Options

SUGARFREE ME - a month without the deadly white powder

Comments

• Options
    Stellina....50kgs for 167 is not a goal for a healthy adult runner. So the half of you that feels cheated might need a little help to understand the balance....easier said than done - good luck & hugs
  • Options
    Reiki, it took me 3hrs 21 minutes to run 21 miles... not so impressive!

Hecken, I know when I was 50kg, I literally could not eat more than half a carrot and had concave boobs. My nose, on the other hand, looked enormous on my sunken cheeks.

Hey girls, it's Easter! Did you have a good day?
  • Options
    lol....I'd be delighted with 3:21 for 21 miles. I took just under 6 hours today for 26.2, so must have gone through 21 in around 5 hours!!
  • Options
    Stellina, am glad you're listening to your body too and have made the executive decision to stop the cabbage soup experiment. Nothing is worth risking health! Ever. So I shall be bearing in mind your experience and be very careful myself this week. Am starving as I type this and not exactly looking forward to a breakfast of vegetables. But am looking forward to my potatoe tonight and my salad at lunch. I think my concern is the lack of protein for the majority of this, and yes, some carbs will be nice. Can't wait for the brown rice day!

As well, I doubt that you need / have much weight to shift anyway Stellina. Acceptance of our bodies as we get older is a hard pill to swallow. Chick - don't I know it!

• Options
    Jebus - 21 miles and 26.2 miles for you on a Sunday. Must make my piddly 16k seem like barely a warm up to you two!

Vegetables for breakfast today. Ummm, yum? Courgettes, yes, Hecken you and me. What you doing with yours? I'm sure something defo more tasty than mine. We call then zuchinni in Canada.

Better run. SOME of us have to work this Easter Monday. Boo.

Will check in tongight. Yesterday was starving, hopefully veggie day will be more filling.

Day 1:
    3 apples
    3 kiwis
    2 plums
    1/2 punnet of strawberries
    1 carton of cranberry juice
    3 bowls soup
    1 cup tea w/ skimmed milk
    and a grumpy face for most the day as Mr HJ demolished his egg and had his special homemade from scratch mac and cheese.
    Evil.
  • Options
    well done Heckenhocker!! great stuff.

HJ - that was very restrained...
  • Options
    ummm....I won't be doing a run that long again for...well possibly ever!! Sheer madness....I'm going to work on speed as my next goal - want to get under 60 minutes for 10k. The thought of my long run being "only" 10 miles is really cheering :-)

Happy soup & veg day!
  • Options
    Hecken - fantastic! I have never run more than 21 miles so I'm in absolute awe, well done girl.

HJ, for me a breakfst of tomatoes and cucumber with oregano on the veg day was da bizness.

Today, after yesterday's marmite sandwiches, I had a brilliant run!

2.2 miles in 18.35
    and back, faster, in 17.30

I felt like myself again!

And after a b'fast of porridge (no sugar) fruit and protein derink I was able to attack the house and clean the bathroom singing and being really active whereas in the past few days I've only been moping in front of the PC.
  • Options
    So the moral for me is:
    these 5 days of cabbage soup have been grat to shift, prbably about 1 pound of fat,

BUT

they have made my life miserable.

and my runs crap.

THEREFORE

shall i do it again? Possibly after major excess events, like xmas, but not as a lifestyle choice.

ok, lunch now, have a good day all, the weather seems to be nicer!
  • Options
    Day 2...

did i cheat? did i cheat?

YES!!!!

i'm so bad...but i just love my coffee too much! I had a cup of tea with skimmed milk this morning, and it just so wasn't the same. by the time i got to the office i was dying for a coffee...so i gave in...twice.

But of all the cheats i could have done, i think it's fairly forgiveable and i'm not going to beat myself up over it. in fact, i think i'm going to just have coffee instead of tea (that i rarely drink anyway) and that's that.

(don't know who i'm convincing here...)
  • Options
    Anyhoo...

Day 2

Carrots - enough to make the Easter bunny sick of them.

Courgettes sticks - not nearly as many as the carrots as they're just not that nice on their own.

Huge salad for lunch with side of steamed brocolli and a hot chili for flavour.

Can't wait for my potato. Have to admit, it's huge. Drool.

5k on the treadmill on the hill training cycle thingy, which was very good and hard.

I thought yesterday (fruit day) was difficult and couldn't wait for today (veg day)as veg are more 'fillling', but it was actually just as hard as I really missed eating my apples and bananas and raisins and all that juicy sweetness. I think tomorrow will be good as it's fruit AND veg day and planning on gorging myself on both.

Bum not too too windy as of yet...though Mr HJ might differ...

• Options
    HeeJ, sweetie, keep it up, it's really hard going, especially in the evening!

Well done XXX
  • Options
    Thanks babes. xox

It is a lot harder than I thought it would be. After doing the sugarfree month I thought one week would be a breeze. But I guess with the sugarfree month, we still got to eat FOOD!

I've not had soup with every meal and I know that's a no no too, but I just can't bear the idea of eating it 2-3 times a day when there are meals I can get away without it. Like last night, veg day, I had a big baked potato with steamed veg and a chili for my dinner last night and it was wonderful! I was guenuinely full. Am actually going to eat my baked potato like that again it was so good with just the butter and veg.

Am planning lots of fruit for brekkie and snacks today and more veg for lunch and will have soup for dinner tonight. I'm finding it hard to have soup for lunch as I don't want to explain to people that I'm doing this and also, with all the cabbage, it is quite pungent to bring into the office everyday. They already know I'm obsessed with fruit and veg so when they see me eating that they aren't suspicious of any diet going-ons. But suppose I'll defo have to bring some in tomorrow as it's banana / soup day and I don't think I'll get through the day on banana's alone.

Stellina, how are you feeling now? Better? It's amazing what your body can tell you isn't it? And it really does go to show how much food and nutrition really do effect everything not just our body's but our minds!
  • Options

HeeJ,

yesterday I had a great day, was able to run strongly, clean the house, play happily with the kids and go shopping (on foot) in the afternoon. I learnt a big lesson about my body, and mostly that my weight is ok - in the changing rooms at tk maxx I tried a top on and the light was very unflattering - I noticed that my boobs are disappearing!

HeeJ, have you noticed that the soup seems ok on day one, less ok on day two and absolutely yucky on day three? and it's not because it's off, but because you get so so sick with it!!
  • Options
    The cabbage soup rating:

Haddie 7 days/7 - positive response - 5 kgs lots

Stellina 5 days /7 - mixed responde - 2kgs? lost (did not weigh at the beginning which was silly)

• Options
    Morning All,

I'm back! Wow never thought I'd say this but . . . . I'm gald to be in the office ! My hands are shot to pieces, no tights wearing for me for a while, more laders than a window cleaner. I can see why they call it hard labour! Oh well, mission accomplished and trench well and truely dug!

Took me a while to read all and cath up . . think I've cracked it now though, thanks to all regarding the "do I eat before I train?" querstion.

With regards to Alice in wonderland - can I be the Cheshire Cat (he was always my favorite, I'm drawn to happy smiley people)?

I have decided after reading the conversation raging over windy soup, that I might not bother for a bit, I was approaching it from a detox angle rather than diet. Having read a few articles on various sites over the weekend I think I'm what the running world would term as underweight. I'm 5"8 in my socks and vary between 50-55kg. As this week is getting a little more intense re: training schedule I don't want to feel week in anyway and I think the sensible thing for me to do would be to concentrate on my runing at the moment so, realy sorry to everyone for not going through with it but but just don't think it would be a very smart move at the moment.

Congratulations to everyone who made it to the gym and went for a run I was thinking of you while digging and wathing my trench fill up wiith rain water around me though.

Stellina I'm really impressed - you managed 5days and put in all that training - think I would have skipped the "dizzy feeling" and gone straight to "dead faint" and knowing my lucK this would have happened on the treadmill so I would have had "Navvy's" hand and friction burns usually only seen on Bikers. - Hmm that would have been an attractive look!

Thanks again for all of your tips and hope you don't mind me picking brains as I'm still a newie.

Bye for now.
  • Options
    Cheshire Ruth - if you even think of doing this diet we send the Runners' Police to your door. Same for Reikirabbit, ok?

Hey do you remember, we used to have a friend called Haddie....
  • Options
    understood!

yes, where is H?

Stellina, i checked the revs on the bike just now - i was doing 70-80 rpm on the upright bike, managed 20:59 for 5k so quite pleased! is this making more sense?

still slow compared though...

on the way back, in fantastic sunshine & clutching my purchases of mushrooms, apples, soya milk & fizzy water (ie carrying quite a lot in left arm), a kid on a bike ran into me from behind & has grazed my leg! this is the 3rd time i have been the victim of unskilled pavement cycling!! poor thing was really apologetic, started crying & everything.

just had a cocktail of chemicals, aka diet coke with lime.
  • Options
    To All (especially Reiki and her graze)

I'm going to make a public apology on behlaf of all unskilled pavement cyclers... me included...some while ago while mountain biking to Bakewell Show, feeling particulary smug with myself as I glided past the ques of vehicles on their way to the show an elderly lady opened her car door into my path and jettesoned me over a brick wall and I landed on the forecourt of the local 4X4 dealer (much to my horror!)

My bike was so mangled I couldn't ride it home and the very nice man from the 4X4 centre took me to the local Hospital for my eyebrow to be stitched back on - owch!

Anyway I learnt my lesson and now take my mountain bike strickly "offRoad" or pavements.

Where is Haddie . . I loved the DJ set he did over the weekend ... maybe he's done a forrest gump on us and Just KEPT ON RUNNING !

No need to send the Runing Police honest, so you agree then, I sould skip the windy soup diet for a bit. I managed ok last time but must admit I don't think I could cope with it and training.
  • Options
    Has anyone been watching a programme where Sally Gunnel and someone else(?) have been training random volenteers for the London (?) marathon? Caught the very end of it the other day, was really interesting .. does anyone out there know what I'm talking about? Would like to try and watch the rest of the programmes does anyone know when and what time it's on?

H - this ones for you......

Keep on running

keep on running

one fine day your gonna come way

Hey hey hey hey hey oh yeah your gonna come my way

(mummbles the rest as can't remember the words but you get the jist)

Alltogether now . . . Keep on running. . .

HELP I'm bored, just can't get back into it today and its bloomin' lovely outside!

LET ME OUT ! ! !
  • Options
    Ruth - the programme is called 'Run for glory' is on BBC2? 1? on Thursdays at 7 pm, and there is also a thread on it, where participants apparently post. I have managed to see only a couple of episodes, due to my physio's bad habit of giving me appointments that coincided with it.

Hecken I might see you on Sunday - now i forgot, are you running or supporting? I am supporting.
  • Options
    Are you at work Ruth? i am having a odd moment if quite when my eldest kiddie is watching scooby-doo and the youngest is destroying some young tender sunflower stems in the garden.
  • Options
    are you coming up to london, S? anyone else?
  • Options
    Yes I am, Reiki, I will be with the RW support group at Mudchute from 10 am onwards. It would be really good to meet, if you're planning to come give me a shout and I will give you my mobile no. so we can meet.
  • Options
    Oh I see reiki you haven't got email activated, if you're planning to come to Mudchute email me (link on my profile) and I will give you my mobile no for foolproof meeting.
  • Options
    thought i had! only one prob...i haven't got a mobile! will email you anyway!!!
  • Options
    Hi, yes I'm supporting on Sunday...group 4...see you there :-)

<lies back down on sofa for a little more rest>
  • Options
    Stellina - you nailed it on the head. Soup today was absolutely miserable to eat and the idea of a day of banana's and soup is not appealing at all. But think I might cope if I get through tomorrow - banana day - coz the day after i get to eat MEAT!

I don't think I'm doing too bad for energy, though on my way to the gym tonight I did feel a little light headed and tired, but fine once I got there. Mind, am feeling a bit light headed typing this now.

What I am feeling is bloody cranky! Kind of like how I feel when I get hypoglycemic-y, irritable, and have to stop myself from snapping at people for no reason. Like, Mr HJ was joshing around with me tonight and usually I think he is (mildly) amusing, tonight i just wanted to tell him to get bent - but really, i just need a big plate of food.

Am glad you're feeling better Stellina. I'm going to see how I get through tomorrow and ease up on the exercise a bit. Stepped on the scales tonight and have dropped a few pounds already...water retention I imagine...and to be honest, I don't trust the scales at the gym and I find them quite un-reliable.
  • Options
    Day 3

1/2 punnet strawberries (soon to become full punnet)
    1 apple
    1 plum
    1 pear
    1 punnet grapes
    1 coffee w/ skim milk
    1 coffee w/ soya milk
    salad w/ tomatos, carrots and raisins w/ side of steamed broccoli
    1 bowl soup
    1 lg glass of cranberry juice
    Circuits class at gym for 1 hour

And my daily 2+ litres of water

Also - I've been walking to wok lately, so that adds on about 1hr15mins fairly vigorous walking each day.

www.imcranky_gimmecarbs.co.uk