Options

Monday 1st January 2007

Comments

• Options
    Afternoon All,

Hope everyone's NY Eve celebrations were fun.

Lizzy B,
    Very well done yesterday, great stuff.

BR,
    I am a Brit, but my accent is a bit messed up after having lived overseas for a number of years!

What: 8M at a very easy pace with a killer hangover.
    Why: Training for FLM starts today!
    Last hard run: Yesterday.
    Last rest: Friday
  • Options
    Happy New Year All

Nice report Lizzy B, well raced

AJH / Hips Don't mention trebles the idea keeps coming into my brain

What: 5 miles in a moment

Why: Tapering Dubai Marathon on 12th Jan

Last Hard: Friday

Last rest: saturday

Enjoy the rest of your day, back to work for me tomorrow.

• Options
    Afternoon, I wish that I could go for a brain-blasting run to start the new year off, but after dancing to lots of seventies 'choons', wearing a large afro wig in a night club in Harrogate with friends and brother, I woke with pain in my heel this morning (I wasn't actually going to go for a run, but the idea was there)!

Hopefully, I can get to the physio this week or my running dreams will dissipate throughout January, and there is virtually no chance that I will be racing against legionella and HMHS in the SYXC in mid-Jan :-(

What: dance and nothing
    Why: injured

Some good runs recorded by others on here, well done!

BR - is the car dead? How was your wood visit, or was that postponed?

• Options
    And my hopes/resolutions for 2007:

to be able to run again.
    to enjoy myself more.
    to run and be relatively injury-free (fingers crossed, please, please, please!)
  • Options
    or, Fell Liker, you and Scooby could get together and do Strictly Come Dancing next year :-)
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all

and (obviously)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

YAY for LizzieB!!

and well done on your 5K RFJ

AJH - do you think you're still in a bit of a post-marathon fatigued place?? I'm sure your mojo will return when your body is ready.

Naughty Scooby - what a way to test for a stress fracture!? Glad you are OK though.

WP - you be careful too!

What: 17.3 miles kinda slow (all my runs are slow nowadays). Pretty gusty out there and pouring with rain by the end. Looked like a veritable drowned rat!
    Why: Building up the long run, plus schedule all rearranged as will be away for the rest of the week and running may be tricky!
    Last hard: today's last half mile
    Last rest: Friday

Aims for 2007

Unfortunately I suspect my work-related aims make ned up taking priority by necessity. About to start a temporary post with a loooong commute which will make training trickier.

Like Hippo - need a permanent job!

...but all that aside, getting back my previous fitness without recurrent injury would be good. I'm managing a reasonable mileage now but it's still sloooow for me.

Till that improves PBs are not on the cards!

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Hello Jen by the way!

well done on your run....are your injuries sorted now?
  • Options
    Happy New Year everyone!

What: 3 hour hike today
    Why: Its NY's day!
    Last hard: Thurs on the hills
    Last rest: Yesterday

Back to work tomorrow :-( Still racing the mtb in Sunday - YaY!

Have fun everyone...
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Hi K9!
    I have tended to have problems with my right foot but touch wood, I have disposed of the offending trainers and haven't had problems for a few weeks now.
    I had a fall in Sept too which left a hole in my knee but that is all healed now too.
    Chest has been a bit wheezy in the past which I think was some kind of infection but it seems to have improved now. Wheezing these days is due to the extra weight I have gained I think. Boo hoo!

So lots of 3-4 milers to get body used to running again, and trying to keep the delicate balance of not doing too much too soon, but not missing a session because "rest is good too" (I am prone to pull that excuse out the bag to justify 3 days of rest in a row....!). Might try a 5-6 miler at the weekend depending how this week goes. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    Birkmyre...Yes it was a solid race from the old fella, he won the handicap quite easily. Your not wrong about yesterdays weather close to the worst i have been out in...thought my days were numbered when the lightning started as i was running through a puddle at the time next to trees!!

Today I am starting the year with a rest day back in action tomorrow.
  • Options
    K9, you may well be right. I aim to go to a club training night tomorrow for some company. 99% of my running, swimming and biking is done alone and sometime I think I need a bit of company to enthuse me.

However I can only go to training when I am off work because of my commute....hence having tomorrow off and putting off going back to work for 1 more day!
  • Options
    Afternoon all,
    Happy new year to everyone!

Had a great night out last night, got very drunk, ended up dancing the night away with this girl and then had a nice kiss to start 2007, talk about me working fast! lol

Felt a little hung over this morning, so my days trainings been a little on the gentle side!

What:
    am: 3.75miles steady along Herne Bay seafront with running club partner. Felt a bit tired and heady but felt loads better by end of run.

pm: 5.25miles easy pace, just to get some meaningfull running done!

Why:
    Kicking off 2007 with a slight hiccup, but still basically running aerobic endurance!

• Options
    Afternoon all,

Brilly: Good running at Caythorpe in those conditions.

LizzyB: Well done on a gutsy duathlon. No technicolour yawn at the finish?

RJF: A good 5k bench mark for the new year.

Bungee: Happy Birthday!

Micksta: I never had you down as a kiss & tell merchant!

New year targets? FLM. Then do something about those HM/10k times. Also, having lifted my nose from the grindstone for a few days, I must do something about the work/commute/run/life balance - like get one!

What: 8m recovery
    Why: err.. recovery?
    Last Hard: N/A
    Last Rest: 251 days

Have a good three hundred and sixty five

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Great effort Lizzy, nice report too.

Many happy returns Bungee.

Good effort in the 5k RJF.

Sounds like you had a good night Micksta - did you find any phone numbers stuffed in any of your pockets??

BR/Hilly.. Don't beat yourselves up over those times, gusty conditions are not the best for top performances. Another day will come.

Various family/social commitments plus working most days over xmas meant my mileage took an expected hit last week with a paltry 42 miles. Nothing for it but to pencil that in as a recovery week then.

11.2 miles today, hopefully the resumption of a normal routine.

All the best for 2007 to you all, may the year bring you a clutch of shiny PB's.
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    How do
    Thanks for all the birthday good wishes.
    Happy New Year to all.

Great report and racing from LizzyB.

What: harrogate Ringway Relay recce of legs 3 & 4 with club. Freezing cold and occasional hail shower. 8ish miles in all.

Why: to get cold, wet and very muddy.

Good luck to everyone for the coming year.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Happy new year everyone!

Well done to Lizzy - great report!

We had some forumite friends staying to do the NYD tri today. We had planned to go to the fireworks, but the Edinburgh street party was cancelled so we ended up at my parents' for a couple of drinks and then in a pub for a couple more - oops, how did that happen!?

Woke with a hangover, but at least the wind had died down a bit.

It was raining though and as the day went on the wind picked up, and by my third bike lap it was gusting up to 45 mph apparently.

I had a good swim - 8.09, which is fast for me, and I was relaxed and taking it easy, so pleased with that.

Bike was going well, despite the awful wind, until I was nearly at the top of the hill on the third lap - a puncture! I was all set to give up, when a pedestrian urged me to carry on and helped me get the tyre off. (no marshalls were looking and anyway I'd already seen all the elites drafting). Ten minutes later I was frozen, but carried on and did the run. I finished 8 minutes slower than last year, but the puncture took me at least 10 minutes to change, so a bit of an improvement, and in worse conditions.

I'm knackered now!
  • Options
    Well done IW, bet it takes a lot to carry on when something like that happens. One of the things I worry about in taking up tri is looking silly crying by the side of the road because I have a puncture!
  • Options
    Evening!

Sorry - been too busy to write anything properly (foolishly got caught up in website editing...)

To all the skiing questions - we went to Meribel - we didn't have any fresh snow during the week, but they'd saved back lots of snow from the week before, they had quite good slope coverage (IMO) and the piste bashers really worked hard. There were some excellent pistes open - we even found virgin 2 foot deep snow to play in on the last day :-) And the sun was out the whole week - lovely weather and some gorgeous views. No complaints here!

Good to see RFJ this morning - see you again at BPTT (or WCTT?) soon :o)

Will write up my review of 06 and my goals for 07 one day... and will read back (honest)

What: BPTT in 22:30 - and about to head out for a club run too!
    Why: Slow and fat ;-)
    Lyrics: Don't know! But I've just thought of an alternative answer for yesterday's lyrics.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!
  • Options
    S-B-R - I thought a day not spent running was a rest day. As one who once went 485 running days without a rest I would say that a rest is not for wimps but can be an intelligent decision to improve one's training.

Lizzy - you sounded depleted in that race. Still, 3rd is 3rd and well done for hanging on.

Nice snogging Micksta
  • Options
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Quickly checking in, wishing everybody many PBs and a injury free 2007.

Kicked off the year with the NYD 10k and managed 36:20, expected a bit worse after too many mince pies over x-mas! Very nice sunny but windy day in Hyde Park with many supporters en route.

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say I know the lyrics as I got this for christmas from teen daughter. It's a great album!
  • Options
    When I went for my club session, no one else was about - obviously not on today, but it makes sense, so did my own running at a kind of faster pace.

So a changed day :-

What: 4 miles early pm // 1.5 mile combined warm up + 7.1 miles steady/hard pm
    Why: Getting some miles in, bit of speed
    Last Hard: 2 days ago
    Last Rest: yesterday
  • Options
    Happy New Year everyone.

Scooby - Sorry I missed you yesterday, but good news that you raced in comfort. How does it feel today?

Rest for me today; may sort out my FLM training plan this evening.

Targets for 2007:
    - Build back to a decent level of fitness
    - Complete FLM in less than 4 hours
    - Get within 10% of all PBs by the end of the year
  • Options
    Evening all

Xerxes – we watched London fireworks on the telly and thought they were just brilliant! Mr Scoobs and I had been invited out, but teenage scoobs looked a bit crest fallen so we then pretended we did not want to go and stayed in! We had a great evening playing games and then watching good old Jools Holland. :0)

Two Ton – so when is the first race?

Birkmyre – I don’t know what BDP is and have been guessing to no avail. Boring Dead Person? Best Dearest Partner?

LizzyB – well done on hanging on in there and on third place. :0) Hope you passed a very smug smile in direction of that silly husband!

Bungee – Hello if I have not said before! And happy birthday!

Jen – hi! Keep posting and I’m sure you’ll be back into it in no time. :0)

AJH – Ouch! I’m sure your mojo will return re: running, especially if that Hipps has anything to do with it!!

SwimBikeRun – in that case I am your number one wimp as I have at least 2 rest days just about every single week.

Micksta!!! Ooh did you get her number?

IW – oh well done! My bike shop showed me how to change an inner tube, but it was so long ago I fear I have forgotten how to do it! Having a puncture is my worst nightmare. Good on you for sorting it out and carrying on. I find I struggle with the flippen floor pump to check tyre pressure! I have trouble getting it onto the valve properly and before I know it all the air is coming out of the inner tube and I am swearing my head off!

K9 – yes not the best idea! But yes shin fine, so happy about that as this means I’m back running – yey!

Aims for 2007?

To discover cause for achilles trouble and get it sorted once and forever. That would just be the best thing ever as would mean I could then train to the best of my ability.
    To learn more about HR training because I think it may help me.
    To get to Paris marathon.

Training today?

What: I am a wimp as have had a rest day!
    Why: Listening to legs. They have been worked hard for the last 4 days and need to recover.
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: Today.

Happy new year everyone!
  • Options
    Evening all,

Brilly: The Caythorpe 10k sounded like a good blast for the cobwebs. Bank it under "Hard training".

LizzyB: Well done on a your most entertaining duathlon. Those legs sound tired.

RJF: The first race of the year is always a good marker from which to progress.

200mins: Happy v50 result from which to improve upon! Personalised Glenfiddich? You don't get that everyday!

Bungee: Happy Birthday.

Wardi: 42 miles in the week is better than my 2006 average. I'm going to be very interested to do direct comparisons this year between me, you, and Legionella. Remembering that we ran most of FLM
    side by side. Hilly's up another rung on the ladder, but I'll watch.

New Year's resolutions:
    1- Complete abstinence from alcohol, at least until Friday.
    2- no alcohol midweek (unless on holiday)
    3- to go to bed the same day that I get up, preferably at the same time as the wife.
    4- To be nice.

Running predictions 2007:
    1- Improver award-
    Hippsy beats 5 hours, loses 7lb, threatens 4:30 and has to drop the "plodding" epithet. (Nearly edited it, but hey, she can slap me later)
    2- Perseverance award- shared, by BR and Tom, who both manage to get one pb each.
    3- The U.E. award for Maximal Effort- To Lizzy B, calculated on the most chundering under race conditions.
    4- Tumbledown Award- Come on, you know who you are. There won't be a contest. Again.
    5- First daily thread forumite to win a race-as in P1- Micksta
    6- Dunno what to class this as, but how about a "Trinni does it again" award?

AND now, I think I need to start a thread relating to 2006 achievements.
  • Options
    200mins - crossed post! I missed you all for the meet at the beginning as was in the queue for the loo! But I did bump into Peahead, Night Nurse and Wrinkly wotsits afterwards. I ''think'' from your piccie that I may well have been one of the runners you passed! Did you ask runners to move to the left? And did you wear bright running shoe's? If so then I did see you towards the beginning of the race as I moved over for you to come past me and you were very polite and said thank you (as you sped by!)! Well done to you and I believe it was your birthday too! So happy birthday to you for yesterday! :0)
  • Options
    Hi Scooby
    Only had to request the "move left" bit a couple of times - early on along the cycle track by the canal. I bought some DS trainers a couple of months before my op & only use them on track & in races - so they are virtually unused and still quite bright!
    Hope to see you at a race soon!
  • Options
    Happy New Year to one and all. Hope you have all recovered from your celebrations. Looking forward to having an op this year and getting back to running.

Best wishes.

David
  • Options
    Evening all,

Happy New Year to all, hope it brings you new and challenging goals!

Haven't been on the thread since leaving for the UK, so not caught up with the news. Brief summary of the trip..

Ran 5 days and really felt the cold. Zero to 2 degrees and fog was a pain in the first few days. Didn't have enough layers with me but still managed to run most days, but didn't get to any races. Times were noticeably faster in the effing freezing conditions!

No running today as we've been travelling home to Trini and currently using free WiFi in Barbados airport about to board the island hopper back to Trinidad. Nice to be warm again!!

I'll read back and see whats been going on when I get home.

Have a great evening!