Options

London 2007

Comments

• Options
    Yesterday: 2 hours at 70-75% HR.

Today: 30 minutes easy and some upper body weights.

Tonight: pizza :-)
  • Options
    Tempo session for me last night. 1M jog, 4M av pace 6:45 and 1M jog.

Rest tonight and hopefully a second 22M in the morning. Throats been a little sore, so may have to abandon.

Katie - good going, whats the temp over there at the mo
  • Options
    Also a fan of the sis gels.

• Options
    Hi all, just thought I'd further KatieS' note about protein shakes. I happened to pop into my local Holland and Barrett today (Sadly I became a slave to the Myoplex shaakes in my old days and still go back every now and again), and the whey protein tubs are currently half price - everyone loves a bargain.

As Xerxes was stating weight from previous days, I thought I'd show off. Before I last decided to run a marathon (NY 2004) I was 16.5 stone (that's pretty massive for a lad who's 5'7"). I completed the marathon in 3:30.14 weighing in at a much healthier 11st 2lbs. Hard work though and since then I've put on 1.5 stones - what a fool.
  • Options
    Sorry, another thing I meant to ask as I got carried away talking about myself. I have never used energy gels before, just stuck to plain old water and lucozade. When do you find is the best time to use them on a run compared to energy drinks? My final 10K at New York took almost an hour and I'd like to avoid that this time round. Thanks.
  • Options
    Macca69 - I usually only take gels on runs over 16m. For these I take one just before I set off, then one every 5M. Has worked for me, I suppose a lot depends on how you have eaten up to the run and your ability to store energy though.

Best thing to do is experiment and see whats best as everyone will be different. Dont however wait until your race to see if it works, a lot of people do have stomach problems if not used to taking gels.

As per the threads above I'm going to try the SIS ones, as the lucozade ones have begun to make me gag, they are just too sweet and the texture is not to my palet.
  • Options
    Thanks Peekay, I think I'll give them a try. I always seem fine up to about 19/20 miles and then struggle from then on. Luckily I've got a lot of time before now and London, so I'll play about and see if they make any difference. Think I'll go straight for the SIS ones though.
  • Options
    evening all-

well after the exploits of last weeks marathon really pleased with how my body is feeling

decided tonite to do a longish run instead of tomorrow

covered 11miles in 1hr24mins

this is all part of my cunning plan for FLM
    start now with 11-16milers

get the 16s to 2hour runs before end of year

then the big long runs will not be as tough

well thats the plan
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

very tired, did fitness test at work today 1.5m in 9:06 (not that good, but then I had my leaving function last night......

Racing Woodstock 12 tomorrow

Forgot to welcome the newbies - so WELCOME.

Dont do Gels - cant stand them.....

Take care
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    KatieS - I like your diet comments. I too am trying to eat more to lose weight. Over the past year or so I've got into a really bad habit of drinking 3 or 4 mugs of coffee in the morning and missing breakfast. Then usually missing lunch and making up for it by drinking even more coffee. By the time I get home from work I am tired and hungry and attack the cheese while I am making dinner. I'll then eat dinner and drink a couple of glasses of wine before going to bed. This includes days when I run 5-6 miles at 6am.

I am now being strict with myself by having breakfast and making sure I take half an hour break at lunchtime to enable me to sit and enjoy food.

I am hoping I will lose that half a stone I just can't shift.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Can anyone give me advice regarding club speed sessions?

We are very much a social club and we run distance on the fells rather than shorter, harder sessions. Our usual runs last at least 2 hours, often closer to 3.

In the winter we run on the streets in our hilly town. A few of us are interested in making these nights more structured. At the moment we run up the hills then talk for 10 minutes at the top before moving off again!

What kind of sessions would be recommeded to suit everyone? Not many race and there will be 4 of us training for marathons but we don't need to do sessions just to suit us. I would like to draw up some variations which compliment each other and which all abilities can join in with if they so wish.

• Options
    Katie S

Thanks very much for your advice - are the Myoplex Milkshakes ready made or powder - where can I get these. I will also look for the Whey proten powder as well. Are these good ways of upping my calorie intake ? I need something convenient for work. Today my food intake was -

Breakfast - Oats so Simple (skimmed milk)
    Lunch - Tuna Mayo (low fat) sandwich - packet crisps (normally dont have the crisps)
    Afternoon 1 profiterole (spelling ?) 1 very small cup cake (wouldnt have had these but someones birthday)
    Tea - chicken curry rice (curry sauce in a jar from Tesco) 1 very small choclate muffin (my daughter made them wouldnt normally have had this)

Ran 5 miles as well before tea

I am getting worried about the weight now as I was 11st 2lb when I ran London 4 years ago, now 12st 7lb. Desperate to get it off, I feel uncomfortable and fat. I am running virtually everyday but its not shifting. I do drink but only on a Saturday.

I know the weight is affecting my running and that really upsets me - I am desperate to be back running 1:40 / 44 for halfs and I am still dreaming of 3:30 at London but with this weight I am miles away from that

To be truethfull I am a little depressed about it all. There got that off my chest

Any help tips more than grarefully accepted. Dont worry you wont hurt my feelings - I am thick skinned !!!!
  • Options
    mini-usual runs 2hrs thats a long time

we have in the past found a route
    a block round a housing estate

teamed up in 2s
    1st one of the 2 goes followed shortly by the 1st one in the 2nd group of 2
    etc

and try to catch the runner in front

also have a mile stretch where equal paced runners set of at various times in groups and all try to finish the mile togeather
  • Options
    Hi fat man (aka 3:30) here

Just been out for 3.8 miles in 33:51 - pathetice again

Felt slow heavy and honestly feel like packing it in - oh and my scales say I have put on 1.5 lb since Thursday

Depressed from Hayes
  • Options
    Anyone know how to work out my BMR (Basic Metopoblic Rate)

Facing up to the fact I am not eating enough so getting technical now !

Gary
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all, copying my race report if you wish to read...... 3:30 sorry dont have a clue about BMR.

Well ran Xerxes.

RACE REPORT - WOODSTOCK 12

This is the 3rd year that I have ran this very undulating 3 lap race and its still no easier.

Started the day off popping pills as shin was very painful, would normally have said blow it and not turned up, but was running this for charity with a team from work (which i left yesterday....)

The conditions were overcast and muggy, and after a slow warm up shin was killing me to the point of tears..... went back to the car and put on some stapping with some deep freeze (I know not the best way ......)

Off to the start and gassing with my boss and others from my team look round and everyone is running away, so we had started....

1m 7:27 - up and down stay with my boss
    2m 7:35 - Shin still sore but easing, long hill up andrenaline still flowing and a bit fast and puffing, boss pulls away like a mountain goat up the long hill.
    3m 7:25 - Still in pain, still too fast boss about 30m in front of me rest of team somewhere behind.
    4m 7:42 - This is a killer as its slightly uphill all the way, start to close on my boss who is looking good at this point, end of the first lap.
    5m 7:37 - Well and truly puffing out of various holes, close on the boss and overtake him, shin is now okay and running smoothly but over compensating for the shin, feel blisters on both sets of toes...
    6m 8:09 - boy the hill this time takes its toll, the boss overtakes back me again, but now half way.
    7m 6:55 - get a massive second wind from somewhere, fly past boss and demoralise him as he thought he had me, think again, start to haul people in now and overtake.
    8m 7:58 - the long drag.......... all of us suffer.....
    9m 7:20 - back to feeling good, no sign of my boss, pass a few old clubmates (Have just moved out of the area) gave them some encouragement and continued my assult on the undulations.
    10m 7:50 - happy with that considering the big hill and even take a few prisoners on the way....
    11m 7:02 - Spot the best part of the race......... nearly there and my shin is still holding out......
    12m 8:09 - The long drag just seems to well ermmmmm dddddrrrraaaaagggggg, pull round for the last time in front of the palace and can see the finish line.....
    last 198 yards :44 secs all downhill to the best sight of a race ...... the end...........

Unnofficial finish time of 1:31:57, had wanted to get under 1:33, so happy, miles off my PB from last year, but considering the last few months, more than happy...

The Boss ended up nearly 9 mins behind me and both the other 2 members of our team made it back safely too.

This maybe a hard race, but in the grounds and estate of Blenhiem Palace you cannot ask for a better location and scenary.

Now will have to see how my shin reacts.......

Take care
  • Options
    I took part in the round norfolk relay yesterday morning 16.39 miles my longest run since the FLM2006

Hope everyone is OK
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Thanks Xerxes, always foolhardy, I tend to run till I cant, hate resting up........

Well done GD.
  • Options
    Well run RFJ - hope the shins hold up and welcome back GD. How's that beautiful girl of yours?

X and TC - you have both recovered really well post marathon. I went for my first run this morning - 7 miles off road and hilly. I had a slight deja vu as it was also pretty warm! Calfs are still a little sore but nothing I can't cope with. I've got 2 weeks before Macclesfield Half so should be fine by then.

3:30 - please don't get depressed. The things that helped me to lose weight (3 stones) were: writing down everything I ate to make sure that I wasn't kidding myself and roughly calculating input against output.
    making sure I had 3 meals a day plus healthy snacks - as Minni has said, not eating enough slows your metabolism and makes weight loss harder.
    I would only weigh yourself once a week cos as Xerxes says there can be so many fluctuations over a day. I'll try and do a link otherwise just use the url.
    How to calculate Basic Metabolic rate[url] Good luck and don't beat yourself up.
    <>
  • Options
    Well it worked........sort of!
  • Options
    Eveing all

Well run GD and RFJ.
    Everyone is already doing some good distance work.

I haven't run for 3 days - lack of time and a visit to Milton Keynes on Friday to watch Robbie!!

Just back from the gym and did 5 miles in 34:23 on the treadmill - my threshold run, and the good news is it wasn't as hard as it was 4 weeks ago!
    I've got a 10k planned next Sunday, which is lovely and hilly - my aim would be to get under 44 mins on this course - even though my 10k pb is 42:48

We'll see....
  • Options
    Caterpillar Girl

Thanks for the link. I came out at 2605 ! I am eating nowhere near that a day..and I am running 5 miles.

Now I think I am correct in saying that my calorific needs are 2605 plus 500 for my run (thats taking the assumption of 100 calories a mile) so thats 3105 calories !!

So, if I eat less than this I should loose weight. I read somewhere eating 500 less a day than is needed is a good estimate

So I should eat 2605, or if I ran 8 miles (800 cals) my needs would be 2605 + 800 = 3435 - eat 500 less = 2905

I can see I am not eating enough
  • Options
    sorry about the race report delay, but computer at homebust,and works laptop has the internet disabled due to a network 'upgrade'. Hmm, not impressed.
    Anyhow, Nottingham.
    As you know,I was down to run this with Mrs Drifter, aiming to get a GFA for her, and a pb for me after injury at London.
    Before the start I picked up a 3:40 band from Lucozade, aiming to go slightly slower. First half, nice and shady, very busy, but very easy. Saw Mick 'N Phil, had a chat, went through halfway in around 1:50, smack on target. We then maintained our pace all the way to 22 miles, starting to over take people. The last 4 miles I felt so strong, could easily have sped up, but I was there to help my wife, who put in a couple of 9 min miles, but broadly maintained pace and finished in 3:43:30. We over took so many people after 20 miles, a lot of them walking.

As this was my wifes first marathon, she maintained her pace excellently, I have a pb, and the knowledge that marathons dont have to be painful. Did get a bit burnt tho'.

Overall, a massively positive experience, can't wait to have a go at a marathon again.
    CG - did you see two runners from the same club near the finish? We must have been just in front of you?
    Unfortunately, I will not be doing FLM07 due to other committments, but I am targeting a marathon later in the year to smash that pb.