Options

Tuesday 12th December 2006

Comments

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Clink - hopefully.

scooby - good news about hubby! Bad case of insomnia last night. Went to bed at midnight. awake at 2:30 for a bit. Dozed off and woke again at 3:30. Unable to get back to sleep again so got up, and now feel BLEURGH. Maybe it was because I had a late night panic trying to find my car insurance details - nowhere to be found. then thought maybe I'd not renewed it and had been uninsured for 6 months. fell asleep and dreamed the car had been written off. Anyway, turns out i AM insured but goodness knows where the documents are, if they ever arrived with me. Last few months have been a bit stressful and the house is in disarray....must sort it out!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Scoobs - good to hear your soul mate is now back to running outside. I have to say I'd be lost without mine:-))

K9 - I had a scare once with my car, after crashing it I found I'd forgotten to tax it! Really didn't know I was driving without tax.
  • Options
    Scooby - MrB has started running again as well. He was just going out for 15-20 minutes a couple of times a week but last night did about 35 minutes - I mapped his run on Gmap and it was over 5 miles. B******! He is natually fast without training, and with perfect biomechanics. He has no intention or desire to race but I'd be intrigued to know what he could do for 10k on a bit of training. I never run with him as he can happily cruise along at 6:30 pace having a chat while that is my top, top, 5k racing speed!

Sorry, been a bit busy at work and no time to catch up.

What: 6 miles steady in 48 mins pre-dawn. Heard an owl, heard it killing something, but that was it for wildlife this morning.

Gym later for leg strengthening stuff

Have a good day everyone.
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Hilly - i've done the driving without tax thing too (twice, possible three times), and driving WITH tax but forgetting to put it on the windscreen. The fines have been endless!
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    oh and had no house insurance for a bit without realising it too.

I really need a secretary and housekeeper.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

Just popping in to say that hopefully I will find time for a run/cross train later. I haven't done anything in over a week and am feeling distinctly lardy (pregnancy notwithstanding!) Am finding it hard to motivate myself to go to the gym as I find it so utterly boring, and part of me keeps saying why not take it easy and just chill out and enjoy the rest of my pregnancy - exercise can start again after the birth! Trouble is I'm unused to doing no exercise and don't really enjoy being inactive. While I don't mind putting on baby-related weight I don't want any additional pounds other than that to shift afterwards, so really need to force myself to do something.

Might attempt a run outside in a bit, even though it's quite cold and I don't have any gloves with me. Baby is now in head-down position so I may find it less uncomfortable to run, although bump is getting quite big now!

What: Hopefully a couple of miles outside later, just to feel as though I've done something.
    Why: Being far too lazy and don't want to get into bad habits!
    Last hard: Ages ago.
    Last rest: Not long ago enough!

Happy days!
  • Options
    k9 - I am like this too! Just renewed flippen car insurance and actually called around to get a better deal, but oh was I fed up by the end. I lost count of the amount of times I gave out the same details over and over and over and over...
    Mr Scoobs got fined years ago, when the kids were little, for havning no tax or insurance for his motor bike. But he did really think he had done it! We were struggling financially then so we had to pay it off in instalments which meant I had to go to the court every month to do it!

Well I guess in many ways it is quite good that Mr Scoobs is not bothered about training as much as me because this means we can train together as his pace is much the same as mine. But like you Lizzy I do wonder how much faster he could get if he could be bothered! We'll see how we go tonight over a few hills. Maybe they will get him puffing (just a little)!

Wabo - thanks!

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    K9 - luckily I was able to backdate to the beginning of the month as it was only a few days over. I'm useless at remembering things like tax and mot though:-)
  • Options
    Scoobs - well done on passing the exam! great news.

Mrs NG was driving around without an MOT for 9 months, I thought for some reason it expired the same time as the insurance. She still doesn't know this, hope she's not reading the thread...

Legionella - BR has chip(s) to go with your pies!

What: 80mins on the treadmill - easy/steady
    Why: Break from road running

Gym felt like a sauna today! Why is the bloomin' heating on so high! Get the lardies who are too cold to do some exercise and get sweatin'!!!

HR was at 80% WHR for similar speed to 70% running outside, but I was still able to chat to person on treadmill next to me without being out of breath!

What does this mean - do I need to do a new maxHR test, or is it just a result of the heat?

I have now had a change of opinion (after today)and think treadie running is harder than running outside
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

BR, shouldn't you be doing your LT runs at 90% MHR? I would do the easier session tonight if you intend racing on Thursday.

MM, on the green start again in 2007. Have you any idea as to your target time for next year? What's your current 10k PB?

Today's session:

What: 10 miles off road, steady pace
    Why: Schedule said 11, but as it was off road and since I did a bit more than I should have last night was happy with the 10 miles.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Scoobs – well done on the exam pass.

SGQ – sorry, forgot to say happy birthday yesterday. Hope you had a great day.

What: 6 miles done, another 6 later
    Why: ticking over

Have a good one
  • Options
    Bravo Scooby! And you don't have to do a SVT. I've had good help with achilles recently, lots of work on the bottom step so far. Did get doms after the first time of doing it, so clearly needed that sort of strengthening. I'll let you know what the next step is when I get it! (And I was not asked to stop running. Achilles weren't terrible, just problematic and an obvious weak link. Sounds a bit like yours.) I massage them a lot, ice them when I can bring myself to, and work on them whenever I am sitting or standing around. It seems to be helping.

Me?

What? Christmas biscuits. The best bit of Christmas really. Baking them. Running them round to my friends houses and exchanging them for cup of tea and bit of gossip. We've had some good years and some not quite so good years, but we've never quite not gotten around to Christmas biscuits.

Still tired, whole body tired and DOMS from Sunday, so I'll give in gracefully and put feet up for a bit.

• Options
    What: 6.9 Miles soggy.
    Why: Mileage building (947 down, 53 to go...)

Really, really wet today - first time in long trousers and jacket this winter, and they were soaked through by the end.

hilly - in an ideal world, I would be aiming for the Doncaster/Barnsley 5ks, Wakefield/Huddersfield 10k and some other local races, but between family and work pressures would be lucky to make a couple of the above. At the moment, I'd settle for 1 race next year with an official sub 20 pb for 5k....

Have a good day all

Dave
  • Options
    A former colleague of mine only found out he didn't have insurance when he went for his MOT - his old insurance company didn't bother to send a reminder or automatically renew his policy and he didn't realise it had expired.

Dave
  • Options
    What: 4.5 soggy Miles
    Why: comeback trail

Hilly; I am not sure since September I have nothing but virus after virus then the flu which knocked me back.But I am trying hard to make sure I work on the nutrition side of things it is difficult as I have food allegies:-(
    Too counteract i do take a lot of vits and minerals.

I am feeling a bit wiped out after run today so feel a wee nap will be called for:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Afternoon All,

URR: Glad to hear you're giving the 'thon another go.

Scooby: well done on the maths exam.

What: 10mi with 8x400m hills
    Why: LT
    Last Hard: Today
    Last Rest: 231 days

Have a good one.
  • Options
    Afternoon

Scooby-well dopne oj the exam-and a great big ahhhhhhhhh for you and Mr Scoobs
    and to all the other soulmates out there

Stu-good to see you-that collarbone sounded nasty

K9------not sleeping?I never had that issue, well, not non bleep induced anyway

8 miles for me
    In two parts, but what the heck
    Got very wet, and even wore a rain jacket

oh yes, and Yoga, as usual on a tuesday
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Just back from a 3-mile run which I am stupidly pleased about. Got outside and couldn't face the gym so thought I'd try a gentle run and see how I fared. The baby has moved position since my last run (is now head-down and bum up rather than breech) and I found the run much more comfortable - the pressure on my bladder, although still there a bit, was more bearable and there was no sign of the previous groin pain problem.

I couldn't help feeling quite pleased to still easily be able to run 3 miles at this stage of my pregnancy: legs and lungs were fine - no loss of stamina and not even breathless. This was just what my mojo needed.
  • Options
    thats good Minks

didnt you even get wet>?
  • Options
    No rain in London this afternoon, bright crisp day. Why did I choose today to run on the treadie?!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the answer Drew - my thinking as well. LT is 90-93% on a club night.

Got our numbers for the NYE 10k at Caythorpe. The race instructions say that `our own DJ will be playing music so if you have any tapes or discs of music that inspires you please bring them along'

MM - how are you on your Dylan?:-)))

Pre-race we might have to Shelter from the Storm if A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall.
    Think we'd go Tangled Up in (Barnsley) Blue on mile 1 as it sets the scene nicely. By mile 3 (if the weather was like last year) we'd be Blowin' in the Wind and by mile 6 we're on to Idiot Wind (if I pace like last year). If not as we turn into the finishing straight I want to hear `Down the highway, down the tracks, down the road to ecstacy...'
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Minks you are amazing ;o)

Hippo - been plagued on and off by insomnia for years - it's just me I guess. Yet put me in a dark room with power point slides, or almost any form of transport and I'll sleep like a baby! Any news on the job front yet??
  • Options
    hilly, I joined a club fairly recently, that's not the problem. I could do with some in-house support as I feel rather robbed of any decent opportunity to run lately. The weekend being point of case, I'd given an arm for an hour running in the sunny daylight, but no me-time available, definately not in daylight.
    Had a short window yesterday midday, but it was chucking it down, gusts of wind and I felt absolutely knackered. Just couldn't push myself out of the door.

What: get out and see where my feet take me tonight
    Why: knackered, but really need to get out for a run (and away for business so evening to myself: no excuses)
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: ???
  • Options
    Evening, I'm almost glad I can't run in this cold weather, although I'd love to knock up my core temperature a bit with some running.... but no, I won't be running later!

The bruising has gone down to my toes now (or will have done by tonight, it's just looking that way now) so it'll be rowing and biking tonight in the warm gym, I reckon. Saw a fellow club member tonight out for her first run since she twisted her ankle, and she's had 12 days off but none from work, so if I can get back before then, I'll be chuffed!

I think the worst part is after getting up in the morning, as the ankle takes about 10 steps to make it feel like part of my body.

What: gym session
    Why: flaming ankle!

legionella - for that comment last night, that's you off my christmas card list!
  • Options
    Well done Scooby on the maths exam. Good luck with the marathon training.

Minks - good effort - you sound great.

AF, BR, Hilly, Drew - solid training as always.

Micksta - good luck with the fast lady!!

Me - just 2.5 miles. Was going to do the 5k Loaded Hog but had family to dinner instead. Finally got the Xmas tree up - must get that Xmas feeling happening!!

• Options
    K9-no
    jumping through the very expensive hoops to join an agency
  • Options
    big well done scoobs!

K9 - have you tried a relaxation CD? i don't mean slushy music - i had some hypnotherapy for ibs which involved relaxation techniques and i have a cd to listen to which often sends me asleep. fortunately helps with the guts too

nice pic of sodahead in abingdon page 39 running fitness mag

enjoyed the 9 miles still really windy though
  • Options
    Drew,
    The green start is an excellent place to be. I ran from there in 2003 & 2004 and once you get past Gordon Ramsey and Floella (sic?) Benjamin it's a clear run ;-) If the training goes well and I can get to the startline in one piece, I'll be looking for sub-2:40. Current 10k PB is 35:11 from the Chris Ingram 10k in 2005, weekend before Berlin marathon which produced a 2:43.

How about yourself? What's your target for FLM. Planning on doing much racing during the build-up? Any targets for shorter races on the road to London?

BR,
    My knowledge of Dylan is non-existent, but somehow I think you might have that covered for the entire cluster of forumites ;-) I do like the sound of going "down the road to ecstacy...", looking forward to Caythorpe.

What: 10M incl. 4 x 1M @ 10k pace/effort
    Why: LT/VO2 session
    Last hard run: Sunday
    Last rest day: Wednesday
  • Options
    What: 5 miles early pm // 5 miles evening
    Why: Aerobic conditioning, getting in the mileage
    Last Hard: Yesterday's club fartlek session
    Last Rest: 5 days