Options

Thanet 20

Comments

• Options
    Tunbridge Wells Half for me tomorrow, then I may do an extra few miles just to keep up the distance. I want the end of the 20 to feel like nothing more than a natural extension of the long runs I have done so far.
  • Options
    Exactly the same here AB2. See you tomorrow and have a good race
  • Options
    I ran the race route this morning and the weather was glorious. If there is anyone out there who has any 'connections' would you please order the same weather for next week
  • Options
    Total today, about 17.1, and that's not counting the half mile walk to / from the car before and after the race. I ended up jogging back to the 11 mile mark to make up the distance, so I guess I am now as ready as I could be.
  • Options
    Cliff face - you were obviously up and out early. I did 18 of the 20 and it rained constantly - except when it turned to hail!!.
  • Options
    sorry I can't join you for this one, AB2 in continuation of our race rivalry throughout Kent and Essex, but 'bonne chance' anyway.

btw the forecast temp for the Barca 'thon this Sunday is 21C :)
  • Options
    Thanks Poddler and Mark, I am now officialy a Marshall and will be at Westcliff Road in Broadstairs, I think (TBC) that is the top of the slope coming from the bandstand but will find out for sure when my marshalls pack is dropped of this week.

Its great to put something back into this great race... I have often run the course in my own training for marathons and know it to be a great run with interesting scenery, still maybe next year I will be up to race fitness.

So for those of you who are fit enough may I wish you a great week of final training and I look forward to giving you all a word of encouragement on Sunday... Shame Snoops isn't running though because I would have just given him the boot!)

Oh while I think about it isn't the Westcliff Road marshals post a great place to watch any activity on the beach... best make sure I have my binoculars and long raincoat with me....
  • Options
    hhmmm.... dog poo everywhere, 'olds' and winos sprawled around the course, flytippers' detritus in the laybys, and now pervs doubling as marshalls.

Oh Gabriel, blow your horn.
  • Options
    I prefer someone else to do that...

Besides you are referring to the other side of the Island in Margit rather than the more select side of Broadstairs and (coast side) of Ramsgate.
  • Options
    Hi Ashley - look forward to seeing you on Sunday then!

Taking it easyish this week after TW half (PB by 5 mins peeps - even though I didn't 'race' it!)

• Options
    btw in case I forget, unless its strangely warm on Sunday I will be wearing the same running top as I am on my picture on here - so should be relatively easy to recognise!
  • Options
    I am informed I am marshalling down at Ramsgate harbour...with Jelly Babies. Those who knew me in my "Corridore" guise will understand...

If someone can start a start number list, then I will know who to look out for...

However, I am NOT reserving favourite colours!
  • Options
    ..oops!

never realised that my remarks would have caused such sensitivity amongst my Fannit Friends.

Now that I've been officially warned off making any further negative comments by the moderator, I'll just have to think of some positive ones to say about the isle.

erm...

• Options
    maybe I can help .............

..................... maybe not then
  • Options
    ah, Plummy; t'was hoping you could help me out there, but I can see you have writer's block 'n' all.

• Options
    So everyone ready ????
    No ? Me either. The nearer it gets the further it seems !

And the weather forecast is ...... GREAT !! Sunshine and 12 degrees. Light winds. Perfek.

It's going to be wonderful. Snoops you'll be so envious. The weather forecast for Barcelona is .... Cr&p !

No seriously Barca also has fabulous weather forecast. 22 degrees and sunny. A bit too hot if you ask me.

Have a good one y'all. We're paying for this so we might as well enjoy it.
    Just say Hi to the Gastropod Mollusc as I huff and puff along.

Slug
  • Options
    One to start you all:

In 2006 Thanet had just under 50% of all the Blue flag beaches in the South East. This is remarkable for a 30 mile stretch of coastline.

They were:
    Margate, Main Sands Kent Resort
    Minnis Bay, Birchington Kent Resort
    St Mildred's Bay, Westgate Kent Resort
    Viking Bay, Broadstairs Kent Resort
    Walpole Bay, Margate Kent Resort
    West Bay, Westgate Kent Resort
    Westbrook Bay, Margate Kent Resort

A similar number were present in 2005.

There are problems in Thanet, but
    (1) We try to put on great races
    (2) We actually have some very good scenery and settings for these
    (3) Our race are relatively competitively priced
    (4) We give around £13,000 to charity to each year based around our races

• Options
    David, do you have an email address for whoever's in charge of the marshalls, have offered my services but not heard as of yet? Ta.

IMHO, Thanet Roadrunners are fab, just parts of the isle have problems and undesirable bits!
  • Options
    There are some fantastic views to be had at the tops of some of the climbs, but there is one that will be missing this year - that of Snoop Dogg about 100 feet below me at the bottom of the slip road just after Ramsgate harbour!

Here we go with the numbers list:

316 Andrew Burgess (or MV40 if I've just gone past)
  • Options
    Snoop, I of course believe that you were pulling the Thanet leg ;-) Have a good one in Barcelona!

AB, looking forward to the views from the top, if I have the energy to appreciate them...

68 - SusieBee
  • Options
    Good news on the weather front :0) (I agree with slug- much prefer 12 degrees to 22 personally!)

68 - SusieBee
    469 - Laura26

Think I'm going to wear my nike10k top, so will be in fetching lime green (not as bad as it sounds!) so will be easy to spot!

Will also be wearing a sis gel belt as long as it arrives (still awaiting in post!) ...otherwise not sure how I'm gonna cart my gels and stuff with me! (boyf normally takes my excess gels in his pocket on long runs!LOL)

xx
  • Options
    Oh and i'll be running with treacletart - so just look out for the green and pink combo.....

With a tall boy (Matt) possibly with us (if he's not run off ahead!)

xx
  • Options
    68 - SusieBee
    469 - Laura26
    521 Chestfield Bill (521 will probably be my time too!)
  • Options
    I'm bringing a brolly!! Slug - your weather forecast is a bit ambitious I think!
  • Options
    Yup: official confirmation. I am marshalling at the roundabout by Ramsgate Harbour...so I will see you all twice - out and back.

Whatever the weather, you'll be sheltered there...

Hope you are all tapering well.
  • Options
    Tapering fine Lee, thankyou very much and you'll have plenty of time to organise the jelly babies into order of conception I'm sure........
    Can I reserve a Red and a Green please..

68 - SusieBee
    469 - Laura26
    498 Beardo1972 (Darren Baker) Thanet RR.
  • Options
    Beardo,
    I'm very worried about your jelly babies. I sincerely hope you mean "consumption".
    It's bad enough that we pin them to our shirts without abusing the poor things. ;-)

Slug
  • Options
    Cinders the lady organising marshalls is not on the internet. If she has not made contact with you E mail me your number and I will get her to call you.

Snoop we know you love us really and your comments are meant in jest (well I hope they are) and we at TRRAC certainly do have a sense of humour. I think the concern was that if someone who does not know you or this race read your comments they could possibly be put of from entering the race thats all nothing personal and we will miss you on Sunday. Hope you have a good run in Barca.

68 - SusieBee
    469 - Laura26
    Mark Foster7 (damn cant remember my number)
  • Options
    Oops nearly left out Beardo

68 - SusieBee
    469 - Laura26
    *** Mark Foster7 (damn cant remember my number)
  • Options
    fi fifi fi ✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    Looking forward to this now,ran it last year and had a great time

68 - SusieBee
    469 - Laura26
    *** Mark Foster7 (damn cant remember my number)
    397 Fi Fi