Options

What to do about chips in carbon fibre frame

Comments

• Options
    Aaaah - the old favourite technical tool - the bang-stick.

Ever done that thing when you get new pedals and new shoes and you click them together without having a crank on the end of the pedal ? Blummin hard to seperate the devils !

What model spds are they Candy ?
  • Options
    er, sort of bluey silver ones cougie

the shoes and the pedals are both a year old, and i have no proof of purchase any more, so i doubt that i'd get them changed??

i fancy a run rather than a ride tonight anyway, so i'll treat myself to new shoes and new pedals tomorrow lunchtime and then go for a blast tomorrow night

so the concensus is what? look or time?
  • Options
    I've ridden Look for erm, 17 years now. Not had a problem and I use the black fixed cleats.

I do have Time Atacs on my winter bike though - as they were great on my MTB.
  • Options
    OOOOO! BLACK CLEATS? do you have any knees left????

Time road pedals are good as are look though the advantage time have is that the float is in the pedal.

I also use time shoes, they are dear but very stiff and comfortable. Though again so are some of the other brands. Even your favorite of the moment Specialized have a good NEW road shoe with carbon soles.
  • Options
    Yeah - and pretty sexy they are too ! ;-)

Never got round to trying the red cleats. I had the first models that Look made - remember the days of Hinault v Lemond ?

I like Sidi shoes, had plenty of them, and also Look, Shimano and Adidas for the winter bike. Riding Vittorias with Looks at the mo' although I should treat myself to a new pair this year. But not paying the silly money prices that some are ! Eeek !
  • Options
    i use the red with Specialized races shoes
  • Options
    The reds i use have a 6deg float as opposet to 9degs on the black
  • Options
    Ahem, I like my spd's mainly because the name is only one letter away from being Vivians hamster.

They are small and recessed into the shoe so no skidding onto your @rse in transition.Them look things look lethal to me.
  • Options
    Vyvyan with a Y!
  • Options
    hello Andy, not many folks about, so I usualy flit around posting insults for people to find in the morning
  • Options
    are you trying to put old man melik out of a job??
  • Options
    my spds weren't recessed mo, thin hard plastic sole with the cleat thing screwed to the bottom... maybe that was the problem, clogging around on the concrete in them too much when i was faffing aroung getting ready to go out cycling

i think the new ones will have a 'no walking in' rule
  • Options
    My shoes are shimano ones and have good grip for running in transition and standing on picket lines etc.

Yeah what is it with you and Richard- it's almost like you're married?
  • Options
    I've just been lurking on the American site, not much going on though.
  • Options
    the americans will all be driving home at this time of the evening
  • Options
    I think one or two are fighting with Swerve on the Dumb americans thread.
  • Options
    ah ok mo, are yours the 'commuter' shoes with proper soles that you can walk around in?

a bike shop bloke once told me that they gave slightly less pedalling efficiency, but i cant see why if they come with a hard sole (inside)?

i'll go to evans tomorrow and see what they recommend
  • Options
    I dunno the guy in the shop said a lot of triathletes and himself use that type, and I was after something without the big plasticky lumps on the bottom as I was using trainers up to that point and didn't want to have to slow down in transition. Another great thing about them is that they have only one strap of velcro to mess with, and a smaller one that just overlaps with no looping, very quick and easy to get on and off.
  • Options
    makes sense actually..... i got mine from a sniffy road bike shop, y'know the type who look down on triathletes as lumpen luddites

i will do some research (phone up the bloke at trisports letchworth... he was a mine of useful info when i got my new trek)

what model spds do you have? my ones were annoying because they always rotated so that they were upside down and you had to roll them over with your foot to click in

do some stay the right way up?

is this the 'float' that will and jeffrey were banging on about earlier??
  • Options
    err, don't know what you mean. Mine don't do any of that and I have them set quite loose as I would panic if they didn't release easily. The pedal is double sided so it doesn't matter which way up it is when you stick your foot on it, basically I am an idiot so it has to be simple.
  • Options
    Float is the angle that you can wiggle your foot at before it releases from the pedal.

My looks with black cleats are pretty rigid - so once I'm clicked in, my foot can't move. Other brands let the foot rotate slightly for comfort.

Candy - the getting your foot in thing will come with time. Except when you race and you'll forget everything you ever knew about the bike, and will be lucky to get on the bike in the right direction. But that's a 50/50 chance.
  • Options
    i got pretty used to it cougie as i had those pedals fitted for over ages, but its one of those unnecessary annoyances i'd rather get rid of, having to spin it round every time i set off

i must be getting grouchy in my old age
  • Options
    right i've converted to look - new sidis and several sets of pedals of varying swankiness depending which bike they are for

and the dufuss at evans forgot to charge me for the shoes, which i noticed when i checked the receipt outside

and the even bigger dufuss here went back into the shop and pointed out their error

d'oh
  • Options
    and this big flat single sided pedals will be much easier to flip over than the small spherical spd single sided pedals ithat tried to kill me, too
  • Options
    Oh that's good. I can play on your bike !

So much easier if you have the same pedal system !

Bad news on the chopper though. Have you seen the new pics ? Sheeeesh.
  • Options
    yeah, the new chopper looks as sh*te as specialized kit - i went to halfords to order one, but they had one in the flesh and i changed my mind when i saw it... yuk

nothing like the new Yamaha R1.... i went into a dealers i happened to be passing, just to see what it looked like, and with absolutely no intention of buying one, but by the time i left i had inadvertently ordered one - woo hoo it arrives tomorrow, so if you dont see me again then i'm probably dead
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
  • Options
    You inadvertently ordered a motor bike ? Tee hee.

But on a serious note - can you bequeathe your new bike to me please - just in case you get hit with a falling piano.

Hi Jj. Like the nursemaidy outfit. Hubba hubba !
  • Options
    motor- or push-?
  • Options
    at least it'll not have cleats