Options

Great North Run 2008

Comments

• Options

400 years later I'm finally on the marathon photos website, but it could take as long as the race itself to actually view them. Zzzzzz.

1586, seen 4 so far, 3 of them are hideous. I think there are 6 but I can't remember - it's so long since the home page was on my screen!

• Options

Thanks to everyone who replied to help me with logging on under my own name! Spent ages looking for the log off button, then realised that i needed to scroll over to the right to a part of the screen that i can't normally see!

The computer now logs on as me. Not sure if OH knows his password, but he hardly ever goes on the website so will worry about that later!

There are no matches for my photo on marathon photos. Just as well, saw myself in background as Sue Barker was closing the programe (tipped off by a friend) and I look very round and red!

• Options

Hey Nicola,

Welcome!

Glad you got logged on as yourself!

• Options
    CC2 - one photo loaded up of you it looks quite good i think - you look like a real runner!  rather than a pretendy on, like me! image
  • Options

Blimey - still haven't read back properly - its just taken forever to order a photo and the video whatsit from marathon photos (I Know, I know I'm a softy for those things)

Hi Nicola - good to see your logged on as you at last!!

Evening XL and WTS!!

WTS - I'm quite pleased with my 2nd photo so I've cropped it and order it! (i'm going to try and see yours now - I may be some time!!)

• Options

Shame about the other ones eh?! Especially the one where I'm blowing out my cheeks and the one in the sprint finish where my elbow is glued to my ribs or summat!!!

Haven't checked out any one else's pics yet. It's too darn slow and I need my bed!

• Options

Well they look ok to me though i can only see the other 3 small - i tried all my patience waiting for the 1st to load...... i can;t decide if i like mine or not, 1st one is ok but the rest, well i may not buy them!

I may get the video as i sprinted the last bit like an idiot! image

• Options

Hi, Mandie, CC2 image

Haven't run since Saturday - didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Might try another run on Friday morning. Fingers crossed.

• Options

well least there is over a week till the GCR, so still a little time!

What's the gcr course like? easier or harder than gnr??? 

• Options

Alright Leslie your on! If I can't get into the FLM I'll do Edinburgh. (EEK!)

Hi Mandie R!

• Options

JC  bitten the bullet in gcr now - you going for it too?

• Options

I posted a few times on the GNR 07 thread and am now here.  I loved my first GNR. Was in Orange Zone B.  I can safely say it was the most amazing running experience of my life. Miles went 1: 8:41; 5 mile: 39 mins; 10 milespilt was 1hr 17.  Finished in 1hr 41m o4 s (<20 seconds slower than my PB which I set at Glasgow half 4 weeks ago.  I'm well chuffed and when I crossed the finish line at Sth Shields and saw my time I felt like crying tears of joy (quite an admission for a 40 yr old man).  The day was awesome.  I did think I was going to miss the baggage buses as I got stuck at Haymarket metro after a Japanese Unergroundtype experience on the Metro, then again at Newcastle Uni.  Once I'd got the stuff on the bus I began to realx and take it all in.

It was amazing: spitfire at the start; the bands; the support; the Nike speaker alley with Mr Birightside blaring; the red arrows - I was almost at North Shields metro when they went over but their love heart was superb.  I had a blast.  I was expecting the tough hill at 8 - 11ish and ran 11 through 12 on mental energy. Somehow found ebergy from somewhere for the last mile and even managed a sprint(ish) to the finish.  I was staying with friends - a girl I've known since I was 16 - and her husband. 

I'd love to get in next year.  I managed a 4 mile run today to ease the aches.  Well done all

• Options

on, um errr

damm

i don't really have an excuse!

Yes i will do i, i'm off work till Nov 1st so it's perfect really!

• Options
    That's the spirit Russell, remember you get guaranteed entry to Edinburgh as a GNR 07 finisher!
  • Options

Hey David,

Well Done!!, you practically finished in the time time as me, i did 1hr16min for the 10 mile split too so i can tell you kep it up for the last three miles!

• Options
    Leslie don't forget to mention it's a marathon!!! lol
  • Options

Hi Russell <waves>!!!

Jon - do the GCR !  I've done it twice now and can honestly say its well worth the 2 hour drive up from Manchester. Its totally different to the GNR and its fairly flat with a shortish hill at about mile 9 which will be no problem to you I promise!!! Its an out and back course with a lovely little village as the turning point. Get entered - you wont regret it!

• Options
    hi Mandie -the gcr is easier then gnr then?
  • Options

I'm off to my bed now - aiming to get out in the morning for the first time since Sunday and want to go out for about 11 miles. Going to take it nice and slow as its my only chance to do a longish run before the GCR cos of rubbish shifts over the weekend.

Nite nite everyone !

• Options

Hi Stewud - I wouldn't say it was easier....just different - its still 13.1 miles so it will hurt (well it hurts me anyway!)

really off to bed now!

• Options
    Hi mandie, it's only just over an hour's drive for me so travelling is not an issue! image 
  • Options
    David, I think I was passing the 'wall of sound' at about the same time as you. I can remember that it really kept me going at that point but couldn't for the life of me remember what song was playing!! I think I actually sang along for a bit as well!!
  • Options
    Cheers Jon Carr. Night all
  • Options

I was thinking before , with it  being a 'flagship' event for Newcastle..... i wonder why Newcastle don't get involved in a small way, it would be good PR..... something like....

On the morning of the race they could open St James' Park  and have a big warm up on platforms on the pitch with music over the tannoy and have the lower stands open for people to sit around.... good for people who get there early... and for all those who are new to the GNR and north east to have another memory..... they could have water/lucozade stuff and some other stuff (can;t think of what)..... the cardiff half got me thinking as they finish in the stadium.... obviously the GNR won't change but would be nice if somethign happened that they could combine the two somehow

• Options
  • Options
    finally got on to the photos from work, 10 so far. number 1654
  • Options
    10, that's a good number!
  • Options

Hi folks, night owl here image

I still have that post-GNR buzz also Russell image

No luck with the photos earlier, so shall try again now when most people will be in bed.  I managed a 4 mile run today and it was nice to be out there again.  It was almost as if I had to go, in case Sunday was a fluke and I'm not really a runner at all image.  Not my easiest run as my shins needed stretching halfway, they were a bit stiff and sore but not painful.  Later I went out for a gentle bike ride with my son, who is getting quite keen on cycling - nice to get him away from the DVD player!

I can remember stuff from the wall of sound whilst I was waiting in my pen (e.g. Eurythmics (sp?) Sweet Dreams, and Frankie goes to Hollywood's Born to Run - which I now have on my i-pod!).  Don't remember for the life of me what was on when I passed it though!

• Options
    Thinking of doing the Great Women's Run next year.  Any other of you girls up for it?  Maybe we could meet up afterwards for a social image
  • Options
    Looks like everyone else is tucked up in bed so I'll bid you goodnight image