Options

Monday 25th September

Whats your name?

Morning all

What: 2miles ish very easy am, 5 hilly lunchtime planned.

Hopefully will get this work finished in time to go to bed tonight....

Dave

Comments

• Options
    You were quick there Dave. Beat me to it.

what: will get up early and cycle for 80 mins....honest ;-)
  • Options
    good morning everybody,

what:
    am: 4miles easy
    afternoon: DRIVING TEST>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    pm: 4miles easy

why, because i gotta...

last hard: ka betyr hardt egantleg??
    last easy. ahhhh
    last rest. im a student, so apparently i always rest.
  • Options
    Morning all,

great racing yesterday peeps - specially Hippo for chalking another one up, Sodahead for wowing us us and Hilly for gutting it out. Everyone is posting such superb reports that it makes me really want to race - even though I am so slow at present!

Ironwifey, my goodness, hope you are ok! Did you give the man a stern telling off? Or did Brian the Snail knock him out?!

What: short swim
    Why: active recovery day
    Last hard: ages and ages
    Last rest: Friday

Good runnings all.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all I had a nice weekend with a couple of 13+ mile runs, actually felt like I was training for a marathon or something.

What: 6-8 300m intervals with Peter
    Why: Bringing him pain
    Last rest: Friday
    Last hard: Tuesday
  • Options
    What: rest
    Why: being sensible (for a change)
    Last rest: Last Tuesday
    Last hard: Saturday.

Have a good day folks.
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: 5 mile gentle in pitch black

Why: Work busy today and travelling this pm

Simon
  • Options
    Good morning my darlings
    have now read back

Hilly?BR-2 races in ione weekend-bloody tough, and well done on the placings
    Well done to Holly and Shriaz on the Duathlon
    Traedmillp-a good race-you have my sympathies on the pitstop issue
    Scoobs-hills make me cry too-I am so pleased your mum is back home and better now

IW-ouch-that sounds horrible!
    Pammie-yes you have done enough to comfortably get round Dublin.Please dont panic
    Sodahead-brilliant race-but why didnt you drink-eek???Sounds like some experiment!
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Race report: Ilkley Triathlon 2006

First triathlon ever. 500m swim, 9 mile cycle on 3mile laps include a big hill with frighteningly fast descent, 1 lap of same course for the run. Local swimming pool closed all summer so no real swim training. Gave up on front crawl after first few strokes and reverted to breast stroke. Goggles filled with water so took them off. Forgot to start stopwatch. Not an auspicious start.
    Fast transition apart from forgetting to take off and return swim cap – wasted 30seconds – onto bike. Felt strong and fast, passed loads of other cyclists and overtaken myself only once. Run was similar and even managed to pass a cyclist on the hill (she got me on the downhill though).

Swim 13:05 (201/218)
    Cycle 36:18 (50/218)
    Run 22:18 (24/218)

Overall 1:11:41 (54/218)

Very pleased but I think I need to work on my swimming!

Off to read the weekends doings now.
  • Options
    Cath-well done in the 5k-i hate them, and 10ks too
    nice to see you Phil
    welcome back dd

Tom-a solid race
  • Options
    Morning All

A special well done to Hipps, keep going!

Congrats to yesterdays Selby HM racers, but Selby??? So many beautiful places to run and they have a 1/2M in ..... Selby.

what: 7 miles recovery AM, 6 miles tempo with club PM.

Why: NYC

Last Hard: Yesterday

Last rest: Saturday
  • Options
    Right
    Now, about me "buring out"

I wont
    Im pretty in touch with my body-and do listen to it most of the time
    yesterday, i pushed it a BIT harder than it wanted to go.but only a bit, maybe i would have been 10 mins slower if i hadnt, and not tried running up bits of the hill at miles 23(or up the whole hill at mile 8 )-for mere principles!

I ran 11 miles with no walking-I suspect thats the furthest this year(have been experimenting with run walk cos of the ultras-doesnt actually work for me that well)

I agree about finding a flat marathon and training for it specifically-but that aint happening this year(although i have 2 flat ones coming up)
    i have the opportunity to do loads of maras, and im chasing my 100
    For the same reason i dont know how things will pan out next year
    a weeks holiday equals 2 maras back to back
    However, I wont be putting myself through what i am this year-mostly becuase i wont have the time

Today I have no pain in my legs at all
    i am simply weary

small run and Yoga then

• Options
    Scooby Snax 3-52 = 3hours 52 mins!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning

BP, hope you pass the driving test.

IM, when are you planning to do your next race?

Hippo, it just leaves me to say good luck then and enjoy the challenge of doing 100.

what:am 5 miles easy / 6 miles easy
    why:recovery day
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Just read the weekend reports (v, quickly).

Hollywood - well done on the second and especially to Shiraz for her first place

Tom - I sometimes have nightmares about missing the start of races. Well done on finding another and staying calm enough to run well in it.

Scooby - well run at Truro

Micksta - fantastic 3K time

Sodahead - great run at Selby. I think the course is almost as good as the Brass Monkey course.

Treadmill - Great time at Selby

Cath - your 5k sounds grim

PH - great time for that course.

hilly - congrats on the prizes even if you found the race hard.

iron wifey - bad luck on the accident. Shame it stopped you from doing the tri

BR - nice report. Is a curry diet on a Barnsley sprot nutritionalist's advice?

Got a report on clubmate who collapsed last week. Seems that Mrs Podro's long distance diagnosis of cardiomyopathy may be correct although further tests are needed. If correct this means no more competitive racing although he may still be able to run at a conservative pace. Real pity for a 2:31 marathon runner.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Morning all!

I've got a lovely-looking nose today!

I've just had an email from the race organiser saying they will refund my entry fee or give me a free one for next year. I'm impressed!

Podro - well done on the tri. My results are always the other way round - best in the swim and then it goes downhill from there!

What: a run
    Why: did nothing yesterday
    Last hard: yesterday's disappointment and pain
    Last rest: yesterday
  • Options
    Morning

A quick peek at Scobos' and Big Tim's marathon times this morning. Will await reports with interest.

Podro - hope the triathlon was fun - back to serious marathon training now is it? The curry diet is for refuelling purposes:-)

What: 4 miles lunchtime / 6 miles pm
    Why: recovery
  • Options
    Hi all,
    Back after a very long break as I now finally have my own computer, the other taken up by my daughters(homework, MSN, usual stuff).
    Today, easy 10 after work.
    Yesterday, best result at Windsor 1/2 so far, 6th, 1:14:39 and 1st vet Which has gone a long way to recovering my confidence as I had my worst race of the year last week at Bristol 1/2.
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    BR - I really enjoyed the triathlon. Great fun and a great atmosphere. Hated the swimmming though. Now training for Abingdon (and taking swimming lessons).
  • Options
    Cath - well done sticking to it. Running a race you don't want for someone else in foul weather requires a stern dedication.

Brilly - well done the pair of you. Hilly, you have your own style which has served you very well. I don't know how much that might have changed in your new set-up (easy for "easies" to become "minks easies" with company, for example), but you have always raced and trained with your head. Keep thinking and it should be ok.

Soda - brilliant running!

Hippo - very impressive. I don't care what anyone else says. I suspect too that you can handle the volume of marathons as well as any, and I trust that your present lifestyle still permits a Paula style resting schedule. Should be ok too.

Desert man - Have fun in New England. Should be gorgeous this time of year.

Rundown - yerhooo!! Great to see you, and to see you in good form. With a time like that, I should think you could just write off Bristol as a bad day.

Podro - well done on the tri, and happy splashing.

Me? Continued kitchen demo, now in the hands of the professionals, but v. disruptive. I might run to work and back, if circumstances permit.

• Options
    Morning,

What: Steady club run pm
    Why: Recovery run
    Last Hard: Yesteray
    Last Rest: 6 days

Had a pleasing weekend with a half decent hungover run at the Midland 6 Stage Relays on Saturday and New Forest Middle Distance Tri on Sunday.
  • Options
    Podro - good triathloning, there's a duathlon near Derby LizzyB, me and maybe some others are doing in Oct if anyone fancies it.

IronW - sounds painful!

BR - what marathon are BT and S doing - I want to have a look how they got on.

What - today - some kind of run, probably longish - maybe 10 miles which is long for me at the moment.
    Yesterday - DOncaster Wheelers Autumn (cycling) 45 mile road race. Did OK, finished in the bunch and avoided the crashes though didn't get anywhere near the front end in the uphill sprint finish.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    popsider, Scobos did Toronto and BT did Berlin.
  • Options
  • Options
    Morning all,
    Some good efforts over the weekend!
    Congrats Soda - you sound very happy!

Iron Wifey - you poor thing! That sounds awful!

Holly - don't think I'd enjoy that at all! Glad you still got a good result.

Scooby - you're doing it!

Clink - we have had a lovely Sunday/Monday!

Tom - great run!

Stickless - sounds like you enjoyed your sailing.

Micksta - good 5k.

SiT - congrats on your 3rd placing.

Treadmill & Rundown - good running.

Hipps - great stuff - 5 in 5 weeks!

Hilly/BR - that didn't sound very enjoyable - hope you bounce back well.

Podro - congrats on your first tri.

DD - good luck for NYC.

What: Sunday - walk with husband and dog.

Today - 3 miles bush tracks then off to the beach.
    Stopped to let husband and daughter out of the car because they had decided to walk/run the rest of the way down some bush tracks to the beach, so we, the gkids, me & the dog, drove on to where we'd planned to meet them.
    Old dog thought he'd go in the stream. His back legs aren't so good anymore - so found it very difficult to get out again!
    We then walked up the bush-track to meet them, bought some lunch and went to the beach. We all had turns kicking a ball around and had a quick dip in the sea. Not too bad as it's only spring.
  • Options
    Sorry Micksta - 3k!
  • Options
    Well done on finishing in the bunch Popsider - my dream!

Congrats to Hilly and BR and Cath and I will now go and read the weekend's threads.

Race report: Well, I'd been feeling not 100% since Thursday - slight cough and a bit nauseaous, but nothing I could really put a finger on. Had entered a 50 mile road race in Leicestershire - nice rolling course, not too far to travel for once - but was unsure whether to go or not as I wasn't feeling great, but I didn't want to get into a cycle (ha ha) of doing DNS - as it's hard one to break, as I found out during the winter of 2003/4.

So went to road race, warmed up OK, started the race and ... and it was weird, usually I'm happy riding in the bunch but I felt really spaced out and uncomfortable. there were also a lot of riders from (delete name of club) with zero bike handling skills (two of whom later crashed brining down two other riders and if the other two riders hadn't been so nice about it, I think there could have been a fight). Subsequently, if you're at the back of a group only one thing can happen - and on a corner someone lost control of their bike, I had to brake hard to avoid them, lost touch with the bunch and although there was only a 5 metre gap to make up, whatever virus/illness I had made me as weak as a kitten and couldn't make up the gap. No point in riding round solo or with a group of back markers if you're poorly, so I DNF'ed.

I was really upset at the time (it was still the first lap!) but I'm still not feeling great today so what happened would have happened at some point in the race, and if I'm being very grown up and sensible about it, it's probabaly best that I quit (or was forced to quit) so early.

It all feels like a bit of a bad dream now - like I wasn't really there.

On the postive side, I warmed up with one of the elite women, who dispensed some really good training advice, which made sense and gave me the gist of a plan for the next 6 months (this year has been a bit chaotic due to illness, operations, injury, etc. so I've never had a chance to build up a good base soi it's not surprising that I'm always teetering on the brink ). So onwards and upwards and everything .
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Posting before going away for 2 days,

Catching up on reports I missed yesterday,

BR and Hilly great reports, dont beat yourself up hilly, youve done a fair bit lately. Well done.

Iron Wolfy - sorry to hear about your Glasgow Kiss.

Podro - well done on your TRI

PH - you amaze me with your stamina and endurance, well done.

Micksta - well done

Lizzy B - Im sure youll bounce back from your DNF.

BP - all the best with your driving test.

What - 6m recovery
    Why - a bit more than normal because it was pain free and beautiful.......
    Last Hard - Yesterday
    Last Rest - Fri

Take care
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Lizzy, good that you had some positives come out of that experience. I DNF'ed a 10K last June and was disproportionally upset about it at the time. I think my overriding feeling was one of having 'failed', of somehow having let myself down. I always finish what I start and am not a quitter, so this went against my nature and left me feeling down. But in hindsight it was the right thing to do - I wasn't feeling 100%, it was a hilly, off-road course, it was hot and humid, and I'd been up and down all night with a stomach bug. By halfway I had absolutely nothing left in the tank, and rather like Paula in Athens, continuing just wasn't an option whether I'd wanted to or not. FWIW, I think you need to race less and train more effectively to see the results you're truly capable of.

Some good weekend performances, especially Sodahead - fantastically raced.

Tom, you must be very encouraged by your progress, especially under relative stress: can we allow cautious optimism once again?

Hipps, another stellar performance from you. I really don't know how you can face doing that every single weekend - I think you're incredible.

Scoobs, a solid performance on a tough course - sounds like you held it together really well and still achieved your sub-2 objective.

Hilly, sorry to hear you didn't have a great time yesterday (although still managed to turn out a very good, solid performance). Just wondered whether your training methods have changed since you started running with BR? I note you wore a HRM in the race, which you don't usually do - in fact, previous threads on your training have always stated that you prefer to run without one. I know it's great to have a training partner, and learn from other runners, but a) your training methods have always worked very well for you and reaped great rewards - I'm sure you already are, but stick with what you believe in unless you feel there's a reason to change; and b) as Stickless says, be careful that your 'easy' sessions are not becoming 'Minks-easy' with a faster training partner. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing and I know you well enough to be convinced that you're quite capable of making your own decisions, but it would be a shame to lose your current edge through less sensible training.

Cath, well done - I hate 5K (and 10K) distance too.

IronWifey, hope you're OK.

200 Mins - 5 miles at 8:45 pace? That's about all I can manage at the moment, and I'm only pregnant, not undergoing chemo/radiotherapy. Much respect.

Well, back to 'business as usual' this week! That means back at work, and back to running.

What: 5 miles, and I'm going to try for an easier pace from now on, as I still have a 'Minks-easy' predilection. My last run before my week off was awful; a real struggle. Keeping the pace down should enable me to carry on for longer.
    Why: Need to get back to it.
    Last hard: In actuality, a long time ago, but last Sunday's run felt very tough.
    Last rest: All last week :-)

18 weeks pregnant: This week, I officially begin my fifth month of pregnancy. The baby may have reached 15 cm from crown to rump by now, and s/he can both feel and hear. Admittedly at the moment, all s/he can hear is my heartbeat and the flow of my digestive system (nice!) but soon s/he'll be able to detect noise outside the womb and identify my voice. The baby now weighs about 7 ounces/190g. The chest moves up and down to mimic breathing but s/he's not taking in air, only amniotic fluid.
  • Options
    morning,

good luck in the driving test Phil

Another marathon Hipps. Awesomme!

Excellent tri podro. Picked up loads of places in the cycle and more so in the run.

Well done all from Berlin. Club mate did 2-48.

Tough luck Lizzy but i think it was the right thing to do.

I'm back to square 1 with my back. After spending the last 2 months gradually getting back into it and not doing too much, with no warning whatsoever i woke up yesterday morning in agony. Excactly the same as earlier in the summer. Well hacked off.

No idea what caused it. Hadn't run since wednesday.

Will give it a couple of days with the excercises and brufens, and if no better back to the physio.

:(

• Options
    Morning all,

Well, after 2 weeks away from running on doctor's orders, I can tell you that 2 gentle runs over the weekend have left me with stiff legs! I can't remember the last time my thighs were really stiff after a run - sometimes a bit after a really hard session, but not like this.

Doctor says to take it fairly easy until I've seen the cardiologist, so I am definitely going back to 4 times a week instead of 5. And I don't think I'll be doing any interval or hill sessions. Time to step back and enjoy the view on all my runs for a while, I think.

Not really had time to read back, but will try to catch up later.