Options

Waddling through

2»

Comments

• Options
    AnnieD. I would have thought that if you did 18 miles in 3.15 you will be too fast for GYR. Why don't you try sub 5??? That's what I plan to do and I am a little slower than you.

Good Luck
  • Options
    RRR
    Thanks for the advice. Will go for it.
  • Options
    AnnieD - go for the sub 5hr, think you would find it better. This is what I am hoping to do too.
  • Options
    Cathy,

I can't run anywhere near you. You will have me in stitches all the way around. I have read a number of your msgs....

:))))
  • Options
    Is anyone planning to try running 1 mile and walking 1 minute? I find the GYR walk breaks a bit too frequent for me and prefer to walk for 60secs when I take on water and jelly babies(each mile after 3 mile mark).
  • Options
    I hope to go with the sub 5hr, PB for half mara is 2.19 so nearly recommended 2.15.

Wearing flo pink vest, along with other girlies from my club!!
  • Options
    I am planning on the 1 minute per mile walking break, I tried on some long runs and it seems to work (looking at around 5 hours on the days).
  • Options
    I really meant day - honest !
  • Options
    DavidD - depends on how fast you are running each mile ? but it does sound sensible, especially walking for your food breaks.
    I am just hoping to still be running at 20 miles so bit of a plodder; I'll be at the back with a note from Matron and rather dodgy pink hair, vest and fingernails...
  • Options
    DavidD, I did my first two marathons in 2000 and 2001 using a run 1 minute 15 seconds walk 45 seconds schedule from start to finish. It worked well for me and in 2001 I finished in 4:35. There are only two problems:

1). when you are running you are faster than anyone around you and so you have to weave in and out of the traffic and you must stay close to the side of the road so that when you walk you can get out of other peoples way.

2). When you start walking in the first half people give you a lot of chat like "Come on!, its too soon to start walking". Just keep focused and run/walk your own race.

On the positive side you get to enjoy a lot more of the marathon during the walking bits.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Yes - I'm planning to run a mile, then walk for about a minute. I used to do the 5 minute run, 1 minute walk, but found the stop start too much for my knees. I tried the run a mile thing on my last 20 mile run and found it really worked. I'm incredibly slow though (and I mean slow, ie 15 minute mile) so I'll be in the last 100 people going on last year's results. I don't care though! I just want to finish! Good luck to everybody, and I'll be the fat bird at the back with the baggy t shirt.
  • Options
    Good Luck to you girlie.

We're all in it together....

You're as much a star as the runner doing 2.56 mins....

• Options
    Charlotte - I'm so excited, I've found someone else who's a 15 minute miler - wow! I've been progressively raising my expected finishing time throughout training and think rather depressingly I'll be in the 6hr+ camp. (Unfortunately, I'll be in the 4:30 pen unless I can shift back at registration.) What's your number? I'm 45125 in a turquoise top with 'Clare' on the front - let me know and we might meet up.
    MB
  • Options
    Mb, Charlotte,
    I'm another fat bird at the back!
    I'm no 53000 and something, I'll have a pale blue running water vest on, with Karen across the front. If I get around in 6 1/2 hours I'll be pleased!
  • Options
    Can't remember what my number is 41,500 and something. I've got blue shorts, and not sure which t shirt yet. I'm sure we'll all find each other by about 12 miles though!
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone. See you at the back.
  • Options
    FGS - is that you in this month's RW in the human story bit? If so, wow, can I have your autograph? :-)
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Also FGS, are you one of the running sisters? I'm sure I've seen your name on my emails :-) More power to you, and I'll see you at the back. Were you on my right at Silverstone, near the start, also in URWFRC kit?
  • Options
    I did it!!!! With two bad injuries that stressed me out all week. On Friday it was touch and go as to whether I was even going to do it. So I ran the first few miles, then walked, then ran, then walked for the rest of the way. I did it in 7 hours. Well done to all of you who started. Let me know if you were at the back aswell, we probably chatted along the way!
  • Options
    Well done Charlotte! I was originally aiming for sub 5 but missed two weeks training on one injury in Feb and the last four weeks on another that I nearly pulled out for on Thursday. My injury didn't really give me any problems surprisingly on day but finished in about 6 hours 26 after walking the last seven miles. I really enjoyed it though and really want to have another go and do myself justice this time!
    Well Done!
  • Options
    well done everyone! I was at the back too, think I finished in about 5.45. Am disappointed with the time cos wanted to finish in sub 5, but got knocked sideways by the heat! Is anyone else bright red and virtually crippled today? When will the aching go?
  • Options
    Well done all.

I stupidly thought I would do 4.30 ish and came in at 5.15.

Started with sub4.30 group realised I would collapse if I continued so gave up that one about 7 miles. At 7 miles onwards started to enjoy the race with no pressure of keeping up with the pacer.

Come 20 miles, enjoyment had dehydrated!!! :) Last slog was called for.

Great day all round.

Is that Rodders/Redders??? Didn't see you at the hotel?
  • Options
    Well done to all those who completed the marathon especially Chris Paisley from Corsham running club, our other member had the misfortune of spending the from the mONDAY in hospital and was really miffed could not run in Flora. Still Angela there is always next year!! One last welldone for Jane Tomlinson (sorry is mispelt).
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Apparently there were only 183 DNFs in the whole race. Plodders get there in the end :-)
  • Options
    hehehehe
    Including the fantastic Zola Budd
  • Options
    Well, we can hold our head high and in conversation, tell people we beat Zola Budd in the Marathon!!!! No need to say much else.

That sounds good anyway
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Really? I didn't know that. I was aware that Jane Tomlinson and John Bingham both had a tough race but they did finish. What happened to Zola?
  • Options
    zola dropped out
    what a surprise!
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    It's one of those events where everyone is determined to finish, almost past sanity. DNF's were very few, and mostly blue-light jobs. Is Zola OK?
  • Options
    Just read the John Bingham article 'Meet the Penguin'.

Excellent.

I notice the penguin is trying to find a more appropriate word to describe his distinctive style of running - suggest 'the penguin shuffle'. Nice and steady just gliding along, fairly slow.

Or, maybe, 'the penguin chug'.
    Just chugging along, steady pace, but of the slower kind.