Options

Wednesday 16th July

As it's now exactly four years 'til I get to be outclassed by forty-somethings rather than by seniors, I thought I'd treat myself to a training thread of my own.

No, I have no life. :-)

Today I shall be ambling round a cricket field but not bowling, in order to protect my (improving) achilles niggle. Racing tomorrow, so won't be tempted to run properly.

Had fun at club this evening. Arrived in a truly crap mood, left happy. Oooh, it was hot though.

That's it. I'm off to waste another year criminally. :-)

Comments

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Swerve!!!

I did 3 miles last night at club,speed work sprints etc it was a good uplifting session.

This morning did 3 miles easy as legs aching from last night mind you I did some speed work as well...lovely and fresh at 5.30 this morning.

Happy training!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Just out for 6 NOW..........
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Swerve1

WP-impressed-running at 5.30am!

What:5 miles easy
    Why:schedule
    Last hard:last night
    Last rest:Monday
  • Options
    Morning All, Happy B.Day Swerve.

Drew + Graham, I'm stunned you guys did 20M and above yesterday in that heat.

What: 6-7M easy
    Why: Recovery run
    Last hard run: Last nights club fartlek session (although I only managed 4 out of the 6 efforts due to the heat).
    Last rest day: Saturday

Looks a bit cooler today, at least so far...
  • Options
    Happy Birthday to you, Swerve.

What:10k race (tired legs and bad toe, think I might have a shocker)
    Last hard :Monday
    Last rest: Saturday.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Swerve :-)

what: club night, speedwork on the track &
    cycling there and back.
    why: want to go faster
  • Options
    Good Luck Matt for the race :-)
  • Options
    happy birthday Swerve and morning to everybody

yesterday had a very good 10 miler at pace ran at about 7pm still showing 30 degrees

today 10k race

have a good day everybody and watch out for the thunder & lightening
  • Options
    More plodding in my head than outside this week, so will force myself out tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, honest :)
  • Options
    morning all

happy birthday Swerve. Didn't realise you were so young!

what: 5th Wirral Seaside race 2003

why: cos it's happening tonight

last hard day: Sun
    last rest day: Tue

It remains to be seen whether the thundery showers will have made it up here by 19:00 this evening...may make a significant difference to conditions. If things stay as they are, can anticipate temps of ~27C and a headwind of about 10mph. The heat won't affect times much, but the headwind will.

May have to settle for just trying to break 18 mins if so. Or else concentrating on running "tactically" i.e. for highest position rather than best time.
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Go for it LHMGTG!

Happy birthday Swerve.

What: Pool exercises followed by a short swim, Pilates class to follow, guts permitting.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try a run again. The GP didn't say don't!
  • Options
    What: 23 mile run home from work (3 hours 20 minutes - hot work on tired heavy legs, frequent drink stops, took 20 minutes longer than usual)
    Why: Ultra marathon in 5 weeks time
    Last hard: 3 days ago (Rottingdean Windmills Marathon)
    Last easy: 2 days ago (6 miles recovery)
    Last rest: 5 days ago
    Next run: Steady 12 miles this evening with option to cut short at 8.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys/Gals, HB to Swerve

Happy to report that I ran yesterday, although even the limited session we did was hard having done little quality for a couple of weeks. Club did short pyramid of 30, 90, 180, 90, 30s. Will definitely run about 7 or 8m later (after 9 or during the rain if it comes! (love getting wet))

Bod

• Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone

Happy birthday Swerve. Bet you can't wait 'til your forty!!!!

Have a good run tonight Mike. It would be great to see you under 18 minutes. Ideal conditions would be for torrential rain/thunderstorm which stops at 6:50, leaving you with a calm, oxygen enriched atmosphere.

Graham, you must be absolutely knackered after last night's 23 miler. Don't know how you can manage another 12 miler tonight. Good on you!

Today's schedule:

What: 35 minutes recovery (actually took 39 minutes)
    Why: 'cause it's in my schedule and I feel absolutely knackered after yesterday's session
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Saturday
  • Options
    D - see my "Outrageous" post in the general forum.
  • Options
    Hi!

what: rest from running today. Gym later.

Happy birthday Swerve!

Have a happy day!
  • Options
    Afternoon all

What: 5x1000m with 400m recovery
    Why: weekly attempt at speed session
    Last hard: last Wed
    Last rest: yesterday - except ended up cleaning entire house which wasn't that restful!
  • Options
    Afternoon all

Well done all those who still seem to managing to get good runs in despite the heat.

What: club hill session at local park - have to wait and see if it is sun or rain. It is still hot and sunny here.
    Why: trying to get stronger and faster

Good luck Matt, Angelis & Mike on your races tonight.

Happy Birthday Swerve
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Swerve, and good luck to Matt, Angelis and Mike for tonight.

What: Anything would be an improvement on the last week! Seriously, I'd like to do 5-6 miles with a few bursts of speed thrown in, but if it's still sweltering I know there's no chance of that - I just wilt and die in this heat. So: the above if it's cooled off a bit (it's raining here - yippee!) and if it's sultry and sticky then 4-5 miles steady.
    Why: Feel that the quality of my training has subsided over the past week due to the heat.
    Last hard: Just getting out there on Monday night.
    Last rest: Yesterday.
  • Options
    Well, having gone over on my ankle water fighting with kids on Sunday, I've been resting up but went out for 4 and half miles today, tenetatively! All seems well, decided to do half marathon on Sunday though just as a "social" as training has gone to pot over last few weeks!
  • Options
    PS Happy Birthday to Swerve!
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Swerve, and good luck to all of you racing this evening.

AM - 15 mile cycle
    PM - Lincoln 5K

Hope it cools down a bit before 7.30!
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Phew, the heat is getting unbearable. Haven't run since Thurday because of it - I don't thrive on the warm stuff to say the least, but I really MUST run tonight.

I'll start with 3 miles and see how it goes. If I'm still alive, I'll do a second lap.

One of these days I may just have to force myself out of bed in the early morning.........
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Feeling the same, Nessie. Must be the only time I've ever found the thought of being out of bed at the crack of dawn strangely appealing.

Have managed to keep running through the hot stuff but I have to say that quality feels as though it's been seriously compromised: I never normally have to stop during a run but over the last two weeks it's been several times on each occasion.
  • Options
    Running in the hots stuff has definitely improved my endurance level - before going out drink all day (water and isotonic drinks) so as to start off fully hydrated, wear comfortable breathable clothing (no cottons), start very slowly at recovery pace, get into an easy rhythm and build from there, drink small amounts frequently, choose a route that has an early get out option if required, stop if it it gets too much - even if you only manage a few miles you'd have given the legs a work out, you'll hsve done something that 99% of other people wouldn't even contemplate and you'll really have earned that cold beer or glass of chardonay. Go have a run, be glad and enjoy!
  • Options
    BTW, Happy Birthday Swerve.
  • Options
    Oh, and HB to Swerve.
  • Options
    :-)

You lovely lot!

(of course, I wasn't fishing for Happy Birthdays!)
  • Options
    B*ll*cks you weren't!
  • Options
    Ay-up all

Its been another hot 'n'

What : Bike - 22mile hilly bike ride (road)
    Why : TRI training

Last Hard Day : Tuesday
    Last Long Run : Sunday
    Last Rest Day : Saturday

Training is feeling great at the mo'

:o)