Options

£2K to spend on bike - what would you get?

I've got £2,000 to spend on a racing bike.

I've obviously been doing some looking around and I prefer bikes with classic geometry. I've got one model in mind but I would be very interested to know what people think is a great bike for this kind on money.

Comments

• Options
    I'd go backpacking in Cambodia.
  • Options
    I doubt there is really an answer JRM - it does depend on what you want from a bike. That depends partly on what you like, what sort of rider you are and what you want to use it for.

If this is a one off purchase you want to last for a long time then what about an Airborne Titanium with a 10 speed campag group set - should be forgiving and last a long time. I've never ridden an Airborne one but I know a guy with one and I like my titanium Litespeed - rides well and the bare titanium finish lasts well.

It is a lot of money to spend on a bike but if you've got it I wouldn't say don't spend it - I spent a grand second hand on mine and have easily got my money's worth. On the other hand I know a guy selling a DeRosa Merak and he's hardly ridden it.
  • Options
    depends what you want it for, as Pops says

personally i'd probably look for a second hand frame and add trick bits if you are insisting on spending £2000

lol - i was going to say get a pair of bonty xxx-lites for climbing races, and zipp 909s for flat races - but that comes to £2000 just on wheels.

but really, it completely depends what its for. if its IM, you want to spec it out for comfort. if you focus on olympic distance, then you want to kit it out for speed. either way i probably wouldn't spend the ehole £2k on the bike
  • Options
    although, that said, save another £600 and you can get the best bike in the world - Trek Equinox 11
  • Options
    I`d get a Raleigh chopper,with handlebar streamers
  • Options
    It would have to be the new 2005 10sp Ultegra Cervelo Dual - An awesome bike for the price £1499
  • Options
    the cervelo p3 is ok, but still a bit gay. all the other cervelos make quentin crisp look like geoff capes. still, each to their own.
  • Options
    i must admit that one of the serpies at IM Florida had a p3, and he went pretty fast...

...mind you, i whooped his ass good and proper on my equinox. oh yeah.
  • Options
    would you believe that i had a dream about cervelo p3's last night?

brain damaged, i think
  • Options
    check out the new quintana roo lecero bike on the TFN web site....
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    I dreamed I was in an Aston Martin Vantage, and couldn't get out.
  • Options
    Jj I need you on Slog thread NOW!
  • Options
    Thanks Dodge but backpacking is not an option for me unless I give up my job.

I'll have a look at the Airborne and the Cervelo.

I'll be using the bike for triathlon and time trialling so that means racing for up to one hour. I have in mind the new Trek Madone 5.2 which I really like and have been told it offers a lot for your money compared to similar European bikes. I suspect that some people will think this shows a lack of imagination. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has the Trek 5200.
  • Options
    I am definately with Candy on this one (albeit I find that a bit disturbing) - but the Equinox 11 is one sexy beast and once Winter training is over that is precisely what my skinny little posterior will be sat upon.
    However, I must admit the Lucero did briefly make me think again... but as I have only seen this steed in a magazine and on the internet, plus the fact that this is the first edition of the model, I have decided to stick with my original decision which is tried....tested and improved for 2005.
  • Options
    excellent L(ns)FW

does that mean there will be two 11s at IMCH then? cool

there were two of them at IMFLA, and quite bizarrely i got a cab back to the airport with a random stranger who happened to be the owner of the other one. and he did 9:5X which just proves its the best bike in the world.
  • Options
    Wow. as a penniless student who has just blown week's food budget of £15 on a new bike (pink raleigh ladies shopper, aerodynamic basket, sturmey archer gears) - could i suggest that you leave a bit by for a proper lock?
    & send food parcels - please!
    enjoy it :)
  • Options
    You mentioned an interest in the Trek 5200. i noticed aw cycles have £300 off on this model which would leave you plenty of extra money for pedals, aero bars etc.

Click here for link

• Options
    What bike do you have now ? For 2k you can have a real superbike.

Steel, Carbon, Aluminium, Titanium - or a mix of them - everythings there for you.

I see you say you want it for TTing up to an hour - so that's a Lo Pro bike you need ? Or are you going to train on it as well ?
  • Options
    Trek Equinox 11.....
    At least you get 2 words and a number for your money.

Candy
    IMCH ????????????????????? hmmmmm
  • Options
    Iron Man CHswitzerland, of course
  • Options
    Candy,

whereabouts did you buy your Equinox ?

I travel to the US quite a bit with work and was thinking of buying the bike over there and bringing it back with me (given the good exchange rate it seems you can save quite a bit)... Anyone know of any big probs with doing this (apart from VAT)..

• Options
    we were discussing this last week. we realised that between us we were veterans of dozens of overseas races, yet nobody had ever had their bike looked at.

so take some scuffed tyres with you, and some bottle cages, and some home made race numbers printed on sticky paper, and an empty bike box.

put the cages on, squirt a bit of gel around the hadlebars, dirty the frame, stick a race number on, pack it in the box.... and tell British customs that you've been racing.

save the vat and the customs duty
  • Options
    ...i got mine from trisports at letchworth though
  • Options
    Try to make the weight the same on the outward journey just in case they look at such things. Might be tough to explain the phone directorys if they x-ray it though.
  • Options
    cartman - but its $90 each way for a bike on delta.

how tall are you?? my bike is too big for my old bike box due to the tall aero tube. if you buy one over there to bring your bike back in, i'll have it! i want one of those nice new sci-con ones.

if you buy a box out there, i get a cheap box, you save $90 on transporting your own box out. might be worth getting some stickers to put on the box to give it that 'not brand new' look though!!
  • Options
    sounds like a plan...

Given the exchange rate you can pick up a Trek Team Time Trial for just over 2 grand. Even if you do add on the VAT is still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than anything google has found me on this side of the Altantic (well apart from ebay, which I'm still checking out.)
  • Options
    they wont stop you. they never do.
  • Options
    the equinox is usually a better deal - the same frame as the time trial, but you get the rest of the bike, too, for the same price

i was going to suggest that as a fall back, if customs were to do that 1 in a million check, if they asked where you got it from, you could say that you bought it second hand from me!

but for that to work, it would have to be the equinox.

thats probably way over the top in terms of uneccessary deviousness though.