Options

The 100 press-ups programme

Comments

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Morning all.

A question for Those Who Can Do Press-Ups: should we warm up before launching into them? Maybe do a couple of half-presses or modified ones to get the blood circulating?

I'm feeling gung-ho today so I'm gonna start this evening rather than tomorrow as originally planned. That way I'll have the option of an extra rest day by Friday (and I feel I might need it).

• Options
    Question: What is the point of this?
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Before I answer that, I need to know how many you score in the test!
  • Options
    Mr DG just did 25 in his test and his now looking very smug!!  Will be very nice if he looks like Daniel Craig in 6 weeks time image
  • Options

Yaas! Day 2 success.

This time I started from the floor to get my alignment correct and pushed up but counted 1 from the next down and up.

Mutley I found circling the arms backwards and forwards about the shoulders is particularly good for getting the circulation going plus some triceps and shoulder stretching.  Also doing this in between sets seems to be effective.

I notice the rest time for day 2 for example says "90s (or longer if required)" so I went to the kitchen for a drink in between and I would say it means you can space the days challenge over the whole day if you want.

I have resolved though if I get stuck on any day and can't complete the reps within the time stated or fail on the last set then I will repeat the day next time until I manage it before moving on so that when I eventually reach the end of week 6 I can have a fair go at completing 100 press ups at once. 

• Options
    I did 22 18 18 18 14 on the kitchen floor at 7.30 this morning. No warm-up. Was hard though
  • Options

count me in, gonna start tomorrow though as i'm just about to go out for a roast dinner!

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I'm crap at maths but I think that adds up to 90 for JB .... image

• Options

I guess the point is the same as the point of running?

Anyway, 2 days done now.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Day one, week one.

2-2-2-2-at least 3 (actual 6).

Damage report: sore moobs, otherwise okay.

• Options
    Room for a little one? image Just been looking at the website, and fancy myself a bit of a personal challenge image I've managed 2 press ups in pilates when we've been forced to do plank, but I doubt I got very far down! Think I might start on the modified ones tomorrow and see how I get on.
  • Options
    Good show ll - this will be the buffest thread on RW in 6 weeks image
  • Options

just did the test: 23 modified with lots of crunching in the shoulder joints - sounds terrible!!!

day 1 tomorrow - yikes!

how was milton keynes, jb? 

• Options

It was pretty good actually RD.

A bit congested at the start and too twisty and turny for my preference but the organisation was excellent - missed out on a pb by 24 seconds but not too disappointed.

Can't believe I was doing press-ups in the kitchen at 7.30 - we have a galley kitchen and it was a tight squeeze! I think next week will prove whether I'm capable of getting any further with the program as I have always struggled to up the numbers in the past. My shoulder joint clicks sometimes these days - never done that before.

When's your next race?

• Options

the idea of you doing your press ups in the kitchen did make me smile!!

well done on the race - close to your pb there!

i don't think i have a race til the salisbury 54321 where i'm doing the 20k option. it's off road so should be a good training run.

how is your training for dubbers going?  

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I can see myself doing press-ups in the kitchen ... with a pork pie strategically placed to tempt me to get down nice and low, low enough to sniff and drool ...
  • Options
    i'd never get back up again, tho!!
  • Options
    I'd get up, but with a pork pie in my gob!
  • Options
    lol kwilter! maybe someone could put another one down for you each time, could improve your score no end!!!
  • Options
    Training for dubbers going quite well. I'm going for the "craic" as much as anything else and a bit of sightseeing!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

The point is, its a personal challenge, like training for your first race

I am going to repeat week one

Week one

tu - 2-2-2-2-3 = 11
    th - 4-3-2-2-4 = 15
    sa - 15-13-10-10-20 = 68 Knee push ups

week total =94

started week on full press ups, found very hard. So did another test yesterday= 25.
    But i shall repeat week one on Monday doing the knee push ups. todays lot were the knee ones. I'll do this till i get extra strength

• Options
    have heard the craic is excellent - i believe there's even a pre mara run image
  • Options

Hmmm, I used to be able to do loads of press-ups when I was in the army - I used to do them in the bathroom before a shower in basic training - and my speciality were clap pressups, 10 at a time! Haven't done many in the last few years and like Muttley, my arms are spindly thanks to running.

I might have a go at this programme also, so I'll do the test first then start tomorrow....... test initiating......

God, that was shocking! Managed 12. Yes, I think this would be a good idea image, after all, I've got 6 weeks until I darken the doors of work again and to go back with decent arms will be good (after all, the running is pants at the moment)!

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

They may "only" be knee press-ups, Pammie, but that's still some going ... 68!

Welcome aboard FL image

I was going to say that my arms feel fine ... but I settled down on the rowing machine this evening and bailed out at 7,000 metres into a 10,000-metre session. Just felt tired, especially in the arms so it must be having an effect. 

• Options

Day 1 of week 1 complete.

10 10 8 7 10 (Thought it was 7 rather than 6...)

My shoulders can feel it now!

• Options

Hi mind if I tag along.

Managed 5 full and 15 at half and am knackered but strangely pleased as I didn't think I'd manage that But now feel that I need a long lie down and a large drink image

• Options
    Reluctantly, no gratefully, am bailing out of this one. Day 2 was murder and convinced myself this was a pointless exercise. Admire those of you who complete the course. I don't think I can cope with the rapid increase in reps.
  • Options
    I run to become a better runner. Why do pressups? To be a better presser upper?
  • Options
    Yes, clearly...or to improve all over core strength, to find a new challenge, to tone up, etc
  • Options

Managed 50 press ups each day last week.

Going to try 55 a day this week ( as well as sit ups ).

My oldest son (who is 16) is trying this as well.

We seem to have  ' a wee competition '  in our house...