Options

lower back

hi, ive been running for about a month now after getting over calf injuries. thankfully the calves are ok but i have to stop every 5 mins because of a pain at the lower spine. it seems to come on quicker when im running up hill.
thanks steve

Comments

• Options
    Do you lean forward when running uphill? It could be that your core strength has suffered during your enforced lay off. Yoga or a gym ball may help.

It may wear off after a while, or it may be worth visiting a physio to get some exercises.
  • Options
    I found the same recently in a fell race.

Uphill puts a lot more strain on your back because you are extending your thighs much more... a bit like doing agressive squats with weights on your back in the gym.

I agree with LozF. Stretching, using the gym ball (reverse reaches/stretches), and regular lower back manipulation or exercises will cure the problem.

It really worked for me. I've had a bad lower back for 20 years because of rugby. In the past 3 years I cured the problem myself just by doing exercises at home.
  • Options
    SJ26,

If you have had problems with BOTH calves recently, it is possible that they actually weren't calf injuries but related to nerve irritation from the developing back problem (obviously I don't know anything about the nature of your calf injuries).

Are you seeing a physio about the calves or the back? If not it is probably a good idea to see one if you can.