Options

Poppy Run 5 mile

I haven't found a listing on RW for this event this year - haven't found a thread about it either!!

Well, there is a 5 mile run in Boston, Lincolnshire - pancake flat, so if it's not windy then PB potential:)

Any one else doing this run?

Comments

• Options
    When is it , as I did this a few years ago :) and found it fun :)
  • Options
    whoops just clivked on your link can you enter on day as I do not know what I'll be working :)
  • Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Boffin
    I'm sure you can add Welsh poppy to the list !!
  • Options
    I hope so George, not much point otherwise!! ;))

Bugsy, I don't think you can enter on the day... :(
  • Options
    Bugsy, just checked on the entry form - sorry, no entries on the day...

...closing date for applications is 10th November - so time to decide yet!
  • Options
    Poppy, I forget now... last year we started in the stadium, but where did we exit the track? I remember finishing by coming in the car park and then into the stadium and three quarters the way around the track to finish...

• Options
    Yes we did Boffin we came off the track through car park and on to the road.Very similar to the way we come back onto track.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Hmmm, I think you are right... however, when I map that onto the Gmap site the route comes out half a mile short...

Have a ganders at the route and see what you think? Maybe I have missed a bit out??
  • Options
    To be honest I dont really remember too well...we must do an extra half a mile somewhere.

have you had your race number got home from work to find mine has arrived:-)

List Time
    Boffin
    Poppy

Do you remember how many did it last year?

My number starts with 6xx
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    I cant find results from last year either?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    I don't remember how many ran last year - I am fairly sure I have the results on file...

...not on this computer, so maybe on my laptop in the office? I'll have a ganders on Monday:)

Got my number this morning too:))) 553.

There certainly wont be that many!!! - they probably buy them in batches of 999, and just issue them in order year after year. There is no date on the number - would make sense?
  • Options
    'tis a long way to go for a 5 mile run! Wave to my DiL and grandkids while you are there. They'll need cheering up 'cos my RAF son is off to Bosnia next weekend :(

I may do it one year, maybe even next year and get RAF son to do it as well!
  • Options
    Not too late to do it this year Sue? ;)
  • Options
    'fraid not Boff - tied up with other things. If all goes to plan I won't be wrestling with a dissertation next year! I have warned all friends and family that if I ever start talking PhD or such like - please shoot me!!!!
  • Options
    Morning

Sue maybe next year then:-)

<poppy find her forum gun just incase she needs to shoot Sue next year>

Boffin hopefully you will find the results if you can can you email them to me please:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    If I find them, I will mail them to you Poppy:))

Sue, a PhD isn't that bad; does require a certain amount of insanity to have a go though;))
  • Options
    Yes, I have the results from last year...

There were 168 finishers; ranging from 26:00 to 58:48.

26:00 for 5 mile - I am not dissapointed if I get that time for 5k!!
  • Options
    Hi all

I did this run 2 years ago - was my first race since leaving school 15 years previous.

Very pleased with my time of 38mins something - as already mentioned in good conditions it's an excellent course for a PB (bit exposed if it's windy).

Still toying with the idea of putting in a late entry for this year's race - my training has been going well, but I've still got a cold bubbling away.

Any advice.....?
  • Options
    Me, I'd run:)) - But then we travel from South Wales to do this run, so clearly a small amount of insanity going on!! ;)

Go on, be a Devil RD, you know you want to:)
  • Options
    I soooo do....

I'll see how things are Monday/Tuesday next week and then go for it!

It makes you feel better when your football team are 2-0 up at half time :- )

PS - I think the "missing" distance mentioned earlier in the thread could be the lap and a qtr/half of the track that the runners do before hitting the road.
  • Options
    We did a lap and a bit beofore starting? You know, you could have it there:) - I forget (old brain cells!) ;))
  • Options
    I might be right??? Mark it on the calender!!

But if you forget & I'm never right, then maybe just maybe we're both wrong?!

• Options
    All I remember about the start last year was the bittingly cold breeze (not wind fortunately) and the tiny mixup when the minutes silence would start and then who would start the actual race...

...once we were running I was more than happy to follow those in front:)

- I think you are right though:))
  • Options
    Evening

Not long to go for this race:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Morning

Lovely day for a run in Lincoln today - sunny, slight breeze and a nice temperature to run. Fingers crossed for this time next week : - )

I've just been out for a brisk (for me) 5k run, and despite a killer hill (yes there is one in Lincs) between 2 and 2.5 miles it went well.

Anyone else running today?
  • Options
    Oh yes:-)

Blimming freezing in Swansea and I am tough but tights , Helly hansen , gloves and a cap.

2.2 warm up to seafront
    6@1k reps with 2 mins jog

2.2 cool down home

RD

A HILL in Lincs......

Come to Wales we will show you Hills:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    List with race numbers:-)

Boffin
    Red Devil
    Poppy..604
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Your training sounds far too advanced for a part-timer like me : - /

I was in Wales last February at the "other" city. Didn't notice too many hills - plenty of goals ended up in Wigan's net that day tho : - ))

What time are you aiming for next Sunday? I'm looking to beat the time I did two years ago at least.

I haven't actually entered the race yet, so don't have a number. Planning on entering on-line tomorrow or Tuesday.....
  • Options
    You entered then RD?

It is true, we do have one or two hills here in Wales - I wanted a long run without hills, so opted to run around the one behind my house...

...23 miles later I got back home;)

Time? Don't know - what time are we aiming for Poppy?

• Options
    Well Boffin we did 39 mins last year 37.30 would be fab:-)))

Won't mention my back shoulder neck problems today but seems as if they went into spasms but have eased off after spending all afternoon in bed with my hot water bottle on the areas.

<close call with poppy race on sunday>
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression