Options

Monday 12 March 2007

13»

Comments

• Options
    Just read yesterday's post -

hilly
    Congrats on the medal, but take care of yourself as well.

BR
    diary's - LOL, but worrying how often that sort of thing happen's.

Sccobs
    Taper & you'll do it fine.
  • Options
    Me too Scoobs - you'll be great!

Trini - Rainbow Warrior - as in "green peace"? Great day's racing - well done.

Tigerrunner - b*gger - there's always one!

200 mins - PB 20 miler - great stuff - good luck for FLM.

Clink - good luck for Sunday.

Gonna Make it - congrats on your massive half PB.

MoL - good luck with your marathon - say hello to Sporta.

Matt the Brum - awesome!

Podro - another nationals finisher - well done.

Micksta - congrats on your highest ever plaing at nationals - sounds like you are going to enjoy the curry as much as BR.

What - 4.5 miles easy. It was supposed to rain so thought I'd better mow the lawns first - and thought I might even get a nice rainy run. No such luck - rained over-night!
  • Options
    NZC - Just the name of the local Triathlon club!

http://www.rainbowtri.com/
  • Options
    Great site Trini - it's just that the "Rainbow Warrior" here is known as the Greenpeace boat used for protesting about testing in the Pacific in the '80s. It was blown up by the French and one person was killed.
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    evening all,

Podro, I'm just following a very structured and focused training programe, which appears to be achieving what I want it to achieve. Every session has a purpose!

Tigerruner, currently looking at sub 2:45. Just got to get the pacing right!

Today's session:

What: 4 miles easy
    Why: legs very tired from yesterday, but not sore, which is a good sign.
  • Options
    NZC - Had to be the French!
  • Options
    What: 3 miles steady am (19:52) // 7.5 miles fartlek/hill repeats pm (46:23)
    Why: Bit of miles, but also speedwork session day - missed the club one.
    Last hard: Tonight
    Last rest: Yesterday

Decent runs today. Steady few miles in the morning, but I had an evening sleep and missed the club session so devised my own. Quality was good though, with an average pace of, even with the slower sections added, 6:10. Faster parts were quite within 5 min/mile category. It all felt pleasantly comfortable but pushed where appropriate - so was an alright substitute for a club run.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Some more great efforts and reports after yesterdays post, esp 200m on your 20m.

What - Lunch: 6.5m Track 5 x 1K (4:27, 4:20, 4:05, 4:06, 4:10) as you can see the pacing was pants.......

PM - 5.75m recovery run at Club

Why - Mara trg and feeling good

Last Hard - lunch session.

Last rest - Fri.

Take care
  • Options
    evening

well done GMI - what a massive PB

and congrats as well to 200 for another

lunchtime session for me today
    plan: 5 x 1.1 mile laps, first lap a warm-up, subsequent laps: 1100m (possibly slightly more than that) effort to the roundabout corner, jog the rest of the lap as recovery.

Haven't done too many interval-type sessions in the last 2 years, whenever I had, they usually involved desperate straining for target times I could never reach. But with a race coming up in 6 days, now was the time to see how much I've gained in the last month.

First effort: happy with that: 4:11. hadn't gone flat out, recovered fairly quickly
    Second effort: 4:06 - hey this is better than I dreamed. No straining, this is just controlled fast cruising - this is beginning to feel like it used to be 2 years ago, before the sciatica struck...
    Third effort: 4:08 - fine - no mounting fatigue, no loss of form, just one more to do....happy days are here again....
    Fourth effort: 200m or so in, became aware of some discomfort around my right ankle. Decided I'd cut the run short at the first corner just to play safe, but then immediately felt a click at the back of the ankle and suddenly I was hopping to an uncontrolled and painful stop. What the f*** have I done?

7 hours on, still not absolutely sure. Can walk on it, but some pain on dorsiflexion in the walking motion. Can tiptoe, though with some discomfort. Possibly feels a little better than it did a few hours ago.
    So I don't think it's a catastrophic injury - but internet searches suggest damage to soleus, possibly plantaris (but how serious? strain or tear? What was that click?).
    Ice applied, physio session booked for 1715 tomorrow. Many digits crossed.

So,
    i) will I make the critical Borders League fixture on Sunday?
    ii) how long will it take me to get back to where I was at 1.30 this afternoon?

Looks like that old cliche about the light at the end of the tunnel being the headlights of the oncoming train has come true.
    Feeling very frustrated and p*ssed off right now.
  • Options
    nooooooooooo
    Mike

see how it is tomorrow
  • Options
    Hello folks some incredible racing with to many to mention, well doen to you all, very inspiring. My comeback continues with an easy tentative 3 miles yesterday, no serious after effects. Bought myself a Garmin 305 as a return form injury present! Very wasteful but cheered me up. Any of you use them? Just waiting on delivery now.

Mike S look after that ankle.
  • Options
    tigerrunner - I think you have confused me with someone else from yesterday as I am definitely not doing the London race next month!

Evening everyone, an interesting thread today, just been catching up. One thing grabbed my attention which I will comment on, although I know someone will probably shoot me down for it. Hippo, if you are suffering such pain, why do you still do these longer races, yet advise hilly to think about not racing? I can see that hilly does do faster but shorter races, but I don't think she'd do marathon and further races, no matter how steady she took the pace.

Hmm, waiting for the backlash to start... so I'll post my training for the day.

What: fancied a run so went out and did a steady 3M in 26:30 mins.
    Why: felt great to be able to get out for a run and didn't fancy the gym tonight!
    Last hard: yesterday's hard 43M bike session

I've decided to do the Trans Pennine Trail (about 240M) bike ride with legionella and two others on 31st March - 3rd April so time in the saddle is definitely needed!
  • Options
    200 mins - excellent pb. I like to use SIS gels as they're isotonic and palatable. Also 14 miles into a race could be too late too ofset depletion.

Micksta - these sneaky northern people with their muddy, uneven and hilly XC routes. I look forward to running 20 laps of Lords Cricket Ground the next time the South hosts the National:-)

NZC - to answer your question, the Nationals have U13, 15, 17 and 20 races but no Vets races. There is a seperate British Masters' XC Championship soon.

Trinirunner - sounds like fun

MikeS - hope it's not as bad as you fear.
  • Options
    FL

my pain is a LOT less

i am healing
    gosh, i couldnt WALK without pain 10 days ago

i have reduced training mileages to be able to "race", and i feel better today than after any "race" this year

er, i say"race"-cos even by my low standards, it aint racing

so, I did yesterday in an average of 13.15 min miling
    not great, but not the worst ever

if i had been fir-i would have been targeting a sub 5
    i know i cant

im realistic, dont get me wrong, and im listening to my body

Im not in hillys class, and i dont do 100% effort, becuase i need my next race

dont know it that mkaes sense

i have already binned 3 races this year;((
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Mike S.. hope it ain't too serious, good luck.

BDP.. I took delivery of a 305 last week, once set up it is a lovely piece of kit.

Trini.. a fine effort in multi racing!

200.. excellent performance in the Duchy 20, bodes well for FLM.

Micksta, Wabo, Podro.. well raced all of you. Have a good week in Sazburg Podro.

Hipps.. congrats on no.52.

Gobi.. great stuff yesterday, hope the legs are holding up!

GMI.. well done on the PB, always nice to hear that running can help us remember our departed friends.

MTB.. excellent running as always.

Drew.. my clubmate Kev is running similar times to you (he ran 58:31 at Snake Lane 10). He was targeting 2:50 at FLM but some of the guys on the sub 2:45 thread are trying to talk him into greater heights!

Two steady runs today..

5 miles am, 7 miles pm.
  • Options
    OK Hippo, I understand. I realise you are binning races also because of the injuries. I am seeing a different side of life this year as I have discovered a new sport and can look at my running from the injury bench as a pursuit that I enjoy, no matter what my pace is.

Today's 3M is the furthest virtually pain-free run for me since Christmas, and it's not the heel that is causing me the pain now. It's my left ankle from the spraining I did in that ill-fated XC in early December. Hmmm, it'll get there I reckon.
  • Options
    FL - don't forget to stock up on spare inner tubes. Shhh don't tell anyone else but it's only 208 miles.

But if you fancy the extra mileage you could cycle to the pie shop for me at the end of each day.
  • Options
    Thanks for that BR - our National x-country of course is a much smaller affair which has grades from U/16 to Vets in separate races. The best runners used to be picked from each province to go to the Nationals so it was pretty special just making the provincial team - not sure what they do now - haven't been to a nationals for years. The thing is that our club system has declined so badly and most people don't register with an athletic club any more unless they want to run track or go to a nationals. We still have loads of people running - heaps running up to half marathon distance but not many registered club runners.
  • Options
    NZC
    I have read the thread, and echo your summation. Some very inspirational stuff going on.

Me?
    Last week 65 miles, including some faster sessions.
    Tonight: Training before tea. Opportunity for speed, but legs were a little full yesterday, so only moderate hopes.
    1.5 w/u
    5x1 mile reps off 1 minute (ooch)
    0.5 w/d
    The times don't seem to be too disappointing either.
    6:26 up
    6:13 dn
    6:19 up
    6:14 dn
    6:25 up

NOW THEN
    Barnsley, Hilly, NZC, Wardi, and all the "Thinking" hard training types. Should I keep to this type of session, or try something else as my fast slot?
  • Options
    Blisters - I've never done that many rep miles even when I was running well - think for every fast mile you run you need to run 10 easy.

I used to love to race so if I could run one mile under 6 mins - I wouldn't be far off it for 5 miles - so my answer would be to keep the miles long and easy - and only dip into the speedwork to see if there is anything there and if there is, tick off the 5k, 10k, half goaltimes and as you progress you can see it in black and white before you attempt your marathon. If I ran fast I wanted it to count - not in a training run.