Options

I don't belieeeve it...

13»

Comments

• Options
    A-level percentages aren't unknown.
    You need 70% for an 'A' grade at A-level. Which obviously gives quite a lot of difference between the 'scraping an A' and the 'i could do this with my eyes shut' A-grades.
    And s really quite frustrating if you know you don't actually have to bother sittng your final A-level modules, 'cos you'll get the same grades anyway.
  • Options
    Slightly different Tack. I sat an exam to be a graded Track and Field Official.

I had to demonstrate an understanding of the rules but it also asked questions like the correct heights for Hurdles by Gender/Age gap and similarly the correct weight of throwing implements.

It had not practical. So first meeting the referee says you are graded, run the long jump ! Now I have been into Athletics for ages but it is still different actually doing it. Managed Ok although the event ran a bit slower until got into the swing of it.

Also the heights and weights question, what does that prove ? The reality is you take a crib sheet and look them up so don't NEED to know them. Indeed I would argue you should always look them up as a double check to make sure you get it right.

UKA are now teaching but officials are graded based on actual performance as witnessed by a higher grade official. The very top grades still take an exam.
  • Options
    plenty of lattitude in the marking though. the ones i do, the score sheets have a simple buttom to press to adjust everybodies' mark by +1% or -1% (ha ha as if that will ever happen).

so click-click-click-click-click-click-click and wow, the best marks ever, aren't we brilliant at setting and teaching syllabi
  • Options
    Actually most of my rocket-scientist friends going for tech jobs end up needing postgrad qualifications as well as the degree, and then you get employed on the basis of work you've done.
  • Options
    I know of an institution who if their students failed an exam in the summer gave them exactly the same exam questions at the resit in August. If they failed that they got the same paper the following June, and then August etc until they passed. As I understand it some students still took several attempts to get through. I could never understand how anyone could fail the exam second time round. I could even imagine the more astute student doing no work for the first time, getting the questions, and then just revising for the number of questions they need to answer to pass the exam with high marks. Or would this be too clever for many students these days?
  • Options
    Not true DG - it's 80% after the marks have been "standardised", but they won't always start from 70% before that.

The chances of getting the same grade if you don't set module is not high. It varies from subject to subject, but one module in my subject would typically be 90 out of 600. So if you've only sat 5 of the 6 then the max mark is 510, and you'd need 480 out of 510 would be an A regardless of the last module.

It wouldn't be possible to score any grade while still having modules to sit, because you'd have scored a max of 420 (worth a B) - okay - if that's all you need for your offer then fair enough, but you could still score a higher grade by sitting the remainder
  • Options
    think it was a half-module or something, & i'd already got the other half with full marks on coursework. but it is frustrating knowing that it doesn't actually make much difference if you 'coast', memorise the syllabus (got 98% average on Biology exams by doing that - which maks the whole process rather pointless 'cos you can't differentiate between photographic memories, the well-coached, and the truly good at the subject), or actually take an interest in the subject, read around it, do something other than jump-through-hoops exams, etc.
    Good way to put you right off actually learning anything.
  • Options
    I'd certainly agree that in my experience too much of the content can be memorised and would be against that for exactly the reasons that have been mentioned.

However, I don't think dismissing exams altogether because currently they have gone too far towards "memory based" stuff is valid.

As a teacher it ackshely really fecks me off that students who have an innate "feel" for the subject may not do that well