Options

Icelandic running

Does anyone have any details of races this year in Iceland. 10k - marathon

Comments

• Options

OMG!! LizzieB is going to think all her birthdays came at once a thread about Iceland! and running...

Um, John.. LizzieB is our resident forum UK peep over in Iceland at the moment (she's been there ages) I'm sure she'll sort something out for you!

;o)
  • Options
    thanks Cath, have heard they have some interesting? races there and have the chance to visit in the summer. hope LizzieB sees the message.
    John
  • Options
    I'll mail her the link John just in case

:o)
  • Options
    Weee!!!!

Thanks Cath!

Hi John - there are SO many good races here in the summer ... racing here is a bit different from the UK though, outside Reykjavik there may only be 15-50 runners taking part in a race which really puts the pressure on (but increases the liklihood of coming home with silverware). And with the exception of the Reykjavik marathon it's entry on the day only (in cash!)for races. Yes, even for marathons.

Er, where do I start? Are you staying in Reykjavik or planning to venture elsewhere? (I'm biased, but I think that Reykjavik is a bit overated). Also, when in the summer are you coming? Do you like running off road? Let me know the answer to those questions and I'll suggest some races.

BTW Iceland's answer to www.runnersworld.co.uk is www.hlaup.is Er, yes, it is all in Icelandic.

A 2005 race list (not in place yet)is on http://www.hlaup.is/displayer.asp?cat_id=29

BTW two of the best races here are the Myvatn midnight sun Marathon (June) and the Þorvaldsdalsskokk (July - 26km offroad with snowfields to negotiate - most wonderful race I've ever done)

Oh I do go on ....
  • Options
    thanks LizzyB
    sorry for delay. New computer here and couldn't work the keyboard!!!
    thanks for the info. Sound like there are plenty to choose from.
    I'll probably be out April-July time so if ok will call then and try to arrange the visit round something interesting.
    Had snow here last night, so did some climate training!!!
  • Options

any more details on this- Myvatn midnight sun Marathon ?

How easy to get to from Reykavik, how many enter etc?

Plus any comments on Reykavik marathon?

Thanks.

• Options
    I'm going to do the Myvatn marathon in a couple of weeks . Anyone experience what the flys are like?
  • Options
    Ran Raykjavik marathon last year. It was superb and my favourite marathon so far. Excellent organisation. Not too many runners. You do start at the same time as the half.
    Iceland is a fantastic country but seriously expensive!!