Options

sub4.30

Comments

• Options
    Barbara, my good vibes are a bit shaky at the moment, but I will send some across to you anyhow. I don't really know what I am talking about, but maybe you should just do a bit more of that waving your arms whilst bike-riding for this week and just give that leg a real rest. You have the fitness, so more running isn't really going to help you get to the finish line, but maybe might just stop you getting to the start line.
    I know you can do it, and I know you will be there on the 13th and I know you will make it to the finish line with that overwhelming smile on your face
    Stephanie, I too have struggled this week, don't know if it is mind over matter with the knowledge that I am aloud to run less or what, but the body has been very heavy. Even more tapering this week coming wah hoo!
  • Options
    Wot, no posts today, what's going on?

Did 14 this morning and felt worse after it than after last weekends 20. Guessing that it was largely due to poor nights sleep, kept waking up for some reason, and my body objecting to getting up at what it thought was 6am.

Plan for coming week:- couple of 5-6 milers midweek, possible gentle gym session and max 8 next Sunday.

Not long now folks. Those with recovering injuries - rest. Those still fit - don't go overdoing it :)
  • Options
    Anyone got any ideas about how I'll be feeling straight after the FLM? Will I be able to drive for a couple of hours or will I not even be able to walk (considering this will be my first time).

I'm trying to plan the weekend and am trying to work out if I need to stay in London on Sunday evening as well.
  • Options
    Scouse, you might be able to drive for a couple of hours but not sure how you will get out of the car afterwards!! Last time I did FLM I came home by train and, although I walked around a few times, I had great difficulty walking down the platform. I would say if you can stay in London overnight then probably better. I am coming home by coach this time but will still have to drive about 30 miles! Good luck for the day!
    Murf, has gone very quiet on here hasn't it! I managed 1 1/2 hours yesterday, after first two miles i was ready to come home and send my withdrawal in! Then I started to feel better, pain in leg reduced to a distant ache. Was tempted to run further but common sense prevailed. Lets see how I recover now. Your training is still going well, look after yourself!
    No 3, thinking of you, hope you get good news!
    Charlie, didn't dare try the bike again, frightened I might break something!!
  • Options
    Slept all weekend, was meant to do 17 miles according to the plan but i felt so ill and exhausted after 2 miles I went home and back to bed. I've got heat blasting out of my ears and forehead - no idea whats wrong...probably the combination of 20 miles last weekend, 5-6 hours sleep a night last week and working v. late all the time. Today I feel completely drained..... oh dear.....!
  • Options
    Hi everyone, can't believe this run of good weather, ran 15 miles on Saturday in 2.19 and felt ok at the end and have had no aches or pains at all afterwards. Also no more blisters. Planning do do a couple of 5 or six milers this week with a 10 miler at the weekend. No more speed work despite what it says in the schedule.

Babara, I'm glad your run went ok and that the shin pain subsided, have you tried taking ibuprophen before your run? I do this sometimes if my shins are playing up. I take a 400mg tablet about an hour before starting and finds that it masks those niggly aches and pains that for me usually take about an hour to run through. Also, don't even think about not running on the 13th.

Scouse, I don't envy your drive following the FLM, but I don't think you will have any real problems providing you feel ok when you cross the line. The worst thing is as Babara says, you will tend to sieze up when you sit down for any length of time. I'd suggest stopping and walking about a bit enroute. Last year I found walking and climbing stairs was no problem at all, it was just going down stairs that caused a problem as my quads were shot to pieces. Mind you that was worse the next day and worse still on the Tuesday.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Hi,missed reading whots gone of this weekend computer problems,well got up for long run yesterday ready for my last long run about 15mls got to walk down stairs well the pain in my heal @ up the leg was so bad,i got the ice on it,
    got up it had gone?
    thought i had better rest,got on the comouter/injuries,it is could planta fasia?ice rest,got up this morning no problem,also got this page back on feel better try my run later good to hear you all!
  • Options
    Hi all

Managed 15 miles at the weekend although it was hard work towards the end and couldn't walk afterwards. Ran in my Cancer Research vest - had rather a result regarding heckling - normally I get a fair bit of abuse from teenagers and drivers but this time I didn't get any. Am considering running in CR vest at all times!
  • Options
    Jenks, are you getting worried about your offer to carry me round? Brilliant time for your 15 mile run, glad it's all going well for you. Take care now!
    SBS, take it easy with that pain, don't risk aggravating it at this late stage.
    SM,hope you are ok, sounds like you have a high temperature. Hope it's nothing serious.
    I'll be glad when it's the 13th and we all make it to the start line fit and healthy!
  • Options
    Me too - am avoiding anyone with colds!
  • Options
    Not posted for a while, but good to read that my schedule is not far off some of yours - like Mrrf, I did 21 miles in 3hrs 15mins 8 days ago and after a couple of evening short sessions did 15 miles in 2hrs 12mins which seemed about right. Agree with others about the body needing a little calm before the storm so will look to do about 90 mins next weekend. Mixed emotions : excitement and fear !

As it's my 1st FLM, I've spent a lot of time getting in sponsorship for MS - one kind soul has given 2p per mile or £20 if I finish - guess that's to encourage me ?!
  • Options
    Scouse.Re after FLM.I found doing stairs a real killer. I have to get the tube home then pickup my car from the station which is only a 20min drive, which in itself is no problem, but it is when you get up from a sitting position thats uncomfortable. Infact as a Driving Instructor this year I will be taking the Monday off because the past FLM Ive foolishly gone to work, which for me is 8/9hrs in the car. 2/3hrs wont be a problem but just expect to feel a bit stiff when you get out and like all long runs it will wear off after few days.Then after feeling really on a high by evening I felt totally knackered and for coulpe days after that.I guess if youve trained reasonably well youll recover quicker.Im into the Vet. stage so I expect longer to recover anyway.On my previous 4FLMs Ive also been starving hungry for at least a week after, or perhaps thats just me being a pig!Oh for some unhealthy food.Hope none of this puts you off but you did ask for advice.Has anyone else experienced the same quirks or is it all normal. Theres no way I would be able to discuss this with friends or family without them committing suicide.
  • Options
    SG - definitely normal.
  • Options
    Yep
    Standingup and sitting is agony

WHY have i got an out patient clinic on the monday?
  • Options
    Murf, I see on another thread that you are planning on going to the expo on Wednesday morning. I'm planning on going on Weds as well, but not till later, so if your plans change and you are running later, let me know and we could meet up if you wanted to.
    I'm hoping to get there around 3 or 4.

Oh, did a sub hour for my 10km run this morning (59.40). My last fast-ish run before flm, and well happy. Fastest 10km before today was 1 hour 3mins
  • Options
    Murf, while you're answering that, as a first timer i've never been to registration. I need an hour or so to get into London in the evening after work. Do you know if saturday will be so busy that its likely to be a lot less stressful to go at 7pm on the thursday? I'd only have an hour there but presumably thats better than 3 hours on my feet queuing on the saturday when i'm meant to relax?
    Any views?
  • Options
    Went to see a sports therapist yesterday and it seems that i have a grade 1 hamstring strain (small tear),on the plus side with some sports massage and regular icing and compression i should be able to take part in flm.
    I probably won't do much running between now and then other than some gentle jogging, and as i've already had a week off that means i will not have run for three weeks by flm.Still i'm just happy that i'll be able to make the start line although i have also been told that its unlikely that i will be totaly recovered by then and could find the injury recurring as the muscles get tired late on.
    I know that i'm taking a chance and that i may not be able to run for some time afterwards but i have raised a lot of money and put to much time in to miss out at this stage.

Thanks for all the supportive posts they really help, good luck to everyone over the next week and a bit stay fit and healthy.
    Charlielips
    i'm going with my wife on Wednesday at about 1 o'clock might see you there if we're still around.

• Options
    Hi - seems a little late to join this thread but it seems a friendly place to be so what the heck. I'm hoping to get in around 4:30 mark, but looking at some of the times that you guys have posted I'm begining to have second thoughts.

I've been following the RW mag schedule ... recent times: 20 in 3:26, 15 in 2:28. I was really tired at the end of both runs. Am I being realistic in trying for 4:30 or should I settle for a slower pace? Will tapering make that much of a difference? Will the thrill of the day push me along?
  • Options
    welcome neveragain!
    Well I'm hoping for about 4.50 and did my 20miles in 3:43, so I think all going to plan you should be fine to aim for a sub 4.30. I think if I remember correctly, that the sub 4:30 programme has you running a 20 miler in 3 hours 30, so if I am right, then you are well on track.
    good luck
  • Options
    Charlielips - would love to meet up at the expo but will probably be on my way home again by 4pm. And well done on your 10k run, you're obviously in good form.

Slowmoe - I've only done this once before and was able to go on a weekday then as well so don't know how busy it gets in the evenings or Saturday. I'd guess Thursday evening might be less busy than Saturday, unless you can get there for when it opens.

Never again - welcome, you might have to change your name after the event. Most common thought during/immediately after a marathon is "never again" but within a few weeks thousands change their minds! I'd say you were on target for a sub 4.30 as long as you keep your pacing steady and don't get carried away in the early stages. My 20 and 15 times were pretty similar to yours and, as long as all goes well on the day, I'm pretty confident of going under 4.30. Tapering does make a difference and the atmosphere on the day will lift you tremendously.

#3 - fingers crossed for you and I may see you at Expo.
  • Options
    hi everyone and welcome to Never Again! Isn't that what Steve Redgrave said?! Your times look good, very similar to mine and a few others, so sub4.30 sounds realistic.
    No 3, glad the verdict on your injury is not too serious. Probably better to miss training during taper than earlier on when you would have missed long runs. Take care.
    I had a really enjoyable run this evening! Long time since I have felt like that, definitely got the endorphins going. Did scheduled hill session, 10x200m hills with a mile before and after, with very little pain. Leg always feels easier going uphill but this time didn't bother me downhill. now I'll wait and see how I recover.
    Are we going to meet up at the various starts? URWFC are organising meeting points that will make it easier. What do people think?
  • Options
    Swiss Bobby has added an FLM section to the Unofficial website www.urwfrc.org which shows the suggested meeting points for the various starts.

The bandstand has been designated a Red start meeting point and that's where I'll be from around 0830 or so.

Look forward to meeting some of you guys there.
  • Options
    Btw Barbara, sounds as if you're going to be good to go which is great.
  • Options
    Hi
    Every one sounds very positive managed my run 13mls on monday felt as if it was my first a very hot, as for regestaion i have to go on saturday with the mass travelling from Notttingham/staying in central london.Will be using charring cross for the start any one else using charring cross to blue start.
  • Options
    BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Slowmoe, Registering on saturday is not really a problem as far as queing is concerned, it only takes about 10 minutes or so to get processed through. They will segregate the runners from supporters as you enter the Arena, the runners are directed upstairs for registration and everyone else goes through to the Expo. You can meet up again once you have registered. It is busy in the Expo though with lots of people trying to snap up those bits of kit at bargain prices. Hell of an atmos though.

Babara, so glad you are still going strong, you put me to shame still doing speed work, I've decided to stick to medium and low effort runs between now and the big day, probably won't run after next thurs.

Welcome Never Again.
  • Options
    Thank you! That helps me decide on my plan for next week. Don't really want to be trekking into London on thursday and again at the weekend if i can help it.

Barbara, you do well. I did the speed work and i'm really glad i did - my first run since being ill over the weekend and it helped. 6 training sessions to go.....

I'm still not decided on race day kit though - got leggings i've done all my training in but they're thermal and too hot now for sunday lunchtime runs. I've bought shorts but i'm worried about chafing, I'm going to try them for 10 miles on sunday with lots of strategic vaseline and decide then....
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome from everyone. I did get the nickname from Sir Steve ... sad to say that he is a bit of a hero of mine. He achieved so much despite being diabetic (as am I) and continues to do loads of charity stuff.

I'll definitely do 1/2 marathons again (there's a really good one in Windsor, near where I live, in September) but I found the training really hard for FLM so don't know whether I'll do another marathon. I guess I'll decide after I finish it.

After reading all your posts I'm scaling down my run this weekend. Was going to do 15, now thinking more in terms of an 8.

Am really looking forward to the 13th - it can't come soon enough.

Slowmoe - I haven't decided on kit either. Make sure that you try things out before the big day. Its worth noting that people are out on the course to hand out extra vaseline (what a job!)
  • Options
    anyone aiming for sub4:30 actually gonna pound the streets for 15 miles this weekend? Saw elsewhere that some (faster) runners are only going to be doing about 10.

what do you reckon?
  • Options
    I won't be. I have taken advice from the faster runners plus my body is also telling me to slow down.