Options

Good For Age: HOT NEWS

Comments

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hmm. Possibly as much to do with all the 5-time-rejects they'll have to allow in this year. Cut down on the number of GFAs to allow in the persistent appliers.

(Of whom I'm one, I have to say)
  • Options
    I dont particularly feel the need to do London, to be honest, but it would be convenient. Planning Rome and Amsterdam for next year, NY this year, London maybe in 2007 but Rotterdam or Paris would be nice too...
  • Options
    Susie. The good news is that the Luton marathon IS in the scenic bit of Luton. The bad news is that the scenic bit is so small that you have to run around it 3 times to cover the required distance :-)
  • Options
    Personally I don't believe that there is any underhand logic in it at all. The cut off date is very similar to last year, apart form being a Monday. Abingdon never makes the cut. Cardiff was deferred by a week, after they put out the original Oct 3rd date on the web.
    The pointy end of the field is not too crowded yet, so no reason to up the ante.

One step - please refresh my memory from when I last went there, but exactly which bit of Luton is the scenic bit? ROFLOL ;-)
  • Options
    The airport runway.... :¬)
  • Options
    I have not read all of the postings here but if enough of you feel that strongly why not all agree to write to David Bedford or whoever and put yur points across.

My thougth and fairly widely covered on another thread this morning are that they are not bothered about the non elite but good club class runners -
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Cardiff's not the 3rd?

So it doesn't clash with Loch Ness anymore?

Hmmmmmmmm.
  • Options
    Nessie: Now you can do Loch Ness 2/10, Cardiff 9/10, Abingdon 16/10, (a quick half mara at, say, stroud 23/10), Beachy Head 29/10 and Snowdonia 30/10.

Is that enough to keep you busy?
  • Options
    Oh come on. There's the Arndale Centre. There's the lovely industrial park that runs alongside the airport runway. There's Luton Airport Parkway Thameslink Station. There's the glorious Kenilworth Road (for which the chant "shi22y ground" was actually written.) I mean what do you guys want? The Luton Marathon is beauty in triplicate...sort of like a southern equivalent of Bob Graham. In fact, lets just rename the damn thing The Eric Morecambe Round. Any takers?
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Still reckon that Male 41-59 is a mighty unfair group. Sub 3:15 for someone in their 40s is a fair target, but for a runner in their late 50s it is a big ask!

I'll be looking forward to my annual lottery rejection with less angst than usual, as I'm strangely attracted to running Taunton again...
  • Options

There has to be a cut off date at some point in the calendar. FLM staff know how long it takes to process all the different kinds of entries (championship, ballot, overseas, charidee, gold bond, complimentary, GFA, club places and no doubt there are other categories I've overlooked) . . . and presumably that's what governs the cut off date.

Maybe it is "unfair" on those who take part in October marathons . . but if they extended the cut off date by a month then it would be "unfair" on those taking part in November marathons.

I'm normally the last person to apologise for FLM but it seems to me that they just can't win in this argument . . so they draw a line in the sand that suits their administration and stick to it.

Anyway, times achieved in marathons after the cut off date do qualify as GFA . . in 2007 . .

However as someone for whom GFA is out of reach by about 30 minutes . . I couldn't care less!!!!!

:)

ps . . and as I'll no doubt be rejected by the ballot for the 4th time in a row, see you at Taunton 90m ;)

• Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Rich - See you there if not before...
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Blisters:

{slap}

:o)
  • Options
    Nessie

{OuchOuch}

:0(

Don't tell Hippsy, or she'll have a go at running all of them. Shades too.

PS I presume, as per the reminder, that you did think before you slapped me?

That's OK then.

• Options
    Desert ManDesert Man ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Blisters

Now the nit picky details .... is it Good for Age when you do the time, at the date of entry or at the date of the next FLM??

I hit the two score mark in December, and did sub 3:15 this year in London .... but will it count for 2006 ??

Anyone know ?
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I believe it does count DM. As long as you are 40+ on the race day your time will count if you have run it as a 38/39 year old within the last 2 years.
  • Options
    DM you have to provided proof of time plus photo copy of your birth certificate
    address is
    Good for Age
    Flora London Marathon
    P.O. Box 3460
    London SE1 0YA
    I thought it only counted when you ran the time in the age group the 3.15mark is for 41-59 year olds sat reading entry form as I type
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Quite right RB, 3:15 age requirement is 41+ on race day not 40+. However my understanding is that as long as you are, say, 41 yrs and 2 months old on race day, a qualifying time from the previous 2 years will count.
  • Options
    wardi-do you know ehat is happening with the east hull 20 next year is it going to be 4 laps of 5miles what a mathamatician
  • Options
    Anyone planning on running the Cardiff Marathon to get a GFA time for next years London should note that it will be too late.
    The closing date for GFA entries is FRIDAY OCTOBER 7TH, and NOT MONDAY OCTOBER 10TH as BLISTERS was told above.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I had heard that rumour too RB, we will have to wait and see. I don't mind 2 laps but 4 or 5 would be a nightmare for both runners and organisers, people getting lapped for example.
  • Options
    Wardi-Don't let them change it, not when it's such fun as it is.
  • Options
    It would be good as a 4 lapper - you could treat it like a training session maybe running laps 2 and 3 as a hard aerobic run with a warm up and warm down. Would beat 80 laps round Thornes Park track:-)
  • Options
    Runner Pete. I spy that information too. Billhooks to Cardiff for changing their date I say.
    But if you are London based and managed to squeeze a GFA time I'd say that it was worth a visit, wouldn't you? All depends on your level of blarney.
    I wonder why the person I spoke to was unable to read?
  • Options
    Hello all. Recieved application in post and as I thought I can go for GFA. They mention 'proof' of time in form of a 'results slip' which I dont have!?!? I've been to the Dunblin Mara website and can call up my results. Will a photocopy of this web page be enough? Have also got photos of me under the clock at the finish line to back it up if needs be. It also says 'IF your performance is accepted by our scrutinisers you will be sent an application form'. Does this mean that a GFA time doesn't actually guarentee a place?

Doh, why is nothing straight forward?
  • Options
    RC - yes a website print off is fine. And the scrutinsers bit is just to cover themselves - might as well call them checkers. Never known anyone with a GFA / Championship time refused a place.
  • Options
    BR - thanks :-) that's put my mind at ease :-) Shall get onto applying straight away :-)
  • Options
    Re: Cardiff, I've just re-read the GFA blurb and it says the application letter with all the proof must be received by Friday 7th Oct which completely rules out qualifying in Cardiff. Then the GFA entry forms will be dispatched by FLM office by 10th Oct.
  • Options
    I have written a letter requesting a GFA place(got no official GFA form) as am hoping that I will be injury free come the end of this year and thus want to train for FLM 06. Reading the above statement "Then the GFA entry forms will be dispatched by FLM office by 10th Oct." does this mean I will hear nothing until then? Do you get an acknowledgement of receipt of application?
  • Options
    is it worth chancing my luck applying for a GFA place this year - my FLM 05 time was 3:00:42 and I'm 31?

Do they have a heart or any leeway when it comes to offering the places? Perhaps more importantly, is it ethical to attempt to get such a place if it may be at the expense of a genuine GFA person? One for The Ethicist in the Times, i think!

the bat