Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Funny thread this. Like a boiling kettle...watch it and nothing happens - take your eye off it and there's 20 replies ;)

Thought i'd do the old 30 x 200 Tuesday...Just the normal commute yesterday.

Few days off after Fri-yay ;)
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

PMJ – crazy about the Chinese ultra. I saw a local shepherd had taken six runners into his emergency cave, almost certainly saving their lives.

More incredible epicness from Jools. Had to reread certain bit to check I was comprehending the magnitude correctly!

Up early for the drive to Peterborough. Left home just after five for a really smooth journey. Stopped at Rugby services for the toilet and a chance to loosen off. Got a couple of funny looks doing various drills in the car park. And for the parents amongst you – there was a brilliant outdoor playground and multi-level indoor soft play.

Stopped to collect my friend and was met with a mixture of nerves and excitement on his behalf.

The pre-race set up was really smooth. Numbers had been sent in the post, loads of space in the enormous grassy parkland, short toilet queues. We were called to the first gantry and then held in group of 25. The start was essentially a single file walk/run over the line. So quite a good way to be with people of the right pace yet distance everyone appropriately.

Ben said he was pushing for sub 3:20 with anything under 3:25 a great result. I think his current PB was 4h something. To be honest, it was 20 miles of trying to hold him back then a few miles of making him dig in.

The course was scenic – certainly more so than I had been led to believe for the city. Lots of river-, canal-side and bike paths. It was great to run within myself, and I was having to consciously slow us both down as we tended towards 7:20 miling.

1:37:11 first half, chatting away and enjoying each other’s company for the first time in a while, before a tough second half. There was significantly more headwind on the return and several section of rooty paths or very slippery mud. Not ideal on tired marathon legs. We split the second half in 1:40, which I think is pretty good for an even effort given the conditions.

I had forewarned him, but it was interesting to see how quickly his effort went from very controlled, to suddenly hanging on – at about the 21-22M mark. I was politely asked to stop talking at this point! You could tell it was a well-paced effort though as we were rapidly overtaking many runners.

Overtook one poor chap who was doing a ‘full-Foster’ in the closing metres. Had to be met by paramedics with 7 or 8m to go. Hope he is ok.

Ben’s family were there to cheer us on – a pretty epic day for him and a very fun one for me. 3:17:11 on the clock so an absolute result for him. A very well organised event (Sublime Racing) and the goodie bag was good – locally made peanut butter by the jar (x2) - yum.

Tired this week, but obviously nothing like after an all-out effort. Although did have my second vaccine on Monday. Only recovery running so far: 4, 4, 6, 7, re-joining the 5am club last couple of days.

If for some weird reason, a heart condition or something, you told me I could never full on race a marathon again, but I could do this sort of hardish effort, I would take it. A lot to be said about running the whole thing with a smile on my face and helping a mate out.

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Just seen this 😆. Fortunately a few minutes/photos later he can be seen walking across the line aided by a helper. 
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    oh no!! Great report. Such a shame about that guy though.

All been there. Portland 10 in 2002 was mine. Lesson learned...NEVER drink before a summer race...even just 4 pints! (And after that, nothing more than 10k..)

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Decent night down the track last night perfect. Bit warm, but no wind and a good group of 7 of us.

Session was 4 x 800, 4x 600, 2x 400 - 80 secs between reps and 2 mins between sets. 800's were roughly 2.26's, 600's 1.47's and 400's about 67's.

Nothing today, have a good weekend all!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Mad paces as always Simon.

Nice experience there SQ. Always worth everyone stepping back at times and remembering the actual beauty of running and being active. We all take it for granted, and we've all missed races etc.

To that end, I had another little turnout last night  ;)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Another trip to Battersea Park then, for the 4th turnout of 2021.

All four have been from Runthrough, who almost feel like they've singled handedly kept people in the south in races.
    There are a few other companies, but this lot seem to have a better mix of interesting and good formats and venues.

This one was branded as "Chase the Sun", being a 7.30pm evening job.
    Had Friday booked off, so it looked a decent time to try it, with a 4 day bank holiday straight after.

Therefore, a different challenge to the Saturday morning one a couple of weeks before, both in timings, and in format.

Both had 10ks as well as the 5k, but the Saturday morning race staggered the different distances out so widely, you couldn't possibly see anyone from the 10k.

For this version, the 10k went off 30mins before, and had only one start wave, so would be staggering people off for 10mins or so.
    Therefore, with 4 laps for them, and 2 laps for the 5k, it was inevitable there would be some cross over. How much I didn't know, but as it's a lively park anyway, always plenty of people about.

I hadn't done an evening race for 2 years, so I wasn't sure how a day of work, then the drive would pan out, but I had plenty of time, leaving at 5.30....on paper anyway ;)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Felt that warm stressy glow from the morning onwards, and to be honest a mad day at work didn't help at all. Fixing one issue on the phone between 4.45- 5pm I was slightly worried when the same chap mailed me at 5.01 about "do you have time to go through xxx". :open_mouth:  

Luckily, he'd meant to mail someone else...Phew..relax. Gear together, logged off, on the road at 5.30. Should take 1hour, shouldn't be "usual" rush hour stuff, 7.30pm race.

Fairly smooth going until one bit in and around the M4 that gave the false impression there was a MASSIVE tail back. But luckily it was just around one off shoot road causing the tail back, and soon passed it. Phew.
    Missing a race and having to reveal that is always fear number 1 of race hoons :D 
    Doesn't help when you've put £24 into a mere 5k too :)

It does feel quite warm in the car, even with the air conditioning on full blast, but I remember the mantra "it is just 5k".

Plain sailing into London, and the last few miles are always hard work. It just gets so hectic, people cross the road aggressively, people just drive differently in the big smoke.
    However, it's around 6.30 and I'm 2miles away. Lovely.

Not so lovely, is that it took about 15mins to get those last 2 miles, and inevitable "I could run this quicker" sentimonies. 

At this point I'm regretting having not got my act together signing up earlier, and getting the pack sent to me. I'd held off like a right tight wad as I thought they might be sending a discount code :D 

Easy park job, free after 5pm, and clutching mask, phone and my number scribbled down, I jog the half mile or so to the band stand to get my number.
    I know Dachs is doing the 10k, but despite seeing a few people who look like him, I'm not expecting a meet up, as he's big time and will be doing proper strides and stuff this close to their 7pm off and will probably have made a swift exit when he's finished.

Into the queue for the 5k number behind 1 woman, who is making hard work of saying her name and getting her number.
    Some geezer bundles in from the 10k queue, ignoring me waiting there, but he's foreign and might not have great English so I allow it.
    Both of these people are taking ages, but I finally get in, get my pack within 20secs and then back to the car to get sorted.

Past 7pm now all of a sudden and mile warm up, some strides, a worryingly late "unleash" about 3mins before the start and it's line up time.

It all feels pretty darn dreadful - really clammy, sweaty fare even at a slow jog pace. The step up in conditions from the last Battersea Park race is striking.

The line is snaking a decent distance back, but I remembered SQ and JB saying it's fine to bundle in where I thought i'd be positioned, so did just that. I am prepared to say "it's my first day", if anyone queries it.
    Bit of chat with a fast looking bloke. He's after sub 17, so I wave him forward.

Into the grid and always that dread of the impending effort.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Off we go, and this pic 5metres in shows it's gonna be hard work tonight :D 

Knowing from last time out, that the 10k and 5k have different start points, and that the 1k markers relate to the 10k only, I'd set 1k splits into my watch for the first time in many a year.

Sure enough I got up to the "1k" at about 2.50, but this time, without the error of taking it as a split.
    The actual 1k watch split seemed to take forever, and came out at 3.32.

Now, in usual races, I'm used to the first km coming out fast compared to the rest, so had to reminds myself that in these distances races that's not always the case, as you keep it a bit more considered.

I'm ahead of the chaps in my "4", and going past plenty of 10k runners. This is definitely a lot different to the Saturday version.

Battersea Park is a pretty quick course, and there's just 2 bits that can throw you.
    The right bend about 100metres into this Runthrough course (not on the Sri Chiminoy one), and the bit at the end of the band stand straight where you have to take a sharp left, usually wide to not clatter yourself on wooden poles :D 

2km comes up at 3.33, so consistent, but not necessarily in line for my hoped for 1730, having been 1732 last time out.
    I did know that the course would likely come out slightly short on my watch, so just vowed to press on and see what happens.

3rd km comes up 3.42 which was a bolt from the blue.
    Now i'm resorting to Plan B of "see it in for a 17xx", which is always my "satisfied" plan, if not ideal.

3.36 for the 4th km and at least we're on the run in.
    I've had 2 or 3 10k geezers storm past me by now, but have gone past about 100 10k runners.

That's the difficulty with these distanced ones I think. You're never quite racing like for like pace with anyone, and it's very hard to force that little extra gear change in the circumstances.

Humbled by seeing quite a few guides running with blind or visually impaired runners. That's so selfless it's unbelievable. You'd have to be pretty disciplined to run just right for them too. Amazing.

I speed up a little to avoid some maniac geezer with some sort of selfie stick out, screaming out street phrases like "we're not playing" and "this is how we do", and some even more nonsensical stuff like "got to beat Petra".

On the run in though, and you know once you're at the Ice Cream van, there's a straight to go.

Past the 5km marker, and the last 100metres or so round a bend

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Over the line very similarly to 2 of the 3 in my wave, for a 17:43

That will do tonight I think.
    Didn't match the 17:32 of last time out, and is a new "PW" at Battersea Park, but it's all on circumstance.
    I only used to go to BP when in good form, and for proper races, so in distances races in form that needs a sharpening, it's no surprise really.

Felt a little clammy and even slightly dehydrated on the start line dare I say? 
    So sometimes you're pleased to get a little turnout in, and tick over. That was last night.

Lovely lie down after, as however much you haven't necessarily hit top gear, you always end hard, so that was welcome.
    After 2mins of lying down relaxing, a marshal just did check I was ok :D:smile:

Told he not to worry, as I had had a proper collapse before ;) She said she sees many of those.
    Told her about the nutter too, and when he came later, nodded, and she gave a "I can tell" sort of look.

One day I will learn not to lie in crud wearing a white vest :)

To maximise the trip, I thought i'd have a proper tour of the park after, as usually the warm up and cool down only touch half the park.
    Discovered it's way bigger than I thought, passing a Kid's zoo, track, tennis court, and almost a little traily sort of woody bit round the back.

All in all, 7.5miles for the evening.

Am aiming to join my club for a session on Tuesday, for possibly the first time in 18months.

And heard that they want us to get back to 50% working in the office July onwards, so might be my route into joining a few more sessions.

Just to give it a bit more impetus, as I strive to get these higher 17s down to lower.

Looks like 1730 or so is my peak at the moment, and any deviation takes it into the 1740s or even slightly into the 1750s, so just need a gear shift.

Hopefully "proper" racing being back will help.
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Sounded tough SG - Was a bit clammy last night wasn't it. Some fast races on there tonight, think the mens standard is sub 16.30!

I'll be at the track there Monday 21/6 for the vets..was supposed to be free for all day! Doubt that will happen now!.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    We've certainly arrived in summer now haven't we.

Drove to Hurley to have a run to Henley and back.
    Got about 2miles before a posse of sheep came storming down the path. Not a particularly threatening animal, but I thought it best to wait out the way, rather than stubbornly trying to run through them or be knocked into the swim :)

Fairly warm, but not particularly sticky, so fairly comfortable. Barely any wind, like last time I'd done this sort of route.  13miles, for 7.12, to end a 62mile week.

Only other unusual feature was some guy on a bike going absolute appenhaller at some big boat that he judged to be going too fast. Felt odd as I coasted past at long run pace, but as some humourless guy on my fb pointed out the limit is about 5miles per hour apparently, so my comparison was "irrelevant" :D 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    We seem to have a slight lull on here at the mo, so let's crack on with some SG jibber jabber.

10miler out on the Marlow winter hill route. But instead of the same old route, with just the choice of which direction, I threw in a turn at Cookham car park, and up the road version of Winter Hill.

Think I've only done this version once, a good decade ago, when I took a wrong turn on the Marlow Striders' "Predictor" run.
    Fairly gradual climb in fairness, and led me back to the bit I'd done on the way out.

7.20 all in, 10miler, pretty warm at 11-12ish as you'd expect.

Will do my first club sesh for a good 18months tomorrow, for a pair relays in Windsor.
    Apparently the grid is about 500metres, and you rampage it one on, one off for 20mins, have a 4 min lie down, then another 20mins.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Evening all. Not posted for a while as I've not really felt much like a runner or inflicting you all to my whingeing!!!

I've been reading though and the usual range of mad exploits and massivo race reports from SG  B)

Feeling slightly more positive tonight with my longest (and definitely hottest!) run for 10 weeks - 7.6M, and best of all, with hills!  I did a similar and slightly shorter run on Sunday, and although uncomfortable toward the end, both have been OK hamstring wise. Bit weird, because last Thursday it felt like I was back to square one, but as Mr Spraggins pointed out on Strava, with a wiseness beyond his years, born out by his own experience, it seems to not be a linear progression with hamstrings! 

Let's see what sitting at a desk all day tomorrow brings, but either way, not planning to run until Thursday so bike tomorrow evening.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Good to hear from you (or anyone - where is everyone) Bus.
    Slowly does it, and you'll be back nicely in time for when the proper races are all fully back. Genius timing.

Went to a club sesh for the first time in a good 18months last night.

On the long walk, something around 500metres or so per rep, up a grassy slope, turn, then back down.  
    In pairs, one of you does a rep, then rests while the other one does theirs and so on for 20mins.

2 sets of 20mins with a 4min rest in the middle.

Went off like an absolute loon on the first one and came back first by a fair distance, but that quickly caught up as the reps went on, as 20mins is quite a long time.

We were basically second pair all in. One of our super vets teamed up with a newcomer young woman who will be decent on the local scene for sure - definitely sub 18 5k material and a decade ago as a teen was sub 17 on the track - were first back. 
    Probably mostly on the vet's pace, as myself and pal are just a bit faster than her at the moment, but certainly no complacency at keeping it that way going forward!

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
     Good to hear from you Bus and a great session there SG it’s good to mix it up now and again and also good to be on the grass. Can’t quite remember what I’ve been doing recently as my parents visited for the weekend. I ran over to Luton via the Dunstable bus way on Sunday that was just under 12 miles, then Monday I ran to Tring down the canal, The first 5 km with the kid.

Tonight is the first eastern masters meeting, I am lined up for the 800m, should be a laugh aiming for 2.08 or something like that. 
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers chaps.

Interesting sesh SG. Must be weird being with other people!

Good luck tonight Simon DBS!!!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It did bring into play strange changes in mode from, wanting to smash people and be first home, to later, hoping your mate didn't come in too closely to the next team, meaning you had a faceoff.

To later, not being at all worried to be 20 metres or so behind the other team.

It was like a long slog of a race , entering "don't care who beats me, just want finished" mode :D 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you're making progress Bus.
    Tidy race report as usual SG, shame you didn't manage to keep the improvement record going but the sudden change in temperature has been harsh. Good grass session too but I'm sure it's not meant to be that competitive ;)
    Looks like the training paid off last from what I saw on Strava last night Simon.
    Been down in Devon for a few days. Ran every day of course but the only one of note was the 22M of SWCP from Minehead to Lynmouth on Sunday.
    GF dropped me off & counted me down so I set off like a loon after a trio of joggers who'd just gone past :D
    No description available
    She then met me about half way at Porlock Weir for Ice Cream & drinks & picked me up in Lynmouth a couple of hours later where I met this friendly chap.No description available
    Was a warm day but fortunately not too roasting during the run as it hazed over.
    Off to the Brecons later for another hill bashing session.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics Jools.  The top one should get the ladies pouring back to the thread  :D

Love how it takes a 22mile to even quote it as significant for you.

Could feel the legs a bit after Tuesday for sure. I don't tend to get much like that in my own sessions, but I suppose it's the mix of the heat sapping muscles, really booting a few reps, and them being offroad. Throw in a poor night's sleep that evening too!

Back off to the club tonight. First Thursday run I'll have ever done with them. I never really bothered with the non efforts sesh at my old club when I went there either.

However, it feels like a good time to slot it in, re-enforce my first time there for 18months on Tuesday.
    Probably won't do that many Thursdays, as it interferes with the Friday sesh, but will see what the flavour is. I dare say it'll be a steady sort of effort, at least near the end. Will do as a second "session" this week, either way.

Come July when it's 50% back in the office, I'd clearly try and arrange in days to match intended nights I'll hit the club runs. Then I'm over that way anyway, rather than having to make a 40min trip both ways especially!
    But for this week, it feels a good use of some warm evenings for some people and mixing it up a bit.
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Nice Stuff Jools. Our good young lad from LBAC was 2nd in the Lizard to Land's end race on saturday. Nearly killed him by the looks!

Yes - happy with last night. Was racing against my mate Rob (better than me and a new V40) again. So we basically just went off hardish from the gun, 64 at the bell...thought it felt a little harder so put it in a bit on the 2nd lap, Rob came past with 200 to go and went away. Managed to stay quite strong for a 2.06.8 for the watch, but will be 2.07 officially.

Luton tonight and watching the Blisworth 5 Friday night. Nothing over the weekend as I have a 800/3000 double on Monday in the Southern Vets. Getting in a race flow now!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Nice progression Bus and it looks like Joe is also almost back in full swing.

Elsewhere everything seems to be as expected with SG, SC & Jools all doing what they do.

Nice turn outs from Pete and SQ too, nothing beats doing a race at a more casual pace to feel like a hero  :)

I haven't posted as I am on holiday at the moment in a motorhome. Done Cotswolds, Peaks and now in the Lakes, having a great time. Tough race to do on Saturday, just a casual afternoon's work for Jools but I feel completely unprepared for it. Should be fun trying though.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Reg have you seen any signs about? Is Waterhead car park obviously turning into race HQ? Mark appears to have been especially quiet this year with no race packs emailed out or social media announcements.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds a nice tour Reg. And brought back to reality with a race :)

Simon, saw that Blisworth one, and also a midweek 5miler soon somewhere Banbury/lower midlands (if that's even a phrase) type area.
    Quickly told myself there's no need to try and shoehorn silly stuff in, especially not until it's at least all in racing again.

I'll probably get down to Gosport in a couple of weeks for their Golden mile & 5k combo.
    Bit of a shame it comes just before the potential 21st June all in stage, meaning it'll be staggered, but I suppose it still works. And still the beauty of racking up 2 races in one go.

I hope it at least will be the 1mile over one hour, then the 5k over the next hour, rather than what they did in December which seemed to be massively drawn out, and you could have hours in between. That loses half of the attraction.

Thursday with the club last night. 8miler in a small gang up the Long walk, on some offroad bits, including weird sandy stretches down, and then the down version of the long walk back.
    7.00 pace for the 8miler, which ramped from 730 sort of start to 6.30/40s near the end.

Not really a tempo, so probably one to label "steady".
    Not sure this sort of run would work for me that often, but good to try once.

Made today's morning run just a 4 as late night and early morn run isn't a great combo ever.

Will do another 4 or so later, might chuck some strides or 1min on and offs to up the quality for the week.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I think "race" might be somewhat underselling the epic challenge you have tomorrow Reg! 
    Hoping to get to the Lakes myself in a couple of weeks time, though it will definitely be a much more leisurely affair!

7M last night and all OK (hamstring wise - everything else was hurting!!!). Still a bit sore sitting and I'll be trying another run this evening, which will be a bit of a tester.

One question for peeps views on though. I'm not looking to race anytime soon, but want some hill fitness for the Lakes (tall order in just over 2 weeks I know!) so would you go for increasing length and hilliness, but taking rest days between, or try mixing in shorter, flatter stuff at a higher quantity? My gut is telling me the former...

• Options
    Glad to hear things are on the upward curve Bus. I'd just gradually increase to a point just *before* discomfort kicks in. You don't want to knock yourself back - if it's really sore after a run/the day after, then probably best to take a day off.

If it's obvious that certain things really aggravate it (hills/speed work/concrete), then best to avoid or phase in slowly.

Nice racing Simon/SG, enjoying reading along.

Good luck for the weekend Reg!

Not much to report from me. Managed 21:30 for quite a lumpy ten mile cycling TT, which is an average of just over 28mph which I was quite pleased with. Would like to attack sub 20 on a flatter course.

Running gradually building up. Still no speed work but feel like I might not be too far off..
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Impressive Biking Joe. That does sound quick on a lumpy course.

SG - Yes might enter one of the others in the East Midlands GP. Its South Midlands rather than 'Lower' Midlands - only used in weather reports and the only other official use is the 'South Midlands Hit squad' - Oxford United's hoolie gang ;) I'll probably tempo the course today before the race.

Jools/Reg - Like the sound of how the details of the fell race are exposed...sounds like finding details to a rave!

Bus - Careful on the hammy!

Last night was a 200m session 5 sets of four, 30 secs between reps and 2 mins between sets. Kept the reps to about 33's. Leg is moaning today...quite a few bends in the last 2 days..
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good to see the niggles bench is getting emptier - let's keep it that way chaps :)

Simon, our lot are having a 1mile time trial next Thursday.
    Not sure if I fancy it or not yet. On grass and probably a 2 lapper which the chairman says he'll try and find the "flattest" grass section! Doesn't scream lightening to me.
    And that's before you ask is it worth me driving 1hr 20 round trip to monster a mile :D 

Just as I'm considering a 4hour round trip for a total of 4miles :D 

As yesterday's run was steady at best, I threw 6x1min hard off 1min on my lunchtime run. With the logic of 2 light qualities making one proper quality? Tuesday was actual quality on top of that in fairness, so all good.
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
     i’m sure it will all work out in the end SG. Yes going all the way for a time trial on grass is a little bit excessive. I know you you are going along way for the 4 mile race but at least it’s a proper race!

On a gear note I see that the adios 6 will have no boost in it at all, so that looks like the end of the line for boost 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    What are they replacing Boost with Simon?
    I'd agree with you normally Bus but going too long too soon will likely do more damage. You need to reach the point where it's fatigued but no further. You're used to running most days so if it's recovering OK I'd stick with daily 60-90 minute runs at an easy pace - pretty much your usual fare isn't it?