Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - good that you're on the mend, hopefully a quicker recovery this time.

OO - you should be able to free up hip flexor, that's from a lack of running. The streak is still alive at the mo.......Steve who I met at Goodwood?.........I'm undecided on Brighton, I'll decide after the weekend..........there's a chance it'll set my body back and I'll miss London, there's a chance I'll taper and the weather will be crap an I'll have wished I focussed on London......so I probably will just focus on London.

LS - that's a great amount of 13+ runs,  I've only a few 12s as mediums and no 22s, I've about 5 20s and a couple of 21s............I'd do the 10m hard at 2 weeks out, it's only 60ish mins, untapered you shouldn't be able to go too hard. I did a 10k 2 wks out before and it worked well.

Heavy weights this morning (pushed the weight up so I'm sure to notice it) and a minimal 5m home later.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LS21.. keep the faith with the build up, the body often creaks during marathon training.  That sounds like a decent haul of long runs and MLR's so no need to worry.  I would run the 10m full beans as it's 2 weeks out.

Jooligan.. good to see you are recovering well & running confidently.

OO.. ending your streak would be a shame but I can understand your thinking.  A good training run for Newport!  Good luck with the hip problem.

The chiropractor visit was very enlightening.  It seems all the problems on my left side (including running with a left lean) have been caused by a hip/glute weakness on the right side.  Apparently this is known as a Trendelenburg sign.  I had my hip manipulated, my neck & back scrunched, and a tight shoulder freed up.  I have a couple of exercises to do to build up the right glute/hip.
    Ran 6m this afternoon and already feel more fluid and faster than before - encouraging so far.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 20
    Race it LS21 - you’re not going for a PB at the Mara anyway. I’ve had back-back PBs on consecutive weekends: FoD Half then Brighton Mara about 10 years ago.

Hope so TR. Got the local Half on Sunday. I’ll get round but probably be a PW.

I’m still planning to stand on the start line for Newport OO. I’ll have a better idea what shape I may be in after Sunday.

Sounds like magic voodoo Wardi
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited March 21
    LS21 - thank you!! x And hugs right back at you for that hamstring! Re: the 10m the general rule of thumb is 1 day recovery for each mile raced so no reason you can't do both full beans.
    Cheers for the standards too. I'll raise it with my lot and see what kind of response it gets. It could well be like your old club as there always seems to be a 50:50 split between those who are focused on improving and those who get funny about other people wanting to improve so it tends to depend on the make up of the committee. Many many years ago I tried to organise a Sunday long run group with the proviso that it wasn't an official session and was just me looking for people to run with at my pace, and I got lots of flak for not offering to organise long run groups for everybody else's pace at the same time!

Jooligan
    - good luck for Sunday. I've got plenty of wiggle room for a PW over a HM - I rocked up at Reading HM a couple of times during my fat years to roll around it untrained. You seem to have bounced back quicker from your last few bouts of covid. I guess practice makes perfect ;) 

TR - it sounds like despite your concerns about missing some bits of training that you're coming into good shape. I think when you've got years of training in the bank that a campaign with a bit less can surprise you - I got around Valencia in 2017 just over a minute outside my pb off the back of 1 x 20 and 1 x 18, and pretty much an average of 15mpw less over the last 10 weeks than my pb (and the 5 months before that only average 35mpw).

Wardi - great news on the hamstring niggle and chiro session. Hopefully those exercises do the job!

OO - tough break on the aborted run but I guess it was always a possibility after the HM off the back of compromised training. I'm with LS21 on not needing to count Manchester in your streak if you're not aiming sub-3. I paced somebody around Barcelona years ago and don't count that if I tot up my marathon average pace.

Just a 45min recovery yesterday. Had a bit of a ropey feeling day (at the stage of trying to reintroduce stuff to my diet - red meat seems to be on the no fly list for now) so when the jog made me feel better I took that as a win and didn't push for more. Steady hour this morning was the furthest/quickest I've run in a few weeks and actually felt decent (6:46 average).
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Jools - Decided to jump over here rather than bring the old P&D thread back up. Glad you are getting over COVID.
    TR - Sounds like a solid 10 miler.

Bit of a fraud being over here, as not gone sub 3! Got Windermere marathon as a training run in May, but a local HM next month to see what sort of pace is in the legs to see if I can go sub 85. Struggled hitting paces on LT runs this campaign but got some solid MP runs done, so aerobically should be in decent shape. 20m with 14 at MP this weekend!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi- good news, sounds like a result

Jools - build into thst HM then

TT - easy does it........I've been running 60 to 70mpw consistently so I'm not unfit, I'm just not as marathon proofed as normal.

Steve - good to see you. We know from previous P and D campaigns that are sub3 capable, you need to want to do it.

Wasn't sure wether to do the 10m inc 3min reps as a bit close to Sundays race (and Tuesdays 12 and 6) esp as the last 2 wks have been a bit slow and a struggle for the session. But went for it and today was much improved, so i must be a bit healthier. Easy tomorrow then a long run saturday.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 21
    Welcome Steve with the numbers mentioned in your last 2 lines, you certainly belong.
    TT - That is a decent run.  Glad your feeling better.
    LS - That's enough long runs I reckon for a marathon build-up, and yes full beans for the 10m on the 7/4.
    Wardi - Feeling fluid is very good.  Seems a worthwhile visit.
    Jooligan - Good luck for the HM.  Don't worry too much about the time, see as quality training and for the training boost. 
    TR - Good point re: hip flexor, it was a demanding run on Sunday.  I'd prioritise London and look to bypass Brighton too.  Yes, it is Steve who wished he'd entered London rather than Brighton!

Thanks for the viewpoints on the sub-3 streak, its become a slightly philosophical dilemma now to ponder.  Hip still aches but OK to run a 10K yday and 10m today. Would normally be looking to run fast tempo at this stage but for now adding mileage works. 

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good to see you on here SteveMac, FWIW when I was in my prime 1.24.56 was my best half (6.30 pace).  My best marathons were 3.03, 3.05, 3.06 though others have broken 3 on a sub 1.25 half.  

OO.. good luck with your marathon decision and healing powers from now!

TR.. you did well after recent mileage to see that 10m session through, nicely done.   Ditto your marathon plans, eggs in one basket at London sounds sensible.

Jooligan.. Best of luck with the half on Sunday, hope the covid after effects have left your system.

TT.. great to see you training at a decent pace again, sorting the diet out seems like quite a challenge.

The Chiro visit.. a good one seems very intuitive where your problems are after a few simple brief exercises.  I never knew I had a right arm weakness or lower back stiffness.

7.5m + 4.3m double today, got a bit of a wetting this morning.  Hip/glute exercises in between.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 21
    Nice one Steve. Is that a PB attempt for the HM? Which one is it?
    Good luck with that LR Sunday.
    I’d agree with the consensus re the sub-3 streak OO. As long as you properly treat Manchester as a LR with company that’s not a race is it. Depends how disciplined you are at running that conservatively with a number pinned to your chest & loads of others with targets on their back ahead of you.
    Decent steady hour TT. Good to see. 
    Smashing the mileage out Wardi.
    I’ll definitely not be going for any heroics Sunday. 
    Did 4.7M@7:53 pace along the canal today which is positive but HR was climbing towards tempo levels so need to keep a tight lid on things.
    Did an hour’s yoga class this evening which revealed plenty of tightness & weaknesses. Should be a regular addition to my training henceforth which can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    edited March 22
    Jools - Shakespeare HM, not sure if it's a PB course tbh, but should be fairly quick. Not decided yet if I'll aim for PB pace or not yet, will see how the legs feel closer to the day.
    TR - Need to get myself up for a sub 3 attempt next year I think.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Welcome Steve.

TR - very positive on the 3min reps. 

OO - good that the hip is manageable.

Wardi - a good chiro is worth their weight in gold. They've certainly dug me out of several holes over the years!

Jools - my HR is doing similar things to yours. Good to see you're being sensible, and cool with the yoga.

Yesterday's run was both good and bad - it was good from the perspective that I managed to run a bit quicker than a bimble for the first time since this properly kicked in, but bad from the perspective that it has undoubtedly triggered a reaction. 
    That takes London completely off the table in any form now as if 1hr at a sub-3 pace causes that reaction then 3 hours of that would most likely cause a horrendous setback.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Wondered if it was Steve. We both did the marathon there in ‘22 I think. 
    Not an ideal PB course but it’s certainly not out of the question if you’re feeling fit enough. Depends what state the Greenway is in & how the weather is (as ever). At least you’ll only do the hill once.
    Probably a good thing to have London ruled out at this stage TT. Hope the reaction is short-lived though.
    Progressive 5K today. Mile paces were 8:30/8:00/7:30 & 6:30 for the final 0.1M
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - very wise. You need to aim for health before you try to get fit.

OO - some double digits runs would be good, if you can do them......hope he gets a kind weather day then, ironically my number came today.

Jools - good to see you getting healthier. Hope you went ok today.

Steve - agreed, maybe later this year?

5 and 5 yday. A lumpy slow 21m in time on feet style in 2h 57m, so a nice toddle. Windy (gruesome windchill) and wet, with a few rain showers and a couple of hail showers. Tougher weather than some of the winter long runs........Decent week with 10m race, long tempo, 3 min reps and long run, 88m all in. Decent at last.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR .. Nicely done on the windswept/showery 21m, just when I thought Spring had arrived!  Very windy & cold here all day too though mostly dry.  A good total for the week too.

Jooligan.. hope you have a good run tomorrow.

TT.. a wise call on London, marathons are tough enough when the training is done and the body is cooperating.  Hope you can find a new target. 

5m yesterday and a rest day today as legs a bit tired post marathon & from the chiro exercises.  There's an 8m club run tomorrow which I intend to round up to double digits. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Easy 5m here today. Looks like SJ had a good day.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 24
    Joolska hope the recuperation from the nasties has continued. Sounds like the enforced downtime did the trick.
    Wardi Glad the hammy niggle seems to have withstood Barcelona and you are back going well already. The Chiro discoveries will hopefully yield positive results once you focus on them. Hope the race today was enjoyable.
    Jooligan More positive signs you are getting over the latest bout of covid. Good to read. Hope today's race has gone well. An hour of yoga sounds really good. I make do with my little routine I saw on an info graphic. Its basic but I always feel better afterwards.
    OO Good call to run Manchester as a training run. Your rules re the streak. I have run a couple of get-back-going marathons around 3:15ish and I don't really count them haha. Good to read you are able to add some miles.
    LS21 Hope the XC went well? I can imagine it was a mudfest given all the rain. As others have said, 10 miles two weeks out should be fine.
    Steve I wouldn't worry too much about the title of the thread at this point. I'm just happy there is still interest. Sounds like you are there or thereabouts. You'll get great encouragement on your sub3 journey here. Also, don't worry too much about paces in training. This point took me a few years to get my head around. I run by feel now and constantly remind myself there are no medals handed out at the end of a training tempo run. Its the effort that really matters.
    TR Good to read you are starting to feel good and more importantly see improvements in your training sessions. Coming good at just the right time. Lovely stuff. Another 20+ run banked in your favorite conditions. Real character building stuff. Could a train be forming for London then? Is that even possible anymore? I haven't run London since 2009 so not sure how feasible it is to see anyone at the start.
    TT Sorry to read of a reaction to a recent run. Also sorry to read that you will be dns at London. Sounds like the right call under the circumstances. Hope you can get on top of the issues which I am sure is really affecting you with all the setbacks. Sending my best from up here.

Another week completed here without too much trouble. An easier week with Wilmslow half today which I was really happy with how I ran it. 81:23 was a fair performance in breezy conditions but the sun was out so can't complain. 44 miles total for the week including 2 full rest days. 

I decided on a modest warm-up of a couple of miles and then to have a crack to see what my now 50 year old body could manage. Its a faster first half with the second half being lumpier so important not to blast off too quickly to bank time. having said that it is exactly the tactic I think you have to adopt to PB. My PB is 79:14 at this race from 2009 where I attacked the first half and clung on.

I think I am a better runner than 2009 so settled down and opted to run strong throughout and finish feeling good. That's exactly how it panned out. Controlled the pace in the second half and although a positive split finished really strongly and passing lots of people. Feeling in good shape to have a crack at London. If I run it smart I could be close to PB shape I think.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - great stuff, building nicely. You are in good shape.....an m50 I caught late on last week, ran 81min at Fleet today, so we could be in similar shape. London seem to have been spreading the GFA folks accross different starts in the last couple of years, so we'd have to wait to see the outcome of that. I might be in a different place to you as I'm a different AG.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. sounds like a well executed race on a breezy day, congrats and surely a good indicator for London.  Didn't realise you hadn't run it since 2009, around 47,000 finishers now compared with circa 35,000 back in the early 2000's.  It is usually possible to meet up with friends or  fellow paced runners if you're in the same start area.

Paced one of the club fillies round the 8m club run (she's running the Berlin marathon).
    Hard work into the wind for the first 3-4 miles but held on to around 8.15 pace for the duration.  11.5m for the day with warm up & warm down, 50m for the week.
    We also had to negotiate a fleet of Citroën 2CV's on a narrow country lane, tired and exhausted!
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nicely done SJ. Sounds like you judged that to perfection: cracking pace & yet thoroughly enjoyable. 👏
    Good morning’s work Wardi
    1:46:29 for me today at the Forest of Dean Spring Trails Half Marathon to round off my 1st week of training since Covid: 43M (& over 70 on the bike).
    I last ran this race in 2022 in 1:30:38 before going on to run 3:13 in Manchester.
    Assuming I was slightly compromised by Covid still I should be around 3:40 in Newport in 5 weeks.
    Set off with a mate running his first HM aiming for sub2. Started at the back so wasted energy weaving in the first couple of miles & failed to take full advantage of the huge downhill in mile 2: 274ft! Realised I was going to stress him out &/or overstretch him so pulled away gradually after 4M, upped the effort til 7 then held that til 11 when I pushed hard on the final stretch. Mile 12 is a killer with a 136ft climb which ramps right up at the end, there’s a bit more climbing in Mile 13 then the final 400m was round a soft, rutted grassy field & also featured more climbing. Hardly conducive to sprint finishes on tired legs.
  • Options
    runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    LS21 - like the look of the club standards. You've done some mileage there I could only dream of. Pretty sure I get to every marathon wishing I'd done a few more long runs. and yes was podium. super quick throughout with probably 80% PBs.
    OO - that's a hell of a sub 3 streak with everything it takes to make the marathon start line and execute the thing. hopefully an enjoyable run nonetheless. Manchester seems very popular these days.
    Jooligan - good half to round off a good week. sounds like my idea of a nightmare but right up your street I know. hopefully you're able to push on a bit from here.
    Wardi - you're quite the club man! Nice work on pacing duty, shame you can't do the same in Berlin.
    SJ - 1:19 is swift 15 years ago! all the same congrats on the run today. sounds like a nice day out to go with a positive performance. slight cut back week as well so feeling fresh?
    TR - a big ol' week there but nothing I wouldn't expect from you. Good effort on the 21m. Good time on feet banked. you mentioned the calf raises. I do two leg up one leg down with about 60kg of weight on top. Nice one to focus on control.
    TT - sorry about the ongoing struggles. at least it seems like 1 step forward 1 back rather than 2 back?
    Steve - Good luck in your quest. whereabouts are you based. I'm in solihull. have run the Shakespeare full marathon and thought that despite a decent hill and off road on the greenway it was a decent course. hopefully you go quick and hopefully you have company.

Achilles issues at bay for now at least. massage and muscle scraping is a bedtime routine for the moment. 4 miles midweek. midland road relays Saturday (18:01 for 5.06k on a lumpy course) helping us qualify for the nationals in two weeks time which will be on the same course thats only half an hour from home...benefits of living in the Midlands. followed that up with 16 miles today with at least 10 miles marathon effort. I knew I wasn't going to hit paces today but running with a former club mate we were clipping along at a reasonable pace so just kept at it. so I'm chalking that one down as my p&d 16 with 10 at mp. a slower 15 to come this week.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 25
    SJ - That's a sharp time and a well run race, must be a better AG performance that 2009?   I think your right about being in marathon PB shape, as we get older we may not have the speed for HM PB's but the speed endurance is there for marathons.  Very impressive.
    Jooligan - A good effort in the HM considering your recent bout of CV and parkrun.  
    TR - A good solid week and just at the right time re: race day, back to your normal standards!  Well done on the 21m in un-Spring like weather.
    Joe - Thanks. That's a good few days from you, a sharp 5K and a good/pacy 16m run.  Good to see the achilles pain is on the down trend. 
    TT - Shame your missing London, always a big call but I can see why you've called it.
    Wardi - A good looking week, good pacing and quite something to see the 2CVs. 

Thanks for the advice on the sub-3 streak, its stays alive then post Manchester - hoping for that answer. Wise words Jooligan (who would have thought you'd be the forums voice of moderation)! I am going to start with the 3.20 group, and resist the urge to race.  Good news achilles pain is declining bad replaced by a tight hip flexor. So 17 slightly painful miles on Saturday, 35m for the week, which is progress. Same again this week then off to the Canary Islands for the sun on Saturday.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Some great stuff going on in here, and it seems mostly good news from everyone!

wardi - good stuff re the chiro. Sounds like you've got a good way forward there. Nice to see you dusted off the smoking jacket for pacing duties yesterday too.

SteveMac - hello! Please do stick around if you can. Great to have someone else on here at a similar level. I was going to offer advice on the course at Shakespeare (it was my first sub-3 back in 2010), but I see from Jooligan's post that you've already ran it (and rjr beat me to it as well!) Windermere is a decent trot out if you've not done that before? Not as bad as you'd expect (hill-wise). I did it in 2016 for Running Bhoy's Stag Do (ran the whole thing with RB and njord). It was great. We went for a pint at the 20 mile mark in Bowness!

jooligan - well done on the half! That's a great effort after the Covid stuff. Well done!

TR - belting week! Bit of everything there, absolutely bang on. It's almost as if you know what you're doing...

TT - sorry things still seem to be a struggle. Hopefully you can fathom it, get healthy and go from there. Good call re London really. It just takes any temptation to rush things or to try and come back too soon out of the equation.

rjr - glad to see that the achilles seems to be settling down. And well done at the Road Relays. I wasn't at the Northerns, but understand that Jonny Brownlee was leading the opening leg as he'd swapped his Tri suit for his Bingley vest for a change. Good stuff re the 16 with 10 at MP too.

OO - sounds like things are moving in the right direction. And good call re Manchester. Hopefully it's ok there and you get out of it what you need.

SJ - that's a hell of  run there, well done mate!! I was talking to Rich about you yesterday actually. Said you were doing Wilmslow but I wasn't sure if you'd full on race it. I said 'if he does I reckon he'll run about 81 mins' - ha!

Re a train/meeting up at London. As TR says, it depends what start you're on, as it's slightly different now. A lot of the 2'50-3'00 lot were on Green last year which was good. And I found njord, CRAB and Ode pretty much straight away. So in that sense it would be quite easy just to set off together and see how things go. It''s a wave start too, and it seemed much better really. You were running at pace instantly. Bit crowded as you'd expect, but not held up at all.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    A mostly decent week for me. I'm managing this hammy as stated, so I ended up having a couple of zeros just to try and help it a bit. I only really missed the recovery/general aerobic type stuff out though - still trying to do the 2 or 3 key runs as normal.

On Thu I did a medium/long with a few other things chucked in. 14 in total with 3 x 1 mile hard, 3 x 3 min reps and 2 x miles at Mara effort. Mostly ok. The reps were slower than I'd have liked (and a bit slower than when I last did this session), but the MP felt ok. So mostly positives from that.

And then yesterday I did the XC as planned. Met a few mates and we did 11 miles first, then the 10k XC race (with another 2 miles after to give us 19 for the day). All ok. I was happy enough with the XC - ran it hard but didn't bury myself (it was a nothing sort of race for me tbh, just a hard training run) and got out of it what I wanted. Felt quite strong, worked way harder than I would have done if I'd just been on my own, passed quite a few in the second half and enjoyed it. So job done really.

Leg was so so. I think my form causes it. I have a tendency to lean forward from my waist (especially when tired), which thus places way more stress on your hammies. So I've been consciously trying to run a bit more upright and try and bring my hips forward a bit (and drive back a bit more with my elbows). Sort of helping a bit I think. I could feel it on a lot of the climbs yesterday (where I was prob leaning/pivoting forward too much), but it wasn't too bad. So hopefully I can keep it at bay.

Got a TR-esque club session tomorrow (3 min reps), then hopefully another MLR Wed or Thu and then (hopefully) a longish one on Sunday. Not sure whether the other days will involve running or not (depends how the legs feel), but if they do it'll be very sedate!
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    SJ - Yeah I don't worry about general training paces normally, just run to feel. Great HM time there.
    Jools - Good HM there considering. Yes, both did the full in 2022 at Shakespeare.
    TR - I'll check when Abdo is, as it normally clashes with holidays for me. Otherwise I'll target Newport/Boston UK etc for 2025. Great week from you there.
    Joe - Also in Solihull! I did the half there many years ago and then the full in 2022. Good 16 with 10 there.
    LS21 - Yeah, have done the half and full on the Shakespeare course. Good job on the 14 medium long. Yeah not done Windermere before, so that should be a good one, liking the sound of a pint at 20 miles!

So 20m with 14 at MP, averaged 7:02 (so 3:04 pace) for the MP section, so happy with that, compares well with previous campaigns so should be good for sub 85 if the weather stays decent. Then did 12 miles easy on Sunday for a 70 mile week. Did get some sharp pain in my shin after 9 miles on my 12 miler which was a worry, got home foam rolled, then did some heat and ice on it during the evening, which seems to have resolved the pain, but will know for certain tomorrow morning with 14 miles planned if it's an issue or not.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - getting round that HM must show you are getting healthier.

Joe - keep at that rehab, if you were able to do another 5km and the a hard run the next day, it must be improving.

OO - good one on the 17. The hip flexor is from the building back up, you can stretch those which helps. Enjoy the sun.

LS - good stuff on the long run inc XC, defo tight hammy time of the campaign, I noticed mine this week due to the increases.......agreed on the needing to straighten up, I lean forward too.

Steve - I've been doing blocks of 7.0X too, I think it'll convert to sub3 once tapered etc. It's a much less risky training pace.......Abo is Oct 20th (ish), I'm doing Great South that day, after around 18 years since I last ran it.

10 (3 Easy, 7 steady) and 7 for the day, good time on feet.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    TR - Nice mileage! I did Great South a few years back, and remember hitting a headwind in the last couple of miles that felt brutal!!

No issues with shin today, so an easy 14 miles done.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited March 26
    Jooligan - good to see you getting back to it. Well done on the HM. Sounds a good way to run it when working your way back.

TR
    - I've entered Abo, so with you doing GSR on the same day does that mean I can expect all bad weather to be localised around Portsmouth? ;) GSR was a consideration as well, and may still be an option depending on how the next few months go (usually easy to sell an Abo number). I just felt I needed some longer term target to tilt towards.
    Well toughed out on that 21m.

Wardi - you look like you're ticking over well. How are you feeling after the chiro adjustments now? I'm going to book in with an osteopath for a general MOT (slightly different to a chiro, but large overlaps).

sj - thank you. And very nicely done @ Wilmslow. That bodes very well!

rjr - I'd even go as far as to say 1.5 steps forward, 1 step back. The last couple of days have been quite positive. Well done on the relays and the MP run.

OO - good news on the 17, if slightly painful. Enjoy the sun!

LS - your form sounds like mine - my daughter took a photo of me at xc earlier in the year and I looked bloody awful. I'm putting it down to lack of core strength and flexibility (particularly hamstrings), so am building stuff like weights, yoga, and running drills in to address it. Good volume with the xc race, and those key runs look good!

Steve - nice long MP section. I could never get near MP in training so always went with the idea that if I was within 10s/mile of it the effort was about right.

Things seem to have taken a jump forward in the last few days for me here (once I recovered from that run last Thursday, and far too much ouzo Saturday night!).
    Initial results from tests indicate that the stomach issues may have been symptomatic of other stuff rather than the actual problem, and that a lot of this may be down to an extended period of not looking after myself properly (bad coping mechanisms became really bad habits with the stresses of the last couple of years), and because of my fibro and IBS the impact has been significantly more than it would have been otherwise (essentially malabsportion effecting certain hormone and natural steroid levels). 

I've been back on a primarily ketogenic diet for the last few days and it's already showing positive effects, so I'm feeling like I'm on the right path. Still got a bunch more tests to do, but I'm feeling significantly brighter and more energetic already, so fingers crossed!

It feels completely bloody stupid that I was taking such rubbish care of myself, both physically and mentally, that I caused it, but I guess the plus side is if it plays out like that then it's completely in my own hands to fix, so silver linings!
  • Options
    runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    OO - Getting through 17 miles with some pain is no mean feat. Where in the canaries are you headed? We've got an 11 night cruise to the canaries in 4 weeks time!
    LS21 - Yes I saw that. Looks like they qualified for the nationals so might see him there. Yikes to 19 miles with some XC in there. That won't hurt your strength!
    Steve - you can tell I was skim reading. Small world eh? Haven't heard of sharp shin pain in marathon training before but you plant your leg that many times anything can happen. Good work on the mileage.
    TT - I winced at the mention of ouzo. Wouldn't be so hard on yourself, I think we all get into bad habits until we have some sort of big intervention. Great you are feeling more positive. Light at the end of the tunnel and all that.

Went to physio yesterday just to get a professional opinion on things. Easily the most positive trip I think i've ever had, I think mostly due to the fact I have been doing strength work so that's not a stick they can beat me with. He couldn't see any signs of achilles issues or any major tightnesses that might be causing achilles problems. He suggested it might have been a real surface level reaction. I'm leaving the PT sessions i've been doing as it's all just a bit too expensive and hard to fit in to the weekly routine so he's given me 1 strength session and 1 plyometrics type session to do a week plus some daily stretches. All of which is designed to prevent any issues arising which seems sensible in this block.

Rest yesterday. To keep peace with the family i'm trying to do my longer runs during the week, especially as work is more flexible at the moment. So i brought my weekend medium/long run forward to today. I was prepared to reduce it down a bit as muscles still felt a little sore from sunday but cracked out 14 miles at around 7:10 mileing. First 9 miles were a joy in the sunshine, the final 5 were tough. Happy I now have the rest of the week pretty easy. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 26
    TT - Good to have the Abo race as a focus.  Yes, localised flooding around the GSR in October.  :D  Good you taking the steps you are.  No more ouzo.
    TR - Good way to crank out 17m.
    LS - Bit of a super Sunday, hope the 3 minute sessions turned out well.
    Steve - A good week and a very decent 20 miler.  
    Joe - Positive from the physio and nice one on the 14m, running in the sun, soo much better. Off to Los Cristianos, Tenerife. The cruise sounds bliss, you will probably dock in Santa Cruz, if so, have a ponder about visiting Las Terrisitas beach.  

6m earlier with 5m @ 6.40.  Left leg still not right, when running not getting  a full leg stride, due to the hips or bum cakes.  But hopefully 24-25C in the sun will sort that. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. the entry to Abo should give you a decent focus.  I suppose we all let go now & again but more risky in your case with the fibro I would guess.  Good to see you a bit more upbeat anyway.  I only tend to drink Ouzo in Greece!  Re. the chiro, yes I do feel a bit more fluid and apparently I'm running more upright now which is positive.  Another appointment on Thursday. 

RJR.. I'm often amazed how runners with young kids fit their training in,  Still 14m midweek is a good effort.  Must be a relief that the achilles isn't too much to worry about.

OO.. my left foot was landing 1-2 inches behind my right when my problems were at their worst.  My chiro really dug into my right hip which was quite stiff - mobility already much better.  Enjoy the hols in the sun!

TR.. 10+7m is a good double, as you say decent time on feet.

SteveMac.. 20m with14m @ MP is very impressive, nice work following that up with 12m & 14m runs too. 

LS21.. 19m with a XC race in the middle is good going, that 14m MLR sounded tough too.  Yes the smoking jacket still gets the occasional outing!

5m easy yesterday, light winds & a bit of sun today so got a 7.5m + 4.2m double done.