Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good one on the 12m wardi, when i ran on Chester racecourse i was surprised there was no tarmac path.

CC - i copped the rain yday

Good sess there TT

10 and 4 double today. Cold and frosty for the 10m, got a surprise roll on and the last 5m were av mp+10%, rarely happens by surprise. Minimal 4m return home, in order to be able to run in tomorrow.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing whichever strain I've got of Covid is pretty nifty at evading vaccines, as I caught it 10.5 weeks after my booster (i.e. third shot - supposed to enhance protection for 10 weeks).  Very sneezy today.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Got offered a free entry to Manchester yesterday, signed up this morning 😆
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Jooligan, can't turn down a free place!  Was that for good behaviour? ☺

Hopefully you'll be over the worst of it soon Jools.  I am hearing of more cases around through my own contacts this week.

Nice double yesterday TR, the close to MP section sounds encouraging.

A pleasant sunny morning so T-shirt, shorts & sunglasses required.  An easy 5m done, similar weather for the Parkrun tomorrow.  First non windy day for weeks so might as well have a decent burn out.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Probably the new variant jools, loads of cases round here. Amazing that folks i know avoided it when it was in their house only weeks ago yet catch it now.

Wardi - was still chilly when i was out this morning.

Just the 5m easy today, 20 inc 13.1mp tomorrow, looks like the wind is going to ruin it as per recent weeks.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    4m, 13.1m, 3m. Few rolling miles, few flatter miles and back again, nearly sacked it after 4, 5 and 6m as i was a long way behind the 6.40s barometer, but talked myself into continuing as i might drag it back a bit on the flatter return miles with a kinder wind. So 13.1m av 6.50 (did av 6.37 3 wks before vlm, and 6.42 2 wks before last Aprils sub3 at Goodwood).......however id expect to av 144 ish HR for this and today was 137, so probably went too easy as i knew it was a slow time, add in the strong wind and having a cold and i get a bit more back.......best thing is i never sacked it. Sub3 might be a bit tight, we'll see. A long run on a still day sometime is goingto be so enjoyable.........Brighton gets sacked off if the wind turns up. Im done with grinding into the wind lately.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Well toughed out TR, always a right ball ache in a strond wind.  With a blessing from the weather gods on marathon day I'd say you should be ok for Sub 3.  Wind is my least favourite forecast too!

Kind conditions at Parkrun this morning, 10 mph winds and a blue sky.  A bit below par this morning, maybe a bit of leg tiredness - 5 secs slower than last week in 21:54 so not a disaster.  Chased around by my 76 yr old clubmate who clocked 22:38.  Family do this afternoon so only had time for a short add on for 5.5m. 

• Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    TT - metronomic as you say for that track 10k. Super pacing. 

Joe - hope the injection works and you're able to get back going as I have once the other important life events allow. 

CC2 - I get a buzz from dodging a downpour too hehe. 

OO - nice to get that last long one ticked off. I feel decidedly under cooked having only run two official long runs. I have to remind myself I have several years banked which is why I've been able to get back to those distances so quickly. Oh and not to get greedy on race day. 

Joolska - hope the symptoms are manageable. Mini SJ seems fine now and has tested negative last 2 days. Myself and Mrs SJ seem to have avoided it somehow. 

Jooligan - see you two weeks today then. Lovely stuff. A bit of a thread day out. Be great to catch up with you and others.

TR - well done on carrying on through gritted teeth. Running those tempo sessions on your own is tough at the best of times. When conditions are shit it's easy to figure on wtfp so pat on the back for sticking with it. As Wardi says, race day, tapered is worth a bit of time as you know better than me. 

Wardi - shame the legs wouldn't cooperate at parkrun on a decent day, typical. Your old club mate rowing against the sands of time very well. An inspiration to us all. Shame about your physio and others losing their jobs due to the racism fallout at Yorkshire. Hopefully something gets sorted for them.. and you.

Took friday off as my legs were feeling it. Decided to to a little session yesterday so ran 1k on 1k off for 5 efforts in total. Possibly paid for that a little this morning as was running on tired legs for 35k in 2.48. Quicker than last week and pace was good in later stages so a bit more confidence added. A good taper and I might go a few minutes under 3.30. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you hsd a better day there wardi. Solid parkrun.

Nice one SJ, you've come a long way recently. What do you need for a gfa?

Im not going to get too excited in either direction after a tough run on a windy day. Im in with a strong sub3 shout, i just need the weather gods to be kind as there's a lot of miles up and down the seafront.
    I did all the Eastleigh 10k and Fleet 1/2 runners a favour today and stayed away, did a turbo session instead.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    You’re clearly in decent nick SJ. Believe it & taper accordingly. That’s a tough weekend’s running given your recent low mileage.
    Fastest parkrun in 3 years (19:16) + a decent performance on a hilly XC course yesterday & 1st MV50 on a lumpy trail Half today (1:30:35) Definitely fatigued after yesterday’s double & a poor night’s sleep. Happy with the run in the circumstances - marginally quicker than I managed last time out (2019).
    Easy street for the week ahead to recover.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    A fine set of results over the weekend Jooligan, nicely done.  I do sympathise with the sleep deprivation, I was woken by my burglar alarm at 03.20 on Saturday morning. 😟  Enjoy the recovery.

SJ.. great session & long run, shows great progress since your long lay off.

TR..  yes reasonable wind speeds up here Sat/Sun 10-12 mph.  Hope the turbo session went well.

Had to cut my intended 12m run short to 9m today.  Shame as it was a nice day out there.  I felt like I was running at altitude, quite breathless at times so took a shorter route home.  It feels like low iron levels which I did have a few years ago.  I'll see how I feel tomorrow.
    58m for the week 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Thx Wardi. That would explain your slightly sub-par parkrun yesterday too. Hope you can sort it ASAP.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    TR - just had a look at website and as I'm still just a V45 its 3:10. However, the TCS London 2023 quali period doesn't kick in until Oct 4th which I assume is this years' London. It will have to be an autumn target. I hadn't realised the lead sponsor had changed. No more vlm acronym. 

Jooligan - a fine set of bling this weekend and a busy schedule no less. I need to race more. I have been saying that for years though.

Wardi - sorry to read you felt under par. Hopefully you're correct in your self diagnosis and can remedy with some increased iron supplements? 

Aching this morning. I did spend 3 hours cleaning the driveway and moving lots of big plant pots around post long run yesterday. Ergo rest day today. 

Oh and on the shoe front, opted for a new pair of Ride's. I baulked at the cost of the super shoes so I'll be carbon neutral in Manchester. Taking the tram from home to further offset my footprint 🤓

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    TT - Can see why your target is more stretchable.  Your Wokingham run must give confidence.
    TR - The key takeaway is that's another long run ticked off.  
    SJ -  Excellent progress with a real solid long run.   I think you will too, but the real triumph will be lining up and crossing that finishing line after all that has happened. 
    Wardi - Take it easy.
    Jooligan - Congratulations on the AG win and the really good half marathon on on a bumpy course.  Amazed how you can RED after a HM.
    4 runs over the weekend the best being a 8m @ 6.20 yesterday having to DNS for my half marathon as my son was playing rugby (thrilling 40-35 victory so well worth it, after a disappointing jaunt to Cardiff on Saturday!!)  Taper time, so only 1 10m+ run planned, maybe a 10k TT mid-week and then easy running.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. yes indeed, I have decided on a rest day today to be on the safe side.  Might help one or two aches & niggles to settle down too.  Very impressed with that 8 miler!  BTW which marathons are you planning for the back end of the year?

I'm sure both OO & TR will remember one of the thread's old posters Lord Didsbury.  He clocked a 1.22 half at the weekend aged 59, wearing well it seems.

SJ.. heavy domestic duties after a long run must have caused a few muscle protests. :D
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Wardi - That sounds wise.  I do remember LD - thats impressive I wonder if he will turn up in Manchester?   For the latter part of 2022, the OCC in August, Majorca in October, Malaga in December but likely also to do Gran Canaria in November.  You would think I'd need to see the sun wouldn't you. Do you intend to run Malaga?  
    SJ - Ha  ha.  Had a look at my logistics, Sale to Old Trafford, 4 stops!  Also pleased to see they are handing out SIS gels one less thing to carry.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - how are you today?

SJ - you need a 2023 qualifying time by early August, Manchester would count for you.

10m home tonight, took a tumble over a tree root, wrenched my groin on one side and hammy on the other, we'll see how it is tomorrow.
  • Options
    Noted LD's time from Wilmslow yesterday too Wardi. Super impressive. I do enjoy his strava posts too :smiley: 

Wise to take the rest day if not feeling great. Yes working in the garden after a 21 miler isn't fabulous recovery is it. I usually use the grand prix as an excuse to take a nap but that was thrilling so missed out on that too. 

OO - Oh I don't know I quite enjoyed the game at Cardiff on Saturday having some Italian blood pumping through my veins :smile: Cracking 8 miler btw. Is that mara pace do you reckon?

Re logistics - where are you staying? Not planning to stop around halfway means my plans are somewhat up in the air currently. They will involve food and drink though! 

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. I have fully rested today, very unusual (and lazy) for me, also taken a couple of iron tablets. Will try a short run tomorrow to see if there's an improvement.  Bad luck on the tumble, we seem to damage more as we get older!  Nice 10m commute otherwise.

OO.. TBH I'm looking into the Majorca event as the time of year will probably suit me better.  Have you run that race before?  A couple of my girlie clubmates are running the Ibiza marathon on 9th April.  It starts at 4pm!  Something to do with getting the best views of the Island apparently.

SJ.. we are getting electric buses gradually introduced here.  However I did see a huge electric double decker being towed out of our local bus station recently so not a raging success. 😉 
  • Options
    TR - Bugger. Hope no lasting damage done. Was the tumble towards the end of the 10 miler? Rest up.

You're of course correct re 2023 gfa. I totally misread it this morning. 3.10 will most likely be a stretch too far in two weeks. Would be risking it I think despite recent progress. Two weeks ago I was running to halfway. 

Wardi - greener buses will be a big benefit for sure, gremlins notwithstanding. The tram system in Mcr is great now it reaches most of the city regions. It now feels like a proper mass transit system rather than a system running to only a few areas. HS2 works at Manchester piccadilly are threatening to close our local tram service for 2 years. We all know that will be more than 2 years. Its caused quite the stir locally as you can imagine. 

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - Hope its nothing serious, we've all caught a tree root or two in our time.
    Wardi - It will be my first time running the race. I've done a half in Pollensa on Majorca in the North which was my first overseas race. 
    SJ - I did enjoy the game too and thought Italy were fantastic,  pleased for them. I hope MP is there or thereabouts. I am staying with my BIL & SIL (who is also running the marathon) Derbyshire Road in Sale. 

Just a walk with the dog along the coast today. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I wonder if Dids still has the big quiff, or if he's still baiting scott overall?

Wardi - good moves today, hopefully you'll be back to full health pretty quickly. It takes a while to boost iron with supplements ?

SJ - guess 3.10 might be a stretch off limited training, play it by ear. 26m is a stupidly long way even easy paced.

OO - agreed, first tumble for a wee whole though.

I dont feel too bashed up. Should be doing the last session of 3min reps tomorrow, but will sack it off for an easy commute in if required.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Wardi - nice training going on. Consistent parkrun too despite the leg tiredness. Hopefully your iron levels bounce back; it's an issue I'm all too familiar with!

TR - likewise until the tree root incident. Hopefully all ok today? Your 13.1 mp sounds good to me in those conditions for a lower HR too. Keep the faith.  

Jools - I hope you feel better soon!

Jooligan - nice on the free place. Nice weekend's work too!

sj - you're coming along nicely. Good to see! :smile:

OO - nice tergat MP.

I've had a few hectic days here. Settled for just a 6m jog both Thursday and Friday primarily due to a combo of work and continued IBS flare-up. Felt better by Saturday so ran 9m easy, and then back to back 18 milers Sunday and yesterday. 
    Sunday was 2:08 easy out (7:23), brisk back (6:49), and yesterday was a pretty even brisk run in 2:03 (6:53/6:47 split). My strength is definitely improving so I'll take that for now. Hopefully a few more months of solid base work will set me up nicely for a crack at the GSR in October.
  • Options
    Ah yes, tree roots... I broke my big toe running in to one of those back in 2016. 

I've got an Air BnB for Manchester on St Lawrence Street, if that means anything to anyone. Hoping to plod around Stretford parkrun on Saturday if I can work out how to get there. I think Alexandra is closer but some other vegan runners are doing Stretford that day and I do love a meet-up. 

I felt really tired on my last long run on Sunday. Somehow the route turned out to be a mile shorter than I thought (my diversion to avoid the muddy river path is clearly shorter than the normal route) but I decided 20 was enough rather than plodding out another mile just for the hell of it. Hills tonight, road relays on Saturday and some k reps next Tuesday (might do those at MP), and otherwise all easy running now. 

SJ - I can't believe how quickly you've come back. It seems only a couple of weeks ago that you couldn't run at all. You must have kept your aerobic fitness up well during the lay off.

• Options
    CC2 - Sounds like a good plan. Lots of sharpness between now and then by the looks of it!
    TT - Good work. Is that a regular strategy to run b2b long runs? Feels like ultra style training.
    OO - Half in pollensa sounds like the dream. Based myself there for a few cycling holidays but some running along the coast is no doubt quite pleasant.
    Jooligan - congrats on the MV50 win. That's real good going for a trail half but I guess that's where you come into your own.

The injection has not gone as planned. The consultant made me run a couple of laps of the hospital to try to isolate the area to inject so that will have naturally flared things up but i've had probably the worst consistent pain in my knee since the injection. Granted it was only on Thursday so it may settle down but he suggested i'd feel pretty invincible after it and even suggested I go for a run the next day. The consultant's optimism vs physio's pessimism is a stark contrast but the physio seems to have the right ideas at the moment.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - i like the back to back 18s, bodes well after not doing many long runs.

CC - sounds like 20m was enough at 2 wks out.

Joe - oh crap, thats not good. Bizarre that the two opinions are so far apart.

I wasnt too beat up when i ran today, and loosened up a bit after a rep or 2. So, 10m inc 14x3min, 5th or 6th and last session of those, plus a session or 2 of 10 or 12 reps. I was struggling in January but have hopefully dragged it back a bit with these sessions and some decent +10% blocks in long runs. Need to avoid CV too, its everywhere at the mo.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. fine back to back runs, hope you can keep the health issues at bay before Manchester.

CC2.. my local Sustrans route is tarmac but has plenty of sections where the tree roots have grown underneath - prime trip hazards!  Your wind down sounds ideal, best of luck.

Joe.. cortisone flare ups are not unknown though they normally settle in 2-4 days.  Hope it settles for you.

TR.. a great session for you to bag considering the fall.  Agree re. CV, I'm hearing of more and more cases.

Ran a steady 4m this morning and felt fine.  Suitably encouraged I did another 7m at the club tonight without any issues.  Maybe a one day health glitch then, but I will monitor myself for a few days.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good news Wardi, especially now we’ve some decent weather at last.
    Sorry to hear you’re still in pain Joe in spite of the magic cortisone.
    No problems with your endurance TT! A fine pair there.
    Easy 6M recovery yesterday & 5.4 this evening including 3x3’ with the club. Gradually wound the pace up on the efforts to avoid pulling anything. Stopped after 3 as I could feel the DOMS in my quads.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    joe - that sucks with the cortisone injection reaction. Fingers crossed it settles down quickly. I like to do back to back long runs a few weeks before a marathon as I feel it gives me a nice endurance top-up. 3 weeks prior to my pb I ran a 22 with the last 12 brisk, followed by 20 the next day with LT work. I'm not anywhere near fit enough to do that at the moment but 2 x 18s was ok.

TR - great news on the reps!

Wardi - likewise on the energy levels.

Jooligan - you're made of steel! I wouldn't even attempt a session after your weekend!

6+8 jog double yesterday.
    Tonight will most likely be another 10km on track*, tomorrow another jog double, and then the SEAA Relays for a long leg on Sunday (7.2km).

* I've been doing these in normal trainers but at the pace I'd expect to race with a pair of 'super shoes'. For me I'm working on about 10s per mile of a difference, so in reality I guess that makes (based on my usual conversion) the 10km @ current MP to essentially be a 10km @ HM effort
    I've started working on my training paces being 10s/mile slower than race times predict because of the shoes - anybody else take a similar approach?
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Oh, #1025 for Manchester. White start. For anybody interested.