Options

Friday 23 September 2005

Morning,

Interesting thread last night. Maybe these easy lyrics may help.

What: 6.25miles AM, 5 miles PM
Why: Aerobic running
Last Hard: Ages
Last Rest: 02Sep05

Thank crunchie its Friday.

Comments

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    And BR said:

---------------------------------

...and I'm just living for the weekend.

Morning

What: 6 miles steady
    Why: recovery / looking at the bigger picture...
    Last hard: Sunday

Enjoy your running:-)

---------------------------------

;-)))
  • Options
    nrg-b
    Is it Jimmy Cliff? You succeed at last?

What: 5 miles bush tracks easy
    Why: long run tomorrow and felt very tired yesterday.

Long may we run - have a good day:-)
  • Options
    Morning all,

interesting posts last night, with just a touch of fraughtness. It is compelling for a novice like me to see you more experienced bods disputing. I suppose the extent to which you are disillusioned/disappointed/disheartened (lovely alliteration Tom) by not making your dreams depends on the extent to which you define yourself by your running. I do appreciate that it is different for you bods in the top 10% or 25% of age groups, but a year ago I never dreamed I would run a marathon and here I am now calling myself a runner! Hi all, my name's Melissa and I'm a runner. Having said that...

What: easy swim
    Why: sh&gged from hilly cycle yesterday
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Sunday

Good runnings all.
  • Options
    Morning, I'll need the day off to read last's night's posting's ;-)
    I notice BR needs his own thread this morning tough ;-)

but as I haven't..............

What: 4.5M d+d
    Why: Southern 6 stage tomorrow, in the "A" team for IEK but I bet we still get stuffed by MikeB's AFD "C" team!

Resting HR: 42
  • Options
    Morning,

Two Friday threads, and BR started his a good 30mins earlier. I can't be doing with making these decisions at this time of the morning ;0)

Last night was 18 x 1/2 miles (65 yards short of a 1/2 mile actually - but all uphill) with 1 mile warm up and warm down.

The best bit is - there was no pain or reaction from the calf - WOOHOO

So today is going to be

What: Rest
    Why: Work (again :( )

Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: Wednesday

Well I am very glad its Friday.

Have a goodly day.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Melissa - you said that very well - about yesterday's posts - so I won't bother trying to be so eloquent!

Popsider - I can tell you about the training of at least one of the Derby tri competitors! There was a high proportion of novices on hybrid bikes, and there were also slow people like me!

What: gym this morning, maybe a short swim later to loosen up for sunday
    Why: sprint tri on sunday
    Last hard: first pilates session last night!
    Last rest: saturday
  • Options
    Morning

Poor BR he started his first a bit unfair on him!

Very interesting postings last night but cant really read them all no time.
    But I am definatly in the bigger picture department!!

What: nothing woke up got half dressed and just so tired that I went back to bed and it was to be 14 miles@MP........will this missed session make a diffence to my Marathon???
    I felt tired after yesterdays session and did not run home as per usual.

Why: Tired but I think coach will not be too happy as we dont have long left.
    Last hard Sunday

It is a bit wet out there today have fun and train well

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Morning

Heavy reading again this morning!

BT - The Marathoner is totally out of stock at the moment, waiting for shipment from Nike should be the end of the month, so not able to bring one along on Sunday:o(

What: Recovery day - 6 mile run, maybe followed with sauna and jacuzzi and stretching.

Why: Recovering from yesterdays session

Last Hard: Yesterday

Last Rest: 13 days

Have a nice day all
  • Options
    Sodahead thats great news!
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    good morning.

fascinating stuff last night.

WP, don't beat yourself up - you've not been well and should listen to your body.

wrt to your advice BR, can't see how 2 runs of 13 miles is going to do me much more damage than one of 20+. my "MP" is 11 min/miling run/walking NOT the kind of effort you speedy people put in. I can run faster and I could probably achieve a faster time than I'm aiming for. If I was attempting something faster I would agree with you.

what: probably rest
    why: woke up feeling ropey this morning
    last hard: yesterday
    last rest: wednesday

looks like my taper has started early as I've had 3 rest days in the last week. but woke up all bunged up and with a headache.
  • Options
    Morning all
    Last night??? Best go and have a look.

what: 5 easy
    why: Emergency tapering for Sunday( still tired from last sundays race and hard reps on Wednesday)
    last hard: Wednesday
    last rest: Monday

Have a good day
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Morning

Sodahead, that is such good news.

What am 5 miles easy, pm 7 miles easy
    Why Friday is recovery day

Have a good day all.
  • Options
    Good morning

Some good reading on the thread last night.

Sodahead - Fantastic news!

NZC - You ran some wicked times!

What: 6 easy miles

Why: Knee still hurts

Last hard: Sunday

Last rest: Tuesday

Friiiday!!
  • Options
    Morning

What happened last night, seemed a bit heated!! Nothing like a bit of forum banter at 11pm !!! I agree with Debo, Melissa P has put everything in to perspective with her comment this morning.

What - That 6 miles that did not do last night
    Why - worked to late last night and was tired

Enjoy
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning.

That was an interesting debate you had last night. My only contribution is that one's expectations of themselves should always be realistic. Take me for instance while I've made great improvements for me and even got to the marathon champ start, I know that I could never be any better than that and I would be deluding myself if I were to say I was working towards say the Common Wealth games or something, but it doesn't stop me training for better times. Plus I think everyone on here is realistic about their goals.

Scooby, well done on your solo long run. That should've give you a major confidence boost for Cardiff.

WP, I still think you're training too hard! Every run has the word 'hard' in it. Enjoy today without worry. The rest is as important as the running!

what:2 miles at lunch-maybe, pm 5 miles easy
    why:marathon recovery
    last hard:Sunday
    last rest:yesterday

• Options
    Morning all

BR - Sodahead great news.
    What: One week to go before I cna start runnign again. Can barely wait and mojo starting to return.

A quick question - I have always been a bit lazy about stretching and flexibility or lack of it looks like being a mjaor contributory factor to my injuries. Would two pilates classes per week help improve flexibility and possibly be an alternatoive to 30 mins stretching per day or is it completely different idea ie core muscles rtaher than flexibility.

Simon

• Options
    Hi All

I missed the action last night. What thread was it on?
  • Options
    good news sodahead.

WP, take the rest. sounds like you need it and i'm sure it will help.

what : short run, 4.5 miles done
    why : all i have time for.
    last hard : weds
    last rest : tues

off to Paris in an hour for a long w/e with g/f.

Been told in no uncertain terms to leave running gear at home too!!

Ah well.

Have a great weekend all.
  • Options
    morning,

what: rest
    why: schedule

enjoy the day
  • Options
    Morning all,

Clearly going to the pub and not sitting in front of my PC all night means I miss out on the excitment. Still, something to read at lunch today, by the look of things!

What: rest
    Why: Friday and 10K on Sunday
    Last hard: Wed
    Last rest: Mon

minks - I must have been on a different planet when I said I might do 46:00 for my 10K on Sunday. On my planet, where minutes have 63 of your earth seconds, that might be possible, but here on Earth, I think 47:30-48:00 is probably more likely on current form!
  • Options
    Morning.

What: 8M
    Why: end of week run

Last hard: wednesday
    Last rest: 23 days ago

Train well
  • Options
    Morning

Enjoyed reading the friendly(ish) banter from the late shift! I think, with the right attitude, we can all get better at pretty much anything over a prolonged period without necessarily achieving 'greatness'...which is all most people really ask for from a hobby.

What: Rest of gentle run if my new trainers arrive
    Why: Tired

Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: 11 days

Have a good day folks!

----
  • Options
    Unusually there are some running comments from me this morning!

Scooby Snax - glad you had a nice run and a warm feeling...

Sodahead - WOOHOO indeed :-)

Tom, Popsider, BR, NZC, Hippo and the rest of the late night crew - interesting conversation abut Micksta. Not sure the disagreements were that wide... Going to be interested to hear what Micksta has to say later!

Poppy - no it will not. You've got a really good quantity of really good quality long runs under your belt already (unless you've been fibbing in your posts over the last 3 months!)

Paul l - there are some great runs near Montmatre ;-)

mava - read BR's comment but didn't see NZC's before that... IMO there's definitely value in running Windsor as a race rather than as a training run - even starting from now you could practice the taper, the pre-night routine, the start, the pacing, the taking water on-board (it's gonna rain so this should be easy enough) and the general race strategy - it gives you a chance to get some more good race confidence... Also I have to say that I think there are some differences between running 20 miles in one go as compared to doing 2 lots of 13 over 2 days - I'd reckon the 2 runs over 2 days will do more damage but with less training benefit. Also I can't say I've seen any running training schedules ever for slow run or run/walk which suggest the merits for doing 2 long runs 2 days in a row... Still (despite the fact I've written all this text) I don't think this is that big an issue!

nrg-b - what can I say? I KNOW THE LYRICS!

What: Swim this morning (rubbish drills but excellent 100m swims afterwards), 5k steady this evening.

Why: Last run before Windsor.

Lyrics: Did I mention that I KNOW THE LYRICS :-)

I'm thinking about this weekend's race and wondering whether to try a faster first half to give me a chance at a PB - do I know the difference between dreams and fantasy?

Have a good day all!
  • Options
    oh yeah and...

mava - while I'm giving so much advice - you are going to make sure those new trainers are well broken in before Abingdon, aren't you?
  • Options
    Morning,

What: 3m am/7m pm
    Why: recovery day is needed
    Last rest: 32 days

Have a good one.
  • Options
    morning,

good luck boys (and girls?) in the relays.

great news soda, looks good now.

WP i think you've answered your own question - if you don't have long left then better to get yourself fresh at this stage

mava - hope the rest does the trick for you today

paul I , enjoy paris

my cybex test last night showed appreciable improvement in the left ham, so good news on that but.. also strengthening of the right one so still 30% difference agh! the imbalance in the quads is nearly at an acceptable level now so that's good. the pain across butt is apparently complicated by the sacro iliac which he will work on when the ham imbalance is rectified so another 3 weeks of gym work and cross training. he also thinks i'm being over -enthusiatic on the cross training and may be hampering the healing process even though it doesn't hurt when i'm doing it so may need to back off that slightly.
    feel a bit adrift again but determined to get this sorted. meanwhile may have a visit to the chap you recommended mikeS.

good training and racing everyone
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

early post today, a bit of leave (long weekend) have the long drive to N.Yorks in a bit.

What - run aborted at 3m

Why - IBS (Nevermind, will put a Hilly long one in over the moors on Sun hopefully)

Last Hard - Tues

Last Rest - Suppose yesterday with the cricket.

Enjoy:-)

• Options
    Morning All.

Im glad the calf held out Soda.

Long run today today, out and back course, out for 51 mins, mostly uphill onto moorland roads then back.

Good Runnings everyone.
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Sodahead, great news.

Mava, I would also advise against doing the two 13 milers back to back. It will be of much more benefit if you do 2 or 3 miles on Saturday and on Sunday do a 5 mile warm up before and a 2 mile cool down after Windsor....then you can start your taper knowing you've done a good quality 20 miler at the ideal time. I'd also be tempted to do the first 10 miles of the race at your proposed MP, but race over the final 3 miles.

Today's session:

What: Rest, although I may be tempted to do a steady 5 or 6 miles later on.
    Why: Have had 4 quite hard sessions since Saturday and want to feel fresh for my 10k on Sunday.
    Last rest: 13 days