Options

How Seriously Do You Take It All?

2»

Comments

• Options
    FF - I guess it would make promoting the values of the NCT a bit more difficult.
  • Options
    Not sure about that FB, unless you get obsessed when tackling a challenge.

Everyone should keep on pushing themselves whether it's physical fitness, work, home life etc - think the essential part is to keep working on all of them.

If we don't push ourselves we get bored quickly, no matter what field it is in.

But if you're pushing like mad in your running and neglecting everything else >>> obsessed (in my book).
  • Options
    hmm, tough one, when i first started running because a sort of enforced entry to a 5k i hated it with a passion,was never running again etc etc
    race over, next day there i was at my own free will out for a run,(doing 1/2 mara in 2 wks) it's not my life, i've missed lots runs due to my social life but i do get miserable if i cant run

i'd say 4/10 at push
  • Options
    about 7/10 for me

Hate to be ill when i'm training towards something - run while im on hiliday

but i can take time of at christmas etc

Training helped me cope with depresion so its high up on my list of things im serious about
  • Options
    About 4 for me now. Used to be 9 or more.
  • Options
    5/10 when I can, 9/10 when I can't. I tend to take things for granted when I have them.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Obsession? Aaaah. The smell of it.

:oD
  • Options
    gumps - about 4 - you sure about that??? I'd say you were closer to the 9 at the mo.......
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    you got a pass for 2007 then TC ??
  • Options
    FB pretty sure - I'm doing lots of useless stuff at teh moment and really need to focus. May get up to 8 out of 10. Swimming is 1 out of 10. Should be 10 but no teachers want me.

I guess the scale changes for some - my 9 out of 10 involved 60-100 mile weeks of running.
  • Options
    Fetcheveryone: We've got models for that sort of stuff and I'm not really an NCT type person if I'm honest. One good point would be the amount of money I could save on shock absorbers .... they're £25 a throw!!
  • Options
    Is running an obsession you wish to own up to?

Do you get anxious if you're 5 seconds outside of your PB?

Yep, Leeds Abbey Dash this year

Or suicidal because you've not been able to train for a week because ... oh no! ... you've been on holiday?

You'll have to explain `not been able to train for a week'. Or a day...

In short, has it completely taken you over and distorted your perspective? Are you a runner who finds a bit of time to have a life also, rather than vice versa?

Again `perspective' and `have a life' are alien concepts...

Do you flounce off in a bitchy huff because people think you're "weird" and "obsessed"?

No I love it.

Let's have our own online version of Trisha? We need to, because some people on here are obsessed, methinks.

Yeah, me too. The suckers!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Lol BR.

You don't have to be obsessed to be dedicated to running.

Do I ignore other things in my life-no
    Do I ignore my family or work-no
    Can I have a day off without worry-yes
    A week-yes if I want one
    Do I do other things-yes, but maybe don't give them as much dedication

How serious do I take running-9/10

I love it!!
  • Options
    I'm normally a 5/10 but my PB is 8/10 for the Woburn 10k in 2005. I'm aiming to get for a new PB of 9/10 for the Paris marathon this year...

Having an event to focus on certainly adds to the commitment.

• Options
    guess i'm pretty "dedicated" this year. i have three main hobbies - tri training, cooking and studying for a maths degree.

i'll give training a 9/10

work only gets a 6/10
    fiance definitely a 10/10!
    cooking gets 10/10
    maths degree a 9/10

i'm pretty busy for sure. but as i happily ignore the stuff that other people seem to think is important in life (cleaning the house, tv, football etc) i seem to get by :-)
  • Options
    On a /10 scale...

Family 10/10
    Running 10/10
    Work 5/10

Other leisure stuff 3/10
  • Options
  • Options
    8/10 at present. He probably comes under `other leisure stuff' which comes and goes - cricket, family and local history and the works of P.G. Wodehouse:-)
  • Options
    I constantly battle with myself.

In my mind I take it seriously but my body isnt that fussed.

Or maybe its the other way around. Either way I go through cycles where I am very serious about it to an almost unhealthy level to periods where it means nothing and I just cant be bothered.
  • Options
    9/10 probably, enjoy it a lot, has turned my life, self-confidence, body image, body itself, all around. Gives me the release I need and funnels my energy into something moderately constructive :O).

A fair part of it whilst running related I guess, isn't that much to do with running though. Time spent on here, a lot of the people I chat too, for that matter a fair proportion of my better friends are runners too so odds on we're often talking about running :O). Helps having a training group with all of us 17-25.
  • Options
    B, you really sound like you're defining "obsession" to be "a level of dedication that is greater than I'm personally prepared to give". The amount of time that training hard for a marathon is less than a lot of people spend watching TV each week. "Obession" is an extremely loaded word.

Personally, does my work suffer because of my running? Well yes, I'm not prepared to work more than 40 hours a week as I need training time. Some might call that healthy, others negligent of my "career". Does my running cause my personal relationships to suffer? No. I'd still claim at least 9/10 for training right now though.

• Options
    It is shocking just how much TV people watch and how much children play computer games.

My younger brother plays on Diablo 2, for up to 3 hours at a go, having finished the actual game months ago he now just spends the time running around the various worlds picking up items and selling htem onto others in the virtual economy they have set up on there- to me that seems a little weird.

Other people I know watch 3-4 hours minimum of television a night, often the same programmes as they've seen before but repeats.

Yet running the most natural human activity, for 10 miles a day is weird, obsessive and strange. Funny old world isn't it :I
  • Options
    Yeah I take it seriously, but have done more so in the last year. I'm realising what my potential is now and what with future harder work, could be. It's exciting.

I think about it often, and plan my spare time around it, and even when I'm busy I'll look to fit in runs. I'm always trying to make future plans and then work accordingly to them by building up. I do have another life besides running , but running is something I've realised I'm good at and want to get much better at, by breaking times and limits.

Just now then? 8/10
  • Options
    Venom - yeah, I agree.

I thought I could easily define "obsessed" and distinguish it from "committed", but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe you're obsessed if you put running before everything else and are deluded about what you can achieve, ie you give everything to achieve unrealistic goals.

Maybe I have too much time to think at the mo - my foot is giving me probs and haven't run for 2.5 weeks! But I don't seem that bothered! Although I'm starting to get fed up of my foot killing me.
  • Options
    Is that 10 kilometres or miles?