Options

cardiff marathon

Comments

• Options
    The promised storm turned out to be a brief shower. It is no cooler so I expect to melt at the Scenic 7.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good luck DB, hope the race goes well!

It's nice and cool here today, but I understand it's only for a day or two.

Enjoyed 6 easy miles this afternoon.
  • Options
    Rain, rain, rain. Lovely.

If my legs weren't quite so stiff I'd go out for a run. I love running in the rain, it makes me feel really alive. Got loads of work to do so may manage a recovery run this evening. Possibly 5 miles.
  • Options
    DB, i quite agree with you. the sound of the rain on my windows this morning was heaven. Hoping that it stays a bit cooler for the weekend as am doing Dartford half. Rest day yesterday, so speed session and weights tonight.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Apparently it's going to be a scorcher weekend! You never know they could be wrong!

Only a swim for me today. Felt good, very cold water though.
  • Options
    hilly - dont say that, i'm running a half on sunday. i thought it might be cooler! well have to make sure i hydrate well before hand. training is going all to schedule which is good.
  • Options
    whats anyone else up this weekend, training wise? I'm going for 17 miles on Sunday..really looking forward to it!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Doing a 10k race on Sat evening then will do 15 on Sunday.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    I am doing a mere 10 miles on Sunday!!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Same here - 10 miles Sunday for me too!
  • Options
    Hi everyone
    Have entered the Bristol half and the Cardiff Marathon will be my first marathon. I intend driving to Cardiff early Sunday morning, am I likely to have delays or problems registering (between 6.00 7.00). Staying at the Holiday Inn Sunday night. Training has been a real stuggle with the current hot weather, following the halhigton Marathon schedule. I not sure whether doing the Bristol Half 3 weeks before is a wise move though. Is the Cardiff course undulating or flat?
  • Options
    sumo, welcome!

From all the info I have its flat!!

good running
  • Options
    Got slightly caught out 2 nights ago. It started off a bit warm & sticky, then developed into a thunderstorm. My shirt stayed dry, as it was still in the drawer.

Tonight I'll do 4 miles gently, but get up tomorrow for 15-18 miles, wife permitting.

My midweek sessions are behind programme still, but the longer weekend ones are OK. I'm sadly a bit behind pace though.
  • Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Sumo,
    The preceding four Sundays to Cardiff, Im doing Two halfs and two 10Ks !!!!
    And Cardiff IS flat !

Got to share this with you guys .......

Last Wednesday, Long run. 7.30 am.
    Started in Port Talbot, ran 4 miles along quiet roads, up the Afan valley into a 10 mile loop through Afan Argoed forestry.
    For company, I had several rabbits, one fox and a deer too !! And I even got within ten foot of a dormouse which was busy playing (excuse the pun ) cat and mouse with a black bird !!!!!
    When I got to Cymmer (at about 9 miles ) I took a half mile detour to a mountain spring where I refilled my empty bottle and swilled a lot of salt off my face with cold fresh water !!!!!
    Totally refreshed ( well slightly ) and downhill all the way home !!!!!!
    All in 3hrs 30 minutes !!
    The sort of run that makes it so worthwhile !!!!!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a wonderful run George!

Welcome aboard Sumo, I'm also doing Bristol 3 weeks before. It's about the right time to run a half before a marathon, no problem! Well I hope not!
  • Options
    Forgive me Forum for I have sinned.
    It's been over a week since my last confession.
    During that time I have committed the sin of not running FOUR times and to make it worse they were four consecutive days.
    Last Sunday I did a 16 1/2 mile long run and then had Monday off. The trouble is that I also had Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (a particularly heinous crime as it's club night and I went and got pissed with a mate instead!) and Friday off too!

To make up for it I've just done 8 1/2 slowish miles and I'll do 18 - 20 tomorrow.

I throw myself on the mercy of the righteous Form and beg forgiveness and absolution!
  • Options
    Absolution granted Bear. We all need time off to:
    a) get pissed
    b) repair bodily damage
    c) feel guilty, therefore refreshed

I bet your next run is an absolute corker.
  • Options
    Up at 6:30 (not by plan) and managed a 21 miler. High points and low points:
    highs-
    1)discovering an outside tap at the 12 mile point. I'm afraid it doesn't compare with George's run, but hey, small mercies.
    2)13 mile time 1:46
    3)21 mile time 3:03
    Lows-
    1) nearly getting flattened by a 30 ton Terex dump truck
    2)The wall. I even had to walk for a bit at mile 20. I guess that I should gradually increase my distances, and going from 15 to 21 is a bit much.
    3)21 mile time 3:03
  • Options
    Short brisk run last night follewed by a 45 min spin class. rest today and then dartford half tomorrow. Training seems to be going well, i've really noticed a difference with the speed sessions - not really done them before. Building up the mileage steadily especially with the hot weather. George, i'm glad i'm not the only one doing quite a lot b4 the marathon, i dont know if its because i am quite slow, but i never feel as drained as people imply i should.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done on your long run blisters. The highs and lows sound similar to mine last week at the same distance.

Doing an off road 10k this evening and then hopefully 15 tomorrow if the race hasn't taken too much out of my legs!

• Options
    Did twelve early this morning but my heart wasn't in it. Even walked a bit between eight and nine and again in the tenth. Been in a fair bit of knee/hip/thigh pain on the right hand side since I did the Scenic 7 on Wednesday.

Have hung up trainers to jet off to Greece early tomorrow morning. This year I am not taking my kit, I'm just going to swim every day. When get back will have five weeks before Bristol half to try to turn todays 12 in 2.05 into that 13 in sub 1.47 with the added advantage of being extra fat and extra hungover.

See ya in two weeks.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Have a good holiday DB!!
  • Options
    Hey George,
    The run through Afan Argoed via Cymmer and Pontrhydyfen is where i usually take my long training runs. I usually start at forestry entrance by Pontrhydyfen car park, run through forestry track to Cymmer, then back past Cynonville and Afan Argoed until i reach Pontrhydyfen car park again. I've measured this circular route to be 9.4 miles on my bike, and if you take 2 of these circular routes followed by a further run from Pontrhydyfen car park to cattle grid / barrier and back again it adds up to exactly 26.2 miles !
  • Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    You got it Burnt Out ! When you get to the end of the path at Cymmer where you have to go up on to the road for 100 yards to traffic lights. Instead of crossing the bridge, go left along the old railway line (on the left hand side of the valley)to Glyncorrwg. The mountain spring is about 600-800 yards along and runs right down to the path and through a culvert under !
    Failing that, Adrian in the Refresh pub will always oblige you with fresh water !

Tell me more, when do ypou normally do this route ? how fast ?
  • Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Blisters
    ... Disappointed with 3.03 for 21 miles on a training run ????????? You jest !!!!!

Dragon Breath
    Have a good holiday, and send us a postcard .
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Did 6.5 miles off road race last night-felt yuk the whole way round, breathing was awful, just couldn't get enough air in. Great course though and overall didn't do too bad, finishing in 7th lady position.

Now I'm off to do 15 miles before it gets too hot!!

Have good runs today everyone!
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Well done Hilly on race even though your were feeling under the weather.

just back from 10 miles my longest yet the wind was against me but I did it!!!!

Good luck on all runs today.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Hilly - well done on the racing - I think those are the sort of sessions I need to add into my programme.

Welsh Poppy - Well done on the 10M- it sounds like you are rising to the challenges and obviously improving all the while.

George - If I had been able to keep up the pace to 13 for the rest of the way it would/should have been 2:51. Even that is outside my 3:15 - 3:30 target.

All of you: good luck and good running today, it looks really pleasant for it. I am due to do a short & gentle run this evening.
  • Options
    hiya,

back from holidays.... anyone did the race in Pontrhydyfen yesterday?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Welsh Poppy-I've said well done on training but I'll say it again! I can't remember are you doing the half at Cardiff or the Marathon?

blisters-I love off road racing, it's my favourite, but at this time of year, like many, I can't cope with the heat and humidity. A shame really as I love summer and come winter we'll all be moaning about how cold it is!

Hi Nick-hope you had a good holiday-anywhere nice?

Are you doing Cardiff Marathon?