Options

How Seriously Do You Take It All?

Is running an obsession you wish to own up to?

Is it a healthy pastime that has had unhealthy consequences because you pushed it too far? Have you come up to find your brother in bed with your Missus?

Do you get anxious if you're 5 seconds outside of your PB? Or suicidal because you've not been able to train for a week because ... oh no! ... you've been on holiday?

In short, has it completely taken you over and distorted your perspective? Are you a runner who finds a bit of time to have a life also, rather than vice versa?

Do you flounce off in a bitchy huff because people think you're "weird" and "obsessed"?

Let's have our own online version of Trisha? We need to, because some people on here are obsessed, methinks.

How seriously out of 10 do you take it?

For me, 3/10.

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately if I took it more seriously I reckon I would be a whole lot better than I am now.
    I run to live not the other way round - sorry!
  • Options
    oops about 3/10 for me too
  • Options
    1/10 at a push. I'd rather play poker and eat burgers than go on a long run. I just do it for the benefits.
  • Options
    I have taken it seriously but I've never been depressed because of it - maybe frustrated when I've been injured. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with people taking it very seriously, after all you've got to do something with your time.

For me though one reason I do more cycling now is because it's more social - I was doing most of my running on my own whereas I do a lot of cycling with others. If I was in a job that involved a lot of people contact then the solitary nature of running (for me) wouldn't have been so much of a problem.
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    It's all relative isn't it really. What some people think is obsessive, others might find normal. People I work with think I'm 'mad' and I've done three runs this year with so far only 3 races entered.

It's certainly not taking over my life, rather it has greatly enhanced it in terms of fitness, motivation, goal setting and social life.

I always try to get out at least twice a week and do feel a little annoyed with myself if I can't, because it's probably down to laziness rather than anything else. However, if I do miss a run for whatever reason, it's not a problem. But when I do run, I take it seriously. I try my best, I've got a training plan for up and coming half marathons and I try and push myself as hard as I can.

Not sure I can really give it a score. How about 10/10 for changing my life? Or 5/10 for how seriusly I take it, in terms of being obsessed with it.

:-)
  • Options
    Coops - you're on benefits?
  • Options
    PMSL! Oh yeah.......it does read like that. Oops.
  • Options

"Obsessed" is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated
  • Options
    9/10 for me, sorry to say. But I am the obsessive sort.

I'm not hell bent on becoming the next running superhero, and not overly competitive, but I'm up out of bed at all sorts of daft hours running in the dark at the moment, whatever the weather.

I do it to keep fit, control weight and get out of doors, I'm the outside type. The worse the weather is, the tougher my fell runs are, the more fun I am having.

Put me in a mental home.
  • Options
    I am following a 6 day per week plan, and you have to be a bit obsessive to follow it - I take the upcoming Boston marathon very seriously. What upsets me is if people (mostly work) assume I can drop a training session at a moments notice without consequence - "well it's not like its important!" - so don't believe in giving me any information to allow me to plan my runs around work and social life. Fortunately I've only ever missed recovery runs rather than key sessions. It's difficult to build your mileage up if you keep missing runs.

If you think that is obsessive you should see the training I used to do when I was competing as a pro windsurfer (well, semi-pro - I did have a day job). Running is easy!
  • Options
    Sure I am obsessed about running. Running is important to me,as is my family and my career.

So...

Family 10/10
    Career 10/10
    Running 10/10

There are worse things to be obsessed about,smoking,sex,television,whether the mrs. is in bed with my sister (don't have a brother),food,television,the queen and the royal family,television etc.

I am an all or nothing person,won't start something if I am not going to give everything. This might be a bad thing,but hey,so is too much television :o)

• Options
    *makes a note of Gold Rush's quote*
  • Options
    "Obsessed" is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated
    unquote

Can't agree with that.

"Dedication" relates, in my dictionary, to the unswerving pursuit of a worthy goal.
    "Obsession" relates to an unhealthy prediliction to an activity to the exclusion of normal functioning.

The question is, what should recreational runners be dedicated to, beyond the pursuit of fitness and fun? The more the goal distends beyond these goals and morphs into the sort of serious attitude of professional sportsmen, the more I think it tends towards obsession; because the rewards and support structure differ vastly for the two different types of runner.

That original quote reminds me of some American infomercial thing. "Don't quit, man!"

"RUN THROUGH THE PAIN!"
  • Options
    I use running as a coping mechanism. Have done since a teenager...

Things growing and changing, not sure I like it .... go for a run
    boyfriend dumped me .... go for a run
    Mum and Dad said No.... go for a run
    Pre wedding jitters .... go for a run
    Divorce proceedings .... go for a run
    Getting married again jitters .... go for a run
    Marriage problems ... go for a run

Not saying I'm obsessed but I'd hate to think what would be left of me if I didn't have it to fall back on. Think I'd be on pills so 9/10 methinks.
  • Options
    Portaloo, you are confusing commitment with obsession.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    thanks not obsession, that just stupid

I'd give myself a 9 or 10 out of 10, but would not letting running harm:

1. my family
    2. me
    3. doing my job well enough
  • Options
    That's not obsession FF. That's running as a coping mechanism.

Now if you were always out running and that caused the divorce, then that would be worth 9/10.
  • Options
    If you'd have asked me the question about football, I'd have said 10. Now that is an obsession, and relationship breaker.

"It's the football or me?"

"OK, can you shut the door on your way out please"....
  • Options
    8/10 for me, would describe myself as determined rather then obsessed. Used to take it too seriously, got down when a few seconds out of pb etc. Now I have targets, I will acheive them, just doesn't have to be tomorrow!
  • Options
    good... so there are other people out there who are as bad (good?) as me.
  • Options
    Phew! Hate to have OCD or something. Do you think some people get addicted to the natural endorphins produced by running cos I'm a miserable b*tch if I can't get out 3 times a week?
  • Options
    Fat Fyes - all the difficult stuff in your life happens just before you go running. Maybe if you stopped running, the difficult stuff would have nothing to happen just before.
  • Options
    What are you like if you do run 3 times a week FF?
  • Options
    3/10 unless I have a goal when it becomes 8/10...........don't think I can ever be obsessed to be 10/10...........although training for an Ironman did sort of take over my life completely

but running is just part of a lifestyle which also takes in triathlon, biking, skiing........and any other mad activity that takes my fancy
  • Options
    That would leave me with no breasts methinks?? fetcheveryone!
  • Options
    Notsure I'm obsessed by running, was obsessed by Ironman - 10 out of 10. took over family, work, waking thoughts etc.

This year I'm back to plain old running with a bit of tri thrown in. Obsession starts again Nov 2006 - Can't wait!
  • Options
    OK Danny T, I'm sometimes a miserable b*tch anyway but generally I'm one of those embarrassing mums who picks there kids up from school on rollerblades!

Sorry kids.
  • Options
    TC - you and me both matey..........

although I may have to wait another year as I have pencilled in some other mad plans for 2007 already.............90km ski race and Ultratrail..............

I NEED new challenges - I guess that's obsessive
  • Options
    I wouldn't say I'm obsessed. I only train 3 times a week but that's cos I've been scared of over running and getting injured (which has happened too many times). That said when I do run I take it pretty seriously even though I'm average (or just below!).

I also plan most things I do around races/training!

If obsessed means dreaming about trying on loads of different pairs of Asics 2100's in like I did last night then I suppose I am.

6/10