Options

Comrades 2021

Comments

• Options
    Great news for you Dannirr - heres hoping the shots get rolled out quickly and life can get a bit of normality back to it. Waiting for my mum to get the call :)
  • Options
    Great Danirr, which vaccine did you get? I was supposed to get the Sinopharm one but have been told to hold off as it may suspend my aviation medical.

Great running weather here, always love the winter, lows of 20 and highs of 28,still no rain since March. This week the mosques were praying for rain. 
  • Options
    Even with the vaccine rollout I can't see Comrades being a mass participation event. 2022 anyone? 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Definitely 2022 🙂
  • Options
    I got the Pfizer one.   Feel fine.   FAA approved it, so my aviation medical is fine.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    So you will have the second phase in 3 weeks or so? Good to hear you are still standing 🙂 After our original banter on this I discovered the Cambridge version is based on much the same tech so with no real differentiator between them I just want to have one applied asap.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    New covid regs here in the UK have driven me to book 3 rooms for 2 nights in a hotel Christmas Eve and Christmas Day local to my aged mother in law so that we can still bring Christmas to her and conform to the rules which mean we can't camp on her lounge floor as we originally planned. We can now only visit her on Christmas Day itself, prior to this change we were allowed 5 days over the festive period.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    SS and Debra, probably others too, are you worse off than me locked in tier 4? I am in tier 2 taking a 2 hour drive to another tier 2 household on Christmas Eve.
  • Options
    Re comrades I am assuming it will either move or be cancelled.  IMSA originally scheduled for March has been moved to October and although they said that IM Durban (the week before Comrades) is still the same date they did add a caveat that this could change.

Tier 4 for me, so full lockdown.  For us it means my daughter and her fiancee cant come over Christmas day, which is ironic for they are both teachers and literally just recovering from C-19.  Surely the risk is very low!!??
  • Options
    Tier 4 for me too. So Christmas cancelled here. Will just be us and my mum. I wouldn't mind but all those who want to flout the rules still will do and all the big stores manage to find something essential in their stock and stay open whilst the smaller stores close. Could have given us a bit more notice. Grrr  :#

Rant over....for now
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    We had a very serious ethical debate about just carrying on and flouting the rules. Even to the point of defining, and this is simply supposition so do not rely on it, that... In their current state the new rules are "just" guidelines (go to gov.uk and the very first word on the document is "guidelines"). In the next paragraph or so it is declared that they will become law but no date is given for when that will be achieved. Parliament is currently in recess therefore unless it is recalled to vote, which, if it happened, you would expect the vote to very likely be successful, these guidelinesdelines are not yet enforceable, and, can not be backwardly enforceable until that point.

However, our "easy" decision in the end took away all that supposition. MiL is a lovely innocent honest person and should not be involved in any shenanigans us younger folk might invent to meet our desires therefore we will stick to "the guidelines".

I agree and suspect that many will just carry on as they originally planned.
  • Options
    Tier 4. And SVN 'Usual Suspects' supposed to be today, cancelled yesterday evening. Also Saxon Shore marathon on 28th, which was going to be their 10th Anniversary celebration. Have to say I was gutted when the news came through; I'd really been looking forward to Usual Suspects, even with it being held at the Gravesend venue (my least-favourite). I know it was inevitable and the right decision, but still frustrating, particularly at such short notice.
    We were planning a very quiet Christmas anyway, so that isn't a problem.
    Snail: I agree about the shops. It's the small stores who suffer the most.

• Options
    Danirr, thats good. I'm hoping for confirmation soon. GCAA say fine but AME say they have had no guidance and my suspend my medical.

Glad I'm not in the UK as it doesn't look good, working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day,Boxing day and up to 29th so will be a very quiet one in our household. 
  • Options
    No it's rubbish here at the moment. And they knew about this new strain back in September. Why tell us we can have Christmas and then pull the plug just 6 days before?

When I talk of flouting the rules I'm talking of those that will get together in big parties/not wear masks/have raves/have a small birthday party for 30   :/

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ah, Trump & Co.
  • Options
    And a great many others :)
  • Options
    Happy Easter, hmm I mean Happy Christmas! Personally I didn’t agree with the morals behind the 5 days of Christmas, complete none sense, quite rightly Witty never agreed with it neither. It was forecasted few weeks back 4 days of lockdown for every day of the 5 to compensate for the rise in deaths during that period!l.....and that was with trusting the people of this nation to have some common sense, sadly most lack that skill and then Brits these days are not great at obliging to rules, guidelines, or laws, we have less respect for these things than most countries sadly. 
    Along comes strand variation and Boris is knocked sideways, Valance, Witty, and the Scottish Lady have the last day these days. 
    Meanwhile Boris is off to Barney to see his good mate! 😂 

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Boris "Barney" Rubble Johnson
  • Options
    😂 
    got one for Lee Caine and Dom Cummings too no doubt knowing you Lowrez 😆 
  • Options
    Snail: I agree. Annoyed at the idiots whose refusal to behave sensibly means everyone else has to suffer. I'm not blaming people who go out to work even knowing they are positive because it's that or no food for their kids and eviction for failure to pay rent - I blame the politicians for those, for not making it financially possible for people to isolate properly.
    Usual Suspects completed as a virtual event locally, with two loops and an out-and-back. My legs are tired and looking forward to their promised break. Another 30 miles will take me over 3,200 miles for the year, so I might get that done during this week then rest until the middle of January.
    Stay safe, everyone!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ha ha - tough asks to do real justice with when... mmm should I let the cat out of the bag... I do need some help I think so...
    I am currently on marathon 6 of the 777 write-up and shocked to have generated 22,000 words so far. I have also been adding in pictures, and, in its current unpaginated form, I'm on page 95! Suspect that could cascade to less if I went along and re-sized everything.
    I am entirely happy with with this state of affairs as at this first pass it's purely a personal record. However...
    How the hell am I gong to share this? I understand the maximum facebook post is 8000 characters, that's characters not words. Also in its raw form a lot of those photos are copyrighted so I don't really have the right to publish them.
    I suppose I could commit to a blog, but that being a public entity would have to rationalise it somewhat. Possibly for simplicity just publish the word stack I have created, although I would need to de-personalise it a bit further so I was not referring directly to any living individuals I believe. I have achieved that mostly so far by creating pen names for the players, but even so some of those are a bit obvious so I think I will need to further obscure them with some more creative thought.
    Anyways I am confident that I will have completed a first working draft by Christmas and then I will be onto the full blown struggle of how to share it.
    Anybody out there faced off against this conundrum successfully before?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Nice miles Debra, you deserve a rest - monumental year given the lock down :-)
  • Options
    Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    lowrez: definitely time to blog. You could ask for permission to put the pics on your blog? (With appropriate copyright/photographer acknowledgements).
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks Debra, yes, that would take care of a big slice of the photos from a single source, I'd have to trapse around a bit to cover a host of other snippets I have taken. Will see how it gets once I am finished with the main effort of the writing.
    So I need to research how to blog too!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I've heard of a printing press, and a trouser press, but a word press, I shall look it up.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ahh... so you chose the "runningape" and "wordpress" "host" it for you - can you take runningape with you if you jump ship from them, say to, "lettersquash" or any other such hoster or are you tied in perpetuity to the "pressers". I assume the words you write down, that the worders press for you, remain your own property? Or are you giving your soul to them for the privilege of having your prose up in lights? Do you mind me asking if it costs you any dosh? 
  • Options
    I have the free version. Various tiers of paid-for versions are available and once or twice a year they offer that more cheaply. Here's an example of a paid-for, with the domain name not including 'wordpress': https://whatever.scalzi.com/ (Scalzi needs the paid-for; he gets a LOT of traffic - thousands of people read his blog, maybe tens of thousands, and his comment threads get quite long). I don't know if/how one would 'jump ship' - probably need to rebuild. You keep ownership of your stuff - they just host it. Obviously they hope you'll decide to upgrade to paid-for.

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hmm, that all seems very inconsistent in Scalzi's stream of consciousness? Is he just documenting his life and exploiting his daughter? He posts links to YouTube without credit, pushes books and computer games mostly without credit, I mean declarations under the pictures he posts pointing to the author of that content, or is he so famous that those authors are begging and paying him to push the content and he therefore has permission already?

It's a confusing old canvass.

He slopes back to Word 2013 and a personal account that'll probably never see the light of day, but at least he wrote it down for himself lest he forgets it with the creep of old age.