Options

Welsh Castles Relay 2007?

anyone here take part this year?
it was a tough one, extremely hot.

Comments

• Options
    no lloyd but seen some pass in one of the villages just north of cardiff.

Also seen a man down about 2 miles from finish, poor b*gger.
  • Options
    the weather was extremely hot,no cloud cover, I ran Harlech Castle to Barmouth, probably the hotest and one of the hardest races i've done. I could handle the hills it was the midday sun. 3 runner collapsed but thankfully were ok in the end.
    The atmosphere at all the legs were great and every team helped with water, so many desperate runners on all the stages.
    A truley fantastic and one off type of event. I strongly recommend it if you can get 20 runners at your club to enter.
    race details are at
    www.lescroupiersrunningclub.org.uk/castles/
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Hi Lloyd

Yes, I was running on Saturday. I did Harlech to Barmouth as well! Took me 70 minutes, started a bit too hard & paid for it in the middle part of the race, recovered towards the end. I've put a race report in today's daily training thread.

Nutty Runner did the leg to Harlech (which I did last year).

It is a great event, but hard to get into as they turn down teams every year. We tried to get a second team in - no chance!
  • Options
    Thought it was a great event, we only joined in from brecon onwards, that little fella ran his legs off going up around pen y fan, but when he got to the finish, he was hardly breaking a sweat....
    Did anyone get one of those leaflets advertising ritebites health food, with all the club special deals on?
    The vitacoco went down well in that hot weather.

The websites quite informative to.
  • Options
    200, great race report just read it
    70 minutes is a great time! took me 82 minutes but ive onlt been running 2 years, not used to that punishment. i just gave up around 7 miles and started jogging that sun was just too much.
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lloyd - weren't there some great runners showing us how it should be done?

Bet you'll be back next year, running even faster with the benefit of another year's training & experience!
  • Options
    That poor sod that collapsed on the Taff trail just off the Western Avenue, less than a mile off Cardiff Castle, he looked well and truly shattered. I overheard they were waiting for an ambulance for him. Glad everyone was ok in the end cos it was a hot day Sunday.
  • Options
    I was suprised how many casualties there were
    ,i think one leg on saturday had 6 non finishers, great race though and fantastic support off everyone. Fingers crossed next year its slightly less hot
  • Options
    lloyd

i ran the Dogellau to MY.... leg over the mountain, which was the leg where 6 dropped out, v v hard in the heat heard all ok though , support from all clubs second to none great race and we will be back next year (Bitton RR)
  • Options
    Hi I can leg four to Harlech. It was my first time doing this event and I loved it, although we had a man down on Sunday which was a bit scary.
  • Options
    200 - you did Harlech to Barmouth? Me too!

Not sure what my finish time was - 63 I think - finished 5th on the stage courtesy of two people collapsing in the last mile who had been in front of me until then - ouch!

Was a little surprised by where the finish of the leg was too - I thought it was going to be right in to Barmouth - might have been able to hang on for 4th if I'd known, - then again might have tried too hard and fallen down...
  • Options
    Lloyd - sorry just re read and seen you did Harlech Barmouth too. - It was soooo hot wasn't it?
  • Options
    dad of two, impressive time mate weldone! saturday was a killer for racing, sunday i think was just as bad. it was my first year at the castles is there always that many casualties?
    I raced at the rose inn 4 miler tonight, my legs were not suprisingly still shot from the castles
  • Options
    my first castles too.

did a 14 miler training the next day - and intervals tonight. Achilles playing up though.

We managed 14th overall I think - had a 3rd, 4th, and 5th during the race.

Some amazing running at times I hear - Dan Smith for example.
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    DoT
    Very impressive time - must remember not to race you on the beach at Exmouth for money!

Lloyd
    Believe it or not I think it was even hotter last year, but the only casualty then was a chap who got hit by a motorbike. He was running at WCR again this year, so obviously recovered OK.

Hope I make our team again next year.

Results are now up on the Les Cruopiers web site.
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    ... or even LLes Croupiers!
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    ... or even Les Croupiers !!
  • Options
    the heat did seem extreme, in my race experience which i have little of i wasn't sure how hard to push. Theres that fine line to pushing yourself hard and collapsing, now i have a better idea for next time
  • Options
    and one last thing if it wasn't for the support on the side of the road giving out water and cheering i'm not sure i would of made it.
  • Options
    I ran the leg from Drovers Arms to Brecon on Suday. I've run the Castle's about fifteen times and this year was the worst I remember for runners dropping out due to the conditions.

I think I got dehydrated on Saturday and when it came to my leg on Sunday my quads were starting to ache after 10 minutes. I was very happy to reach the finish in Brecon, but was dismayed to see a runner on the side of the road just before the finish being treated by the Red Cross, somebody said he might have been hit by a car, but I'm not sure. My quads have been worse in the last few days than after any of my seven marathons, doubt I'll be back running before the weekend.

It's a great event made all the better for the support given to all runners from all clubs. Let's hope conditions will be more favourable for running next year.
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Next year we must run this thread before the event - then we get a chance of saying Hi! on the day.

Scabbie - I've just run the last 2 years, fairly identical conditions - great for supporting but tough for running! As we run 1 leg & support 19, I think I'd vote for warm & dry every time - although less sun would be good.
  • Options
    I have to agree with 200, that the conditions were fantastic for supporting, but I have to take my hat off to all those who dug down deep and made it very enjoyable for others.
    Can anybody say - who was that lightning fast chap who won the brecon stage?

And did he enjoy his free drink???

Well done to all!!
  • Options
    If you mean stage 15, I believe that was Simon Jones, a South Wales runner who competes for Belgrave Harriers. He won the Swansea 5K on Tuesday in a time of 14:54, so as you say he is lightning fast.
  • Options
    "free drink", do you mean the bottle of water in the goody bag?
  • Options
    I ran stage 15 also, finished in 1hr20. Like you i have felt really tired this week. Did FLM this year, and although did not run for a week or so afterwards, did not feel like i have this week. Also saw guy near the finish being looked after by the ST Johns, didn;t realise he had been knocked over? The support was great, particularly all the water being handed out. First time I have done it
  • Options
    I meant stage 16, up from brecon centre and around pen y fan ...... by the sounds of it, alot of the stages were run exceptionally well, especially considering the weather.
    As for the free drink, I always try to give the 1st person across the line, one of my special vita coco natural sports drinks, just as a token for doing well.

Not a fan of those artificial things!
    I'm trying to convince all runners to take a totful of this fantastic natural water that's packed with nutrients.....

look forward to speaking to some of you at the next event.
  • Options
    Well done all who did this - especially the brave mountaineers !

I was lucky enough to scrape a place in the Les C Vets team for a 3rd year running, doing leg 8 (Dinas M to Foel) - many of our top vets run for the senior mens team, making space in the Vets for joggers like me :@)

It was a bit on the bumpy side with 7-8 miles of steady climbing followed by a 4 mile run for home. Like others, I suffered a little (OK, a lot !) as the heat and humidity took their toll. The support and camarade on route was excellent though - a big thanks to those on water station duty, marshalling (Air Products ?) and the convoy of support. Even with lots to drink I still spaced-out long before the finish. A lie-down in a nice trout river after the race soon put the world to rights though. Beats showers any day !

This is such a special race - 'a celebration of running'. Thanks for all those who worked so hard to make this possible. Can't wait for next yeay !
  • Options
    weldone old father Tim!
    definately a special race! was an honor to be a part of it
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    coach 2
    I think that was Dan Robinson from Stroud, sub 2:15 marathon runner (but he still didn't break the stage record!)

oft
    Glad your top vets were in the Open team, otherwise we (SWRR Vets) would have had a tough time competing against you! That was a fairly tough leg you had there compared to mine (Harlech-Barmouth).
  • Options
    Andrew Yates 4
    You beat me by two minutes on leg 15, well done. I was speaking to a runner from Les Croupier yesterday and it looks like the collapsed runner at the end of that stage wasn't hit by a car but was another victim of the heat.

OFT
    Get Lloydy to give you an easier stage next year.