Options

garmin forerunner 305

I'm just getting back into my running and have bought one of these off ebay so just waiting for it to arrive in the next few days

I just wondered what they are like, are they easy to use etc etc, I've read a fair bit about them but I'd like to know what actual users think of them and what features are etc

Comments

• Options
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/review/reviewProductReviews.asp?rpn=1686&prod=Garmin-Forerunner-305&rcn=20&rgn=6&sp=&v=1

Lots of independent reviews on here.

I'm in love with my one by the way, though had some problems getting it to communicate with the Training Centre software to begin with. All sorted now, and am beginning to get in to the features a bit more. Virtual Partner is excellent.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that.

I've just been given £250 and might use it to buy a 305.
  • Options
    the 305 is ace. The Training Centre software is crap tho - download sportstracks it's much better.
  • Options
    I'd recommend the 305 to everybody. So simple to use and I totally agree with Pit Stop, use sportstracks, it really is the best software by far and most of all it's free!!! Make sure you update your 305's firmware to the latest version available at the Garmin website. Happy running!
  • Options
    I've too just recently had a 305 ( a couple of weeks ago for my birthday), and am really enjoying it.

I used the Garmin Training Center to schedule my runs in preparation for the Great North Run, and found that I'd forgotten to add an extra segment after my last speedwork recovery in order to cool down. After I noticed (about a mile later) that the unit was no longer timing I pressed the start button and carried on, wondering what the Garmin software would let me do to try and patch it all up.

When I went to download the data from the unit to my PC, it wouldn't let me connect and the history I had on Training Center has disappeared. I'm not too worried about this as it's all in SportTracks anyway, so it's not the end of the world but I'd like to know why it happened. Could it be that I deleted the history from my Garmin unit, and that transferred onto Training Center?

Anyway, before my mini-rant I just wanted to add my vote to SportTracks. I've already been using it for a couple of years to manually input my runs, but so much more of the features have been opened up to me since I've got some GPS data into it. Oh yes, and the maps are infinitely better - Training Center does confuse the A55 in north Wales and the railway line somehow.

Right then, I'm going to keep looking for some answres to my ranting...
  • Options
    I think mine is brill, it stopped working last week and I was lost! Thought I may have to give up running - sad I know! But it just needed a good charge! I find it really motivates me.
  • Options
    It needs to be charged? From the mains I presume?
  • Options
    just got one of these from a guy in the USA from ebay - £127 delivered which is a good price, also came with a UK plug.

Just starting to use it (haven't installed training centre yet) but early indications are that it is good.

Will have a look at sportstracks now...
  • Options
    Paul, I got mine from the same guy I think how long did yours take to arrive? I'm desperate for mine and theres a bloody postal strike tomorrow so it won't be coming then
  • Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    Brilliant bit of kit - it transformed my training.

LOL Rhys - the Training Centre map for my Great Orme circuit has me running in the Irish Sea!!
  • Options
    Mine took about two and a half weeks to arrive and was delivered by the Postie.

About a week and a half after I won the auction (went to the US ebay as it was cheaper than his UK price) I got an email from paypal to say it had shipped. Was a bit annoyed that it took so long to actually leave him, but the unit arrived a week later.

He sends you a UK plug adaptor but the power supply is universal and only needs a UK 3 pin insert, I had an old Palm Pilot cradle that used the same insert - also seen them on other IT type kit (broadband routers etc.).
  • Options
    tested mine out for the first time yesterday, and loaded into up into the motionbased.com analysis tool. Quality peice of kit.

Available at significant discounts from some online places. Paid £150 from blokestuff.com for mine...
  • Options
    Ordered mine yesterday from www.boots.com, £124.99 including p&p.

Just been on the website and they're now sold out - hope my order was processed in time!
  • Options
    I recent;y bought a garmin forerunner 205 which I think is pretty similar to the 305 but without the heart rate monitor - and I love it! It really motivates my training as I always want to either go a bit further or increase my time comparing it to the previous route.
  • Options

I bought one last week, and it's fab. Problem I have is that to use it with SportsTracks I need to buy a PC because I am a Mac user.
  • Options
    Try Parallels/Bootcamp..

Wouldn't buy a PC not after using my iMac.
  • Options
    I find mine really motivates me. it has so many different workouts.
    I had a problem with the software at first but Garmin kindly helped me with that. I do have a problem downloading different maps, It gets a bit confused and can only cope with one at a time. I use Motionbased to anylize my work outs and Mapmyrun as a route finder. they are both good sites.
  • Options

Can we have a straw poll?

Who as got one and has had a trouble free few years with it?

Who has had one with gremlins (sorted at home)?

Who has had one that needed to go back?

• Options

I just got mine today.  I got it off ebay from the US.  Probably the same person.  He dispatched it really quicky but the problem was when it arrived here.  I got charged £27 by customs and Parcelforce didn't even tell me they had it so it sat in their depot for over a week until I managed to track it down.

Have been for a run with it for the first time this evening and it is excellent.  It really motivates.

• Options

I'm now seriously interested.

I'm looking at BHIP to do the supply, but hoping to persuade them by asking for a price match against 3 other offers at £150.

Anyone tried them for pricematch?

It's a shame that Boots are no longer in the frame at £125 inc p/p.

• Options
    BHIP is very good with price match in my experience. I emailed them about a price match for polar RS200sd and they emailed me back (v quickly - an hour later or so) approving the match. Prompt delivery from these guys too.
  • Options

Tonight I have ordered a FR305 from BHIP, with a price match request.

I'm all excited now.

By this time next year I might even know how to use half of it.

• Options

Just got mine on Friday. Ordered on Wednesday night from GPSdeals via Amazon.

Cost £145 plus £5 (rond fuigures) for standard shipping (1 day!)

Trying it out for Sunday run tomorrow - well excited.

• Options
    hmm, not sure what "rond fuigures" are ...
  • Options

Blisters - which supplier sid you tell BHIP was selling them at £150?
  • Options

Sid said that he listed 3 suppliers:

Global Gizmos, Digital Zone, Blokestuff. Including the next day postage in each of them they then all came out within a band of  £151.69 to £152.99. So I lied to you guys, to the tune of £1.69. I did look at GPS Deals, but couldn't locate the website again when I was filling in my claim application. I do see that GPSDeals are offering a free 18 month warranty.

I also spotted, much later, a site called GPS4less.co.uk who appeared to be undercutting the whole lot of them, but I CNBA to go through the registration process to find out about the Ts and Cs. Naughty website.

• Options

Just to provide  abalanced picture...

I`m on my 2nd 305 and all-in-all it`s an excellent piece of kit.

But - my 2 complaints are:

1) both seem(ed) to `die` at somewhere round the 20 mile mark on my long runs. Indeed, that`s why I replaced the 1st one. No. 2 Garmin worked fine for about a year then started doing the same thing.

Anyone come across this prob ? 

2) they are not much good in cities with high rise building. Ran the Berlin Mara last year. Lost connection after about mile 5 and never regained it. A bit of a bugger since I had been relying on the Garmin to gauge pace. I vaguely recall that quite a few people had trouble with their 305 at the FLM.

I`m now experimenting with a Polar 800SD  to see whether that is any more reliable.

• Options

I've only had mine for 4 months, it's a great bit of kit (although I wished they made them smaller and more watchlike!). Never had any problems with satalites, but then I tend to run on my own through parks, so I guess nothing much to interfere with the signal there. I love the "race yourself" mode, and find myself using that a fair bit. Still keep meaning to give the other functions a go, but I'm no good with technology, so it will probably take another 4 months to figure them all out!

• Options

yeah I was gonna get mine from amazon 155 but think I will have a shop around

• Options

Just to confirm that BHIP has accepted my order and refunded the price match.

Excited.