Options

Runner returning after illness - replacement for NB 1080?

RobM77RobM77 ✭✭
Pre-2022 I was a pretty typical 90-110km a week road runner, racing half marathons in around 80-83 minutes and 10k in 37-38min. I then had Covid, which turned into Long Covid and the most horrific two years of my life. I'm now improving and have started slowly jogging 1km every other day and can feel my body starting to recover.

I used to use New Balance 1080s in a wide fit for my daily and tempo shoe and loved them - I liked the firm feeling of contact with the ground, lack of excessive cushioning, and the width that let my (width 4E!) feet spread. I went through dozens of them, with a new pair every six weeks. Now though I've heard this has morphed into a cushioned and narrower shoe, which I definitely don't want. Firmer shoes = no niggles for me. Can anyone recommend anything? Firm and a wide fit? I've looked at Seth DM's matrix, Ben Parkes etc and the shoes they recommend are all std/narrow.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    My latest pair of 1080's is the version 12.   Mine aren't wide fitting as they've now corrected the width problems that they had with the version 10's.   So the forefoot is quite roomy, I assume the same will be for the wider versions.

I would suggest you go to a retailer and try on a few pairs of shoes, there are far too many shoes on the market to specifically advise.   If you can't get to a shop ask on the Chat on the retailer's websites, try Sportsshoes and Start Fitness.   The fact that you want a wider version will limit choice I expect but they should be able to advise.
  • Options
    RobM77RobM77 ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. The reason for my question here is that retailers usually don't carry the stock to suit a wide foot, so I have to mail order. Usually they'll just have one or two highly cushioned shoes in my size, like the Brooks Glycerin.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a pair of Glycerins, I like them,  I bought the wide fitting and they're very comfortable. 

• Options
    RobM77RobM77 ✭✭
    Thanks. I used to run in the Glycerin; I think I went through about 5 or 6 pairs. It was an excellent shoe - well made, comfortable, and a great fit; but for me in the end I found it a bit too heavy and cushioned. I lacked a feeling of contact with the ground, and of energy return when trying to skip along with little effort. I also had significantly fewer niggles when I switched to firmer shoes (it sounds counter-intuitive, but there's some solid evidence for that), to the point where with the 1080 I don't think I had any issues at all. I'm still on the lookout for a firm shoe like the V11 1080.

I've done some research since I posted and the Hoka Mach 6 and New Balance 880 keep coming up as 1080 >v11 replacements. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've never tried the Hoka Mach, a friend uses them  and says they are firm, unlike most of Hokas shoes which are very well/plush cushioned. 

I've just retired a pair of NB 880s, they're well cushioned but with a firm type of cushioning with a more rigid heel and less flexible than the current 1080's.  

I think it's going to be a case of trial and error for you to find a suitable shoe.