Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    TT - Impressive back to back session. Not come across this sort of session before except for guys running back to back marathons or ultras. One helluva taper. I thought you'd be on the white start.  Think you are right on the boost the magic trainers give. 
    Joe - Ah bugger on the injection!  It was,  Pollensa to Puerto Pollensa and back, a lovely course in warm April sunshine.  Lots of cyclist groups out on the course and quite an amazing goody bag involving a local bottle of red wine, cycling socks, sunglasses and a visor. 
    Wardi - Good news, don't duck out on the 3rd weetabix now! 
    Jooligan - Legs of steel. 
    TR - Good session.  I am with you on CV, half of my sons class are off-school at the mo. 

6&3m easy yesterday, swim this morning and a 4-5m at whatever pace I fancy later. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    TT.. good training.. and a race to look forward to!  Are the relays road or off road?

Jooligan.. congrats on getting at least some of that session done after a heavy weekend.

OO.. I do like my breakfast cereals so will be generous with the portions. :p
    Enjoy the gradual taper towards Manchester.

11.5m in the sun earlier.  Felt a bit sluggish at first but the pace perked up after 5m or so.  One of the local dog walking services was also out on the racecourse.  Their van carries the ingenious name..  'Bark and Ride'. :)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - good news on the feeling well again running.

OO - its everywhere here too, loads of folks testing positive around me. With lateral low tests stopping too, there'll probably be a spike for a while.

TT - ive only used my Next% a few times in races, i dont see any pace change they just feel super soft. I dont think i run quick enough to see any real difference, running gait matters too.

6m easy home, slow tired affair.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    OO - I tend to taper intensity more than volume. Regarding the back to back longer runs, I think it works better as an endurance boost for me than the over distance runs some people prefer. 

Wardi - the relays are road. Apparently undulating tarmac with a track start and finish. Nice with the 11.5m. My OCD would've insisted on making it 12! Love the dog walking name!

TR - I could be wrong but if I feel it'll give me 10s a mile maybe it just makes me more aggressive in my approach so that could be part of it. Covid numbers are rising here too. I'm keeping everything crossed I don't get it as I'm due to see my parents a few days after Manchester and if I have even a cold I won't be allowed in to see them (my Dad has quite advanced MND). Also my wife is suffering with long covid which is sobering to see as she is/was so fit and healthy, so another good reason to hope I keep dodging it. 

10k TT on track. 35:19 (17:49/17:30 splits). Target/expectation was 86-87s laps (35:50-36:15) so bettered that. Today I felt strong so fingers crossed that keeps coming along. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    You definitely want to dodge the current variant: I'm on day 10 and still testing positive.  Feeling pretty tired, too, although this seems to fluctuate day to day.  All a bit annoying, but at least it's not disrupting any race plans these days.  
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    10 days and still testing positive, jeez Joolska, that's not in the script especially as your triple jabbed and a fit runner. Take care and hope it passes asap!
    Wardi - That sounds a good run out and good to see everything seems to be back in working order. 
    TT - Interesting and that's a fine 10K TT so its working for you; its intriguing the different approaches to training and tapering.  Good luck with the road relay, I was approached to run but travelling all that way to run a few miles doesn't really cut it.

I will be running a marathon on April 3rd but its no longer with 20,000+ others around Manchester but a few hundred around the leafy rural lanes and past the cider houses of Somerset/ Taunton. Circumstances have very recently changed and luckily Tauntons application window has been extended to next Monday.  So much less travel, a lift there and back on the day, and running the first half with a mate whose looking for a 84/85 minutes HM. It will be a lonely second lap but thats often the case after 13m.  Taunton is pretty flat, home to my HM PB so plenty going for it.  So there is a number for Manchester free to a good home if anyone needs one?
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Oh no Jools. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it disappears asap!

OO - shame with Manchester, but hopefully the change in circumstances is nothing bad!
  • Options
    Blimey Jools, 10 days! I'm also trying desperately to dodge it. It seems that everyone I work with has a spouse/child/sister who currently has it, and the girl I sit opposite (and sat opposite all day yesterday while she coughed and snuffled) tested positive last night. I am fuming that she came in to the office with symptoms, but I know she felt obliged to because her morning LFT was negative. Despite my boss assuring me that no-one would be in the office with any symptoms, regardless of whether it was confirmed covid or not, this is very much not the case. Two had colds last week, one has been coughing up her lungs for weeks now and as well as the girl opposite, another was in the office yesterday complaining of feeling bunged up and generally unwell. I would have mentioned it to the boss and asked to WFH until after the marathon, but she's off work for now because her dad is on end of life. I've been there of course so I know how horrible that is and I certainly couldn't bother her with it even if she did happen to log on to her emails (however I wasn't allowed to be off work and I had to deal with it solo rather than with a family, but there's one rule for the bosses and another for us plebs of course).

Sorry to hear about the injection Joe, fingers crossed it just needs a bit of time to settle.

My plans for a more intense week got scuppered when something clenched in my calf on my 7th hill rep on Tuesday. I could still feel something wasn't quite right yesterday so just went on the bike. I couldn't feel anything (except maybe paranoia) this morning, so I ran on the treadmill and it was fine. I'll try outdoors tonight but it certainly won't be the planned track session. Almost certainly just a taper niggle, and it only had me mildly worried. Not half as much as the covid situation does right now. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    TT - That did sound rather dramatic didn't it but no far more mundane involving my son wanting to play a rugby tournament when he found out his favourite cousin in Manchester is away on a DOE weekend.  So less travel & hassle though balanced as Manchester would have been a quicker marathon and better overall experience.  As long as I run a safe sub3, it will tick the box.  
    CC2 - Take it easy and thats a tricky work situation.  Good luck Covid dodging.  I am using my wife as the canary as she needs to LFT daily as she is NHS. 

9m today, a scenic coastal 4m and a 5m in the sun this afternoon @ 6.43. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Well done on the 10k TT

Joolska - hope you feel better soon

OO - shame to miss Manc, but family comes first. Taunton should be good, i really enjoyed Yeovil, a nice quiet tour of the countryside.

CC - if folks test negative then they have to carry on. Loads of colds about. Its only going to get worse when theres no more tests available very soon. Everyone with cold symptoms cant isolate. I'll be talking at a careers fair all day on the Tues before Brighton, likely to cone into contact with 100s of students.

10m (5 easy,  5 av 7.03) and 4m double today.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    A decent double there TR, good pace in the 2nd 5m section.

Jools.. very frustrating, hope you get  a negative result very soon.

OO.. shame about Manchester but sounds like a nice local alternative.  The York marathon often appealed as it was quite a cheap day out.  :)

TT.. a storming 10k session on the track, you seem to be peaking well and in good shape.

CC2.. shame you can't WFH, fingers crossed you dodge the CV.  Good news that your calf was just a minor glitch.

5m + 5m today, lovely spring sun and no wind to speak of.  
    A small stream I run over regularly had fly tipping dumped in it last week.  3 x Tyres, a large builders rubbish bag, kids buggy, 2 mattresses plus bathroom fittings.  I did report it to the council, today the whole lot had been hoisted out and left on the grass verge.  Result!

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I hope the calf is improving, Speedy.

Wardi's local council sound pretty efficient at tidying up.

Finally a bit of good news: negative lateral flow on day 11 :smile:
    Annoying bad news: secondary chest infection since lunchtime on day 10...  Taking ibuprofen to try and keep my breathing more relaxed, but realistically I think it might be quite a few more days before I'm jogging.  Still, if anyone on this thread had to be out of running action for a few weeks, I'd rather it was fun runner me than any of those with spring marathon targets.  Taking one for the team, threadsters!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    It's appreciated Jools! Glad to see you getting a negative, but tough break on the chest infection.

CC - sounds like a nightmare situation with work. Good luck avoiding it.

OO - fair enough. Luckily for me my boys are old enough to get themselves to anything like that (within reason). 

TR - nice doubling.

Wardi - we see loads of fly tipping in our local park unfortunately - a motorway borders the edge of it so there have been instances of trucks pulling up and dumping. Reporting it has had no effect either :( 

8m jog yesterday. 4m jog + 9m easy today. No real rhythm to my last few runs. Hopefully that just means my legs are catching up with my lungs as it all felt remarkably comfortable.

It turns out the long leg of the relays on Sunday is 8.662km instead of the 7.2km I'd expected. I believe the loop is undulating as well. It'll be a good workout either way.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - i see tipping like that at times in the lanes i run. Sometimes they just tip it off the back of the truck which closes the lane.

Jools - good news on the negative test, shame on the chest infection. I remember the being allowed out feeling, i was locked in for 14 days as back then you had to isolate when anyone in the house had tested positive.

TT - wow, if a long leg is 8k how short is a short leg?

5m easy this morning. Last long run tomorrow.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. around here the council won't collect fly tipping if it is on private land.  I think there is an unwritten agreement that if the landowner (farmer in this case) is willing to shift it off his land onto the verge of a nearby public highway the council will do the rest.
    Good training as usual and good luck for the relays on Sunday.

Jools.. a negative test at last, delighted for you.  Bummmer about the chest infection though. :/

Not quite the day I intended.. had a pleasant 5m run in the sun this morning though detected a slightly sore throat & sniffles.  As we had a pretty full on weekend planned for Mrs Wardi's birthday I though it wise to do a LF test as a precaution - positive!  I wouldn't mind but apart from very mild cold symptoms I feel fine otherwise, felt ok on the run. Saturday Parkrun is a no go, plus a visit from the in laws, a birthday meal out and a concert Sat. night all off the agenda unless she can find a chum to go with.  I can't go to the planned Indian restaurant nosh up on Sunday but theres a bunch of friends who can keep her company.
    I have ordered a PCR test as a double check, I don't feel poorly!

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Sorry to hear that, Wardi, especially given the date clash for Mrs. Wardi's birthday.  Unfortunately given how high Covid rates are at the moment, many colds will actually be Covid.  I hope your symptoms stay mild and that you recover quickly.  I suspect I was susceptible to infection because I'd reached a point of burn out with work, so don't get despondent about my recovery rate.  Oh, and get a curry delivered: all the natural anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric have got to be part of the solution!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    O Wardi!  Unlucky with the timings with so much arranged but glad to hear your feeling well/ OK.  You did say earlier in the week you felt a bit odd on one of your runs. 
    Joolska - That is good news and I think your right about colds and covid. My wife tests herself most days for work so she is my canary.  I am not going to test pre-marathon unless I am feeling awful. Bit of a moral maze. Me and my son felt coldy early last week coughing/ sneezing but we all seem fine now.
    TR - Good luck with the last long run, mine was very slow last week.

A decent sess yesterday, 10 including a 5k (18.56) to finish.  In other news,  I've succumbed to my weakness for Spanish marathons and booked the Seville marathon for Feb 2023, registrations opened today.  Its part of an aspiration to run a sub3 marathon every month in 2023, mostly in new cities and Seville is fast and flat.  The 2 club mates I am going to Taunton with are going, and a few others likely too so should be a good craic. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pisser wardi, hope you stay well. Id avoid any gatherings, but as its no longer law to isolate you can probably go for a walk etc. Shame for the bday plans, my youngest has had his 19th and 20th bdays in lockdown, hoping he gets to celebrate his 21st in a week without CV scuppering it.

Last long run, 5.5m, 10m (av 6.41s, but more 5 av 6.50ish, 5 av 6.30ish cos of wind), 4.5m. Id take 6.41s all day. Still had a bit in reserve again HR wise. First T shirt and shorts run of the year ! Given my fitness a good nudge in recent weeks just need the weather gods to be kind.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Must be good to get that one out of the way TR, t-shirt  & shorts was a bonus.🌞  Good luck to your lad for his 21st 👍

OO.. Great end to that session yesterday.  I've heard lots of good things about Seville, a typically well organised Spanish marathon.

Thanks Jools, one bit of good news is that Mrs Wardi has tested negative.  She has shifted the curry night out to next weekend so I won't miss out all being well.  A hot takeaway beckons tomorrow I think! 🌶

Just over 5m this morning via a carefully chosen off road route and didn't see another soul.  I did feel better after that.  I won't be doing any double digit runs until I get a negative result but would be nice to tick over.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Oh Wardi that sucks! Good that you're feeling ok so far though. Cheers for the good luck. It'll be interesting as I'm now on the first leg after a late team reshuffle so expected to be well down as most teams will start strong. I think that stretch near here is notorious for tipping because it's private land that isn't easily accessible by the park and there's confusion over responsibility as it's a council run country park. 

TR - nicely executed long run. The short legs are 5km (4.987 to be precise). If I'd known the longer legs were closer to 10km I'd have done a shorter one. 

7+ with 10 x 100m/100m windsprints yesterday. Poor choice of location for the quick stuff as there were surprisingly still football matches going on, but still ticked the box by getting puffy.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - keep an eye on yr HR and keep it easy. A few non running days might be good, just walk to keep active.

TT - 10k one week out should be good, plenty of folks used to race on the weekend before a marathon.

Steasy turbo here, taper time.
  • Options
    Glad you hear you are negative now Jools, although my own experiences in 2020 tell me the chest infection (January) was significantly worse than Covid (March), so I hope yours is the other way around. And sad you hear you are positive Wardi, but at least you still feel well! I'm still dodging it here. 

Midlands relays were 3.18 miles for the short legs and 5.37 miles for the long. I was on leg 4, a short one, and somehow clocked the fastest time for the leg and 9th fastest short leg over all. This can only be down the fastest runners all taking long legs, because my time was 18.53, which is unspectacular in the grand scheme of things, even allowing for the hilly course. For me though, it was my best pace on there, even including the shorter legs of previous years that came in at 2.7x miles. 8 days before London 2021 on the shorter course I clocked 6 min miling exactly on leg 1, which at least feels like a race, yesterday was 5.56s on lonely leg 4. My calf was absolutely fine. So I'm definitely in good shape, providing no-one has passed their lurgy on to me. Maranoia is worse than ever!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wardi - I bet that 5m felt sweet; but yes go easy.
    CC2 - Great work-out a week from Manchester and good to hear the calf gets the all clear.
    TR - Nice one.
    TT - Hope you had a good run at the NRRC.

8m with 4m easy/ 4 ideally mp-20 seconds done with the faster segment coming out 6.12 mm will take that. Had a late invite to run the relays in Milton Keynes, would have liked to have taken part but the best part of 2 days away to run 5m somehow didn't tick the box, and anyways Mothers Day lunch was booked. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CC2.. that's a cracking pace for an undulating course, the shorter distances are always 'eyeballs out' so a good pre Marathon prep.  Hope you manage to stay healthy - I'm sure I caught it at a family gathering last weekend - 4 of the other guests also have it!

OO.. good to see you winding down a bit, nice pace in the faster section there. Agreed those relays were probably too far & too much hassle for a short distance.

TR.. my RHR is about 10bpm up on normal (55 vs 45 normally).  When I had a fever a couple of years ago it was close to 80bpm!  I find a gentle run helps to clear the airways given the mild cold symptoms.  7m today at a gentle pace with a few stops to look at the view (nice clear day again).
    Looks like the gloves and double layers will make a return mid-week.
  • Options
    Indeed, after a day of summer yesterday it was already back to 'could have done with my gloves' weather today, and snow is forecast for Thursday. Not much, thankfully!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - shaping up well

Wardi - not sure if you should be running until that HR comes back down then?
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Joolska - rotten luck with the chest infection now. Sending healing vibes.

Wardi - ditto bad luck too on testing positive and affecting Mrs Wardi's celebrations. Good to read you are feeling well enough to get out. 

TR - super final long run. Plenty of quality in that and a decent confidence booster I'm sure. 

CC2 - excellent speed at the relays. Legs obviously turning over well which, fingers crossed, translates to a good performance next week.

OO - likewise nice work on the faster running and the Seville marathon entry. That's a great goal for 2023 too. Sorry to read change of plans for Manchester but understandably the right call. 

TT - hope the relays went well for you. Also hope the legs are feeling better. 

I'm not quick enough for our relay teams anymore. I have been provisionally included in the vet relays next month. 

Dug out p&d third edition to use the 'up to 50mpw' taper. It's meant an easier week with some reps midweek, 4 x 1200m which I did on the treadmill. Some easy runs, 3 rest days and 21.1k this morning which was fine although had a job keeping a lid on it. I was working hard at the end and averaged 4.40/km, so too quick and judging by the effort in no way a pace I could sustain next Sunday. 

At least I have a better idea of where I am. Coach at the club gave me some sound advice in the week via email; take it very easy, nothing to prove etc. Wise words indeed. 
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - it was more that on the Lydiard stuff a 5km TT is a staple the weekend pre-marathon. I just kept the edge off of it instead.

CC - well done on your relay run.

OO - sounding in good shape!

sj - sounds like you're coming along nicely which I'm very pleased to read. Nice of your coach to take the time too.

With Manchester* coming up my aim for the relays was a solid but controlled run especially as I've been a bit achy and stiff over the last few days. I figured beforehand that anything under 30mins would be acceptable, but that was before I realised the undulating and rutted nature of the course. It was a lot of fun, but pretty much no flat on the loop, and the soles of my Nike got quite scuff up by the surface.

Anyway, job done. 29:34. Through 3km @ 3:23/km, next 2km @ 3:30 (5km in 17:09 - switched off a bit), before picking back up to 3:23/km for the last 3.662km. That was good enough for just 36th out of 49 on the first leg!! (though I consoled myself with the thought that most clubs would have put their fastest runners out first).
    I'd have put it at about 95% effort, so think on a flat course without any aches I would expect 33:3x-33:4x for 10km, so I'm coming along decently.

Unfortunately my car decided it was staying in Milton Keynes so I've now got to try sort out recovering that!

* my dog came up lame the other day (unknown cause so far) and isn't improving so if she doesn't there's a chance I might end up missing Manchester as I can't leave her with family to take care of (partially because they have a very bouncy puppy who will break her more).
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    SJ - That looks a good taper week.  It must be quite tricky to decide on how you are going to run your race. FWIW I would start noticeably slower than what you could do,  at some point (if you want) enjoy the overtaking. Those are wise words, I always remind myself, the only guy you are racing against is yourself, so a license to do what you want. 
    Wardi - Great you can get out and be able to enjoy your running.
    TT - A really solid run and job done - 36th out of 49, a quality field indeed. With the car and your dog, is hassle you can do without. Fingers crossed for both.

A no running day but will go to the gym/ pool later for 30-45 minutes of something. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. nice efforts in your tapering phase. I hope above all that you enjoy the day given your niggles over the months.

TT.. that's a storming effort in the relay for a mere 36th place!  Quite a stacked field then.  Sorry to hear about the dog and car hassle. We've bought our last 3 cars from a Ford dealer 1m down the road.  If we get the cars serviced there it includes free rescue & breakdown cover.  I've only used it once, handy though as I was over 200m from home with a bust suspension spring!

TR.. since yesterday my sore throat has gone and my RHR is happily back to normal.  I've sent a PCR test off today so I'll see how that comes back.
    A wet morning here but decided on a pleasant 10k walk this afternoon when the sun made a welcome return.