Options

Sub 5 hours

Comments

• Options
    RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Had a lovely evening out - lovely meal - booze involved of course. I think it was the first time I have drunk since Xmas - feeling a bit tipsy but what the hell!

off to bed now - gonna drink loads of water first though to keep the dreaded goblins (now I know what they are) at bay....

Diana B - how is Tom getting on?
  • Options
    LSR planned, route measured, accompanying friend on bike primed, porridge eaten....
    BUT.... we have thick fog and the weather peeps say it could last all day. Looks like I am going to have to drive to the gym and spend 2 hours on the treadmill - yuk!
  • Options
    RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Sarah - we have bright daylight here in London - just went past son's bedroom and thought he had left his light on as it was so bright.

I thought we were supposed to be getting a really cold spell?

And there are no goblins this morning. Result!
  • Options
    Hi All - Had a bright cold sunny day in Korea as well. I did cross training yesterday - I walk up the mountain/hill at the back of the hotel. Korean hill paths go straight up, they just add steps instead of bends when it get even steeper. I was out for 4.5 hours and my quads could still feel it. I was wondering if it will work for training for IOW if walk up it once a week. I felt really unfit with rubbery legs, out of breath and feeling my heart beat.

So I still haven't been for a run. It's meant to get really cold here next week.

Good luck with the LSR's today peeps.
  • Options
    Sarah good luck with whatever you decided. Its a dull but clear day here in Aberdeen.

Loulou I think 4.5hours of walking up and down a hill does count as x-training.

Off to x-c race soon, nice to get a lie in ocasionally.
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Morning all,
    Glad that you enjoyed your birfday Roobarb, and that the goblins stayed away!

It's a lovely morning again here. Bright and dry, albeit chilly. Have decided on a walk and pub lunch. Will just be a stroll though - nothing like 4.5 hours up and down mountains!
  • Options
    Happy birthday Roobarb and no hangover - lucky thing.

Just returned from a lovely 12.7m long run. Got everything right - drinks, clothing, pace. The first time I've ever run that far without thinking I was going to die at mile 11! It was cold though - my sweat turned to frost on the sleeves of my running top.

Good luck Jane with x-c and hope you all have nice runs/walks/lie ins today.
  • Options
    Roobarb, you are too powerful for the goblins!!! Hooray!!!!!!

Jane, good luck with the x-c race look forward to hearing all about it!

It's beautiful and sunny down here today. It's cold though, but I have found a running friend and we're going to hit the sea front later! She's going to run 6 of my 12 with me and then meet me back at hers with jelly babies and goodies for me!! Hooray!

SA, good luck with 2 hours on the treddy! Does your gym have tv? You could time it right and watch something good on there to make the time pass more quickly?
  • Options
    back- by the time I left gym it was sunny there but as soon as I got my side of the river the fog was bad again and the lanes round home wouldnt be safe to run so I guess I made the right decision.
    Didnt quite manage the full 2hours but that was mostly the boredom factor. Steve Wright's Love songs followed by Countryfile on the TV did help though!
    Now off to make magic tea and have the weekly treat of choccy suggestive biscuits.
    Hope you have all had good runs wherever you've done them!
  • Options
    Hello. Belated birthday greetings Roobarb. I did 12 miles this morning - beautiful sunshine, bulbs peeking through and gambolling lambs - took me 2 hours 17 minutes. Long Tall John met me half way with a bottle of lucozade Sport. I'm going to have to buy a belt to carry mobile / tissues / jelly babies and drinks for these longer runs. I think I'd prefer something around my waist to on my back. Any suggestions of make to go for?
  • Options
    well done to those who ran long today.

x-c race it was cool,clear and a slight wind. All I can really say about the course was you had the choice of running in long grass or a flatten muddy path, and we had to run or walk in my case through ankle deep mud a couple of times. I don't remember any flat bits it was either uphill or down. Anyway supposed to be 3 miles and I finished in 26.25 which means the course was probably short as I have never ran that fast in my life.

Glad I did it and I did enjoy the challenge of getting round the course which I deliberately chose not to walk round beforehand.
  • Options
    Well done Jane, bloody good effort. Well done to all on your LSR today.

I went out and met a pal at 4M and left her at her car at 12M and ran home did 16.5M when I meant to do 14M... ha ha ha. What an idiot. Having my mate there was great as it meant I had to run at her pace and avoided starting off too fast and having nothing left. She also was pleased as she has never run 8M before.

Maintained correct pace throughout of 9.5 min mile and was 2hrs 42min. Have a tough hill near my flat and I was chuffed to have the energy left to belt up it, even if I sounded like a lung had collasped. Sat like an old woman now with feet in cold water (sadly I haven't got a bath).

I'm pleased to be able to run that at this stage and hope it's a sign of a good year for me. Going to have an easier week next week - hooray.
  • Options
    katypie well done a very good effort and at a terrific pace as well.
  • Options
    Jane - you seem consistently fast to me - distance was probably spot on. Katypie also fast as usual. You are my inspiration both of you!

LTS - I have a Nathan waistpack and also as I have a gilet with deep pockets I can fit in a medium Runaid bottle in it. I can't run holding the Runaid bottle though. I realised today that Lucozade sport turns the white semi-transparent plastic in the bottles orange. The waistpack is quite comfortable. I had both bottles with me today, which was fine, but they wouldn't be enough for more than 15 miles.
  • Options
    LTS

I have a waist style Camelback and found it fine in training etc but in the marathon in 2003 I found it aggravated an already dicky tummy.. equally the ruck sack style I have also chafes on the shoulders when I wear a vest and under my bra from the sweat. Male chums swear by the nathan neoprene jobs.

Speaking of lucozade sport I thought I'd have a taste test and try powerade... yuck! Really dinnae like it :)

I was sreeching like Aled Jones when I was in the shower post run - chafing under my bra fastening area..!!!
  • Options
    I struggle to run with anything, so I tuck my ipod into my sports bra (which is also where tissues, plasters and lucozade sweets ended up at FLM last year!!) and then use the running aid bottles.

Managed a 2hour 31 12 miles today, which in a way I was a little disappointed with as my half marathon pb is 2:46 and I've not really made any improvement on my speed since last year :o( Oh well, time to bring on the speedwork maybe?

Well done Jane and KP on your times today! You're far too speedy for my approval!! ;o)
  • Options
    Where is Hippo? Not seen her about for a while....shall we get a gin bottle out and see if that tempts her back?

Also, forgot to say earlier...I'm with Roobarb; how is Diana B's Tom getting on? (Diana too of course, we're here to help you too!) xx
  • Options
    Miss Delia Hippo is running Helsby half this weekend.
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Well done Jane and KP, some good, fast running from both of you.

LTS, I have a 'Hilly' waist belt for my drink bottle. I do find that it seems to aggravate my tendancy to an upset tum, but that seems less if I wear it back to front. That also means that I can take the drink out with my left hand which, do to the angle of the pocket, I can't do when it's on my back. There's a small zip pocket and a pouch for mobi or gels as well as the bottle pocket.
  • Options
    Lucky you Miss D! I have enough of a problem getting the boobs into my sports bra without trying to add anything else!! And as for getting the bra off again after the run.. well that requires the flexibility of a contortionist and the strength of a powerlifter to separate soaking wet stretchy stuff from sweaty self.... !
  • Options
    Afternoon peeps, hello to old and new. Some of you might remember me from last year. I have some fab news...I'm pregnant so defo won't be running this year but will keep popping in from time to time to see how you are getting on.

mr. stonkin' is running so I will be on the course shouting encouragement as you all run by.

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Hello,

Went for LSR yesterday and ended up very slow, Mr TS had a bad pain in his calf so we walked the last half, so did 10 miles in 2:20!! I have told him to rest it now until later in the week. Need to up the mileage a little , we are running a mile or so behind schedule.

Happy birthday for yesterday Roobarb.

I ran yesterday with a bottle belt, not a very good one, just a big bottle holder on the back and I have to say, I found it really uncomfortable. I used it at FLM last year and it was OK as I didn't carry any drinks, just sweeties and emergency things. I am going to organise a better one for this year that sits a bit more comfortably.

Diana D, I think we may do or 12 miles next week in the Forest, I want a nice flat circular route - know of any??

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Hi Stonking!

Welcome back and congratulations!! :)
  • Options
    Roobarb-happy birthday
  • Options
    OOOOOOOOOOH
    Stonking-what lovely news
  • Options
    hi everyone and well done for the the LSR (I'm starting getting my head around this acronymus you use: but what is IOW??). Jane and KP you are amazing!

I did my first 12m ever today in 2:13:51 with an average pace of 11:09. Still too fast I reckon considering all the advice from shades, but I really find difficult to pace myself. Since I have never raced before, I don't have a PB to go by. But when I run I try to undertsand what my body can do and I was fine running with that pace and I'm fine now. What do you think? Shall I really try to slow down?

It's so cold here!!

What are jelly babies?
  • Options
    So what mileage are you all up to at the moment. mr Sb did 10 yesterday and his legs are knackered today.

Monika - JB's are sweets but they made me feel sick last year.
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Mokina, am presuming IOW is Isle of Wight.

Congratulations SB, when is baby SB due?

LTS, I can't stand anything round my sensitive tum so I use the bra technique a la Miss Delia style too.....also run with shorts with pockets in. Got gels and sweeties in and it worked well in Dublin.

• Options
    RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    SB - brilliant news! When's the little cherub due?

Mokina - IOW is Isle of Wight (marathon on 21st May this year). And Jelly Babies are sweets - you can find them at newsagents. Some people use them on their long runs as energy boosters - don't like them personally but then i never have really. Shades, Jane someone else more experienced should be able to advise you about your speed on long runs. The three runs I have done this week, I have purposely kept at between 11 and 11:30 - I usually run at around 10min miling.

And some really good runs this weekend. Jane and KP - you are both running so well at the moment. You'll have to do Loch Ness this year Jane to beat last year's time!!

How did your half go Hippo?

• Options
    Hello. Thanks for advice about belts to carry drinks - it doesn't seem as if there's a perfect one and you can't tell until you've done a long run and tried to carry lots of drink I suppose. I think I will try and buy a smallish one and then have to do longish loops coming back to the car for extra drinks.
    Mokina - jelly babies are sweeties!
    I'm really pleased with my progress this week, I've felt strong and well but it's not a good time of the month next week and I think I might struggle a bit. And I've got a hilly 10 mile race next Sunday.