Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Absolutely still doing the ultra, what kind of question is that?  :D
    I've noticed that I seem to be aligned with Kipchoge. When he broke 2 hours, I broke 4. When he had a horrible race in London, 2020, I had my only DNF (Dorney) and his Boston and my Manchester didn't go as planned this year.
    On reflection, I am not disappointed with myself because I did everything I could to get to the finish and I didn't give up. I am just disappointed that I got sick when I did. I started at a similar pace for the 16 miler four weeks ago and was able to keep that going easily and even speed up towards the end, which is why I thought a 4:15 could be achievable. Unfortunately, the illness caused me to detrain so, even though I felt pretty much OK on Sunday, I started to slow down around 11 miles and it got progressively worse from there. I never felt ill and I was taking on gels every 4 miles but my legs just didn't have it in them.

• Options
    More importantly now what date is Hazels race ?
  • Options

Cal, Kipchoge' shadow is a tag I would love ! You can be happy with any run as long as you know heart of hearts you've put everything into it regardless of conditions or circumstances

Sadly even though I spotted you briefly I didn't shout hello, I was too late ! I must have jogged past at some point already as well  

As others know finished in 3:36 which isn't the 3:30 I was after but one I'm pleased with. My only 'excuse' is the airpod on my alphas was popped before I started the race ! My ankle and hip were in pain at around 6 miles in, by 18 miles my pace dropped and couldn't get it back. Hip was done and in my head was a matter of survival and not stopping to get to the end... Mission achieved 

Annoyingly I have a new pair of AFv1 sitting on a shelf I would have worn if I knew they were buggered. Airpod was fine few weeks earlier when I tested them on a long run...

Things I've learnt...

- Take a second pair of trainers and check before leaving for race
    - I do prefer gels on race day. The jellies were hard to get down
    - The last 6/8 miles are just a matter of digging in and endure pain
    - Carb loading is good I need to sip on more energy drink, decreasing reliance on food

Whilst disappointed not to make 3:30, I'm happy as I know full well I was done at the end of the race. I sat down after medal collection and couldn't get up for 30 mins as I cramped every time I tried to move... Walking the 1k back to a scooter to get me home took me an hour

Feeling good today, still a little achy but as expected. Will do a recovery run tomorrow...

Manchester also winning medal & t-shirt design !

• Options
    Cal, you can take out your Manchester frustrations on the ultra. Murder it!

DH, well done mate!! That is a very good time and performance (mine pb is 4.16!). Very good race report; I could almost feel your pain. Bloody hard work. You've earned your plaudits, as you trained very hard and endured a great deal of discomfort. 

Next one?

Hope you and Cal have recovered.

A fairly hard hilly 10k at 5.20 pace today.

5k race tomorrow evening.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I think I said it on Strava but you had a bloody tough race there - I'd send those shoes back to Nike if I were you. That's a good time under the circumstances. At least it's a nice shirt and medal though, eh?

John, good work there, was that a race? (I can't even conceive of running that fast...my mile PB is two minutes slower than that!)

• Options
    JB for comparison I run a standard 180 cadence on "normal" runs but can get to 200+ for speedwork or 10k races (don't normally run much shorter).  Good point regarding the road bike and potholes! You would be repairing a lot and also risk an accident.  Good luck with the race this evening, I hope you found another runner.

Good reflections above regarding your Manchester race Cal.  When is your ultra?    

Well done to you too DH, definitely a good marathon debut  - especially considering the shoe issues.  How many miles did they have pre race?  Will you send them back? Have you been out for your recovery yet - it does seem to help even though it might hurt a lot at that time.  I am afraid I had to laugh at the not being able to get up after sitting down - I did this as well.  Best thing is to keep moving - gentle walk or something like that.

My race is on Sunday.  

Longer "recovery" 10k on Monday - was a bit hilly and I felt that!  I decided pre-run it would be a good break from the monotony of flat running.  

Dress rehearsal yesterday - another outing for the new shoes but not clothing as I am familiar with all of that.  Steady running with 2 and a bit miles @ MP - need to cool that still though.  I think it would be good if it is a bit congested on Sunday initially so I can't zoom off.

Starting to shove in a few extra carbs now.  Hope fruit cake counts, I have a nice piece of simnel cake saved from Easter!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ultra's in June (24th), Hazel - a week after my birthday. Plenty of time.
    Good luck with your race - simnel cake sounds like a great way to carb up. 

Got out and did my recovery run this morning (yesterday I had a walk). I was going to do 3 miles but actually did 4. Legs were heavy but not really sore and I felt better by the end, which I guess is the point.
    In other news, after thoughts of "this is awful, I hate this, this will be my last marathon" on Sunday (OK I know the last thought wasn't a very serious one...) I am now in for Brighton next year. It's more sensibly priced at £60 and Brighton is my birthplace, after all, so now it's in more reliable hands, there's no reason not to.
  • Options
    Thanks all...

I did have a cheeky look at Valencia which is December but the cost of flight etcs makes that prohibitive for the next so it'll probably be Newport next year unless of course I get into London. I may even apply for Berlin '24, didn't get a spot for '23. I have Snowdonia in Oct' but not racing that... Fun run that one

Shoes themselves have 175k on them and I have a flat lay picture a few days prior that shows they have not popped at that point. I bought them 2 years ago from Pro Direct so need to contact them. How much extra time I would have gotten with un-popped shoes who knows... 

Had 2 days off will do a recovery later today. Legs feel much better if still achy but they are fine, no injuries anyhow !

Brighton is quite a hilly challenge isn't it Cal ?

All down to Hazel now to get us sub 3:30 ! 

5k race tonight John ? Good luck !! 
  • Options
    Good you have plenty of time to recover from Manchester before your ultra Cal. Well done for getting out for your recovery run.  The first one post mara isn't easy.  Brighton seems a good option and a decent price too.  

Good to see you recovery running and thinking about the next already as well DH.  I applied for London once via the overseas ballot but don't have a chance of getting in really.  I would normally run a GFA time but can't use that either as a non-UK resident.  I can certainly recommend Berlin - did that in 2018, getting through the ballot first time.  Maybe the Germans will stop striking by then (though the UK also has its own problems on that too!).  If you google popped pods for the Alphafly you will find a few hits - seems it happens every now and then which is pretty disgusting for a shoe of that price.

I will take on the challenge of 3:30 but who knows - the last time I had trained for it I got a 3:53..  My course best (my first mara) is 3:34, I also DNFed there in 2018 (heatwave).

Hope the 5k went well JB.

Just 2.5m recovery yesterday and felt pretty awful! 

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    DH, it's a bit hillier than Manchester but what hills there are are in the first half. I've done Liverpool three times (RIP) and that had a few climbs so I'm sure I'll cope. The main issue is if it's windy. I don't like wind.

I'm still not sure what I will be doing for the Autumn. The choice is now very limited... Yorkshire again (and given I had the perfect race there in 2019, and my sub-4, I'm not sure I'd want to tarnish that), Chester again (where I had a great run in 2018 but found it tough last year), or the new Runthrough race in Battersea Park which is local, relatively cheap but laps, which I hate. (Foreign races and Loch Ness will be out of my budget range this year, due to me having to pay for new windows in the rental flat, amongst other things).

5 miles today. I'm off to Europe (Belgium/NL) this afternoon with Colin and his folks for a week away - no running aside from parkrun. Getting my Z at Zuiderpark, hopefully!

• Options
    Lots of marathon chat which I'll keep out other to reiterate best wishes to Hazel and congrats to DH and Cal.
    I did run the 5k but didn't get the 4th to make a team.

Horrible easterly wind which wasn't so horrible when it blew me to the turn at sub 4 pace.
    Then it  got harder and I was picked off by a few younger runners. And then 200m from the finish harder still as my groin went. Jogged home in 20.50, first old git TBC.

An ice pack was my reward...  and a few days off.

(Ave cadence 203; max 236.)

• Options
    Oh John you are not having much luck, hopefully a very quick twinge to heal ! Still cantering in in my exact 5k PB time though...

7k easy yesterday and legs felt lacking energy by the end, to be expected I suppose. Feel good today though, up and down the stairs now with no twinges. Few more easy runs to complete the week and hopefully back into it to maximize fitness. First time in 2 years I've raced in a major target and not had covid afterwards !

Contacted Pro Direct over my shoes and as expected they won't do anything as the order was over 12 months ago, 24 months to be precise so I guess that's me stuffed ! The pods are indeed well known for bursting
  • Options
    How about a half rather than a full mara for the autumn Cal?  Or look for another ultra?  Have a lovely trip to BE/NL - nice treat for you and a great Z opportunity it seems.

Sorry about the mara chat JB - it will be over soon.  Even more so sorry to hear your 5k didn't go as hoped.  Jogging 20:50 would be nice. 

You are recovering fast DH.  Don't rush back in too fast though.  You haven't just run a marathon but also had a long build up to it so a couple of down weeks would do you good.  Bad luck on the shoes.

5m recovery with a bunch of strides yesterday.  Felt much better than on Wednesday and struggled a bit to keep the pace down.  Treated myself to a flat river route even if meant driving elsewhere - I wanted to see something else.  I normally stay local for shorter runs.  
  • Options
    Thanks Hazel, next mission is Cardiff 5k which is a week Sunday... Will probably end up keeping it easy until that point and just see what happens...

Few more easy runs today and Parkrun tomorrow just to keep me ticking over.

Good luck for Sunday ! 
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Thanks for the good wishes. Things still not quite right groin wise, so no running.

Been on the rower and hammered out a 5k. A joyless experience!

Hazel, all the best! Knock it out of the park!

DH, good luck for the parkrun. You are on fire.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I can sympathise on the groin as mine's a little sod at times.
    Good luck Hazel,

Just a quick one but I did Zuiderpark - lovely fast, flat two lap course and lots and lots of UK tourists there. I felt like I was going quite fast but ran 28:28 so I guess it's the post-marathon legs. Still enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Cal, you bagged a Z.

Fantastic elite races at the London marathon today.
  • Options
    It's hard to choose between Kiptum and Hassan for runner of the day !

Kiptum with a course record and so close to a world record on a course considered slow. Hassan had to stop and stretch looking injured, caught up with pack, ran across the road for a missing water stop, handed water to other runners who missed stations and still managed a SPRINT finish. Outstanding !

What am I saying Hassan clearly runner of the day and the interview afterwards was great to watch as well. She will break the WR with running like that one day...

Managed my Parkrun with dog who ran well even if running out of steam last 1km. Legs still feel heavy and tired and heart rate variability is telling me I'm not right. However I've had a few beers this week which dips the stats...

After each of my previous target spring races I've had covid afterwards. Really want to push on now and make the most of fitness I've built up...

Cal great news bagging the 'Z', like finding hens teeth
  • Options
    Good work on the Z Cal. Decent time one week post mara too.

Rest sounds sensible JB. At least you had the distraction of the London mara. 

Just read the results for London  -impressive stuff! 5th win in a row and a new course record for wheelchair athelete Hug too. Saw him warming up in Berlin in 2018.

Good work on the dog parkrun DH, what is his PB?

I was shit today. Broke down again and basically walked in from before 20m to get back to the city.  DNFed then as didn't see much point in walking another 2.5 and adding a 5 hour mara to my CV. Thinking to do. I'm not chasing a certain 
    number of maras but to end like this?
  • Options
    Oh Hazel I'm sorry to hear that! You must have hit a real low. Certainly you put the training in. Just a bad day at the office. I'm sure you'll bounce back. And you have all that training in the legs for other events.....

DH, clearly your body is telling you to take it easy.. ...

So is mine. Went for a gentle 4k today but could still feel the groin discomfort. As I had a hernia operation a fee years back, I'm particularly sensitive on this injury.
  • Options
    It seems we all need to be gentle to ourselves at the moment.

Walked a bit and ran a bit less (2m) today to loosen up the legs after sitting at my desk - would have been better the other way around (move first, work later) but would also have meant getting up early again.  No thanks.

Legs feel a bit like I raced a hard 10k or maybe a HM - not much more than that.  Generally pretty tired though.  
  • Options
    Oh no Hazel !! Hope your ok ? Take a few weeks to let things settle down, everyone appears to say last marathon for me but managed to find one or a few more... Looking at your pace you were well above target, go off too fast ? Didn't look like it, consistent...

Had a small jaunt yesterday and a new plan for next 4 week block. Mileage is virtually non-existent with a small about of 5k interval work. Have a few 5k races and entered Bristol 10k to try and reduce my 10k time
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Quick drop in (still in NL, doing theme parks)...Hazel, sorry about your run, but as John says, just a bad day. Put it in the f*ck it bucket and forget about it. You're not done any more than I am. Hopefully we can both do better in the Autumn.
  • Options
    Post marathon blues and sheer knakeredness much in evidence 
    As a breed we are pretty hard on ourselves aren't we?

Another easy paced 4k today. Groin is easing, but pace will be the real test......   

• Options
    I haven't done a post mortem yet DH but I wouldn't say that I won't off much too fast in the first 10miles - maybe the first 5k.  I kept getting snarled up in the 3:30 pace group which I wanted to avoid at all costs (carnage at the water stops) and they were too fast.  Good luck with the 5k training - something different to plodding long miles.

I don't know that I want to do an autumn mara Cal as it means another summer of training, training and not much else.  Not a great prospect considering I've just spent over 4 mths doing that.  Enjoy the theme parks.

Careful with the pace JB.  

5k recovery yesterday afternoon. 

• Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Hazel, plenty to take away from that race and come back harder. Vote of confidence from the south coast!

Tested groin and failed! Not really painful but a defo warning that all is not quite right yet. I know it's dumb but if you don't test it how do you know it's better?

Nobody ever said older MUST mean wiser!
  • Options
    I remember running through the 4hr pacer traffic, fortunately it was on a wide section of road although did coincide with a water stop annoyingly ! 

I would take a few weeks Hazel nothing needs to be decided straight away.

John as long as you  stop when you feel it so no further damage whats the worst that can happen ?

I'm chomping at the bit to get going again but my RHR and legs say no thanks. Had a 'speed' session yesterday and that was hard, Cardiff 5k on Sunday isn't going to be a fast one I don't have it in my legs.

Bonus is though it's club night and group photo time for everyone with medals from this year :) 
  • Options
    Might need to take it easy or skip parkrun on Saturday if you can't trust yourself to take it easy JB.  Agree on the testing things out - sometimes you can walk and otherwise move fine but not run (well).

Enjoy the photo shooting DH.  

5 miles yesterday.  Bit faster than recovery pace but not much.  I seem to be a bit sensitive to the oilseed rape the last few years - I ran past 2 fields of the stuff and found breathing quite a bit harder - the smell is enough to put you off though.  Promptly also gobbled a couple of insects - definitely didn't miss those during the winter.
  • Options
    DH, will we get to see that photo?

Hazel, aren't insects the future of protein? If so you are ahead of the game.

5k run; groin went after 3k. Boring!
  • Options
    PS as I'll have no last run to report I'll check out while I lick my wounds. And that is a  truly terrible image!