• Options
    Go on... You know you want to !!

It's Surrey Constabularies central number
  • Options
    Not the STD clinic then?
  • Options
    Needed to get the results anyhow...
  • Options
    NO problems. I may be up at CH tonight, I'll be in a Phoenix cap!
  • Options
    Remember I am in the beginners lane. None of this 1:15 nonsense.

If I get there it will be for the last hour or so as kids concert starts at 7:00 at nearby school. So if your are there after 9:00, it would be great to see a pro in action!!

I will have a light blue HR cap and a brand new pair of goggles!!
  • Options
    What's the betting they leak...?
  • Options
    Cool. I may pop along. I'll get you down to 1:15, just draft me!
  • Options
    BP - I missed you last night!! Very glad that I tested the goggles first as they did need some adjusting!!

The concert didn't finish until after 9, so it was 9:25 before I was in the water. Perhpas you were earlier??

A bit of an improvement on the swim - a couple of 100s at 1:28 and some 74 swim golf, but generally an easy wind down before Sunday. I would like to have the chance to draft a 1:15 man though!!!
  • Options
    Sorry, totally forgot I had the physio so had to rest up last night.

1:28 is pretty decent - is that with tumble turns? I'll take a look at your stroke next time (I'm no expert, just passing on knowledge!) and see if we can't get you going faster with better technique.
  • Options
    No tumble turns...tried one and the goggles weren't fitted properly so had an unintended eyewash!! Good job there are no TTs in the Thames!!

Do you know the guy from G'ming SC who trains at CH nearly every night after 9:00? Yellow cap and v consistent pacing. The good news is that I was keeping up with him/swimming slightly faster over the short distances (not drafting, as I was in the beginners section!!) which is a first for me. So a bit of confidence has re-appeared for Sunday...phew! I will put the disppointing times at Datchett out of my mind and try to enjoy the Thames!!

Thanks again for the Spectrum suggestion. The googles were great once I had made the necessary adjustments.
  • Options
    TH2, any suggestions how one would learn tumble turns?
  • Options
    My swimmings just about getting good enough that turning is becoming a pain.
  • Options
    Barley ( this is Nic), I wrote a 'how to tumble turn' piece for the Zoggs newsletter a while ago - want me to dig it out and email it to you? It's meant to be easy to follow (hopefully!)
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    every time I've tried to tumble turn I end up completely disoriented.........Petal just makes it look so easy as she's being doing it since a kid..........

I know the principles but always end up in a mess and as I hate the pool I won't bother learning now............
  • Options
    TH2 - I know the guy you mean. Bit of a weirdo. He waits for me to hit the last length of a rep and tries to beat me on a one length sprint. He nearly always fails, depending on whether it is a recovery rep or not lol! I never noticed this until my girlfriend pointed it out.

He also tried to start giving 'tips' some of the Phoenix lot behind Chris' back (before I joined). I got warned about him.

Basically he thinks he's the business. Have you seen his butterfly? Hilarious is not the word.

If I were you I'd do my very best to kick his ass! You say consistent, but he never does anything particularly fast/pace change, which isn't going to get him anywhere.
  • Options
    BB - I am no expert. I used to fine as a kid, but no I find that I am quickly very out-of-breath with TT after a few. So my technique sucks. Good job my only races are OW.

I understand the theory, its just that I haven't practiced enough. There is a good article written by Paul Newsome at SwimSmooth (www.swimsmooth.com) in the free articles section which I would recommend. I think Paul explains things very well.

I would also love a link to the Zoggs paper MMut.

I had better be careful here as Hollywoood might be accusing me of being serious.Being a beginner, I was reading Paul's articles on putting on a wetsuit and juts stumbled on the tumbles!!!
  • Options
    BP - he's my brother, just didn't want to mention it before!
  • Options
    I really, really hope you are joking.
  • Options
    Sadly not, but he and I are thick skinned!!!
  • Options
    No I can't do this to you...he is absolutely no relation!!!
  • Options
    Nic

If I could be cheeky and ask for a copy of the tumble turns?
    Cheers Taffia

• Options
    LOL!

Poor BowiPod!
  • Options
    I think he competes at a reasonable level. Seems nice enough to me, but I know what you mean about his habit of racing you. It is annoying, but lets be honest we all do that to a certain extent!!!

Agree that he doesn't change pace, but he is very consistent over mid distance. I wish I had his pace over 1500m. He would kick my a** big time!!
  • Options
    Very good, I had my doubts. One thing it did confirm though was that you didn't go to your own brother for coaching, so he must be bad!

Do use him as a pacer though, if only to keep a smile on your face!
  • Options
    Thanks Nic, id be grateful if you could email me.

Carl1969uk@btinternet.com
  • Options
    Oh and thanks TH2 too
  • Options
    He also works where I work, so I give him a cheeky grin now and again.

I have noticed that he slows down quite a bit towards the end of his 1500m (I think) session - you can take him then!

DO you ever head down to the running track by the way?
  • Options
    Are you joking now..."he also works where I work"?

BP - you are in a very different league if you can beat this guy. I was thrilled to do it over 2 lengths (and I was cheating as it was during a 100m rep and he was on a longer swim!!).

I have used the track occassionally. One thing that i have learned from 2 years of tri and 2006 FLM is that I have good endurance and short term speed, but need to work on combining the two. I guess this is what my swimming times show. So this year, I have done the odd Yasso session and some steady paced 10k (ie trying to run steady paced 1k with -ve spilt) on the track. But really onyl done this a handful of times.

Met an incredible speed machine there last week. I was happily chatting with him, until he started to talk about competing in "the worlds" and being a sprinter but could only manage a 41m 10k!!! perhaps it was Hollywood in disguise?

I might be interested in meeting up at the track and the pool. Work commitments (in London) mean that I cannot make Pheonix times so no point me joing the club. But I definitely could do with some help/opportunities to train with proper athletes like yourself. i am sure it would spur me on.

• Options
    I have also seen some of you guys at the G3 races in the winter. Those are my favourite events of the year! I just love muddy hills and Martha's back passage....!!!
  • Options
    Will do Carl; key thing to remember I'd say is that the TT will be better the more speed you take into it. If you don't accelerate into it then it'll kind of fall apart part way through (which I think is where a lot of people go wrong!) Will email it to you!