Options

Barns Green Half Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hi Billy, There are 5 waterstops at the race. They are at the beginning, the end and 3 in the middle at approximately the 3, 5 and 9 mile marks.

I'll let someone else comment on the cakes - there is a cakestall booked for the event.
  • Options
    For the first time, the 2004 Barns Green Half Marathon will be attended by a Professional Photographer taking photos around the course.

Pip - those Purple & Black tights could be famous!

If you would like to view and/or purchase any photos after the race, please visit www.antbliss.com. The results page on the Barns Green website will also carry a link directly to the photographer's website.
    (£3.49 for a 5"x7" photo +p&p)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys - I think it's largely down to the very poor state of my old trainers - cream crackered is what the guy in the shop called them and he wasn't exaggerating !!But they'll have to do for Bounds green -

Billy B not sure about how many water stops - and defo haven't heard about any cakes - but I could bring some choc chunk cookies - I've been selling baking them and selling them at work to raise money for Cancer Research in addition to the race sponsorship I've raised - some people are seriously addicted to them already !!!
  • Options
    Neil- a lot of people who have sponsored me have asked for photographic evidence - but the question is can the phpictures be computer enhanced b4 general viewing - at least a red face toned down -by a few shades - or black and white even better - although that wouldn't show Pips new tights off to their best advantage !!
  • Options
    Antbliss has been at nearly every race I have attended lately....I feel like I am being stalked!

Diane if you go to the Joggy, ask to speak to Sam, I am sure he will help you especially if some people feel they are not getting the attention they deserve. I tend to go to Run, mainly because it is nearer and easier to park.
  • Options
    Dips... it was Sam who sold me my dodgy pair!! He just didn't seem interested in making sure they were right for me - was paying more attention to a young lad buying a pair of racers who was being served by someone else.

I haven't been back since!!
  • Options
    Minnie- I doubt I could sustain a 7-minute pace for very long- I'm planning to just jog this race, like I did in the Lewes 10. My racing strategy since I was on the cross-country team at school has always been to go slowly and let all the people who start off too fast burn out and fall behind. In the Lewes 10 I did that and then speeded up for the last 2 miles or so...

Diana- I'd try taking them back. The Jog Shop have been really good when I've been in so far, and I think ANY shop would have to listen to a complaint about running shoes, because the dangers of getting injured are quite real.. Dips made a good point about compensating for your old shoes if they were dodgy. I was doing this and, according to coach running a lot slower as a consequence. Maybe use the old ones for the race, but try some shorter easier runs to see how the new ones progress?
  • Options
    Diana,
    Do bring the choc chunk cookies, they sound delicious, I'll definitely buy some.
  • Options
    Dips - I am Stalking you :-)))))

With regards to the photographs:
    I'll be just at the point where the second loop starts (just after the 6 mile point).
    I'm thinking of sticking there through the whole event as I can then also get puictures of you at the 12 mile point as you come back.

I could go to the finish later on- but that means everyone who takes more than 50 minutes to get 6 miles will be only caught at the finish, i.e. only one photo opportunity.

So the question for the forum is :
    would you rather pictures at the end which present difficult lighting conditions, with the sun behind you, possible sillouettes instead ?
    or
    two pictures at the 6 and 12ish mile marks ?

regards
    AntBliss
  • Options
    Anthony,
    don't forget the question from Diana...
    what are the digital enhancement capabilities of your camera and is it possible to tone down shades of red...?

:-)

Neil.
  • Options
    Jane - is that your race number or your cookie order ?
  • Options
    Neil,

If I know Diana's Race number, I'll see what enhancements I can give her...

It's a Weird Science this photo stuff.

AB

p.s. I need help giving out fliers at the end, any volunteers ?
  • Options
    'fraid I can't help you there.
    I'll be busy producing the results and getting the prizegiving ready..Sorry!
  • Options
    Neil, we'll catch up on Sunday - but make sure I'm there for the Prizes OK !

cheers
  • Options
    Pip, okay so you have abandoned your 1:40 target, it's probably a good idea to jog and enjoy the moment.

As for the photographs. What is this idea that funny looking, tormented, red-faced people gasping for breath make good objects to photograph? Is someone selling these pictures to the Couch Potato Bi-montly as a warning example?
  • Options
    Neil my race numbers is 419 - maybe I should just wear a mask though as halloween and all - then my red dface would not show- might get slightly hot though.

Pip I think I'll give the tnew trainers a few shorter runs next week and if still disatisfied take them back - thing is I've got wide feet with high arches apparently so choice is more ltd. i'm told .

Has anyne seen the weather for sunday yet on BBC sight says - cloudy and 13degrees - with poor visibility - ( maybe that will solve photograhic issues !!)
  • Options
    Local paper and radio say fine weekend, paper says clouds/sun on Sunday 14c (57f)

Lovely today, warm and sunny.
  • Options
    Hi Minnie&me,

well there's two reasons for taking photographs:

1. Proof of your achievement for you
    2. A Service for Organisers who are generally to busy running the event
    oh and 3. I enjoy doing it (photos that is)

I hadn't thought of Blackmail, nor Couchpotato monthly, but that's a good idea...

Do go and have a look on the website to see what you can look like.. I do try (as a fellow athlete) to take pictures of people looking as athletic as possible ! You might be pleasantly surprised what can result.

www.AntBliss.com

cheers
    Anthony

• Options
    :)
    All right Anthony, I will wave at you when I pass you and your camera ;)
  • Options
    Just thought I'd pull everyone's numbers together - any more out there???

HS - 648 (haven't decided on my outfit yet!!)
    Dips 697 - Blue B&H running Sisters vest
    Diana- 419 (must have been early& hope this is my lucky no:) Purple and black tights and top - old trainers - new iones are possibly causing me greif
    Matty H - 713 for me (probably bright red top).
    Pipistrelle - I'm 1009, I think. I might have got that wrong....

I've STILL not decided on my outfit... don't think my legs would look to great in these purple and black tights that seem rather popular!!

That's assuming I'll be there as I've got a recurrance of a bit of a calf problem!! Will be gutted if I can't run!!
  • Options
    Nickdubyah - 659
    Diana- 419 (must have been early& hope this is my lucky no:) Purple and black tights and top - old trainers - new iones are possibly causing me greif
    Pipistrelle - I'm 1009, I think. I might have got that wrong....
  • Options
    Neil thanks for the info on the water stations

Diana bring those cookies, i'm sure you will raise a fortune

Lets all hope the weather holds, sounds like ideal conditions at the moment

BB
  • Options
    HS - sorry to hear about the calf problem - hope -it mends quickly.

Dips - I feel really bad - missed tonights ghostly run - really wanted to go but my better half -put me off with talks of catching flu/cold pre Sunday - after all the support people have given my fundraising - I see his point but feel lousy for not turning up !!! sorry - hope you had fun . went to the gym and did a good run on the treddie - first decent run since last weeks injury niggles. I reckon it's a couple of days rest now til Sunday- then bring it on !!!

Billy B - - cookies are moving quickly -might have to bake some more on saturday!!
  • Options
    Thats Fine Diana.

About 20 of us weaving through the lanes and back streets of town, some in halloween gear!! Then back to the clubhouse for mulled wine and cake.....good training night all in all!
  • Options
    quick question - am planning on running this on Sunday, it's my first half marathon, should I now rest completely until then - or is it ok to do some core strength gym work??
  • Options
    Hi Emma, if it was me - preparing for my first half marathon I'd be going for the rest option.

I'm sure the other forumers will give you lots of advice too, but make sure you pace yourself and don't get swept away with the excitement at the start. (I still remember my first London Marathon - it was great for the first 20 miles...) :-(

Good luck on Sunday - make sure you enjoy it! Neil.
  • Options
    Emma

Not much to be gained in to much mileage now, possibly very easy couple of miles on saturday but would not recommend any more than that.

Big thing on the day is not to start too fast, you can always make a little bit up later on if you are feeling good.

I would suggest to try and run the first 2-3 miles at 10 secs a mile slower than your hoped for pace and see how you feel from there.

As Neil says , most of all enjoy the day, best of luck.

BB
  • Options
    I think my number is 7005 but, judging by the others I haven't remembered that correctly...
  • Options
    AlfieAlfie ✭✭✭
    Hi

Haven't had a chance to contribute to this thread, but hope everyone has a good run.

I'm no. 1061 by the way! See uou Sunday.

So I think this is the current list:

Diana - 419 (must have been early & hope this is my lucky no:) Purple and black tights and top - old trainers - new ones are possibly causing me grief
    Nickdubyah - 659
    Pipistrelle - 1009, I think. I might have got that wrong....
    Jane B - 7005 but, judging by the others I haven't remembered that correctly... (probably 1005)
    Alfie - 1061