• Options
    DubairunnerDubairunner ✭✭✭
    Great pics Jack, envious looks a great place to run

29.4 3.11
    30.4 6.34

YTD 483.19 miles

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Jack those photos are fabulous. Feet are good, I have a standing 10 week appointment with my chiropodist, who used to be a medic in the RAF and is used to fit and health people who do exercise!

Donnie Berlin is wonderful, you booked?

I was out in my shorts this morning, there is a strange thing in the sky, last seen in Vietnam. Run, followed by a nine mile walk and PT session.

YTD: 214.08
  • Options
    A very slow 7.07 in 38 degrees 

YTD 490.26 miles
  • Options
    Still waiting for a London update Harmander!
  • Options
    And a 5k on the dreadmill

YTD 493.37 miles 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai... Well done for pushing on; almost at 500'!

JackFW... Looks like a great running location!! Just about to pass 500'! Great!

TT... Well done on passing 200' plus the walking!!!
    My 'split runs' are usually done for a reason; testing different shoes, time constraints, bulking the weekly distance, picking the best of the weather, and so on. They don't take the place of a single, long run, but can help with building towards longer runs. The only negatives that I can think of are; the shower-time/ stretch-time are doubled, and possibly the laundry!

Should have rested today, after two consec. days, but I was feeling good, and the weather was fine, so went out for another 7 miles! Shouldn't have trusted the 'feelings'; seemed like I was running on empty after a couple of miles!

YTD: 0592' .
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    TT, I have never not run in shorts! A product of the environment, I suppose. Glad you got to see the sun again. It’s beautiful when it’s on show. 

My sentiments exactly, DR. Hate the treadmill but understand why you do it given you are probably avoiding the same sun that TT is yearning for. A strange world.

MrM2, maybe a day off will refresh the batteries. Impressive miles from you as per usual.

A 23.5km run today Trento to Rovereto, running along the river through the valley and mostly in the rain. Caught the train back and gave everyone as much of a wide berth as possible given the state of my running jacket and top. My last Italian run.

YTD - 513 miles.

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Jack I think my yearning for sun is not as bad as usual thanks to going to Sir Lanka in January. I have a feeling that I will be heading to sunshine in winter again. Sounds like a fab run, where are you off to next?

DR I find it interesting that you run much further outside!

MrMr2 I think I am going to see about the split runs. Thinking of doing one in the morning, then one before or after a gym session. Let's see how it goes.

The sun is out, we are just rejoicing in that news!!!!!!!!!

YTDR: 222.54
    YTDW: 872.37
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    edited May 3
    Jack lovely pics and a great running backdrop.

Great running from everyone good to see.

A bit of a down week for me with just two 6 mile runs although the one this morning had 20 mins of top end speed intervals.

Cal the lactate test involved a prick of the ear every 3 mins.
    The purpose of the test I suppose was to find out my training paces with the intention of improving my lactate tolerance so holding faster paces without going beyond the lactate turnpoint.
    Interestingly turned out I haven’t been running tempo/threshold runs as hard as I should be able to 😐

YTD 496 miles.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr C: The lactate test sounds genuinely interesting. I'm about to google it.

TT: amazing amount of walking. We were talking about the Yorkshire three peaks at work yesterday. Have you done that one?

Mr MM and DR: great miles. Keep going.

Harmander: last seen somewhere near the Cutty Sark? Seriously, hope everything is ok.

4 runs this week - 4,2 (TM), 7.2 (in an hour), 4.1 (TM) and 7.1 (in a bit more than an hour)

Ytd: 
  • Options
    TT never been a treadmill fan, only bought it during Covid as we weren’t allowed out to exercise and running laps in my garden was getting tedious. Often thought it was a waste of £1.5k!

3.5 5.33
    5.5 4.51

YTD 503.21 miles

• Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    TT, I’m in Nice. First run logged in France - a 10km run along the promenade this afternoon.

DR, congrats on the 500 milestone. MrC is not far away, I see.

Donnie, are you back to pre-injury fitness? 

YTD - 519 miles.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    JackFW...Great way to enjoy your travels; 23.5k riverside run in Italy, and now a 10km prom. run in Nice!!!

MrC... almost over the 500mile line.

Dubai... Nicely over the 500 miles!

Have had a few knee-twinges this week, when walking upstairs, but it doesn't happen while I'm running. Not sure what has brought it on but I have a bit of history with that knee. I can remember running the Rotterdam marathon wearing a knee support, more than 20 years ago. Not sure which year it was but I ran the 2001 (in 3h55m) and the 2003 (in 3h58m).

Had a couple of rest days before running 8 miles yesterday. That took my week to 30 miles, and my year total to 600. It has been an extra busy week; family joining us from Liverpool, Bristol, Surrey and Zurich, to mark my 80th. Also looking at WAVs (wheelchair accessible vehicles) to benefit MrsM who is really struggling these days.

Enjoy the holiday week-end.

YTD:... 0600' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TT, I guess I would need a scan to find out huh?
    Jack, not any more - all our stats got deleted (including most events). :( I'm well down the table though.
    Lovely scenery.

Had a rubbish 3 miler midweek and then went to the new Wakehurst parkrun (a botanical gardens in Sussex) on Saturday. Beautiful parkrun with lots of flowering trees, but some steep inclines so found it a bit tough. Hip wasn't great.

YTD: 220
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Happy New Age Group,  MrM2! Time for some races or parkruns whilst the youngest in the age group?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Happy birthday MrM2! Hope you enjoyed the celebrations.

Alehouse, how’s the recovery?
  • Options
    Jack we spent a couple of glorious weeks in Nice in 2011, remember running along the promenade des Anglais in the mornings and some drinks in the evening at the Negresco hotel, would love to go back.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Thanks for asking, DR! Making progress with weight gain and after ten weeks have managed to put ten pounds on! Am now able to walk about a mile without crutches. Have had two PRP injections where, in brief, they inject some of your own blood into the wound; will be another month or so before they can tell whether things have worked. Physio happy with progress and from the next couple of days am allowed to swim!

I, also, have run along the prom in Nice. 1975 when I was camping nearby. Two of us ran at midday in August when it was roasting degrees. The other two were supposed to pick us up during the run but couldn't see us...so got some bottles of beer and went on the beach! We were not happy when we eventually found them...
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    MrM2, Happy Birthday. A massive milestone- you are an inspiration to us all. And congrats on 600. Another massive milestone. 

DR and Alehouse, I had a couple of beers at one of the beachside bars last night. It was very civilised and enjoyable, and I followed it up with another run today - a touch over 11km but headed in the opposite direction which took me up a big hill towards Villafranche Sur Mer. It was tough going - climbing is not my forte - but there was a rewarding view of the next cape. I had a dip in the water afterwards which was a bit chilly but refreshing nonetheless. Next stop is the in-laws holiday house in Provence. Perhaps some running along vineyards? 

YTD - 526 miles. 
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    P.S. Alehouse, it was 20 and overcast but still felt quite warm. I can’t imagine running there in August! 
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrC very interested in the lactose threshold test, was it at a university? Also interesting that you are not running hard enough in certain circumstances, I too think I spend too much time at a moderate pace, not enough hard running and not enough easy running. Will be good to hear how you get on.

DR our TM was the best £1.5 we spent in lockdown! With the weather as it is up here it means we always know we can do something. well done on the 500.  

Jack love Nice, spent a lot of my very mis-spent youth in the South of France!

MrMr2 Happy Birthday!!!!!! Well done on the 600 miles as well, hopefully the car searching goes well. 

Cal there are tests a decent physio would know and can do, then, yes, unfortunately it is an MRI to confirm. 

Alehouse wonderful to hear from you, sounds as if progress is being made. 

Run this morning, sandwiched between a 21 mile walk yesterday, and a 15 mile walk this afternoon. Finding some amazing places to walk, and the bus service round here is much better than I ever thought.

YTDR: 227.66
    YTDW: 922.44
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday MrM2! I hope you have many more fabulous years.
    No more running from me and I've cancelled tomorrow's race. Too muddy to risk slipping with this hip. 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse...Thanks. Sounds like good progress. (I ought to get back to swimming...) Haven't got any runs lined up, but could be tempted to my local parkrun if it ever gets safe to run!
    Dubai... Thanks. We had a very good time with family. Very sober but not subdued!
    JackFW... Thanks. You've certainly found some great running locations!
    TT... Thanks. I hope to be testing out a vehicle next week.
    Cal... Thanks. Wakehurst sounds like a great running location! Yes...I hope I've got some more running ahead of me; I've just ordered two pairs of trainers. (Nothing experimental; just a couple of repeats of Cumulus and Wave Riders.)

Another couple of rest days before today's 8 mile run. But seem to have got into a bit of a rut with fading cadence and pace in second half of run. Perhaps the new shoes will come to my rescue? or perhaps I just need to start back at square one and re-build, slowly?

YTD: 0608' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Do you do any strength training, MrM2? That might be your missing link.
    In other news, going to the docs tomorrow. Hoping they can refer me for a scan.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cal... You could be right. Almost all cross-training, and associated activities are history, mainly due to time constraints and limitations, but I could reduce my running and try to fit other things in?!
    Hope you can get some sort of answer to whatever it is that has bugged you for so long.
    You seem to be clocking up some good miles on the bike. Do you enjoy that? or is it 'just' energy burning?

Another slow run today, in superb weather! Just 7 miles. I had hoped to do 8 miles but had been flogging a dead horse for at least two miles, so cut my losses.
    (That sort of experience has only been with me over the last three years. Put it down to age? Or is there a Covid link? Or the fact that we moved house three years ago and my caring-workload has built up steadily over that period? And I haven't mentioned Sciatica, etc.... )

YTD: 0615' .
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2 I am going to agree with Cal, cross training! How about looking at 'fitting it in', squats when waiting for the kettle to boil, lunges and standing on one leg when cleaning your teeth?

Cal hopefully the appointment will lead to a step forward.

Quick run this morning, Beverley 10km on Sunday, hoping for under an hour!

YTD: 233.70 
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: happy birthday. I'll be a very happy bunny to be running your mileage and times at 80. Great work. 

Jack: happy holidays. Sounds fab. You asked if I'd recovered fitness after the Jan & Feb lay off. I'd say yes, but would like a race, ideally a HM  to test myself. My longest run of the calender year is 7.2 so need to up those. 

TT: enjoy Beverley. I'm thinking about walkington 10k but the Friday night puts me off. 

5.0 on the road, 3.2 x 2 on the treadmill. 

Ytd: 275.5
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Five more this evening making 

Ytd:280.5
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Donnie I am taking Beverley as the chance to run round Beverley without having to avoid crowds, cars and buses! Friday night is not my best time to run, so at the moment I have not entered Walkington. You seem to be running really well at the moment. 

Cal how was the GP?

Harmander anywhere??? 

Out for a short run this morning, sun is still shining, shorts still out. 

YTD: 237.95
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Two 10km runs Wed and Friday through the rolling hills and vineyards around Provence. 

Life is pretty good here, although I am not feeling the best with the excessive consumption of various pastries and wine. It was tough going today running up hills on gravel and stone tracks. Almost perished. 

YTD - 538 miles.