Options

Motivation

Please let me know if you too find that in the winter months their times drop off and eat more and generally find it harder to get round?

Comments

• Options
    No, but I find it a great deal more difficult to get out of bed on dark mornings, and have to get out and snatch a bit of natural light during the day or I turn into a monster.
  • Options
    I prefer running in daylight and on the hills when it's dry. On the other hand, I've run with a club and raced more this winter and just found new things to enjoy. Despite that my mileage has still dropped off.
  • Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    glad its not only me then ! finding motivation really hard after xmas and the dark mornings and evenings .......
  • Options
    Enter a 50 mile race for Feb and you'll suddenly find great motivation to get out and do some training :-)
  • Options
    Judging by the number of threads just like yours at the momant jason-yes

but not for me
  • Options
    I can't bring myself to go outside and run, but I am racing this weekend so I have been motivated to do some exercise, but in the warm, dry environment of the gym.

Haven't run outside since before Christmas!
  • Options
    No not me, working back up to running 6 days a week, no problems with motivation to run, montivation to work thats another thing though.
  • Options
    I had a short period of non-motivation right before/after Christmas, but that was more due to injury frustration than simply not wanting to run. Back into training now though. I don't like running in the dark but I get home from work at 3pm so it's now light for a couple of hours, plenty of time to get a run in.
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    I'm fine with motivation for running in Jan/Feb. I notice it's worst in October/November.

I just find motivation for general life & work hard at the start of the year!!!!
  • Options
    Usually my distances are shorted in Jan and Feb, my best running is in the summer. But this year there's the matter of some little unknown race in London in April ... that's certainly kept me motivated so far!!

• Options
    Well I think I answered my own question yesterday. I friend of mine asked me to help start her off running. She came along and their was a new spring in my step. After saying adieu I went on to run further than I have before. Great stuff, I feel a liitle more motivated now.
  • Options
    Personally I think its people who run infrequently that have “motivational issues”. Or excuses a would prefer to call them. Too hot, too cold, work & family commitments, niggling injuries……………..the list just goes on. If you are running regularly i.e. most days then it just becomes a way of life. When I’m in this zone I feel almost guilty if I miss a session.

BB.
  • Options
    I dont feel right if I dont run beerbelly-I know what you mean
  • Options
    Jason, I am glad you are feeling better
  • Options
    I know what you mean too, Beerbelly.

At the moment I've got a specific focus, and training runs are just something that have to be done, in much the same way as going to work has to be done. Lack of motivation currently isn't an option, never mind an issue.
  • Options
    I love running in the dark early morning before I go to work.

My motivation is about as high as it's ever been this winter. Running 6 days a week from 3/4 and have increased my mileage significantly from the end of last year.

Like a lot of things it's all about getting into a routine and then you're away. I never had that Xmas slump because I kept to my same routine over the Xmas period and feel all the better for it.

I also have a marathon on the horizon so yes that's a great motivator.
  • Options
    I don't mind the rain or the cold or the wind.

It's the darkness that really demotivates me. Mostly becuase I'm more prone to tripping on broken paving stones & all the parks I like to run through / around only open their gates between sunrise & sunset
  • Options
    Make the most of what daylight there is and run then if poss . - remember the days are getting longer and Spring will soon be here .Enter a Spring race whether it be a 5km ,10km, Half Marathon ,Marathon whatever -remember every run you do gets you fitter and therefore you will lose those extra pounds you put on at Christmas .Anyway with all the bugs going around at the moment , being overweight is not that bad a thing to fight off illnesses .
    Get out of the house and run -its as easy as that -we all feel at times ,we would rather stop in the house in the warmth but once you have made the effort and gone out for a run ,its not that bad really !!!!
  • Options
    what are you worrying about...

get a decent petzl headtorch and some properHi-vis running gear and get out there and play in the mud.... it's the best free fun you can get between Chrimbo and Easter!

Enjoy.
  • Options
    I am not worrying !!!!
    I am trying to keep some others motivated !!!
    After 30 years of running in a lot worse winters than this .These Strong winds ,we are getting at the moment are a peice of cake !!!
  • Options
    Oh, sorry must have misread!!

Good, that's two of us enjoying ourselves - anyone else!

Found a brilliant bit of kit on the ultrarunning site that should see you right in the snow and ice YakTrax.

Enjoy!