Options

"Advanced Marathoning" - Pfitzinger & Douglas

Comments

• Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    seems similar then.. to be honest, I have some reservations over the 10-13mile "LT" runs twice a week. Once these get close to target MP they are very hard work and they take me right to the edge of the volumne of "hard runs" I can do in a week and I find them difficult to maintain over a period of a couple of months.. Get your post run refueling wrong, and it shows immediately..

Perhaps that is why P&D and other incorporate some near MP pace components in other runs during the week, e.g. part of the LSD run, and the mid week run. I.e. a similar weekly milage near MP but just spread out a bit more..
  • Options
    Cartman - A 10m or 13 mile run at LT is equivalent to a 10m or 1/2 marathon race. Hence, you are a tad quicker then MP and depending on your overall level of fitness (years of running) those runs can take a lot out of you. I have raced once 2 1/2 marathons 7 days apart and it was quite intense, despite setting PBs twice. Would not do it again. The P&D schedule include some midweek runs beyond 10m+, but contain only 7 miles LT at max as far as I understand.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    URR, I thought that LT was a little slower than MP based on your text above

"P&D mentions LT pace is 2-3% slower than MP,"

hence why I related it to the effort of my mid week runs. I'm really only doing two half marathons (at most!) a week at MP, not 1/2MP pace!

So I think that is a big difference, with Hadd the LT pace runs max out at MP (i.e. don't go onto 1/2MP), but Hadd demands more volumne instead (if i've got it right this time).
  • Options
    URR, my feeling is that HR drift is completely normal, especially as the race distance increases. As you know, it happens as the thermoregulatory processes kick in and blood is diverted to the skin to aid cooling as core temperature rises. There are several other normal physiological processes that contribute to drift.

DF, I think the best way to estimate a "reasonable" pace for the marathon is from your 1/2M or 10k time. Of course these sorts of extrapolations are only any good if you are marathon trained. One calculator that I find to be reasonably accurate is McMillan. However, I think McMillan's estimates are based on a more traditional marathon preparation e.g. LT, VO2, long runs etc.

Cartman, according to P&D:

LSD pace is MP +20% at the beginning of the long run, increasing the pace to MP +10% by the end of the long run i.e. if you were planning on racing the marathon at 7 min/mile (~3:03), you'd start your long run at ~8:24 min/mile and end at ~7:42 min/mile.

P&D definition of LT pace is 10M to 1/2M race pace, so significantly faster than MP e.g. 15-25 sec per mile faster than marathon pace. This is clearly much faster than the initial "threshold" pace which you describe (i.e. MP +12%) and still considerably faster than MP at the end of your schedule. Frankly, I'm not sure how MP or MP +12% could be described as "threshold" as it's nowhere near any threshold I'm aware of.

Your description of "easy" ties in with P&D definition of "steady", but is ~75% WHR for P&D. Recovery runs that you describe are also called "recovery" or alternatively "easy" by P&D and are <70% WHR.

WHR is:
    ((maxHR - restingHR)/100*percentage)+restingHR
    e.g. for me 70% WHR = ((205-45/100)*70)+45 = 157, whereas 70% MHR = (205/100)*70 = 143.5,
    so in my case (for 70%) the fudge factor would be WHR ~= MHR + 10%, but this is a dynamically sliding value.

I think 2 MP runs of 13M (i.e. 26M) per week is suicidal!!! I'd definitely fall to pieces if I tried that for very long ;-)
  • Options
    MM thanks for the advice and the link...according to the McMillan calculator I should be aiming for a 3.30 marathon from a 10k best of 43.45...am I not traditional????;-)
  • Options
    ps...my gut feeling is that 3.30 (i.e. 8min mile) might be a little ambitious, but I am going to give it a try...
  • Options
    DF, best of luck! By "traditional", I mean the usual mix of LT, VO2, long runs, easy runs, prescribed by Daniels. Pfitzinger, Horwill, Nerurkar etc, rather than the Hadd approach ;-)
  • Options
    Back to initial questions. P&D suggests additional training like doubles, core stability, resistance training and flexibility.

I have been doing doubles, following the easy/hard principles. A morning run is mainly for recovery and trying to activate my metabolism.

Core stability I don't do, though I usually have problems at the end stages of a marathon with my core muscles (who hasn't?). Weight I simply don't like and try to avoid using the gym. Only minor stretching for me, my flexibility is quite poor, can't touch the ground with my hands or lift my legs up a bar and stretch hamstrings out.

I follow P&D advise of carbo loading, he doesn't recommend the depletion approach as there are too many risks attached and there are no extra gains.

P&D has also strong feelings on hydration and maintaining iron levels. Not particular great nutrition wise, when running a lot of miles I eat everything, though I would possibly do much better if I would be more strict with nutrition. Hardly eat red meat.

Back-to-back hard days I usually do and done back-to-back tune up races which have produced many PBs.
  • Options
    late arrival to the thread!

I've been tweaking with the 18-week 70mile P+D schedule, mainly to cut out the doubles and trim some miles. I am quite prone to injury when I do biiiig miles but realise that I need more to get me sub-3 for FLM 2006.

Off of around 35-45mpw I came v. close to sub-3 at FLM 2005 but died badly in the last two miles - this lead me to evaluate that I'd not got the aerobic conditioning.

My view was that the RW schedule i followed for FLM 2005 had the correct elements of LT and long VO2 intervals but fell short on the number/ distance of long runs and woefully short on aerobic "getting in the miles" miles that P+D talk about.

So from now until Christmas (18 weeks out from FLM 2006!), I'm putting in ~40mpw of <70% WHR miles to give me a decent base to start the P+D schedule. Also, I'm doing 2xcore stability sessions/ week.

I've not managed to see the P+D book in any shops (and I live in London) so it has been good to see more detail of what they suggest written in this thread!

My one concern, like some others here, is that there are no 1/2M race slots in the schedule - what are the general views on dropping one or two into my schedule. Any suggestions as to how many and how far out from FLM race day is wise to race?

the bat
  • Options
    Cartman...tried a 10m 145-150 (around 80-83% max hr) this morning. First mile is all uphill and hill in middle...felt ok after run but not sure I could keep it up for 26m...

run went like this:

Splits (using HRM which measured course as 10.07m):

m1=8.41 av hr 139 av pace 8.44
    m2=8.06 av hr 149 av pace 8.08
    m3=8.04 av hr 149 av pace 8.06
    m4=8.38 av hr 149 av pace 8.41
    m5=8.04 av hr 148 av pace 8.06
    m6=8.17 av hr 148 av pace 8.19
    m7=8.00 av hr 149 av pace 8.02
    m8=7.44 av hr 148 av pace 7.46
    m9=8.11 av hr 150 av pace 8.13
    m10=8.13 av hr 148 av pace 8.15
    last bit=1.02 av hr 150 av pace 7.59

URR...on core work...I do some pilates for abs, and weights once a week for upper body strength...I also ensure that I do quite a lot of stretching after runs...still have quite a bit of flexibility which (for some reason) I have maintained since childhood when I did Karate regularly.

ps...have just ordered the "Pfitzinger & Douglas " book from amazon
  • Options
    Hi all! I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest and decided yesterday to order the P&D book from Amazon, so I look forward to reading it as of tomorrow.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Looks like Amazon are going to have a rush on this book - I've just ordered it too on the back of this thread!
  • Options
    Another latecomer...

Batfink,
    One of the reasons I chose the P&D schedule (18 week <70 miles) is it agreed closely with the sort of things I've learnt over my last 3 marathons (more mileage, more aerobic running (ie less speed work) to name 2). One of the other things I learnt was that racing a half marathon during marathon training is a bad idea - it takes too much out of me. I also dont see what it achieves. There's using it as feedback on your potential marathon time, but you would have to taper to give it your best shot, and with the recovery afterwards that's a lot of training missed. I have a pretty good idea of my potential anyway, from the aerobic runs - seeing how my pace at marathon HRs is progressing, to give me a fair estimate of marathon time.

All I achieved in racing the Flora Half Marathon was a muscle strain a week later having felt c&*p all week after the HM. I recovered and did well in London, but never felt at my best after the HM.
  • Options
    Incidently, if anyone wants the minute detail of what I did do, and how close I managed to get to the 18week <70 schedule, then it's all documented on my blog, under the 'Weekly Summary nweeks to go" posts.

It all resulted in 3:41 at Cardiff 2 weeks ago.
  • Options
    WS - I guess I get a bit greedy for PBs when I think I'm in good shape. This year, I had a minor hip injury the week before running Fleet half so I inadvertently had a bit of a taper. I also took it easy in the following week too so don't think i lost out too much.

Like yourself, I completely binned any speed sessions where the efforts were <5mins or faster than 5km pace. When I run faster than that, I go up on my toes and my lower legs rebel quite spectacularly. Weekly threshold runs starting at 20 mins effort and progressing to ~50mins effort were the big help in my mind. I might have done these a bit closer to 10km pace than 1/2M but I was capable of holding on.
  • Options
    I didn't like the RW marathon schedules, which 2 years ago had suggested paces for the speedwork - they were insane! Anyone who could run at the paces they were suggesting must be serious aerobically challenged to 'only' run a 4 hour marathon! I was aiming for sub 4 (I got 4:05 in the end), was trying to do the suggested paces for 400m reps and the like, but couldn't get anywhere near their suggestions. Every speed session I did took far too much out of me. I don't see how intense speedwork can benefit a marathon.

One of the big things in the P&D schedules I liked, was the 15-mile mid-week runs. I'd never done that sort of mileage before. My Cardiff marathon was evenly paced - I felt very strong - perhaps as a result of the extra long runs (anything 15+ is long to me - they call them medium-long)
  • Options
    WS - I tend to agree there on the RW schedules. They seem a little scared to put a lot of miles in the schedules published in the magazines, possibly erring on the side of safety by hoping to minimise injury.

What would be more useful for the "improving" runner is an article three months before the FLM schedules are published saying "Do this to be in decent shape for a crack at a high-ish mileage schedule".

Providing I can avoid injury, i'm rather looking forward to midweek 15milers! God knows when I'll fit in my commute back to Putney and eating!

B
  • Options
    batfink,
    I agree totally that the RW schedules are a tad 'light' but as for "possibly erring on the side of safety by hoping to minimise injury", I'd say the opposite is true - without a solid mileage base, doing the speeds they were suggesting was inviting injury.

• Options
    fair point WS, and one I was intending to make!

There are people I know who are seriously thinking about starting their training when the RW schedules are published and until then, they're doing a couple of runs a week (so long as it isn't too cold or its raining). But that's OK as they were good at cross-country in school.

It might do them some good to read some P+D style advice about what effort and timescale is required to undertake the 26.2 safely!
  • Options
    "they're doing a couple of runs a week (so long as it isn't too cold or its raining). But that's OK as they were good at cross-country in school."

LOL

:-)
  • Options
    URR,
    I think doubles are a great idea and I also used the morning session to "loosen off".

I never do core stability stuff either and similarly, my flexibility is very poor.

As you point out, from a physiological standpoint, there is absolutely nothing to be gained from the carbo-depletion followed by carbo-loading regimen. The total amount of glycogen stored per unit dry muscle mass is indistinguishable from that achieved by following a straight carboloading program (I can dig out the references for this if you're interested).

I try to eat a healthy diet, plenty of green veggies, but I do eat quite a bit of meat, lots of fish too though.

Interesting to hear what you say about back-to-back hard days. Never tried it myself, but you've made amazing progress this year having used such an approach.

Batfink,
    The most significant change I made to the P&D 24 week, 70+ mpw schedule was to include much more racing than suggested. I did 8 races in the final 12 weeks of the plan including a 5k, a 5M, 3 10K's, 2 1/2M's and a 30k, all of which were raced all out except for the 30k, which was just run as part of a long Sunday run. All of the races, except the 2 1/2M's and one of the 10 K's were either on Saturday or midweek, in which case I dropped either the VO2 session or the LT session in favour of the race, but still did a midweek "medium" long run as well as the long Sunday run.

I think if you can adapt to this type of approach without breaking down then it pays big dividends come marathon day. IMHO, the only reason I was able to tolerate this type of training was because I'd been consistently logging 70-90mpw for the first 12 weeks of the program.

In my case I did the 2 1/2M's, 9 weeks out and 6 weeks out. I don't think I'd do one any closer than 3-4 weeks out. Interestingly, I tapered for the one I did 9 weeks out and ran a poor race (2 mins slower than PB), whereas 3 weeks later I did the Newark 1/2M having logged 90M in the 7 days leading up to the race and took a minute off my PB, go figure!!!

WS,
    I think racing during training is a personal thing, some people thrive on it, others fall to bits, so I think you just have to try it out for yourself. Judging from personal experience, it's worth re-examining whenever there has been a significant change in your training regimen.

Very well done on the 3:41 BTW, was that a PB?

"Intense speedwork", whilst less important than long runs (endurance) and tempo runs (threshold) do play a role in marathon preparation as, from a physiological standpoint, they provide a very effective stimulus to elevate lactate threshold (by increasing mitochondrial density) and they improve running efficiency.

Totally agree that the midweek long run(s) are absolutely golden - money in the bank, no doubt.
  • Options
    MM,
    I think the 5k pace sessions in the P&D schedule were worth while, but the RW sessions were way faster, which I think is counter productive. I suspect the RW schedules were aimed at low mileage bods with poor aerobic condition whose 5k pace is way out of line with their marathon pace ie marathon pace 2 minutes or so slower. My 5k pace is only a minute quicker than marathon pace, so trying to run the RW sessions at a minute quicker than 5k pace nearly killed me.

3:41 was a PB. Lots more to come I reckon.
  • Options
    There is a lot of discussion about RW schedules. I trust those were put together and overlooked by the advisers of RW. Can anybody post a link to the relevant schedule?

Not want to criticise the RW schedules at they are slightly designed for another audience. The "Advanced Marathon" schedules are more for runners who have a bit of running background and maybe have more specific marathon goals.

I guess the reason why in some of the RW schedules faster sessions are introduced is quite simply to force folks to at least try out to run a bit faster even it is just for 90 seconds. Usually runners around the 4hrs bracket are not the smoothest movers and do not lift their knees much, or have a bit of kick. The slow running develops automatically developes a shuffles and the occasional faster session is more or less a reminder that one should practice form/running economy/strides etc. Some call it neuromuscular training.

Would be interested to see the full schedule and would be suprised if the speed element in a sub 4hrs schedule goes beyond 5k in volume.
  • Options
    Yay! Book arrived this morning, so off for a read now so I can hope to understand what you have all been discussing a bit better. Can't fault Amazon for service.
  • Options
    Can anyone who's following Hadd's training plans describe exactly what aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold mean within Hadd's shcedules???
  • Options
    I decided to get this book and am going to read it over the next couple of days.

A quick glance at the schedules suggest 5k pace, thats one distance I have not really raced but have ran plenty 3ks and 10ks, I guess I could work out pace from these two distances?
  • Options
    Really interesting read - I found the theory behind the runs and the other stuff you can do like stretching and core stability to help running.

Intruiged by the comments by URR and Marmite Master which state there is `absolutely nothing' to be gained from a carbo-depletion and reload programme.

P+D talk about `similar' benefits to be gained from cutting out the depletion phase. It also talks about a loading without the depletion phase storing glycogen to `almost' the same level as if you did the full regimen (p.45).

Is there a scientific difference between `absolutely' and `almost'?
  • Options
    mfB,
    Aerobic threshold is lower than anaerobic threshold. Below the aerobic threshold you are working aerobically, and above the anaerobic threshold you are working mostly anaerobically, with a grey area in between. There is a 'rigorous' definition (hah!) of these 2 levels in terms of blood lactate, but as for most of us they are impossible to determine accurately, I think Hadd tends to avoid talking in such terms, but prefers the notion of what heart rate can be sustained, without any loss of pace, for an hour or more (this is roughly equivalent to the aerobic threshold). His Lactate Threshold is the upper of the 2 and is roughly the pace you can sustain flat out for an hour.

Phew!

I hope I haven't hijacked the thread with this one.
  • Options
    Marmite - as I understand it your Aerobic threshold is the effort level you can sustain for a marathon without a pace drop off later on.

Anaerobic threshold is your traditional 10 mile / HM effort level.

Btw, Hadd doesn't do `schedules'. Every runner is different and responds differently to the stimuli. He suggests 2 sessions in a week then leaves the runner to work out for themselves the best way of making progress during the other 5 days.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    As far as I understand it (and I am by no means an expert):

aerobic < ~2 millimoles of lactate per litre (just above resting levels)
    anaerobic > ~4 millimoles of lactate per litre

these numbers can vary from individual to individual but the anaerobic threshold ~= steady state threshold, i.e. an intensity that can be maintained for about 1hr - 1hr30mins

So if you take the 3or 4 x 5km sessions I was referring to earlier, a key metric in these sessions is excessive HR drift which would indicate increasing (e.g. more than ~3 bpm to account for heat dispersion etc.) anearobic activity (which is to be avoided), hence you are not allowed to increase your HR until you are aerobic at that HR (but thats another thread thats already up and going).