Options

Orienteering?

Are there any orienteers out there? I used to dabble about 5 years ago, used to do W21S distances. I wasn't into running at the time though, so it was more of a slog throw the undergrowth than proper racing!

Anyway, I have recently taken up running - I'm doing a 5K in 4 weeks time.

Now I'm gettig into the swing of the running lark, I'm thinking of going orienteering again.

My question is - if I am looking at doing a 10K in Autumn, is orienteering compatible with my training or should I just concentrate on one thing? I know there won't be many events on overthe summer anyway, but I'd like to hear from others to see what their experience of mixing orienteering with 'proper' running is.

Comments

• Options
    Yes! Orienteering is super cross-training, you are doing strengthening cross-country running and sharpening your mind at the same time. Plus it gives you a break from the regular grind of plain running training.
  • Options
    Did a 3.5k event yesterday. I'd class that as equivalent to a 3 or 4 mile run on the road, if we're talking equivalent effort. First event I've done for about 20 years, really enjoyed it! I'd probably treat it as a hilly fartlek session. Certainly worked the muscles more than an ordinary run, I had to high step over brambles and bracken, and there were a couple of log hurdles.

Go for it, littlemissgreedy, I think it will definitely help your training, and I plan to do more events as training myself.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Go for it, its off road and less damaging. I've usually found its a bit like fartlek too. You know, a few moments resting, scratching your head trying to work out which way to then next control than a manic dash through the forest.

As a general rule I take about as long to do an orienterring event in kms as I would to do the same distance in miles. i.e a 10km orenteering event takes me about as long as a 10mile road run.

I usually do colour coded events, and frequently do 'green' courses.
  • Options
    I started out on this last November. I find it greta cross-training as above and more especially the soft surfaces are kind on the joints. I don't run as hard as I would in races and often use it as a gentle effort the day before a road race.

I do green courses and always make at least one BIG mistake that I look back and laugh at.

Go for it LMG.
  • Options
    i dont do any events but do like to do some treking in the hills / mountains - normaly aim to carry a large(ish) pack

tis great x-training
  • Options
    Thanks all - once I get my 5k out of the way, I'll be looking for local events...
  • Options
    i recently contacted my local club.. and intend to go along to some of their events.