 3, so should be more effective.

The stallions are scary, and we are warned to steer well clear of them. I enjoyed running with Sarah H and we intend running together again on Tuesday.

Well done running 10 miles on the treadmill; as I've said before, I just can't get on with them. Your President seems convinced that they will be able to develop an efficient vaccine by the end of the year, and in the meantime is busy lifting the lock downs, despite the increasing number of victims.

WtnMel, I hope your mum is allowed home asap. Apparently there is a high proportion of the population that have had the infection, without any symptoms. That's why it is so important for the tests to be stepped up.

The club is proceeding with the new WAVA tables, so we know where we stand now.

Well done getting out so early for your 5 miles run at a good pace, especially as you were Fetchpoint-ing.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Morning everyone,

I spoke to my Mum yesterday - she's still fine, if a little bored stuck in a ward at the hospital with just one other person nearby, but she's waiting to hear what the hospital plan to do (she thinks they'll probably re-test her next week before deciding whether or not she can be discharged.

Aquarius - I know we only know each other from on here, but if you wanted to have a 'play' with Zoom sometime to see what it's like I'd be happy to do that with you (send me a PM if you're interested). Glad you agree re Maggie A-P .. it is her 'breathless' style of speaking that puts me off too. I saw that the North-East has a high R number at the moment, whereas London seems to be getting lower - don't blame you continuing to be very wary. Must be frustrating re the hrm and whether or not the AF is due to spurious readings and the delay getting hold of a new one. I can see you're getting very frustrated about your Garmin not picking up satellites properly - I've had a quick check online and found out if you do something called a 'auto-locate' that might help (see below). The step after that is to do some sort of complete reset which means you lose all your stats stored on your device so try auto-locate first and see if that helps. Those interval stats do look a bit odd but remember that gps readings are only usually accurate to within 5 metres, sometimes a bit more. So although your interval times are within 2 seconds, its probably extrapolating the 'distance' it thinks you covered to a mile to give you those spurious pace readings. I've calculated that .2 of a mile in 1m 40s is 8m 19s pace so I'd go with that! Well done re your circuit training and yoga.

HS - my extendable pole-trimmer is like one of those old hedge-trimmers so it leaves a reasonably clean cut but when doing the (much smaller!) hedge in the front garden, I always use the hand-shears. Must be nice to be able to walk new places like the Marina - I've not ventured up on Cleeve Hill lately but I expect that has been busier than it had been since the lockdown was lifted slightly.

Aquarius - as promised, here's the advice I found online about helping the Garmin Forerunner 610 to obtain satellites more quickly ..

To perform the AutoLocate:

Turn device on, or take it out of power save mode
    Touch Setup
    Touch System
    Touch GPS
    Touch Satellites
    Press and hold Lap/Reset button
    Release button once satellite bars disappear

The Forerunner 610 will now be able to acquire accurate satellite data, providing you with a good satellite lock.

I ran this morning at 6:15am and managed 4.5mls @ 10:28mm pace and my Garmin told me I had a new (running outside) record of doing a mile in 10:02 - I know it was 6:15am on a Sunday morning, but even so I was surprised that all I saw was one dog-walker and two pedestrians. I managed to squish all the bugs on my Fetchpoint map - but found another one had appeared when I logged my run. I've asked what time the maps are updated each morning as if you manage to clear all the bugs you get an extra 200 points. 
  • Options
    Hello Folks.
    I hope you are doing fine. I have been working since the 1st May and it has been very busy.
    I have gone back to running 3 times a week now and I am getting used to running with food in my belly as I have been running about 7pm instead of 10am. There are less people about in the evening than in the mornings which is safer for us.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Damien - glad to hear you've been managing to continue running despite being back at work. I'm guessing most people still locked-down have done their daily dose of exercise before 7pm when you are heading out for a run (the road outside our house is definitely busier in the morning's but tails off as the day progresses).

Margaret needed me to trim her hair again this morning - I took about 1" off, including doing the layers and it appears I managed okay - must admit, I was slightly uneasy about doing more than trimming the length at the back.

Feeling a  bit tired after my early start and faster-than-usual run - but I haven't succumbed to a power nap just yet. But I'm about to try and finish off my 5G presentation so that may have a soporific effect - we'll see! :)
  • Options
    Good afternoon all, I've just dropped in to post the couple of photos I took yesterday during my walk round the Marina. I'll reply to your posts later this afternoon.