Options

Sunday 6th February 2005

Comments

• Options
    Paul and Drew good races there
    Drew great pb and Paul you are getting back there.
  • Options
    BR:
    22nd???? jeez your right there, must have been a real quality field, that time would get you a top 5 placement in most races down here in Kent!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Next target sub 60 big'un, well done to you.

Congrats to Sodahead junior yesterday.

I almost winced reading your report Lizzy, a fine example of determination mixed with a touch of insanity {o:

Cripes BR, a very fine effort. Hope the official time gives you the PB you deserve. And don't do yourself down.. (cheers for Tracey Morris?). Surely there must have been someone in the crowd shouting 'who's that girl behind BR' {o:

5 mile easy warm up for me then 6.75 miles xc club handicap race. Very muddy conditions, probably the best thing for my slowly recovering dodgy shin. Started off easy then gradually picked up the pace. Pleased to average 6:39's on this sort of terrain and post injury. Near as dammit the same time I ran last year so at least I haven't lost any form. Finished 4th in 45.06. Plus 2.5 miles warm down

Back later to read other reports.
  • Options
    What? 6m easy + 10 minutes walking
    Why? Getting back
    Last hard? Yesterday
    Last rest? 3 days ago

A very poor week for me in terms of training. First the blister, then back probelms, painful triceps and finally achiles pain. Doesn't look too good for Wokingham 1/2 next week. However, very bizar, I am at lowest weight for almost 4 months.

BR - I would be dead if I would run at your HR :) You really shift gears in the second half. Looks pretty good PB form, you only need to run now the same time as TM in FLM! 2:33?

Drew - Congratulations, you should be very pleased. Everything went according to plan.

Lizzy B - Well done, a useful time and you know where you are with your training.
  • Options
    LizzyB - Amazing stuff, great report

All at Dewsbury - Sounds like some good performances in decent conditions

Feel like I deserve my rest today, slightly sore legs so my massage on Tuesday will be welcome (if painful!) Track session on Monday could be interesting...

What: Nothing
    Why: Rest day
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last rest: Thursday

Looking forward to more reports soon.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Very encouraging for you Drew, well done.

Good stuff Paul after all your troubles, good racing.
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    BR & Paul. I don't think that the 5th k is out by much as the finish is a little bit beyond the start. It is quite a rise to the turn though.

Pammie, it's way off my PB, but definitely encouraging. I would hope to start winning some V45 prizes this year, but still a long way to go.
  • Options
    Afternoon runners,

What: first 7m of long run plus 3m plod home.
    Why: something hurts badly in my right foot.

Why is it that as soon as one injury goes, another one appears :-( I'm sat here with a freezer pack on it, and another one on my ankle for good measure...

Total miles for week: 29 (roughly a third of last week)

Nice results at Dewsbury for BR/drew/bigun/paul. BR - if they don't give you an official 33:40, demand a recount!

Lizzy - you're crazy racing with your ankle in that state, but very well done!
  • Options
    Hmmm, now for my report from Dewsbury 10k.

Nice conditions, a few puddles on course.
    I'm getting fed up of these gym bunnies that start way up the field then almost walk at the start and hamper the faster runners! Moan over, here we go: (HR in brackets - for BR's benefit)

1km in 3:47 (180) felt about that pace and no sign of my clubmate (legionella), but the girl i had to beat came past me looking strong. Damn!

2km. I missed the sign!

3km total time is 7:54 so maybe the last 2 kms were 3:50 ish (181). Annoyed and I find my concentration has faltered. That lass is in the distance, but her friend is one to aim for. Clubmate next to me.

4km in 3:52 (184). I'm feeing OK but still annoyed at missing the 2k marker. Dropped clubmate and passed the other lass. Then she passes me!

5km in 4:13 (181). This has the turnaround and I seem to be walking around it as I get trapped but the halfway is 19:47, so I know I can get a negative split if I push on now. Clubmate is about 10secs behind me, but the lass is just in front.

6km in 3:43 (184). I'm starting to push on and not feeling too bad, as I get to pass the lass (apparently, she'd never done sub40 before, so was running really well).

7km in 3:50 (186). I'm starting to feel it and feel like walking. I won't catch the original lass and can't seem to be bothered to keep going. Facial gurning is my only pleasure here!

8km in 3:47 (186). Still suffering a bit but more people to pass and the sticky patch is dwindling away.

9km in 3:53 (186). I'm really thinking it's bad one and not pleasedwith the tired feeling in my legs. My right shoulder is aching and I think 'I hope it's not a heart attack!'. A few windmill exercises and I forget about it (must be amusing seeing a tall, lanky bloke pulling faces and windmilling his arms!).

10km in 3:27 (196). I really pushed it on here, trying to equal my previous PB of 38:30. My legs were really pumping as I pushed for the line,getting 38:31, I think. Maybe they'll give me 38:30, and then that will be an equal for my 10k PB.

Not especially pleased with today, I really started to slump at 7k and got stupidly annoyed at 2km as I missed the marker. But then again, I was ill last week and didn't run for 4 days, and speed work hasn't featured much in the last 2 months, so maybe with some more I can beat that 38:30 time.

Well done everyone else!
  • Options
    Alot of people missed the 2km marker

was there one?
  • Options
    So my second 5k was just over a minute faster than the first one!

Negative split, yes!
    First 5k in 19:47, second 5k in 18:44. Yippee!
  • Options
    BR saw it, so yes, I guess so!
  • Options
    It was at Mike's Carpets (remember the famous cheap and nasty ad from the 1980s)?:)
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Another busy race day today.

Well done those who raced yesterday,Mike,Lizzy,and of course Soda Jnr.Also to those who successfully got in the long runs,Podro,90 minutes and Micksta.Apologies to anybody i've forgotten.

Wow, some fantastic races today too,all at Dewsbury so far.PB's falling down all over the place,great to hear.Firm hand shakes to BR, Big'un at'back,Drew,Paul l. and FL.

I went for an ultra training run this morning, really to find out either way if the Draycote 35 in a couple of weeks is a good idea.It turns out it is.I ran with a clubmate of mine who's attempting to run the Paris to London event in april,so it was great to have somebody for me to talk at for such a crazy distance.
    Lets do this properly.......

What- 28 miles off road,steady as she goes,in 3.45.

Why-New approach to FLM preparation by running an ultra first.This means that hopefully i should be able to get around 35 miles.

Last Hard-I'd be lying if i didn't say today.

Last rest-1 day.

So far so good,and after a bit of a walk around and a nice warm bath,the legs seem to have reacted and recovered ok.Even the dreaded stair test has been passed with flying colours,so things can't be too bad.
    We set off bright and early this morning it turned into a brilliant run,and i reckon i could charge people to come and run this route.I could set up my own LDWA event right here,it was superb,28 miles and only about 10 minutes worth of roads.You obviously lose a bit in terms of pace on these runs but you definitely gain more than the miles covered in endurance.Roll on Draycote.
  • Options
    Back from stourbridge Stagger
    an off road hippo humiliating 10
    rae report later--have to go bak to the hozzie now
    One fall
    Yes I was last
  • Options
    Some good racing going on today - well done all.

I'm in a race against time to be ready for Rome myself. With no LSD under my belt as yet, I decided it was do or die today. So ...

What: 15 miles LSD
    Why: Get them bleeding miles in!
    Last hard: today
    Last rest: Yesterday.

Felt pretty good until last two miles, was miling in 7:15 to 7:30 but the wheels came off after that and I went went down to tens. Finished in 1:55.

Was assessing how my body felt during the run. Aerobically I'm fine, no worries there due to cross-training while off. My time away from running though has resulted in some atrophying of small muscles near hips - annd I felt these fatigue during the run, hopefully shouldn't take long to get them to pop out again. And my nips have fallen out of practice, got chaffed a bit today.

Overall, quite pleased, will probably do a 10 next week and an 8 or 5 the week after. Will be getting loads of protein in me today and generally taking it easy. No after-effects other than fatigue, no soreness as yet.
  • Options
    I went for my long run, and ran the furthest I've ever run. Not sure on exact distance, probably about 17 miles, in 2:20. The route was VERY hilly as well.

Well done to allthe racers out there, I think I may have to take in the Dewsbury race next year.

Happy running everyone and congratulations again.
  • Options
    Hi......

Big well dones to Lizzy, BR, Drew, Big 'un, Paul, FL and Hippo. Some sterling performances there.

BR- if you spend much more time with TM chasing after you your missus will be getting suspicious ;o)

Planned 10 miler ended up as 6ish instead. Just felt really heavy legged and my right adductor was playing up so I didn't want to overdo it.

Lovely afternoon so I'm off taking the Junior Exiles mini-marathon training shortly :o)

Back later for more reports........

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi all, some really good results as per usual for Sunday!:o)

Lizzy, mad, crazy woman, but really well done!

BR-still an excellent time and postition, well done!

Drew-that's a pleasing result for you. Onwards and upwards:o)

Paul-good going!

Big'un at back-good running!

AM-impressive ultra run, sounds fab, well done you!

URR-fingers crossed that you're back on track with your training soon!!

ne-glad you're feeling better. Hope things pick up for you now!

hippo-good running!

OR-hope you feel better soon!

FL-nice one and a negative split!

Wardi-well done on the club championship!

I think that's it, but please forgive me if I've missed anyone. You all are stars both for training and racing!

• Options
    Hippo well done off road running gives you strength so they tell me. It will tell in road races
  • Options
    Just wanted to add my bit about Dewsbury 10k.

First time of doing..brilliant race. Smashed my previous PB by over 4 mins, so absolutely delighted. Finished in 47.03, first 5k in 23.46, second in 23.17. Still can't stop smiling.

Well done to everyone - a great day.
  • Options
    Keep on smiling girlontherun. Smashing pb (sorry for the pun) Maybe i should do this race one day.
  • Options
    Well done to all the racers today, a few PBs there. And congrats to Lizzy B on toughing it out on that ankle, I think I would have wimped out...

I nearly did wimp out of my race today. Haven't posted on the thread for the last 2 days because I've been very miserable and snotty with a cold & sore throat. However, took my peak flow this morning and it was a good 510, about normal for me, so I concluded it hadn't gone to my lungs so I wouldn't do any damage giving the race a go.

It was the Alsager 5, which last year was my 5th race after I started entering races other than the RFL, and upping my training mileage. Last year I did it in 49:00. I got faster during the year, and did another 5 miler in August, managing to get it down to 42:43.

The start was *very* crowded, but at least the bodies kept me warm. It wasn't too cold, to be honest, not like the weather for the Brass Monkey a few weeks back. Light drizzle, pretty much ideal conditions for me, as I heat up very fast. I boggled at the number of people in woolly tops and long trousers - do these people not overheat terribly once they get going? Anyway, got away at a decent pace, for once the middle of the pack were running at my pace from the off, didn't have to do any weaving about to get past people, it all spread out well and I settled into about 8:30 pace. First mile was OK, but I started to feel tired during the second mile, and wondered whether I should have stayed at home. But I gave myself a stern talking to, reasoning that it always gets easier after the first couple of miles. And it did, although I was glad I was wearing my Forerunner, as I didn't see any mile markers after mile 1, until mile 4. Mile splits were all pretty even, it was a flat course with no wind at all to hamper my progress. The finish arrived sooner after the 4 mile mark than I anticipated; managed a fair old sprint, overtaking 3 or 4 people, to finish in 42:24 by my watch (don't know official time yet). Nearly 7 minutes faster than the same race last year! Not bad considering how poorly I'd felt for the last couple of days.
  • Options
    Congrats to one and all who raced. Very impressing stuff. If the weather was like Sheffields it would have been ideal conditions.

Well been off the rails over the last few days. Cut drinking in January right back to the one social one after wednesday club run. Then after thursdays training ended up drinking with neighbour and then went out on friday with colleges from work. Suffered all day saturday and todays long run was very hard. Think i'll have to try my best to keep off the booze till after flm.

What: 11 miles LSD
    Why: Get the miles in for FLM
    Last hard: today, see above
    Last rest: see above
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Ok, report from Longleat 10k.

Was looking forward to this one for a few reasons and especially as I was getting to meet Mike G in person. Mind, his idea of an undulating course and mine (and everyone else who did the race)are a bit different. It was hilly!!

Anyhow, got there early and it was freezing. Couldn't see the views due to thick mist, which did lift in the couple of hours before the start.

Went for a short walk for a km to check out the start of the course. Was shocked to see it started on a hill that went on for at least a km with a nasty sharp summit and then to realise we had to do this hill twice, was a bit demoralising at this stage. No chance of a pb with hill!

Warmed up and didn't feel particulary great, tight calves and a general can't be ar*ed feeling! My mind was taken off this feeling when coming across several forumites and saying hello, which was really nice-pleased to meet you all guys!

Called to the start and at this stage I'd not met Mike, although I'd asked a guy if he were him earlier, only to be told no. So trying not to be too embarrassed over my no.1 on my vest I made my way to the start with YL. Not long after Mike approached and introduced himself to me, he wasn't what I imagined, even though I'm not sure what I expected, but he was so friendly and nice-great to meet you Mike!!

Started quite close to the start as people seemed to be a bit shy in coming forward. Thought I was a bit too close to the front, but thought what the hell they can go round me:o)

We're off and I'm running with LLL, this won't last! See him gradually ease away from me on that first hill.

1-2km 4:39 (158)this is a toughy, god knows what it'll feel like at 7km!

2-3km 3:52 (156) that's better, down we go, I can cope with this, breathing returning to normal:o)

3 & 4km 7:57 (160) long run down to Longleat house, get a cheer from Blonde Bird and then Mike. Not feeling great, but hoping it'll get better. Beutiful setting at this stage, but try not to lose concentration looking around!

5-6km 4:57 (162) can't believe this hill and remind me not to believe Mike in future about little sharp hills, this is a monster! Pace is shortenend and I try to quick step, but thighs start to burn and I just get up any way I can.

6-7km 3:34 (158) would like to go faster, but still not fully recovered from the up and this down is quite severe, which I can feel on my shins.

7-8km 4:29 (163) here we go, the long drag again. Keep focussed, you can do it! Once up it's mainly down to the finish. Boy it hurts!

8-9km 3:41 (160) So tired I can't take as much advantage of this down bit as I'd like.

9-10km 3:40 (163) not sure what I've got left, but somehow I don't think I'm going to be breaking any records for myself today.

Finished in 42:01, only 30 secs slower than pb, which was set on totally flat course, so pretty pleased with this result. Also, 4th woman and lots of nice SIS products as my prize!

Great organisation and championship chips for accurate results. Lovely course, but hilly!
  • Options
    Nice pb, quimby.

Hilly, how was your 10k?
  • Options
    Lizzy, you are indeed a mad woman but Good going!

BR- an excellent time and postition

Drew-that's a great result
    Paul-Well done you must be pleased
    Big'un at back-good running
    hippo-Well done and a great run from you(yes it is queen I was just so shocked and needed to leave ASAP so first lyric that came in my head;-)
    FL-well done

Hope I have not missed anyone

NE hope you are feeling good about run

GOTR
    Hello and well done on your race:-)

Hilly how did you do and YL do?

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Excellent performance hilly. A sub 41 10k in the offing?
  • Options
    Hillly that was an outstanding performance well done you are on fire:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Well done to all those previously congratulated, as well as GOTR - Negative split, 4 mins pb improvement - well worth smiling about:-)

Mine is a late report from yesterday's short course flat field Cross country Glos County 4k champs. A very small field, in both senses of the word, but lots of prizes on offer (County medals, boxes of chocolate biscuits, small beers). I reckon that I was the highest placed finisher to NOT win a prize of any description.

~16th place
    8th Team member
    4th V40

What I do take away from the event was that my 4k time was 15:29, that I was appropriately placed by comparison to rivals, and that it was a good enough work out that didn't cause any injuries.

And now to think about today's run.....
    but perhaps I shall read the thread first.