Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    Great results from last night, very impressive especially those sub-35 guys. Congratulations to all those who got PB's.

Like Dull & JEJ said, it all very inspiring and I'm now looking forward to my next 10k. Dull - I don't want to put a downer on you, but you do know that previous Hatfield Broadoak races have been officially classified as 'short', see results on Athletics Data. All the guys in my club had their PB's there and are mighty annoyed (only time your PB will go backwards!).

Because of the possible problems with Gosport I've decided to enter Great Eastern Run HM. Oct is now becoming my key month

7th Standalone 10k (Herts champs) - target 33:xx time
    14th GER HM - target 74:xx
    27th Beachy Head Marathon - target top 3 finish

It's going to be a very tough month and I suspect my BH marathon may suffer. Gobi - did you say you would run GER? If yes, do you want to join my sub-75 attempt?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice running TT, well played. With plenty more to come too.

NM2 – I told you the other day that turning professional would pay off.

I too feel inspired to get (10k) racing, lucky I posted my Chichester 10k entry earlier in the week. Good job it’s not for a couple of months though, it’s a PB course and I’ll be looking for one. I can use that race time to predict a GSR Tergat.
  • Options
    Couldn't give a toss about Hatfield Broadoak now coronium as I ran a 37.55 at the Asthma 10k at Dorney Lake a year later, which wasn't short.

Also my 37.56 at Hatfield Broadoak, didn't register on atleticsdata, as the qualifying standard was 37.30 for a V45-50. It's 39.00 for a V50-55.

I'm currently ranked 62nd in the South of England over 10k for my age. Amazing really as I don't enjoy running the distance, and I haven't been doing competitive running for long.

Dull Napoleon (V50 all comers record holder for the marathon in the Faroe Islands)

Admit it CRAB your jealous.

• Options
    NM2, Gobi, TT and GR - Excellent running guys, especially on that course, which is not one I would target a PB on. NM2 - Your new target has to be sub 34 on a flat course, or there is still time to re-consider Mablethorpe marathon (16th Sept)!!

Looking for a bit of advice; I have been suffering a little mild pain on my eft hip since my long run on Sunday. I have run 44 miles since over 7 sessions and whilst it is only slightly worse, I am a bit worried that my next run could screw it up totally. Anyone had these symptoms? I am not sure if it is ITB. I am currently feeling good for sub 2.55 at Mablethorpe so would hatre to screw it up now.
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    Dull - perfect! Very impressed by your overall ranking.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Cheers TR. I would think so. Wait til I'm fresh and watch me go ;-))

Dull - would you swap your all comers record for a sub 3?

NDO - cheers. How bad is the pain? Would you say it actually hurts, or is it just a little uncomfortable? I've got issues with the hip flexors on my right-hand side. They tighten up gradually over a period of time, but a massage (combined with yoga) is normally enough to keep it at bay for a month or two before it starts to become an issue again. I also find that I get a little discomfort in my lower back just by the hip as well, do you have anything like that?

I've never had ITB issues, so couldn't comment as to whether your symptoms potentially match that.
  • Options
    TR - cheers, though I'd like to clarify for anyone who thinks this has gone to my head...I haven't really turned professional. I just have a bit more time to run now that I'm working from home four days per week!

NDO - good to hear from you. I had some bad ITB in my knee after Cardiff last year but I found this exercise that absolutely zapped it within a week.It was on peak performance and by some guy called Uncle Walt, or something..... Put `peak performance ITB Walt' into google and it comes up.

It's a weird one and you look a bit of a tool doing it (had to hide from the wife as she used top get hysterics every time I attempted it - looks a bit like one-legged disco dancing...) but it sure as hell worked.
  • Options
    Dull-lol...I'm honoured to know you

TR[b/]-Still undecided about midhurst as I'm on holiday that week and could be at my folks in Devon.
    Chichester should be a good one for you assuming you can stay injury free....I'm expecting great things-no pressure mind.

NDOW[b/]-sorry mate I'm not the best person to give advice on injuries as i always try and run through them,hence I've been plagued with P.F for months now.
    I'd be inclined to have a few easy days and safeguard what you've got.
  • Options
    Shit i thought i was going to impress you all then.......obviously not sussed the bold yet,I'll go back to my abbacus and slide rule
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Nice try GR ;-)

NM2 - that looks like it might actually help stretch out my hip flexors too. I'll give it a go. Ta.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice one GR, looks like we all had a good night.

I'm finished with 10kms for this year and only have 3 races left 100km, half marathon and GSR.

Coro

yes I will be at GER, not convinced I can run sub 75 will depend how I recover from the 100km and if I can do the necessary training.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    NM2 – I know I’m only joshing. Respect due though!

GR – I’m not sure on doing Midhurst myself yet. Havn’t tried any fast running yet. I’d stay in Devon if I were you – North Devon for a surf ?

I may just declare WTF and run Midhurst just to see how fit or un-fit I am, It’ll give me a starting point for NF1/2. Although I’m going to be well short of mileage for that one. Hope to be doing 10’s and 12’s in a few weeks though. I did last years Gosport ½ on only a couple of runs of longer than a hour, so I’m sure I ‘ll do ok.

I agree on good things from Chichester - should be a sub 38 there.

Gobi - I have faith in you for the sub 75.
  • Options
    Excellent results from Yately – particularly impressed with sub 35s and the speed of JH1's al-fresco (sub 1 minute?) that must a PB. Reminds me that at some point I should try a 10K.

The training is going well for me – but unfortunately I am off on a stag-do tomorrow, which I am sure will do nothing but damage (and increase weight). Also a bit worried as it is my first stag-do since kids/taking up running seriously and I reckon that I am 3 stone under optimal stag-do weight (although currently only 4lbs above preferred marafun weight of 11.5 st).
  • Options
    Dull - incredibly jealous that I am not 50 yes. But I am not in it for titles it is the performance that drives me on. You are a bit old for pot hunting pal ;oP (Seriously something to be very proud of and a great stoty to tell.)

Talking of performances a fair few fair efforts at Yateley. Sub35 is a Tergat that I aspire to (although it is more linked to bigger picture mara Tergat). But for me performance of the night is definitely flipper. Pure class and you either got it or you aint. That is the easy bit now you gotta perfect the art of soiling yourself on the hoof whilst maintaining pace and form ;o)

Au revoir you were.
  • Options
    rats.... performance of my life eclipsed by a sub 60-second al-fresco.

Might go for a lunchtime curry next time.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    you and me both NM2
  • Options
    Dull - would you swap your all comers record for a sub 3?

Yes I'd swap it for a sub 3 in the Faroes.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Speaking of nutters, a guy I know has just competed in the 135 mile Badwater race in Death Valley, California.

But not only did he finish the race (for the third time), he turned round and ran all the way back to the start - 270 miles in 5 days!!

I sponsored him, and said I'd double up if he did the same. Guess it's pay up time.
  • Options
    I am not worthy.
  • Options
    I used to be worthy
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Nice answer Dull ;-)

DanA - almost makes you seem sane. Almost
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    DanA

Badwater both ways. Thats just mad !!!!!!
  • Options
    Surprise result from my evening tempo run... Aiming for 3.5M @ Tergat 10km pace, and won the race outright. The turning point seemed to come about 2 miles in when I had a conversation with the lead cyclist. The two guys running with me up til that point suddenly dropped back 10 or so meters, appearing to settle for a best of 2nd - I just retained the pace to finish 10s clear of them in 17:59.

Come September, if I can hang on for 2.7 more miles at that pace (and if tonight was anything to go by, I probably can), I'd be a very happy bunny indeed. Tonight was actually the first time I've run sub 16 for 5km on the road, so a big boost to confidence.

Seems to be a good week of racing all round thus far.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Nice one JEJ, great running. A sub 32 10k would be going some!
  • Options
    Am I on the sub 2 hour thread by mistake?

Worked my eyeballs and lungs out tonight at a 4 mile race, including spending most of it shoulder to shoulder with a rival.

24:13 and a PB. Well happy. 3rd place.

There's a testy little hill in mile 2, so I was pleased to be 11:58 at the turn.

2w/u, 2w/d so 8 for the evening.
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    CRAB

Looks like you'll be seeing me in Swanage after all. Have canned Nottingham as not that many teams from my club going and it's slightly shorter to get to Swanage. Although will have to sleep in a tent on the Sat night so won't get that great sleep. Time to do battle with that hill again. Also we must be in the same wave @ 7.25. No tagging onto my feet in the swim mind.
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    JEJ - very fast run. The transition from 3/5k track racing to 10k looks like it is going to work out pretty much as you had planned? I'm sure the subsequent transition to marafun should be equally successful.

Blisters - well done on the PB

• Options
    Good stuff Blisters - did you beat your rival though?

JEJ - great run. Did you say you were doing Bluewater - will that be the sub-32 attempt?
  • Options
    Blisters - congrats on the PB.

Coronium - we'll have to wait and see. I still lack a bit of confidence on the road (vs track) but a couple more good results and I should be over that. I also wonder whether doing some faster reps on the road would help - at the moment at least 95% of my race pace training is on the track.

Nick - no to Bluewater - I'll be in New York as of 8/8 for 10 days. Whilst over there I'll run the NYRR club champs 5M. It's a fairly hilly route around Central Park but an extremely competitive field, so I may just be able to edge under my pb of 30:10 if I try really, really hard.
    10km road is on 9/9, but will be an untapered effort. The big tergat is on the track on 30/9, 11 days after a Dull-style 3000m tune up.

Come Autumn, I'll run the Cabbage Patch 10 after my E-O-S jogging break (as per last year) and that result, plus the 10kms will determine whether I enter the FLM. The final decision will be in March after running a (hopefully) quick HM 5 weeks out (which to add to the conversation between Coronium and Gobi t'other week, happens to be what my fast training partner recommends; 4 weeks being too close together).
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Jej,

you EOS jooging break.. how long does it last and what do you do in it ? Just wondering cos I'm having a bit of a break now (its really needed !) but hate the thought of doing fck all...

CM