Options

Great North Run 2008

Comments

• Options
    Hello Toomuchtoodo - Wellcome to Film 2008!     Who are you running for?
  • Options
    Night Stoxy, hope youve got all the mud out of your ears!
  • Options

I didn't see Cellular, but it did sound like a good film when it was released. I don't watch many now - need time to get cinema life out of my head.... shift patterns didn't give you many reasonable hours with which to run.....

Night Stoxy image

• Options
    Hi Stoxy - good race report! Have you ever done NT10k? It lulls you into a false sense of enjoyability for the first few miles and then dashes all hopes of a good time for the last couple of miles. 'Tis a bitch to be sure!

Asked my OH his favourite gangster film and he said without hesitation 'Get Carter'!

Anyone doing anything interesting tomorrow? I always feel under pressure to be doing something exciting on a Bank Holiday but it usually ends up with us driving round the region aimlessly before having a pub lunch somewhere, bemoaning the fact we've got to go back to work tomorrow.

Thanks for the trifle, RLTW. Unfortunately I'm still famished. I need to just go to bed and it'll be morning (and therefore breakfast) quicker.

Donnie Brasco ..... is that the one with Jake Gyllenhall and the giant rabbit?
  • Options
    Erm sorry!

Welcome, TooMuchToDo!
  • Options
    . . . .  and of course we have the odd forum hic-cup from time to time !
  • Options
    I say . . . we have the odd forum hic-cup from time to time !  image
  • Options

Mornin'.... Film 2008?  image Right up my street! 

I'm running for the British Heart Foundation - was going to run for Beating Bowel Cancer as they're my normal charity as Mum has bowel cancer, but they gone and gave all their places away before I got my bit of paper in!  Quite pleased to run for BHF as lost Dad to heart disease when I was a teenager (many a year ago.. shh)

Hoping to get in under 2 hours this time - last time was 2006 when came in just over 2.35, but a hell of a lot fitter and one hard marathon under my belt now.

Today, just doing OU work, baking as promised would take chocolate cake into work tomorrow and watching the Colour of Magic, so sorry nothing interesting Shielsy!

• Options

Donnie Darko is the one with Jake and the big bunny... Donnie Brasco is the Johnny Depp one..

• Options

Morning folks.

Just did 37 minutes (all I have time for today). Wind is a bitch this morning. Nice and sunny and then that wind cuts you like ice. Ran through Monkseaton and up Waggonways. Anyone else run up Waggonways? I like the run up there. Anyway I really feel like I am getting into the running again, it's becoming a matter of routine which is good. No longer a bind.

So now it's Sainsburys, in-laws image, friend round for tea, start to pack for Brazil then do some work ready for work tomorrow image

• Options
    Does anyone think young kids are getting cheekier these days? My 5 year old just called me "baldy"!
  • Options

afternoon everyone.

superb efforts by everyone running/racing yesterday.

managed 8miles this morning surely that should count as 16miles for the monthly mileage chart as it's always double time on a bank holiday.

• Options

Morning all

Happy easter to one and all.Hope the choccy eggs have been given a bashingimage.

Well done to everyone out running over the bank holiday weekend.

Russell-Sounds like you had a character building 20 miles.

Some great race reports from the NT10K.Well done to all those who took part,especially given the weather conditions.

Stoxy-Great race report and well done.

Yesterdays marathon:

Set off for Dumfries at 6am with a covering of snow on the jam jar.Thought 'oh no,great start to the day,hope the roads are canny'.Clear run over the A69,just a wee bit of hill fog outside of Carlisle but  nowt to worry about.

Got to Dumfries at 8am and found the sports centre(start) ok.Nice and sunny with a wee breeze,but that breeze was cold!!

Changed for the marathon and then we were walked about 50mts to the start by a piper.The field was small compared to other races ive done.About 120 had entered,about 90-100 there at the start.

At 9.30am away we went.The first 1-11 miles were champion.Nice and sunny,water or orange juice at the stations every 3 miles.Just 1 hill to contend with at 7 mile.Very quiet country roads,glorious countryside with views of the snow covered hills.Got talking to a bloke who supports Sunderland at 9.5 mile.Talking about Roker park and all things Football really.It was his 99th marathon and he's planned his 100th doing the connemara marathon.Felt like a novice when I told him it was my 7th marathon!!

From 11-13 mile we turned and began the run for 'home'.It was at this point that we could feel the cold wind coming from your side.Again we ran along quite country roads.The field was really spread out and very often I found myself running with nobody about.

From 13 miles onwards until the finish I had the cold wind to contend with right in my face.At 14 mile to 18 was dig deep time.At 16 mile there was a nasty incline.From 19 mile to 21 mile there was 1 or 2 hills to put up with.I caught up with a lad at 20 mile.I thought we could run along together and have a bit of crack to push each other along.He was cream crackered.We stayed together for 1 mile and then he stopped at the 21 mile water station.From this point onwards it got very hard.I didn't have anyone anywhere near me to run with.With a couple of hills to get over,it was all in the mind to push on.There was nobody to shout you on from the side of the roads,not a sole.Only people out and about were walking their dogs or going for Sunday lunch.At the 25 mile marker I knew i'd made it,but again,not a sole about.It wasn't until the last turning,just before the 26 mile marker that I got a round of applause from a marshall and a 'not far now mate,nearly there,well done'.

On crossing the line I was ower the moon.The relief at running 26.2 mile, once again was trememdous.The time was unimportant to me.Just to get round,enjoy it, was the priority.No neveragains,cursing,swearing,checking my sanity.image

What I did gain from doing it was,the last 5 miles,without anyone to give you that support from the side of the road is hard.I really had to dig deep both mentally and physically.Running 21 miles and then doing the last stretch 'on you own' was hard but knowing I did it gives me the confidence in future races that when im struggling ive got that strength to push on.

Oh aye,the time:4hr27mns.image

• Options
    Well done Mick! I don't know how you a) managed to find another sunderland supporter in such a small field of people in an entirely different country! and b) managed to run so much of it on your own. Amazing!
  • Options
    loved the report mick,excellent effort,well done.
  • Options

Oh aye

The goody bag was canny-nice t-shirt,medal,pen and a cadburys' cream eggimage

A cracking cup of soup with a bread roll,cup of tea,cartons of juice afterwards,all free.

Great event,well organised,marshalled.The event deserves more publicity and entrants.

• Options
    CC2-Nee matter where you go in this world,you'll find a mackemimage.
  • Options
    Is that cos they're all trying to escape from Sunderland? image
  • Options
    Now now.....we like to get out and spread the good word.image
  • Options
    Hiya Mick!

Great to know you are home safe and sound. CONGRATULATIONS on a fantastic effort!!!!

The Lochaber Marathon is very lonely as well, although not as bad as yours yesterday. Its blimmin' tough mentally doing those last few miles on your own isn't it? (my brother dropped out of Lochaber last year at about mile 17 due to lack of training so I know how hard it gets).

How are the legs doing today? Just think, in a couple of weeks time you'll be looking forward to doing 2 in 2 weeks!!!

• Options
    Oh - forgot to say 'Well Done' to Stoxy when I posted yesterday - sorry Stoxy image
  • Options

Back to work for me at 5pm today image - this weekend has flown.

Managed another 10.9 miles this morning in much less windy conditions than saturday thank goodness. One more longish run for me later in the week then its the Wilmslow Half next Sunday with Russell. Looking forward to it now!

• Options
    Thanks Mandie-Aye your mind and body are 'SREAMING' at you to stop,but that would be too easy to do.The legs are a wee bit sore today.I can manage the stairs OK and I've just made myself some dinner with a cracking cup of tea.imageThis week will be a good gage to see how I'll be fixed for 2 in 2 weeks.Well done on your 10.9miles today.Your training sounds like its back on schedule.You'll hopefully enjoy Wilmslow half.
  • Options

sounds like there have been some character-building races this weekend - well done to everyone.

I've done 1hr 50mins avoiding the treadmill because of my ankle. I hate it when I'm on it, I want to be on it when I can't.... Did bike, stepper and x-trainer instead. Now I will be studying this afternoon but staying in here so that I can chat too - studying is boring when you are on your own.....

How's everyone else's bank holiday monday? image

• Options
    running on your own mick,did you draw on your experiences being at the stadium of light under the mick mccarthy era.image
  • Options
    Hiya Mick - well done on your 7th marathon!! And a brill report of it by the way - great reading. The first 11 miles sounded very scenic, what a shame the wind spoilt things (I wonder if there's a commercially available balaclave type thing, with just slits for your eyes, nose and mouth when the wind is really biting cold. Sorry to hear you had to run alone without crowd support for a large chunk of time ... if it's any consolation I was wondering how you were getting on as I did the NT10k yesterday, and I'm sure others from here were there with you in spirit as well - you should just imagine us lot cheering you on.

Well done dasher dart on your 8/16 miles, lol and Mandie's nearly 11 miles.

Vicki Thompson - I've had a very uneventful Bank Holiday ... drove down to the coast to see people braving the blizzards walking along the beach, got some shopping in for dinner tonight (fillet steak, peppercorn sauce and all the trimmings, yum) and will probably be doing a bit of housework before no doubt settling down to catch the end of Ben Hur or some such.

My legs are killing me today - a bit gutted about that really.
  • Options
    Shielsy - shame about your legs, but at least you can take it easy later hopefully? I just went downstairs to get a towel, and I can already feel my thighs and ass from my gym work - that's not good news for tomorrow.....
  • Options

Vicki-Just taking things easy today.Been for a wee walk round to our lads house to drop the easter eggs off for his  2 younguns,mind you they're 19 and 17.

Dasher-I refused to go to the SOL under Mcarthey's and Bob Murray's leadership.

Shielsy-Many thanks.for the thoughts.I did think of you lot at about 19 mile.I did enter the NT10K when the marathon was on the 16th,so if they hadn't changed the date for the marathon I would have been with you yesterday.That thought did cross my mind yesterday.The scenery is beautiful.There is a half marathon in Dumfries planned for the 21st September.Entries are now openimage.That charlie drake sounds lovely.Ive just settled down to watch Ben Hur.Take care of those legs.

• Options

Afternoon folks

Mick - HUGE congratulations on your marathon!! That was a great report, well done mate!! 

It's a bit of a strange day here. With my new job, we have to have someone on call outside of normal hours, and my honeymoon period is now over, so today is my first time On Call, and it's really odd just sitting waiting (or dreading) my job mob going off, although it's more likely to do it at silly o'clock in the morning!! image. I know I don't have to just sit and wait for a call, but I just can't relax thinking it may go off any minute. Oh well, I suppose I'll get used to it.

I did sneak out for a gentle 4 miles earlier (ran with my phone, how sad is that!!), as I've felt I had to give myself a kick up the bum to get back into proper training. I'm taking it back to basics for a while, really cutting the distance back until my legs (and my head) get used to the distance again, then I'll start to build things up slowly. I've got ages till my next race, a 10k in mid May, so I should hopefully be ok by then.

I hope you are all recovering well from yesterdays races. Shielsy, sorry to hear your legs are playing up today. Can't you get your OH to massage them??

Mandie, well done on your nearly 11, glad it was less windy for you

• Options

Some really fab race reports on here - very well done to all of you!!!

I woke up yesterday morning to a good couple of inches of snow and decided it looked just perfect fo a run.  Did 7 miles then my toes just couldn't take any more!  The snow was turning to slushy puddles of icy water and I had no choice but to plough right through them.  My poor toes didn't know what had hit them!

The rest of my Easter Sunday didn't quite turn out as expected.  First Easter as a 'sad singleton' and usually do a big family meal but parents were otherwise engaged.  Youngest daughter was away at friends so it was just me and daughter no 1.  I suggested we just go to the local for our lunch and landed there at around 1ish. We got home at  6 after consuming 2 bottles of wine ( I maybe should point out here that my daughter wasn't even drinking wine!), at which point my friend turned up at the door with a bottle of wine! Living room was taken up by daughter and friends by this point so friend and I spent the rest of the evening sprawled on my bed, getting very tipsy and behaving more like stupid 16 years than the grown ups we are supposed to be!  How I haven't got a hangover today is a complete mystery!  Was a good night though - haven't giggled like that for a long time.

Just been for a 4 miler today but planning on throwing a good few runs while i'm off work the next couple of weeks.

Enjoy your bank hol before you all go back to work (he he!)